Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Made my loaf this afternoon. Pretty pleased with the results for something I could throw together between WFH meetings. It really took to hickory nicely too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Is that a 14" or 18" WSM?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I did a meatloaf the other night as well, came out great!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Random Hero posted:

Is that a 14" or 18" WSM?

14. That'd be a monster loaf it was 18.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

14. That'd be a monster loaf it was 18.

Hah, exactly what I was thinking. Looks great!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a vortex and a BGE and a ton of raw chicken wings. I’ve never used the Vortex and I’ve never been happy with recipes that have you sauce the wings and put them back on. My ideal would be a “dry style” smoked wing.

Does anyone have a recipe for smoked chicken wings? I figure I’ll start brining them early tomorrow and mess around if I can’t find anything solid/new to try.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Hed posted:

I have a vortex and a BGE and a ton of raw chicken wings. I’ve never used the Vortex and I’ve never been happy with recipes that have you sauce the wings and put them back on. My ideal would be a “dry style” smoked wing.

Does anyone have a recipe for smoked chicken wings? I figure I’ll start brining them early tomorrow and mess around if I can’t find anything solid/new to try.

With a vortex and a Weber I just season them before they go on and put them around the outside with a chunk of pecan above the vortex. It's amazing every time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Put the egg in self cleaning mode

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm making some smoked wings for the Super Bowl (smoking them tonight, then gonna finish 'em on the grill tomorrow) but my Billows won't turn on.

Typing "Billows won't turn on" in Google turns up nothing. I tried unplugging it, I tried swapping around the wires, and I tried resetting my Signals. Nothing works. And my Signals firmware is up to date.

The Signals still works, thank God, but the blower is apparently dead.

gently caress. :rip:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hed posted:

I don't have any recipes for you but 200% plan on a grill finish to get em crispy

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ugh I still haven’t gotten to put together my kettle. I wanna get it done today but there’s always something. Monday-Friday I get up at 4:30am for work, get off at 3pm and do an hour commute. When I get home it’s straight into parenting a toddler and an ornery baby, then cooking dinner, then perhaps a half hour of downtime before I start it all over again.

But today, despite my wife’s insistence that we “pick up the house a little bit”, I am still building the gently caress out of that grill. I imagine I’ll read in the instructions but do I need to light some coals in it to burn out the manufacturing residue?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm making some smoked wings for the Super Bowl

Went to Costco yesterday for general stuff and walked past the frozen chicken section. They were completely sold out of the preseasoned toss-in-the-oven garbage, while right next to it was an overstocked simple frozen raw wing section. I thought for a moment to pick up a few bags to smoke, and then almost had a heart attack at the lb price. Was like $4/lb.

gently caress that, I grabbed a pack of the boneless thighs for $3/lb.

Thanks for reading. gently caress sportsball pricing.

life is killing me posted:

But today, despite my wife’s insistence that we “pick up the house a little bit”, I am still building the gently caress out of that grill. I imagine I’ll read in the instructions but do I need to light some coals in it to burn out the manufacturing residue?

Tell your wife that your religion dictates that manly caveman things must happen on sundays, not "picking up" the house. Burning out your grill could do no harm.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 13, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hed posted:

Probably too late to tell you this now, but the #1 thing you want to do for smoked/grilled chicken wings is coat them in an equal mix of baking powder and salt and let them sit like that uncovered in the fridge for 8 to 24 hours before cooking. This helps them brown and crisp up more during cooking, so you get fryer crispiness without the fryer.

The mix should be 1 teaspoon each of baking powder and salt per 1 lb of wings. So 3.25 lbs of wings would be 3 1/4 tsps of BP and 3 1/4 tsps of salt.

I thought about tossing my wings in a small amount of flour before smoking this time around, but ended up not doing it. I'm thinking it might help the smoke and/or sauce stick to the chicken a bit better and maybe do something good for the texture. Maybe one of y'all can give this a try and report back if it works.

As far as sauces, I'm using two: a spicy garlic parmesan butter sauce, and a homemade T.G.I. Friday's Jack Daniels whiskey sauce courtesy of Top Secret Recipes made with Real Sugar Dr. Pepper instead of water and extra garlic and onion. :getin:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 13, 2022

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Went to Costco yesterday for general stuff and walked past the frozen chicken section. They were completely sold out of the preseasoned toss-in-the-oven garbage, while right next to it was an overstocked simple frozen raw wing section. I thought for a moment to pick up a few bags to smoke, and then almost had a heart attack at the lb price. Was like $4/lb.

gently caress that, I grabbed a pack of the boneless thighs for $3/lb.

Thanks for reading. gently caress sportsball pricing.

Tell your wife that your religion dictates that manly caveman things must happen on sundays, not "picking up" the house. Burning out your grill could do no harm.

