Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Marinmo posted:

While I use Fedora I guess I'm in the camp of retards here as well.

Please find a better way of saying this without doing an ableism. Thank you.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
TBQH I find my linux desktops much, much less fussy to deal with than any windows install I can remember. I've done more janitoring keeping the Windows 10 install I use once a quarter than I do my daily driver. I am also too old and busy to care about tweaking it too much or stray too far from my distro (Fedora) defaults. GNOME with a handful of extensions works pretty much exactly how I'd want a desktop to and gets out of the way. Flatpak brings timely and safe automatic updates for most Apps I use. I'm kind of an ideal case but it does work for me :shrug:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I think the desktop is quite good. I have to use Windows for work but something like KDE absolutely smokes it for normal stuff. Most stuff can be done in the gui. Setting up stuff like printers isn't a total pain in the balls and I actually found it easier than the last time I did it on Windows.There's a lot of variety in what you can do with the desktop depending on use case and your hardware.

The GUI software stores are extremely hit and miss though. It also seems like there's not that much GUI systems admin stuff around. Like there's yast and ??? I don't think most distros take this seriously, even und desktop oriented ones.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

its not distros not taking it seriously, its no one taking it seriously. distros aren't the only(or even main) source for software, they just repackage other peoples work and configure it into something vaguely cohesive. They write toolling towards that end(yast, foreman, assorted package managers) but applications mostly come from people wanting a thing and then writing it

Also, as a systems admin, gui tools wouldn't do me much good, because they would A) need to be installed on the remote machine, which would require installing a GUI and all that extra bloat and attack surface and B) need to be used via xforwarding or VNC over ssh, neither of which is a spectacular experience.

all that said, if you want some admin tooling in the GUI, you are gonna have to be the change you want to see and write it yourself

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I personally find KDE a better desktop environment than Windows, and use it as my daily driver by choice. It's actually more user friendly, and everything makes more sense than Windows. I use the CLI slightly more in Linux than I do in Windows, but not by a huge amount. If it weren't for Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat then I'd basically have no need for Windows for my work, and if it weren't for games (and my personal obsession with having the redundancy of a dual-boot) I wouldn't need Windows on my personal machine.

poo poo, with Windows 10, even printing works better and more consistently from my Linux desktop than Windows.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fuckprintersblingee.gif

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

RFC2324 posted:

its not distros not taking it seriously, its no one taking it seriously. distros aren't the only(or even main) source for software, they just repackage other peoples work and configure it into something vaguely cohesive. They write toolling towards that end(yast, foreman, assorted package managers) but applications mostly come from people wanting a thing and then writing it

Also, as a systems admin, gui tools wouldn't do me much good, because they would A) need to be installed on the remote machine, which would require installing a GUI and all that extra bloat and attack surface and B) need to be used via xforwarding or VNC over ssh, neither of which is a spectacular experience.

all that said, if you want some admin tooling in the GUI, you are gonna have to be the change you want to see and write it yourself

I probably shouldn't have said systems admin stuff, I mean more managing your desktop machine. Aside from yast there's not a whole lot of utilities that really ties all the configuration options and tooling options together into a somewhat cohesive GUI. I mention distros because they're the ones that make at least the initial software and config choices, so they're in the best position to present those choices to the user in an obvious way.

It doesn't bother me, I am happy to use the terminal to change stuff if I have to, but it just seems like a bit of a gap compared to stuff like the device manager, control panel etc in Windows.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Buck Turgidson posted:

I probably shouldn't have said systems admin stuff, I mean more managing your desktop machine. Aside from yast there's not a whole lot of utilities that really ties all the configuration options and tooling options together into a somewhat cohesive GUI. I mention distros because they're the ones that make at least the initial software and config choices, so they're in the best position to present those choices to the user in an obvious way.

It doesn't bother me, I am happy to use the terminal to change stuff if I have to, but it just seems like a bit of a gap compared to stuff like the device manager, control panel etc in Windows.

oh yeah, and yast(tho I use the ncurses version, not the X version) is frankly one of the main reasons I use opensuse on most of my boxes. between yast and snapper it stands head and shoulders above the rest.

But yes, yast is almost unique in the UNIX world, afaik the only thing similar being smitty in AIX

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'd just like to add that I've been fighting with the amd control panel being out of sync with the underlying radeon drivers, and those drivers being half-broken and giving me random black windows and games that don't launch.

On Windows 11. The linux amd drivers are fine.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah since AMD redid their open source drivers it's been fantastic. Don't think I could ever go back to nvidia now.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I want an amd card so bad but not willing to pay scalper prices to replace my 2070s just for a smoother linux experience :sigh:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I paid an extortionate amount for two RX6700s for us a year ago, when people where complaining that they were overpriced for the performance. They're another 40% or so more now (if you can find one), and I've been very happy with mine.

