Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

silvergoose posted:

the bore is just a phone call

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
I'm doing a reread and just started book 3. There's a lot less braid tugging and skirt smoothing than I recall. Has there been an edit, or does that come later in the series?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I'm doing a reread and just started book 3. There's a lot less braid tugging and skirt smoothing than I recall. Has there been an edit, or does that come later in the series?

It adds up over the course of the series.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lucid Nonsense posted:

It peaks in book 6 and then falls off a cliff. Its mostly a meme thing fans really latched on to more than anything that really happens a lot.

Here's the thread about it with numbers. It shows up a bit more than this because they only searched for exact phrases, but its hardly omni-present.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/60t4n8/stats_for_braids_tugged_skirts_smoothed/

Like one third of all the Braid Tugs in the series happen in The Dragon Reborn while Skirts don't really get smoothed until The Fires of Heaven which is wild. You can see how some phrases fell in and out of Jordan's writing over time.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 13, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Though Nynaeve does almost pull her braid out of her head during a confrontation with the Kin, I don't remember which book

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zore posted:

It peaks in book 6 and then falls off a cliff. Its mostly a meme thing fans really latched on to more than anything that really happens a lot.

Here's the thread about it with numbers. It shows up a bit more than this because they only searched for exact phrases, but its hardly omni-present.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/60t4n8/stats_for_braids_tugged_skirts_smoothed/

Like one third of all the Braid Tugs in the series happen in The Dragon Reborn while Skirts don't really get smoothed until The Fires of Heaven which is wild. You can see how some phrases fell in and out of Jordan's writing over time.

It's the same as Stephen Donaldson, who in the Thomas Covenant books uses a different weird adjective repeatedly in each book. The one I remember is "roynish", but there were others.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Been waiting 9 books but I’m finally here:

“Rand al’Thor,” Nynaeve shrieked, “that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth! The very idea of telling three women you love them! You’re worse than a lecher! You apologize right now!” Lan had snatched his pipe from his mouth and was staring at Rand.” :laugh:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Though Nynaeve does almost pull her braid out of her head during a confrontation with the Kin, I don't remember which book

In Lord of Chaos even the Aes Sedai joke about how much she pulls that braid, so if nothing else it's an intentional quirk in the writing, not just of the writing.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So Rand’s polycule just bonded him and now he’s dicking down Elayne. Min just had a viewing of Aviendha that she’s gonna have 4 of his kids when they run into Birgitte.

Birgitte is having difficulty walking because she doesn’t know how to mask the bond I’m assuming, then she almost topples over from an implied orgasm :vince:

WH is the horniest the series has ever been.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

In a Cadsuane pov chapter, what does this bit about Caraline Damodred’s cousin mean? Is that talking about Luc?

“Once she had thought herself on the point of rooting out the Black only to watch her quarry slip through her fingers like smoke, her bitterest failure except possibly for failing to learn what Caraline Damodred’s cousin had been up to in the Borderlands until the knowledge was years too late to do any good.”

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Hexel posted:

In a Cadsuane pov chapter, what does this bit about Caraline Damodred’s cousin mean? Is that talking about Luc?

“Once she had thought herself on the point of rooting out the Black only to watch her quarry slip through her fingers like smoke, her bitterest failure except possibly for failing to learn what Caraline Damodred’s cousin had been up to in the Borderlands until the knowledge was years too late to do any good.”

I thought Luc was related to Lan (and the other half related to Rand). She must be talking about Moiraine’s exploits in New Spring or EotW + the great hunt.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Luc was Tigraine's brother, Isam was the one that looked like Lan.

But yeah that's probably referring to Moiraine.

Probably new spring, it wasn't that many years since eotw at that point.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

van fem posted:

I thought Luc was related to Lan (and the other half related to Rand). She must be talking about Moiraine’s exploits in New Spring or EotW + the great hunt.

Luc is Tigraine's brother, Rand's uncle. Isam is Lan's cousin.

Caraline Damodred is Moiraine's cousin.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So Cadsuane was crabbing internally about Moiraine. I keep forgetting Cadsuane doesn’t show up until after the red doorway.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I dont think it's ever mentioned, but I wonder if Lanfear used Balefire to drill the Bore?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hexel posted:

So Rand’s polycule just bonded him and now he’s dicking down Elayne. Min just had a viewing of Aviendha that she’s gonna have 4 of his kids when they run into Birgitte.

Birgitte is having difficulty walking because she doesn’t know how to mask the bond I’m assuming, then she almost topples over from an implied orgasm :vince:

WH is the horniest the series has ever been.

It's not a polycule.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

How are u posted:

It's not a polycule.