Ah yes. That also means I can dispense with the instructions and figure it out myself (lol no I can’t).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It took me more than an hour to realize that the word "spicy" does not end in a 'k'.

That was a very uncomfortable 76 minutes and for this I apologize.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I. M. Gei posted:

It took me more than an hour to realize that the word "spicy" does not end in a 'k'.

That was a very uncomfortable 76 minutes and for this I apologize.

I almost said something, but you clearly didn’t mean for that particular character to go there…

I got a good chuckle out of it, anyway. :D

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

life is killing me posted:

Ah yes. That also means I can dispense with the instructions and figure it out myself (lol no I can’t).

Still a better idea than cleaning the house on a sunday. What kind of monsters do that?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

So coming into springtime soon (oh god please let it come soon), has anyone used one of the newer charcoal gravity fed smoker/grills? I'm looking at replacing my WSM/kettle combo with the char griller gravity 980, it seems like the best culmination of pellet/charcoal: https://www.chargriller.com/products/char-griller-gravity-fed-9800-charcoal-grill

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

xsf421 posted:

So coming into springtime soon (oh god please let it come soon), has anyone used one of the newer charcoal gravity fed smoker/grills? I'm looking at replacing my WSM/kettle combo with the char griller gravity 980, it seems like the best culmination of pellet/charcoal: https://www.chargriller.com/products/char-griller-gravity-fed-9800-charcoal-grill

I would first off ask you if you do not smoke during the cold months, and if so why not?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

I would first off ask you if you do not smoke during the cold months, and if so why not?

This. It's 6 degrees here today and I smoked a pork shoulder, smoking meat is a year round activity.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

https://www.theonion.com/area-dad-stares-longingly-at-covered-grill-in-backyard-1819578520

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

Oh I absolutely do, that’s what brings this on. I had to get up a couple times overnight to touch my wsm during my overnight brisket smoke and when it was -5, haha.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I keep seeing this attitude for smoking in winter and it keeps tricking me into trying. The hottest I've ever gotten my 22" WSM in winter is 265°F with a Billows blowing the whole time in 20°F weather. It consumes an unacceptable amount of charcoal to maintain that temperature and the heat gets sucked out of the smoker so quickly that the meat cooks unevenly.

Glad most of you are having success, but I felt I needed to share my data point to help make informed decisions. I want to get a welding blanket for my smoker or put it inside some insulation but at that point it's going to serve me better to get a komodo grill or just build a smokehouse.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

um excuse me posted:

I keep seeing this attitude for smoking in winter and it keeps tricking me into trying. The hottest I've ever gotten my 22" WSM in winter is 265°F with a Billows blowing the whole time in 20°F weather. It consumes an unacceptable amount of charcoal to maintain that temperature and the heat gets sucked out of the smoker so quickly that the meat cooks unevenly.

One reason I will never get rid of my double walled Broil King Keg. Some grills are simply not up for cold weather smoking. Only ill effects it has seen is the lid seal freezing shut, and then tearing off upon opening it, so I end up having to replace it every couple years when I screw up an don't cover it after a cook before precip.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, if not I can post it elsewhere.

We are getting ready to have our old patio redone and going to have an outdoor kitchen as part of the project. The plan is to have a built-in grill with some storage and maybe a set of stainless drawers. Opting not to extend the gas line because we want to use our budget for other aspects of the project, so will just be sticking with propane. We've known we wanted to do the patio for a while, but didn't think we'd get lucky and find a good contractor that we liked that actually can start on it next month. I realized I don't know poo poo about nicer grills that are used in these setups, as I've always used the cheaper, $250-300 home depot grills and just replace it every few years.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to go here? From some initial reading, it looks like you'd want a higher end grill that is 304 stainless steel, with the idea being it is more of a "buy it for life" quality grill. I just always assumed grills go bad and need replaced, and didn't know how that worked as far as planning with built-ins. But if higher quality grills are intended to be more permanent, I guess that makes more sense. I don't need something top of the line but also don't want the cheapest either.

As for a smoker, I currently just have a Masterbuilt cabinet smoker and plan to upgrade to a pellet or gravity smoker, and I'm just leaving space along the side of the kitchen setup for the smoker to be free standing. For the grill, I think my wife and I expected we would just plop our home depot Nexgrill into the setup, but I don't think that's probably the wisest move if we want to do this the right way. Help!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I've used my WSM 14 all winter with no ill effects.

Generally I don't want to be outside and smoking poo poo if it's below freezing anyway. But with all the vents locked down anyway for my PitmasterIQ, I don't really get the sense the cold air makes too big a difference.

Hell, I was able to crank it to 350 to crisp a whole chicken a couple weeks ago. Didn't feel too different than any other season.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I opened up my pellet grill yesterday to find that the 2 weeks of rain a few months ago had gotten in there and filled it with mold. Like the whole inside is molded over.