I have to admit we mined a bit of ethereum to offset the cost, though - until the entire Russia/Ukraine thing increased the cost of gas, which increased the amount of power exported from Norway, which increased the cost of electricity fivefold or so. Still, we earned enough to push the price down to a "normal" price. (Putin :argh:)

The integrated Vega 8 graphics in the new laptop are fine, too - it even works in FreeBSD, given very new versions of everything.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I tried Linux Mint live for a minute, the default looks so good with a 3000:2000 screen. Is that Wayland? I was thinking about going full Wayland with a sway WM if it looks that good. I heard Emacs 29 is going to be Wayland native, if you compile it from the master branch.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

but does vim support wayland?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I'm having issues finding drivers for MT7921K WiFi 6E. Does anyone know how to get it going? I installed Mint because it looked best out of the box, and updated to the latest kernel, still no WiFi. Only ethernet and lo is popping up.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

other people posted:

In Fedora and I think most major distros if you double click an RPM or whatever the distro's Software app pops up and asks if you want to install it. Click Okay and you are done.

Which distro and software are you trying to install?

Thanks all for the responses, they make sense.

I've got EndeavourOS running in a VM at the moment (installing on bare metal alongside Windows 11 didn't go so well - I get some sarcastic but funny message saying that some kind of request was made but no one cares).

Take NordVPN for instance. There's an entry in the repo that installs, but when I launch it form the app drawer, nothing happens. I went to the Nord website and downloaded https://repo.nordvpn.com/deb/nordvpn/debian/pool/main/nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb, but I don't know what the hell to do with that.

I'll keep trying - I'd like to try out a Linux distro on my main desktop for a while but it'll be difficult until I feel more confident about the basics.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks all for the responses, they make sense.

I've got EndeavourOS running in a VM at the moment (installing on bare metal alongside Windows 11 didn't go so well - I get some sarcastic but funny message saying that some kind of request was made but no one cares).

Take NordVPN for instance. There's an entry in the repo that installs, but when I launch it form the app drawer, nothing happens. I went to the Nord website and downloaded https://repo.nordvpn.com/deb/nordvpn/debian/pool/main/nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb, but I don't know what the hell to do with that.

I'll keep trying - I'd like to try out a Linux distro on my main desktop for a while but it'll be difficult until I feel more confident about the basics.

As far as I know nordvpn doesn't have a graphical Linux client and they only offer .deb and .rpm packages for the command line client. I just looked up EndeavourOS and it looks like it's based on Arch so I think you're in for an uphill battle to get it to work.

That said you don't actually NEED the nordvpn client because it just handles a bunch of busy work for you. Instead you can directly connect to nord using openvpn. Nord provides openvpn configuration files for each of their servers here:

https://nordvpn.com/ovpn/

Then it's just a matter of installing openvpn and telling it to use your downloaded configuration file. I can't provide instructions for how to do that in a GUI though because I'm not familiar with Arch or EndeavourOS. On Fedora I use NetworkManager and it's also possible to connect using the openvpn command line client but connecting to an openvpn is common enough that it should be doable through your desktop.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do note that there are also solutions like algo which exist to let you setup your own VPN service on a VPS or something similar, so you don't have to rely on a business that's basically entirely full of shady companies who promise not to log but oops it turned out that in order to protect themselves from not being held liable for whatever the customers do, they do actually keep logs.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Internet Explorer posted:

Please find a better way of saying this without doing an ableism. Thank you.
Reworded.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Do note that there are also solutions like algo which exist to let you setup your own VPN service on a VPS or something similar, so you don't have to rely on a business that's basically entirely full of shady companies who promise not to log but oops it turned out that in order to protect themselves from not being held liable for whatever the customers do, they do actually keep logs.
Correct me if I'm wrong but stuff like algo seems mainly geared towards non-wireguard VPNs ran on VPSes. Except for :files: I just don't see that many reasons for a governmental agency to request logs/IP-addresses from shittyVPNservice.com; and if you do suspect they might anyway, you really should be looking at anonymizing yourself quite a bit more through usage of public wifi, Qubes OS and whatnot. I guess I've just been struggling to find the use-case of algo, even though it seems like a very good piece of software. Getting around employer webfilters? Why not just set up a VPN to your home network which should be as easy or easier? What am I missing?

RFC2324 posted:

but does vim support wayland?
Quick google shows it does not, yet so soon enough Stallman will shine the brightest.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cheese Thief posted:

I'm having issues finding drivers for MT7921K WiFi 6E. Does anyone know how to get it going? I installed Mint because it looked best out of the box, and updated to the latest kernel, still no WiFi. Only ethernet and lo is popping up.

Is linux-firmware installed?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is linux-firmware installed?

