Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The recent reporting on the crypto-rich getting robbed and extorted made me think of something funny. As we all know, crypto allows you to be BE YOUR OWN BANK. A bank with no security. But it's quite literal in that the bank is you as a physical person. The vault of gold is effectively in your personal possession at all times.

Crypto's ownership model means you can never be safe. Having the private key grants absolute control of the vault and any actions taken once inside are irrevocable. You always need some way to have this direct control, or you don't own it, and so you are always an easy target ripe for juicing.

It's yet another consequence of the poo poo ideology underlying crypto that rejects social and institutional solutions to problems, in favour of insane and ineffective technical ones that only consider individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Spatial posted:

The recent reporting on the crypto-rich getting robbed and extorted made me think of something funny. As we all know, crypto allows you to be BE YOUR OWN BANK. A bank with no security. But it's quite literal in that the bank is you as a physical person. The vault of gold is effectively in your personal possession at all times.

Crypto's ownership model means you can never be safe. Having the private key grants absolute control of the vault and any actions taken once inside are irrevocable. You always need some way to have this direct control, or you don't own it, and so you are always an easy target ripe for juicing.

It's yet another consequence of the poo poo ideology underlying crypto that rejects social and institutional solutions to problems, in favour of insane and ineffective technical ones that only consider individuals.

So does that mean in this scenario it is more than encouraged to literally shove thumbdrives of bitcoins and/or badly copy&pasted apes up your rear end?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
They've mostly moved on from "Be your own bank!" because anyone who's spent two minutes thinking about it, like you Spatial, realizes that they don't want to be their own bank. Its a bad idea.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I envy the patience of the lawyer who had to draft this email.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ryde posted:

They've mostly moved on from "Be your own bank!" because anyone who's spent two minutes thinking about it, like you Spatial, realizes that they don't want to be their own bank. Its a bad idea.

so what did they move on to? what's after "be bank."

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

https://twitter.com/mtgDAO/status/1491939399604396032

All I can say about the concept of "discriminating against any sort of technology" is ???????

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
"I'm being discriminated against" is the go to of every rear end in a top hat who has never faced prejudice in their life facing consequences for their actions

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
“You can’t just use my intellectual property for your own business ventures, sir”

“Wow it’s really hosed up that you’re completely anti-entrepreneur and also racist”

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Gutcruncher posted:

“You can’t just use my intellectual property for your own business ventures, sir”

“Wow it’s really hosed up that you’re completely anti-entrepreneur and also racist”
I had just typed out basically this post except that "racist" should clearly be "technocist".

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Slugworth posted:

But didn't ramdoubler actually work?

It did!

It did fancy stuff with programs using ram so only what needed to be there actually was and it created essentially a page file for the rest.

The name was deceptive, but it wasn't snake oil.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
We simply want to make money off of your intellectual property, why are you such dicks about it? It's exactly like 1984!

Our 1984 NFT collection drops next week, by the way.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Bondematt posted:

It did!

It did fancy stuff with programs using ram so only what needed to be there actually was and it created essentially a page file for the rest.

The name was deceptive, but it wasn't snake oil.

Not sure I just imagined it or if it was used in some of those products, but I thought it created a second swap file in RAM but used compression so the swap file could hold more content than the original memory could

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

i tried to follow the white paper and from what i understood of it, it basically said "we are making a format where in addition to having the cards 'normally' you also have to buy nfts of those cards from us, and also we only are minting a limited number of those cards so better get in early! oh and also since this is a dao the early adopters and whales get to make all the decisions about the format"

so in other words "what if magic was not just explicitly pay to win, but also you aren't allowed to pay to win after a certain point either"

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
https://twitter.com/thomasg_eth/status/1492663194837528578

Yikes! Thank god this big brained entrepreneur figured out that he was being scammed or the future of VTOL/Air Taxis would certainly be doomed to failure!

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat

This seems to be a good twitter account that allocates all the stories of these dumbasses who get scammed.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
Good news guys the puppy bowl has NFTs. Don't ask me how I got this information.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
From the shadenfreude thread, and now the subject of a GBS photoshop thread.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Unfortunately, the response to telling an NFT fucker "you can't use this to make money, it does not actually belong to you" is usually "yeah, and?"

I look forward to the smoking crater that the lawyers will leave.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ha Ha Fear and Loathing

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Virginia Slams posted:

Yikes! Thank god this big brained entrepreneur figured out that he was being scammed or the future of VTOL/Air Taxis would certainly be doomed to failure!

This seems to be a good twitter account that allocates all the stories of these dumbasses who get scammed.

i know it's the question you can ask about literally everything these idiots say but

what the gently caress is an 'open source VTOL aircraft and air taxi protocol'

are they open source designing an entire airframe?? are they just designing ('designing') some ludicrous stupid 'protocol' for some hypothetical nonexistent universally adopted VTOL aircraft to serve as a taxi service?