It is a polycule with 3 metamores. Also known as an asterisk polycule.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

How are u posted:

It's not a polycule.

:colbert: but it should be

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hexel posted:

:colbert: but it should be

And almost certainly will be if the show goes that long. I can't imagine they won't move Elayne and Aviendha from "First Sisters" to full on lovers considering that they already did the same with Moiraine and Siuan.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

How are u posted:

It's not a polycule.

I hate to agree with How are U but they're right.

It's more of a harem setup that the 3 women reluctantly make peace with.

jng2058 posted:

And almost certainly will be if the show goes that long. I can't imagine they won't move Elayne and Aviendha from "First Sisters" to full on lovers considering that they already did the same with Moiraine and Siuan.

Moiraine and Siuan were already canonically lovers in the books. They didn't change that for the show. The only arguable difference is the relationship still being active by the time she's found the Dragon.

And poly relationships don't require that everyone be a lover of each other. What they do require is willing consent of all involved and that only happens in the books after they're basically forced into it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jng2058 posted:

He's already said he's more interested in polyamory than polygamy in reference to someone asking if Rand's romance will remain close to the books.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If the show doesn't spend an entire episode explaining in excruciating detail the type of relationships each character has with in depth arguments about what words are appropriate to describe both the relationships and the characters themselves it will be a complete failure

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Simple.

Just have all the main characters end up in poly relationships. Cut Gawain/Galad and have Perrin/Faile/Egwene/Berelain end up in a weird square. Mat obviously hooks up with Tuon/Talmanes/Noal.

Nynaeve/Lan/Moiraine/Siuan/Thom/Gareth/Morgase/Tallanvor becomes an incredibly complicated and thorny one.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I hate to agree with How are U but they're right.

It's more of a harem setup that the 3 women reluctantly make peace with.

Moiraine and Siuan were already canonically lovers in the books. They didn't change that for the show. The only arguable difference is the relationship still being active by the time she's found the Dragon.

And poly relationships don't require that everyone be a lover of each other. What they do require is willing consent of all involved and that only happens in the books after they're basically forced into it.

Moiraine and Siuan had essentially a college fling with each other in the books. Notably in the books, both of them find a man to be their "one true love", not the other, where as they've made it pretty clear that show Moiraine and Siuan are very much in love with each other right now.

As far as the rest, Min and Elayne talk about it, then Elayne and Aviendha talk about it, then all three of them talk about it, then finally they all talk about it together with Rand. Min's the only one even close to "forced" into it, and that's mostly because of her fatalistic view towards her own visions. "Well, I saw it, so it's gonna happen, better get used to the idea." Forced by fate, I guess? I dunno, the whole thing's weird. :shrug:

CainFortea posted:

He's already said he's more interested in polyamory than polygamy in reference to someone asking if Rand's romance will remain close to the books.

Now that you mention it, I think I read that somewhere as well. Going to be interesting to see how they play that in the show!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If the three women thing is important, shuffle the times around a little and have Rand have a relationship/smashfest with each in turn, instead of simultaneously. :shrug:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If the three women thing is important, shuffle the times around a little and have Rand have a relationship/smashfest with each in turn, instead of simultaneously. :shrug:

I mean that's almost exactly how it already works in the books anyways. He's sort of BF/GF with Egwene until they officially break up in Shadow Rising where he then spends about 6 weeks making out with Elayne. Then he and Aviendha have their fraught will they/won't they sexual tension until they bang once and split up. Then he's just sort of in a monogamous relationship with Min for the rest of the books and barely sees or talks to Elayne or Aviendha except when they make the booty call trip to Caemlyn to hook up with Elayne in Winter's Heart.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Zore posted:

I mean that's almost exactly how it already works in the books anyways. He's sort of BF/GF with Egwene until they officially break up in Shadow Rising where he then spends about 6 weeks making out with Elayne. Then he and Aviendha have their fraught will they/won't they sexual tension until they bang once and split up. Then he's just sort of in a monogamous relationship with Min for the rest of the books and barely sees or talks to Elayne or Aviendha except when they make the booty call trip to Caemlyn to hook up with Elayne in Winter's Heart.

He also gets one last fling with Aviendha right before the last battle, presumably so she can conceive her quadruplets.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

jng2058 posted:

Moiraine and Siuan had essentially a college fling with each other in the books. Notably in the books, both of them find a man to be their "one true love", not the other, where as they've made it pretty clear that show Moiraine and Siuan are very much in love with each other right now.