Yep, I read about that too. The WiFi 6e did work before I deleted a Chinese Windows OS that I couldn't read because it wasn't English. It may be possible that Mint repo has outdated packages, especially if it's Debian-like. The stable Mint kernel is 5.9, if that's an indication. I might have to install Arch again although I don't like the process. My Arco install didn't go well, the keyboard was all jacked up with letters recognizing as numbers among other annoying things to debug. I tried to install plain Debian non-free drivers edition and it couldn't even recognize the Ethernet out of the box. These linux drivers are really something.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Was it Windows 10? Did you do a shutdown before deleting it? It could be that fast boot thing where wifi and a ton of other stuff is broken on linux unless you "restart" Windows vs shut down.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Was it Windows 10? Did you do a shutdown before deleting it? It could be that fast boot thing where wifi and a ton of other stuff is broken on linux unless you "restart" Windows vs shut down.

It was 10 yea. I can go right into the bios, which is a specially made homebrew bios for this motherboard, and it says Fast Boot right on it and I see that it's turned to off.
Well what I did more than likely was run Gparted from some auto linux installer and wipe the entire disk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Have a Linux interview later today. They want me to connect to an Azure VM in a Teams meeting so they can see if I know how to "see how comfortable I am in the terminal".

They just sent over a putty .ppk file. I don't think I have a Windows machine at home, at least not one with a webcam. Let's see what they say when they realize I'm connecting with a Mac

A) YOU HAVE TO USE WINDOWS
B) OMG YOU ARE WIZARD
C) Okay so now go into the /bin directory and....

(I have a Linux laptop as well but the camera/audio isn't as good and I'm not even sure how well Teams would work or be missing a codec etc)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bob Morales posted:

Have a Linux interview later today. They want me to connect to an Azure VM in a Teams meeting so they can see if I know how to "see how comfortable I am in the terminal".

They just sent over a putty .ppk file. I don't think I have a Windows machine at home, at least not one with a webcam. Let's see what they say when they realize I'm connecting with a Mac

A) YOU HAVE TO USE WINDOWS
B) OMG YOU ARE WIZARD
C) Okay so now go into the /bin directory and....

(I have a Linux laptop as well but the camera/audio isn't as good and I'm not even sure how well Teams would work or be missing a codec etc)

These interviews are the funniest because everyone in the room has read my resume and knows that its just comedy testing my cli skills, but every now and then they throw something fun at you, like the one that made me figure out how to mount the root partition on a separate mount point while keeping the system live so I could delete a file that was being hidden by yet another mount point(large file in /mnt, production filesystem mounted at /mnt, need to free the space without unmounting the filesystem)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

RFC2324 posted:

These interviews are the funniest because everyone in the room has read my resume and knows that its just comedy testing my cli skills, but every now and then they throw something fun at you, like the one that made me figure out how to mount the root partition on a separate mount point while keeping the system live so I could delete a file that was being hidden by yet another mount point(large file in /mnt, production filesystem mounted at /mnt, need to free the space without unmounting the filesystem)

I just hope they don't do dumb poo poo like REMEMBER SOME ARCANE COMMANDLINE OPTION AND DONT LOOK AT THE MAN PAGE

Jokes on you I have Linux cheat sheet posters on my wall behind my monitors.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm sure I'm misinterpreting it, but isn't it a point against someone if they have to use a cheatsheet instead of simply looking up something in a manual page?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Only if they find out that you did :evilbuddy:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

That specific question was so they could watch my google methods, see if I was competent at researching issues no one has ever seen

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

RFC2324 posted:

I once had an interesting question about some datacenter hardware accidentally having root filesystem being installed on some onboard flash memory thing instead of the real boot storage media.
1) Re-installing everything wasn't an option
2) It would have been difficult to copy the filesystem to the proper media.
3) staying on the onboard flash wasn't an option either since it had limited write cycles and would have failed after a few more weeks.

What do you do?

Run an overlay filesystem such that all future writes would be directed to the proper storage media, but all of the existing written data and boot target could stay on the flash.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

That specific question was so they could watch my google methods, see if I was competent at researching issues no one has ever seen
Do you mean man -K?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Methanar posted:

I once had an interesting question about some datacenter hardware accidentally having root filesystem being installed on some onboard flash memory thing instead of the real boot storage media.
That's a bad question and worse answer. I realize "it would have been difficult to copy the filesystem to the proper media" is intended to constrain the problem towards a specific solution path, but it probably wouldn't have actually been that difficult to copy the file system and would result in the system operating as designed, in an expected way, instead of this horrible bodge that will be forgotten about until someone else looks at the system later and wonders WT-genuine-F.

