Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Acelerion posted:

Is there any downside to just running some content that actually uses the combat system like the chaos of abyss stuff? I have the quest acquired 302 ilvl set.

I'm following this guide. If you're at 302 you can hone your gear to unlock a higher tier of Chaos Dungeon that will get you actual upgrades.
https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/resources/post-50-guide

I guess you can just run whatever is available to you but it's not the most efficient use of your time, and in the case of Chaos Dungeons it seems that those cost some kind of time replenished energy? Not sure how it works. If you were to run a lower tier Chaos Dungeon you wouldn't actually get much better loot, maybe the same ilvl but higher numberic quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
They didn't fix that poo poo on eu. I managed to get in the queue by reopening the game about ten times. The queue was a bit over 20k. That was four hours ago. About half an hour ago i noticed the queue number stopped updating. I gave it a while and googled to see if other people were seeing similar or if like they took the servers down or something and yeah definitely other people have seen it. Anyway you click cancel on the queue and it pops up the error message that has probably been sitting there since it silently disconnected you. Clicking ok exits the game. Restarting the game gave me the same "oh the server is too busy to talk to you right now" message from this morning.

It's genuinely impressively poo poo from a technical perspective. Anyway i had poo poo to do this evening so wasn't actually expecting to play when I saw the 20k queue so no great loss.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Been away all weekend so still figuring out what I'm going to play once I'm back. How are people liking Gunslinger?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Diephoon posted:

I'm following this guide. If you're at 302 you can hone your gear to unlock a higher tier of Chaos Dungeon that will get you actual upgrades.
https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/resources/post-50-guide

I guess you can just run whatever is available to you but it's not the most efficient use of your time, and in the case of Chaos Dungeons it seems that those cost some kind of time replenished energy? Not sure how it works. If you were to run a lower tier Chaos Dungeon you wouldn't actually get much better loot, maybe the same ilvl but higher numberic quality.

Sweet I did that and now have 340 gear and can do some dungeons I guess

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sorceress feels really weird to me, idk if other classes work like this or if it's just her but several of her skills do practically nothing while others one-shot entire waves of enemies. Tried them all at max skill level too, this isn't just a level scaling thing.

It's not really a problem I guess because she has plenty of the skills that do huge damage (and they're very satisfying to use) it's just weird that several of the abilities are borderline useless.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
After 2 hours I have finally managed to enter a 17,000 person queue.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Getting a new pair of pants that are just a thin strip of fabric will always make me chuckle.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 13, 2022

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
sure glad im not EU lol

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Has anyone found a quick way to farm uncommon class engraving books for boosted characters or do I really have to go island hopping or drop hundreds of gold?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bussamove posted:

Once you go on a ride with your Cool New Best Friend Arman He’s So Cool You Guys and then head to Prideholme. It’s like 15 minutes iirc?

sorry, i should have been more clear (though it's good to know i can party up quickly) - what i meant was, when will i be able to do things like dungeons or content with more than 2-3 enemies who die instantly with my friends? the post-Pridehome stuff i've seen is understandably very basic (i just cleared out the graverobbers in the 1-screen dungeon thing) so im just wondering when i get to something a little bit meatier.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Level 50

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

sorry, i should have been more clear (though it's good to know i can party up quickly) - what i meant was, when will i be able to do things like dungeons or content with more than 2-3 enemies who die instantly with my friends? the post-Pridehome stuff i've seen is understandably very basic (i just cleared out the graverobbers in the 1-screen dungeon thing) so im just wondering when i get to something a little bit meatier.

The first "real" dungeon I think is in the second major zone after Pridehome, in the desert. It's still not that hard but it's a lot more elaborate than the mini-dungeons before it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

acumen posted:

Has anyone found a quick way to farm uncommon class engraving books for boosted characters or do I really have to go island hopping or drop hundreds of gold?

You should do the island hopping anyways since you get a ton of mats to upgrade / hone your gear.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

queeb posted:

Level 50

oof

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You should do the island hopping anyways since you get a ton of mats to upgrade / hone your gear.

This. If you’ve finished dailies than islands are a great way to get books and mats. There’s one island near Vern that gave me 10 books and 2 upgrades worth of mats

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I don't get how people say this isn't like Diablo. Looking at the controls, perspective and gameplay it looks like Diablo. Just because Diablo has A slightly different progression/end game doesn't feel like a reason to not call it similar...

But I haven't played it so maybe I'm missing something only watching others play it

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Ugh, I just googled and it looks like the islands are more press G to interact kill 3 dudes rinse repeat type content?

At least you only have to do 10-50 once I guess.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lawlicaust posted:

This. If you’ve finished dailies than islands are a great way to get books and mats. There’s one island near Vern that gave me 10 books and 2 upgrades worth of mats

Yep, the quickest way to go from 302 item level to ~500 is island hopping once you hit your dailies. I've been using the following guide someone posted in the discord:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iCDIvEqyuq8gMJgCORDtOD-HO8zkaPhu1vwX0GnHgjc/preview?pru=AAABfw5oB4s*1W1U9ns7CjhhFI6XvAKIow

This map helps too:
https://lostark-es.com/map/

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

That’s really not that far by MMO or even ARPG standards. Even at a longer time to hit 50 of about 20 hours, you would be just getting to lower level dungeons in FFXIV or WoW. D3 is pretty quick to cap and start doing Grifts these days during seasons but that wasn’t the case for many years of that game’s life.

The game up to 50 is really just a tutorial like most MMOs to slowly introduce you to the world and new features over time. Yes, it’s probably a bit too long. The time before you get your ship should be about half as long ideally.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kwolok posted:

I don't get how people say this isn't like Diablo. Looking at the controls, perspective and gameplay it looks like Diablo. Just because Diablo has A slightly different progression/end game doesn't feel like a reason to not call it similar...

