Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Katana Gomai posted:

BO3 is noticably softer than BO1. The fact that there is no BO3 ladder is both criminal and most likely the reason for that.

whoa really

Also an actual unrelated question, I guess I should start building standard decks, is there a good list using Wandering Emperor yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Might be your store? Mine was giving draft boosters for prize support.

If so then that's on your store, the "free" prize support LGSs get for prerelease (two boosters per kit) has been Set Boosters for a while now. I think that started with Zendikar Rising. Come to think of it, they actually cheated you because Set Boosters are more expensive. You can rat them out to WotC if you care (or address it with the owner at least).

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

whoa really

Also an actual unrelated question, I guess I should start building standard decks, is there a good list using Wandering Emperor yet

Yah it's weird, since you can grind BO3 for rank it seems like the more competitive players flock to BO1.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 13, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
2-1 at prerelease... lost to a deck running 3 Kami Wars. He pulled them in front of me, completely legit. Sheesh

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

2-1 at prerelease... lost to a deck running 3 Kami Wars. He pulled them in front of me, completely legit. Sheesh

I salute his bravery for running 5 colors in sealed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

If so then that's on your store, the "free" prize support LGSs get for prerelease (two boosters per kit) has been Set Boosters for a while now. I think that started with Zendikar Rising. Come to think of it, they actually cheated you because Set Boosters are more expensive. You can rat them out to WotC if you care (or address it with the owner at least).

Yah it's weird, since you can grind BO3 for rank it seems like the more competitive players flock to BO1.

Maybe I'll use the rest of my gems in BO3, looking forward to going 0-3 lol

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

the Orb of Zot posted:

I salute his bravery for running 5 colors in sealed

Completely. He totally deserved the 3-0 and I told him as much

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
BO3 Draft is very, very bad for regular skilled players. Only do it if you're very good at Limited.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Holy poo poo that's an insane deck lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eej posted:

BO3 Draft is very, very bad for regular skilled players. Only do it if you're very good at Limited.

I don't know who to believe...

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

My all time favourite draft was a conflux where I won popping Kaleidostones to cast fusion elementals.

I still have the deck somewhere. I still remember beating tryhard wu fliers in the final.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh the payout is absolutely nothing unless you win 2 matches and it's only positive if you're unbeaten...

Even though I've gotten 7-win runs this weekend three times that's too scary for me, I always did swiss limited in MTGO

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Prerelease was okay. Went 2-2, but my wins were against someone who was extremely new to Magic in general and a bye, so... well, whatever, I'll take them. Prerelease card was a Wandering Emperor, and I pulled a Nashi in one of my packs. Rest were pretty weak value-wise. Pulled a foil Satoru Umezawa and a Kairi, the Swirling Sky from my prize packs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh the payout is absolutely nothing unless you win 2 matches and it's only positive if you're unbeaten...

Even though I've gotten 7-win runs this weekend three times that's too scary for me, I always did swiss limited in MTGO

Yeah in BO1 you break even in EV at 3 wins and you almost refund your gem cost at 4 wins.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know who to believe...

If you're below Diamond, stay in bo1.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

whoa really

Yeah just add her to a mono white deck and you're good to go

https://mtgazone.com/deck/standard-mono-white-aggro-by-val-pl-695-mythic-kamigawa-neon-dynasty-day-2/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I ended up grabbing a UW control list. Lost the first two games trying to figure out how to run it and then when I won with it the opponent roped me... brings back memories like I never left lol

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I just grabbed a box of Kamigawa and this Yoji Shinkawa promo owns.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

fair warning, if you're using The Reality Chip on Arena, the auto tapper WILL gently caress you

A couple pages back but just wanted to chime in by saying I've gotten to the point where once I reach a critical mass of colors and other poo poo on the board I just start manually tapping for everything. I've gotten burned too many times by the autotapper. I know it's tedious for the opponent but dammit if I'm going to lose I want it to be due to my own failures, not some busted algorithm.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, those rule and possibly layers:
If I have a creature that is under Tamiyo's Compleation and I attach my Cloudsteel Kirin, does it gain the ability before or after losing abilities?
And do those two act differently then other cards with similar effects, here?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Gaining and losing abilities apply on the same layer. So I believe if you cast compleation and then apply the kirin, you get the effect. Kirin then compleation wipes the kirin effect and you'd have reattach it to a new creature.

Unless reconfigure works weird and 'checks' to see if it's still an equipment every turn creating a new timestamp?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VictualSquid posted:

So, those rule and possibly layers:
If I have a creature that is under Tamiyo's Compleation and I attach my Cloudsteel Kirin, does it gain the ability before or after losing abilities?
And do those two act differently then other cards with similar effects, here?