Here's a related one though--I legitimately had to do this a few weeks ago:

You have two servers each with an operating disk and a blank disk. You need to reverse the roles of the servers while minimizing downtime for both. How do you do it? Caveat: the servers aren't running a snapshottable file system.

"sync" on both, then "echo u > /proc/sysrq-trigger" to force an emergency remount read-only of the mounted file systems and keep them in a consistent state, then "ssh other_machine 'cat > /dev/sdb' < /dev/sda". Once both sshs complete do a reboot.

OK, so that ignores the UEFI EFS. In my actual scenario I was copying from an operating partition to a spare on the same disk on both machines, placed there originally to facilitate remote reinstallations, and you have to fix up the root UUID in /boot/grub/grub.cfg."

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 14, 2022

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Cheese Thief posted:

While I'm not as knowledgeable to give you the answer you seek. I do use Mint as well and hangout in the Mint Discord server. Someone there could probably help you out.

https://discord.gg/mint

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

no, I mean google. they wanted to see how I operated a search engine thats more than just a dry reference manual

I used google to figure it out what the hell was happening in the first place, and man pages to work out the rebind options I needed.

to be clear, they didn't tell me the file was there, I was told to find the source of the 2G discrepancy on a server with no other info

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It went pretty well. 5 parts:

1. yay you can use an SSH key and connect

2. Got hung up for a minute on a cronjob question involving a redirect and invisible error.

3. But I was able to compile and install the piece of software they asked for, but it was a pretty straightforward download, extract, configure, make, install. They did want it in a certain directory. But you didn't even have to install a compiler or hunt down any libs so it wasn't much of a challenge. I guess if you have never done it, it would be obvious.

Next was a choice between two tasks:

4. Forensics type of exercise where you had to find a login, some file they placed somewhere, and then you had to find the move quote or something. I did that pretty quick so we had time left to do the next one

5. Basically decipher this bash script and explain what it was doing. It's one of their actual scripts in production, so you're grepping and awking the output of some commands to get information about resources and removing stopped jobs etc

It's for the HPC department of a chemical company. Going to get a dear john letter when they find out I don't have a degree but fingers crossed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Because of an IRC conversation that got out of hand, I found out only today that apparently the rest of the Unix-like world outside of FreeBSD lives without @every_minute and @every_second (both from 2012), as well as @<numeric value> (from 2018) for running things every minute, every second, or every N number of seconds from when the last job instance finished.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I'm having a real doozy of an issue. If I click on something and move my mouse fast enough, whatever I clicked on will stay stuck to the cursor as though I'm still holding the mouse down. I ruled out physical stuck button because I can move my mouse fast enough again and whatever was stuck will stay on my desktop, and I can go and click on other things and do other stuff, and come back and mouse over it, and it'll get stuck again. Not sure if this is an nvidia issue or what. Seems to happen on at least KDE and gnome and x11 and wayland. It's probably a real easy fix but its so hard to google lol.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Because of an IRC conversation that got out of hand, I found out only today that apparently the rest of the Unix-like world outside of FreeBSD lives without @every_minute and @every_second (both from 2012), as well as @<numeric value> (from 2018) for running things every minute, every second, or every N number of seconds from when the last job instance finished.

systemd timers do this pretty simply. its not cron, but its replaced cron anyway

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How much can I trust the OS to do a good job scheduling tasks that use fewer threads than a single NUMA node has on a single NUMA node?

I have a whole host of tools that recommend being run on a single NUMA node, and a varied topology of servers to run them on: https://github.com/bwa-mem2/bwa-mem2

I'm hoping that if I configure it to run with a number of threads less than the smallest NUMA node in the cluster, the OS will do a good job of running this in a sane way. Is this a good bet, or should I expect to use numactl or libnuma in order to badger this thing into sticking to one NUMA node?

To be more specific: We are on a pretty recent kernel, all of the machines are Ubuntu 20.04, and if NUMA support is something that's improving rapidly we could hop to the hardware enablement kernel.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Figured maybe some of you have more Wine-gaming experience than me, so a shot-in-the-dark question here. I'm running Myth: The Fallen Lords under Wine (to view some old game films), using the patch from Project Magma that gives it an OpenGL renderer. It always runs at desktop resolution.

I've found that I need to do "virtual desktop" in winecfg to be able to properly click on stuff in the Myth interface. Other than that it works fine... except whenever a particular game/film is over and it tries to switch back to the main menu, the whole thing locks up and the Wine process has to be killed. It looks like it's trying to do some resolution switch or other sort of video re-initialization but no other clue really. Nothing printed by the Wine process at the time of the error.

I've fiddled with some other winecfg settings such as the Windows compatibility version, whether to capture the mouse, and whether to let the window manager decorate/control windows. No help. It's not a big deal but I'm wondering if there are other common things to try to fix similar situations.