But I haven't played it so maybe I'm missing something only watching others play it

The big fights are more like a MMO fight (single big boss, telegraphed markers on the floor, need to stand in proper ways to not die, have adds and mechanics to deal with) or occasionally a monster hunter fight (single big boss, limited healing, required to read the boss for tells) as opposed to something like Diablo (lots of smaller enemies, things to dodge but not usually very telegraphed, few mechanics). And it's a very different progression system; Diablo and the like is about getting lots and lots of gear and wading through it to find something useful, while this game gives you a single gearset for X amount of content and expects you to upgrade it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Kwolok posted:

The itemization, character building, and skill/cooldown system is typical KMMO

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I think it would help calibrate expectations more if people understood that this game was apparently panned very hard in Korea when it launched. The developers listened to the criticism, managed to pull out of a nosedive and started earning player trust with higher quality content and good decision making, but there never was any kind of "Realm Reborn" effort where the entire game was scrapped and refreshed.

The campaign leveling experience is the end result of them trimming basically all the fat it is possible to trim out of their original launch content in order to accelerate players to the higher levels where all their efforts have been concentrated. It probably *should* be trimmed even more (IMO the luterra castle siege or something like it should be literally in the first hour of the game), but that's where we're at.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Is there a simple list of "use these consumables while leveling, equip these items, but save these for your main or for end game?"

Like, ive been using health potions that are a flat hp heal, saving the percentage ones, and not touching anything else because the guides are shock full of "if you use this you will need to grind for 30 hours to replace it"

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Lawlicaust posted:

Ah good to know, thanks. It just feels real bad doing the dailies without that class engraving. They're pretty easy but I could be doing like 30% more dps!

Also chaos rifts are basically your diablo gameplay. Tons of weak monsters, tons of drops. You're not getting legendaries or whatever but from what I can tell it's just a steady stream of "number go up" crystals

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Kwolok posted:

Diablo is about using a handful of abilities to clear rooms of mobs as fast as possible. If you're doing well you might not even see the mobs before they die.

In contrast, remember in Vanilla WOW using a frost mage to gather mobs in large packs then you'd AOE them down with Blizzard? Or the same thing later in Legion - you'd accumulate mobs and funnel them into one killzone so you could eye beam them all down?

This game seems to lean heavily in that direction. Positioning and crowd controlling mobs so you can nuke them all down with the big hits. At least that's how it feels so far.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Scoss posted:

The campaign leveling experience is the end result of them trimming basically all the fat it is possible to trim out of their original launch content in order to accelerate players to the higher levels where all their efforts have been concentrated.
Is that why every quest takes 5 seconds to complete once you actually get to where the objective is? Was it originally more "kill 30 bears to collect 3 bear asses"?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Sindai posted:

Is that why every quest takes 5 seconds to complete once you actually get to where the objective is? Was it originally more "kill 30 bears to collect 3 bear asses"?

From my understanding yes, it was originally far more bear-rear end collecty and you may have even had to grind monsters for XP. That's why they give like 1 experience point when you kill them, it's vestigial functionality from a much shittier game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Also, in Diablo, you're the main character, while in this game it's Armen and you're just some rear end in a top hat who follows him around.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

acumen posted:

Ah good to know, thanks. It just feels real bad doing the dailies without that class engraving. They're pretty easy but I could be doing like 30% more dps!

Also chaos rifts are basically your diablo gameplay. Tons of weak monsters, tons of drops. You're not getting legendaries or whatever but from what I can tell it's just a steady stream of "number go up" crystals

You absolutely are getting legendaries from chaos rifts, you're just not high enough level to do the ones that award oranges.

Level 4 chaos rifts gave me a full set of orange accessories after 2 runs (a single day's worth) then you keep doing them for mats, and to get the engravings optimized.

Abyss raids give you entire sets of epic and then legendary armor.

It's an entirely different way of gearing than most MMOs and I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but I'm having a lot of fun.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 13, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What does this company have against letting girls hold big swords

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tae posted:

What does this company have against letting girls hold big swords

Permanently holding a power pass in reserve for a lady with a giant axe

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I'm waiting for lancer and painter. :swoon:

Also when do you get to do big group stuff?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Give us BDO's Guardian

I want to melt a mountain

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

StarkRavingMad posted:

Also, in Diablo, you're the main character, while in this game it's Armen and you're just some rear end in a top hat who follows him around.

Only for the first part. Then you are the main character a while until your adventures with Geralt the Barbarian.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Personally I think it’s a breath of fresh air to not be the main character for once

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
dabble with the engraving stuff i still don't understand, and i hate that you're kind of afraid to interact with any item in the game out of fear that it's the only time you'll get be able to use them without some big payment up front, in-game or mtx

anyway i still have no idea how facets and engravings work, and looks like i might have done something that fucks me for the entire game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rUz4pu-kbc&t=207s

gently caress me for actually playing the game i guess, poo poo like this is what makes me stop playing games

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im watching a guy stream right now and his only recommendation is not to open boxes unless you absolutely know you are going to need it

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I just got sailing, am I better off going for 50 and then exploring the islands? I was super hyped at 40 when I could do this but it seems like npcs will ignore you and nothing is really going on at most places.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Does everyone end up with an extra green copy of Drops of Ether Engraving Recipe that is uselss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ghostinmyshell posted:

I just got sailing, am I better off going for 50 and then exploring the islands? I was super hyped at 40 when I could do this but it seems like npcs will ignore you and nothing is really going on at most places.

Get access to chaos dungeons and guardian raids at 50, do those (2x each per day) and finish your story quest. You should be doing nothing but grinding until you at the least open and cap the starter endgame content.