Unrelated, has anyone heard anything going on with the VR app Neos? It's apparently some passion project by a furry/bunch of furries as a less jank more capable VRchat that was co-opted by a rich techbro who inserted himself as CEO and then immediately made a crypto currency integrated with it, and now there's a bunch of stuff coming out that apparently a bunch of the core developers never got paid, government provided investment funds and a patreon instead went to minting crypto, and the CEO harasses anyone who says 'h- hey can you maybe pay me'.

https://twitter.com/Frooxius/status/1492657273109422080

edit:

from the doc he posted,

quote:

– I had a place to live, food and some equipment, so my expenses were almost non-existent. This was considered “salary” a number of times by Karel, but with finances controlled by him (original VC funding, Patreon and other invoices go to Solirax CoreDev s.r.o.), I was dependent on him.
– I did request actual salary in the past so I could live on my own, but this was met with hostility, accusations and unreasonable expectations
– To reiterate, pay itself is NOT the main source of the dispute for me or the rest of the team as this has been a passion project for many of us and we were content with less. However treatment of team members and myself around pay for past several years has caused significant concern, anxiety and is part of the reason why currently none of the team wants to send any invoices, despite the offers

ishikabibble fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 13, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Virginia Slams posted:

I do like that being a scamming libertarian also mix in insane future tech ideas that are nowhere near feasible, and idiots keep falling for it going "Oooooo wow, flying taxis? hyperloops? pedo islands? Here's all of my cash!"

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Early stage open source VTOL/Air taxi company is a pretty obvious way of saying either we're a rugpull for blind cyberpunk enthusiasts OR a bunch of extremely naïve idiots who think this is possible but are too stupid to figure it out, so please join and do everything for us so we can take the credit ala the hiring but not paying of randos who join their discord who they trust to design their vehicles.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Guys I have a bridge to the moon project that's just about to get finalized, the white paper is all in order (lead VC is @GeneralBUNGUS), I just need 100 billion dollars in monkey money to finish the project.

Also don't @ me with FUD or I'm shutting down the discord tonight!

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Guys I have a bridge to the moon project that's just about to get finalized, the white paper is all in order (lead VC is @GeneralBUNGUS), I just need 100 billion dollars in monkey money to finish the project.

Also don't @ me with FUD or I'm shutting down the discord tonight!

Do you accept Goat$e coin? I have about $500 trillion worth if it goes to the moon as expected

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Virginia Slams posted:

Do you accept Goat$e coin? I have about $500 trillion worth if it goes to the moon as expected

if your spending money I got a bridge in Brooklyn i need to sell

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Virginia Slams posted:

Early stage open source VTOL/Air taxi company is a pretty obvious way of saying either we're a rugpull for blind cyberpunk enthusiasts OR a bunch of extremely naïve idiots who think this is possible but are too stupid to figure it out, so please join and do everything for us so we can take the credit ala the hiring but not paying of randos who join their discord who they trust to design their vehicles.

It's like those ads in the back of comics where you could build your own hover car lol

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

What’s the over/under on the number of crypto related super bowl commercials today?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

resident posted:

What’s the over/under on the number of crypto related super bowl commercials today?

1 per break

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

i know it's the question you can ask about literally everything these idiots say but

are they open source designing an entire airframe?? are they just designing ('designing') some ludicrous stupid 'protocol' for some hypothetical nonexistent universally adopted VTOL aircraft to serve as a taxi service?

open source designing an entire air taxi system, including the airframe, the software, the business model, and everything

you see, unlike companies which only let people with certain qualifications participate in building airplanes, this open model will ensure that anyone is able to help design the aircraft, regardless of whether they have knowledge or skills. this will help break personal air travel out of those corporate walled gardens and allow people to come up with technological innovations that no mere professional could ever conceive of

also, the project doesn't have any money to pay people with the red tape of managing payments to this totally unvetted team of complete randos would only drag things down, so instead of paying people in usable money, they will mint their own cryptocoin and use it to pay their aircraft engineers and anyone else who contribute

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ishikabibble posted:

death on call

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

first one I saw was a subtle dig at crypto, so it's 1-0 in favor of the good guys for now

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

bouncing QR code is to sign up for coinbase, gently caress this earth

1-1

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

crypto bros are obsessed with times square ads as a symbol of legitimacy, superbowl ads are the next obvious step

the only question is how many have enough real dollars to pull it off

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

coelomate posted:

first one I saw was a subtle dig at crypto, so it's 1-0 in favor of the good guys for now

hooray I guess

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gonna design a human rated battery powered VTOL aircraft from scratch. How hard could it be? I learned Python in a year and it's not gonna be harder than that. I even have some guy who worked at Ubisoft doing the 3d renders

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

repiv posted:

crypto bros are obsessed with times square ads as a symbol of legitimacy, superbowl ads are the next obvious step

the only question is how many have enough real dollars to pull it off

I bought this ad with Bitcoin (after exchanging them for real dollars and paying a firm with fiat. If you own any actual dollars they should be spent on crypto so you can turn that into real money someday)!

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
E:loving wrong thread. The crypto ad was bad and dumb. Can't imagine being so dumb that I'd both buy crypto and also use a mystery QR link

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Olanphonia posted:

E:loving wrong thread. The crypto ad was bad and dumb. Can't imagine being so dumb that I'd both buy crypto and also use a mystery QR link

The Barbie/Rocket Mortgage ad had a kid wearing a QR shirt as well. This feels like it is going to be a thing.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

The Barbie/Rocket Mortgage ad had a kid wearing a QR shirt as well. This feels like it is going to be a thing.

we live in the dumbest future, so, probably

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Salesforce anti-metaverse ad played, I'm counting that for our side, 2-1 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Olanphonia posted:

If you use a random QR link on a commercial then you're just the kind of person that they want buying Crypto.