This is a timestamp question. The one with the later timestamp will 'win'.

quote:

604.3a A static ability is a characteristic-defining ability if it meets the following criteria: (1) It defines an object’s colors, subtypes, power, or toughness; (2) it is printed on the card it affects, it was granted to the token it affects by the effect that created the token, or it was acquired by the object it affects as the result of a copy effect or text-changing effect; (3) it does not directly affect the characteristics of any other objects; (4) it is not an ability that an object grants to itself; and (5) it does not set the values of such characteristics only if certain conditions are met.
613.1f Layer 6: Ability-adding effects, keyword counters, ability-removing effects, and effects that say an object can’t have an ability are applied.
613.3. Within layers 2–6, apply effects from characteristic-defining abilities first (see rule 604.3), then all other effects in timestamp order (see rule 613.7). Note that dependency may alter the order in which effects are applied within a layer. (See rule 613.8.)
So, we have an ability adding effect: The Kirin. And an Ability losing effect. The completion. Both are handled in layer 6.
Because layer 6 is within layers 2-6, and the abilities are not a characteristic defining ability we apply them in timestamp order.
So if you complete it before it gets equipped, it will keep the equipment's abilities.
If you equip it and then compleat it, it will lose the abilities.
Of course, equipment (reconfigure, in this case) can be reconfigured on and off a creature at will so even if compleation won, it will only be temporary.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 14, 2022

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The auto tapper is incredibly bad this set because it checks for mana cost on the cards in your hand, not Ninjutsu abilities, channel costs, etc.

I play very fast most of the time but I’ve been adding .5 seconds on to everything just to make sure it’s tapping correctly.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Hit Mythic in Standard for the first time ever! Turns out Oni-Cult Anvil is just as good in Constructed

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Froghammer posted:

Hit Mythic in Standard for the first time ever! Turns out Oni-Cult Anvil is just as good in Constructed

Congrats!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

WotC Slaps New MTG Project With Potential Legal Action

quote:

One of the goals of the project is to essentially build a new format for the game that basically forces innovation in the decks and card choices used through scarcity. Higher powered cards would essentially cost more to Mint, while less used, more obscure cards would be cheaper and more accessible to players. While this sounds like a great idea from the format standpoint, the project has many hurdles to overcome, well 1 big one actually, Wizards of the Coast.

A few days ago, the mtgDAO twitter account posted an email they received from a lawyer representing WotC. In so many words, the email was stating that the entire project was infringing on the Magic IP (intellectual property) owned by Wizards. The mtgDao team has asked to not implement the idea, as it was unlawful.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Actually we should all cape WotC

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The entitlement from that "New MTG Project" is bewildering. It's so wild to see someone blatantly say: hey I'm going to try to make a profit off a major corp's IP, and then act disappointed when said major corp slaps them down.

Heck, their site openly flaunts the idea that they'd make enough $$ off this to buy Magic from Wizards of the Coast.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 15, 2022

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

In order to mint a card, you must own the card either in paper or on arena or MTGO (how this is determined is of course, not explained) then pay certain number of tokens. the cost for each card starts at 1 and then doubles for each subsequent copy of that card minted by anyone, ever. :laffo:

To complete a playset of a given card, the fourth one will cost 8 times as much as the first.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That's insane and also how would a hundred people make a copy? 1*10^30 tokens?
So then you should make all the bad cards you can afford and hope one turns out you be a sleeper?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I don't like this article, it tries to be too open-minded for what was basically magic nfts.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
You know the one thing that Magic is missing? Artificial scarcity.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

HootTheOwl posted:

That's insane and also how would a hundred people make a copy? 1*10^30 tokens?
So then you should make all the bad cards you can afford and hope one turns out you be a sleeper?

It's only insane if you think these are meant to be used instead of minted on the ground floor and hoarded until bigger idiots come along to buy them from you.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I thought it was a scheme to launder unplayable damaged cards into a market at parity, but it's even dumbed than that.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

How unbelievably stupid. I could understand the appeal of a version of Magic with a new meta where the top 10% of cards just don't exist but this is just a nightmare scenario where it's not even good enough to be an early adopter; you also need to own the expensive card you want to mint lmao. So the same meta decks exist it's just only the 1% get to use them to stomp on poors. Hahahah what the gently caress.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

if you watched dan olsen's "line goes up" video.. he talks about a coin called inuyasha coin using the name and art from the manga.. when an interviewer asks him basically the same question, "how do you think this is legal to do" the guy basically just mumbles that he didn't create the art and since its already been used and put onto the blockchain there's nothing that can be done about the illegal copyright theft.
i've marked the section. 2:06:02 if it doesn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g&t=7562s

edit: the point being these dummies think they can just steal content because of blockchain

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 15, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It really feels like NFTs are MLMs for rich nerds.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The most incredible thing about hype/con men is that they all have the same bullshit speech about how revolutionary their *extremely stupid* project with obvious flaws will be. Every single one.

A Cambrian explosion of the metagame. loving lol.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Framboise posted:

It really feels like NFTs are MLMs for rich nerds.

this is basically the point of the" problem with nfts" video

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fadam posted:

What the vibe on this draft format, do people like it?

It's great. One of the best I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
The set is just a banger start to finish. Draft is fun, constructed seems really fun so far. I like planeswalkers and all four are really interesting and useful, particularly Kaito and The Wandering Emperor, both of which are insane. I was way wrong on the latter, she's nuts.

The deck isn't good enough to actually be played in higher ranks but right now I'm playing this Sulta Tamiyo deck in standard that draws cards with Kaito and then grinds people out with Tamiyo recursion on Chariot/Binding into Lolth, Wrenn and Storm the Festival. Extremely fun.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 15, 2022