"college flings" is bisexual erasure. These people live extraordinarily long lives and those two have been emotionally close and working on the same mission for decades. You implied that making them lovers was a change from the books, and the only thing that changed was it explicitly being current. For all we know the only reason it's not active in the books is a because they're having to play it as them not being friends for political purposes and there's no travelling/sex ter'angreal to allow them to be together with nobody noticing.

They could still grow apart and find new partners and have it be almost exactly the same as the book.

quote:

As far as the rest, Min and Elayne talk about it, then Elayne and Aviendha talk about it, then all three of them talk about it, then finally they all talk about it together with Rand. Min's the only one even close to "forced" into it, and that's mostly because of her fatalistic view towards her own visions. "Well, I saw it, so it's gonna happen, better get used to the idea." Forced by fate, I guess? I dunno, the whole thing's weird. :shrug:

Yean and "forced into it", by fate or the women teaming up, is not how polyamory works. All 3 of the women explicitly say they would never be OK with the situation if fate hadn't decreed it.

It's not polyamory, because most likely RJ had no real knowledge of polyamory. It's written like a harem fantasy and that's what it is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

St0rmD posted:

He also gets one last fling with Aviendha right before the last battle, presumably so she can conceive her quadruplets.

Thats what I meant by shuffle the times around a bit so it works a bit better. But hey, whatev.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

"college flings" is bisexual erasure. These people live extraordinarily long lives and those two have been emotionally close and working on the same mission for decades. You implied that making them lovers was a change from the books, and the only thing that changed was it explicitly being current. For all we know the only reason it's not active in the books is a because they're having to play it as them not being friends for political purposes and there's no travelling/sex ter'angreal to allow them to be together with nobody noticing.

They could still grow apart and find new partners and have it be almost exactly the same as the book.

Yean and "forced into it", by fate or the women teaming up, is not how polyamory works. All 3 of the women explicitly say they would never be OK with the situation if fate hadn't decreed it.

It's not polyamory, because most likely RJ had no real knowledge of polyamory. It's written like a harem fantasy and that's what it is.

Ah, got it, no interest in actual discussion. Your way or the highway. Cool, cool. Thanks for the head's up. Ignore it is!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So the show is now expensive slashfic? If they lean hard into that it is going to crash and burn hard.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

St0rmD posted:

I always assumed they were conceived post-body swap based on Min's viewings that they were Rand's children but strange and uh clearly did not look like him.

Like we know they all know he's alive at the end of the series and the ending pretty clearly implies he's going to keep meeting up with them in the future. I do wonder if he ends up ever telling his kids who he is or if he's just their mother's reclusive boyfriend forever.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Collateral posted:

So the show is now expensive slashfic? If they lean hard into that it is going to crash and burn hard.

Why?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Zore posted:

This highlights how much of a harem fantasy the books are. At the end, Rand thinks to himself that he just can’t decide among the three of them. I dunno dude, maybe the one who stuck with you through your darkest moments and who you banged more than twice

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

All they need to do is have Elayne and Aviendha kiss once then everybody can be satisfied.

Maybe have a pillow fight in their small clothes too :sun:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hexel posted:

All they need to do is have Elayne and Aviendha kiss once then everybody can be satisfied.

Maybe have a pillow fight in their small clothes too :sun:

dunno sounds kinda harem fantasy to me

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

dunno sounds kinda harem fantasy to me

The whole series is harem fantasy

The only realistic relationship in there is Rand + Aviendha. Min got Ta'veren'd and Elayne falls for the first dude who ever kissed her and copped a feel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hexel posted:

The whole series is harem fantasy

The only realistic relationship in there is Rand + Aviendha. Min got Ta'veren'd and Elayne falls for the first dude who ever kissed her and copped a feel.

that's not true!!!

it's also power fantasy of unleashing fully sick magic storms on beastmen

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Zore posted:

I always assumed they were conceived post-body swap based on Min's viewings that they were Rand's children but strange and uh clearly did not look like him.

Like we know they all know he's alive at the end of the series and the ending pretty clearly implies he's going to keep meeting up with them in the future. I do wonder if he ends up ever telling his kids who he is or if he's just their mother's reclusive boyfriend forever.

I thought in Aviendha's future-vision, they were publicly known to be the Dragon's children. Granted, her future-vision is apparently hypothetical, so idkwtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

St0rmD posted:

I thought in Aviendha's future-vision, they were publicly known to be the Dragon's children. Granted, her future-vision is apparently hypothetical, so idkwtf.

Right but she slept with him before he died so even if they were fathered a bit after the Last Battle she could still easily claim they were conceived then. Its not like pregnancy is an exact timeline

Then MoriRand just sort of skulks around for the rest of his life, possibly with only Elayne/Avi/Min knowing he's alive and not his 6+ children that they're raising?