I'm worried it will never get clean enough. Have any of you guys dealt with something like that before? If it was something simpler like a kettle I would just crank a couple full loads of charcoal out but the fact that the pellet grill has more little crevices and doesn't get as hot worries me.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
This pastrami is the best one I have done so far. I started with a full prime packer from Costco trimmed pretty heavily, brined for 10 days, soaked in water for 36 hours, rubbed the night before and smoked for ~10 hours. My only criticism is it was a tad sweeter than I'd like but nothing crazy. I will probably tone down the sugar in the brine and rub and go a little heavier on the black pepper to get a little more of the Texas BBQ flavor. I threw on a little 4lb boneless butt as well because why not... The smoker was running and I had room.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Random Hero posted:

This pastrami is the best one I have done so far. I started with a full prime packer from Costco trimmed pretty heavily, brined for 10 days, soaked in water for 36 hours, rubbed the night before and smoked for ~10 hours. My only criticism is it was a tad sweeter than I'd like but nothing crazy. I will probably tone down the sugar in the brine and rub and go a little heavier on the black pepper to get a little more of the Texas BBQ flavor. I threw on a little 4lb boneless butt as well because why not... The smoker was running and I had room.

That looks fantastic. But from your post history I thought you were following Meathead's recipe, and there's no sugar in the corned beef brine and only a tiny bit in the pastrami rub?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I've got Second TurkeyTM going today using pecan wood and a mojo-style rub after a 2 day citrus-based brine.

It was almost too big for my setup, I didn't think that through all the way, but I made it work (I could have just left it whole but then it would take so much longer).

I had to kind of bunch up my coals more than usual, but putting the thickest part closest to the heat and shielding it with some foil seems to have worked. Oddly it's been running a little warmer than I was aiming for despite what I assumed would be worse air flow.

After about 2 hours:

I didn't take a shot when I went and basted it with butter just now but it's getting a nice, deep, mahogany color on the skin, and it's browning very evenly. I just slapped on some more foil guards to keep the wings and legs from getting any darker; we're at 142.2 internal temp so maybe another hour to go.

It's gonna be a nightmare to clean this thing out, it overhangs my drip pan, but should be worth it.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

That looks fantastic. But from your post history I thought you were following Meathead's recipe, and there's no sugar in the corned beef brine and only a tiny bit in the pastrami rub?

I ended up following another recipe's brine which turned out to be a mistake. Calling it "sweet" is a little dramatic, but I definitely missed that more intense pepper and coriander taste. Everyone else loved it but I always find something I would do differently. It's fun.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Almost there....

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

dy. posted:

I opened up my pellet grill yesterday to find that the 2 weeks of rain a few months ago had gotten in there and filled it with mold. Like the whole inside is molded over.

I'm worried it will never get clean enough. Have any of you guys dealt with something like that before? If it was something simpler like a kettle I would just crank a couple full loads of charcoal out but the fact that the pellet grill has more little crevices and doesn't get as hot worries me.

I’d scrub it out with dish detergent to get the bulk out. Hit it with the hose or a pressure washer first to get most out if you want.

Then spray it with bleach and wash it again if you want, but mold won’t come back if there’s no moisture.

Once you’ve scrubbed out as much as you reasonably can I’d run it as hot as it’ll go for a while.

It’ll be fine.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Holy poo poo this is the best turkey I've ever eaten in my life. It's somehow even juicier than any of the ones I've roasted in the oven. The skin is so nice and crispy, and the pecan smoke flavor soaked into the meat so well.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Holy poo poo this is the best turkey I've ever eaten in my life. It's somehow even juicier than any of the ones I've roasted in the oven. The skin is so nice and crispy, and the pecan smoke flavor soaked into the meat so well.

Nice! Yeah roasted birds of all kinds are probably the biggest smoker bang for the buck there is. So easy to do.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

24" Pit Boss wood pellet grill/smoker $314 shipped

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Anyone have any advice on a decent portable pellet smoker? I have a truck so it doesn't need to be crazy small. But I travel a lot and am going to be switching to a 12hr night shift so it would be cool to have at work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is it a bad idea to replace the gasket on a kamado cooker if it’s below freezing? Ignoring that I might need to replace them again in the spring if the cold damages them too much, the thing is not really in a good state right now

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I don't know, but supposedly some people use their Kamados without gaskets at all. I've seen recommendations to use foil as a temporary gasket if your smoke temps refuse to stabilize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cross-posting from the sous vide thread:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I ordered some takeout earlier this week (Tuesday), including a half pound of smoked pork shoulder, ready to pull. I've kept it in the fridge all this time. If I want to sous vide it this afternoon, what temp should I shoot for - 145? 165? 203?