Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I recently started watching this LP! I'll have more to say when I'm caught up but I'm glad Jade Star is still drinking fancy root beers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

A quick guerilla mission pops up forcing a tough choice between countering dark events or urgently needed resources for the Avenger.

Also I think I cut it out while I was assembling the team but Lune and Lone G became best battle buddies.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well now I want a mod that takes bradford's sword away

e:
my guess on past Jade's thinking:
When the captain's pod activated there was a sectoid visible in the background. You probably saw that and didn't want to drop the codex in and activate another pod at the same time.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 11, 2022

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FoolyCharged posted:

Well now I want a mod that takes bradford's sword away

e:
my guess on past Jade's thinking:
When the captain's pod activated there was a sectoid visible in the background. You probably saw that and didn't want to drop the codex in and activate another pod at the same time.

Which they even noticed in the video but JadeMemory.txt

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

In today's intermission video I learn all about quantum stuff and we go exploring around the Shy Moon.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Worth mentioning that Xcom 2 is super heavily discounted this weekend on Steam. Base game is less than four bucks!

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/20109/XCOM_Ultimate_Collection/

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jade Star posted:

In today's intermission video I learn all about quantum stuff and we go exploring around the Shy Moon.

Some interesting game design notes:
--You shot the probe onto the Cave Rock, and then it moves with the rock when you look away. Another way of teaching you the lesson that rock's there for, though the method of doing it yourself isn't there yet.
--The room that teaches you how to travel with the rock has a small drop and a sand-fall at the entrance, so you can't leave without finding the other way out (or meditating, or dying, or time).

I think what impresses me about these sorts of games is the thought that has to go into designing them (if they're good). You have these overall major goals (the shy moon being one), but then you have a whole bunch of bits of information pointing to each one of them. Lots of things you can stumble across that will all end up at the same place, but it feels natural. The communication disks help there, by definition you have a conversation that's in two places so if you find one it puts the other in your mind. The whole thing is this network of information so that nothing has to give you all the answer but it'll help you figure out where to go to find more. If two places mention the same Big Picture Item, you start thinking about how those two relate to each other, and that can give more info on solving things.

It's a fascinating way of making a game where all your progress is information, but that doesn't mean finding random keycodes.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 12, 2022

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Not Important posted:

Worth mentioning that Xcom 2 is super heavily discounted this weekend on Steam. Base game is less than four bucks!

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/20109/XCOM_Ultimate_Collection/

Oh, drat that is a real good bundle discount as well. I don't have the money to buy it right now but I might soon. Am I reading right that it's on sale till the 24?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade, you could always get Guava The Witness, so he too can learn to hate triangles.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Why... why is it gold? Is Jake loving with me? Apparently this is a base wotc thing that I never noticed before!

E: Oh! Crates have a 2% chance to be a premium lootbox with pcs/weapon upgrades/cores inside.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Veloxyll posted:

Jade, you could always get Guava The Witness, so he too can learn to hate triangles.

I've already played it, installed the randomizer, beat that, turned up the difficulty to expert on the randomizer and beat that. I love The Witness!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Guava loving loves puzzle games.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The resistance radio has gotten a new show.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Today is a very special episode that I am so glad to bring to all you folks today. A retaliation mission goes from like 2 to 11 on the excitement o' meter in an instant, an extremely valuable scan sight pops up, and I vaguely recall things that I need to add in post production so I seem less crazy.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Holy poo poo, that was certainly a string of events. :monocle:

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Lmfao at that epic resistance member

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
BeaverTails is based out of Killaloe ON, so they're really common in touristy areas in ON, and there's definitely some in BC - but the Prairies don't really have any franchises as far as I've ever run across.

Also, timestamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRyBIKFPQyM&t=1326s

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 13, 2022

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't the scan times increase because you had a previous bennie that made scan times take 50% as long that expired?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Sarah Problem posted:

Lmfao at that epic resistance member

We always stop recording too early, because the first thing we did after was rewatch that part, and that's where I heard the "in america" part. I don't know how or why Bandit Keith joined the resistance, but I'm glad he did.

Scaramouche posted:

Didn't the scan times increase because you had a previous bennie that made scan times take 50% as long that expired?

Oooooohhhhhh yeah that's it!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Power relay on power coil: +7 power
Fully upgraded resistance comms: 7 power
Fully upgraded psi lab: 10 power
Fully upgraded shadow chamber: 9 power

So assuming you're not building anything you wouldn't build anyway (in which case the calculus gets confusing) a psi lab or shadow chamber are the advantageous ones to put on power coils. Whether you want to wait on them to do so depends on where they are and such.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Please. Please install a mod that makes Bradford stop talking.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Install a mod that makes him talk more

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Install a mod that makes him talk in a different language.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Resistance fighters are generated randomly in the same way your soldiers are if you don't use the pool, so if you figure out what solider's configuration brought that voice pack mod in, and get them killed, you might get to hear that scream again!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Fun fact: while you can REDUCE the amount that Bradford Talks, there are some lines in-mission that cannot be removed because they're hard-coded into the mission type and if you remove them, the game breaks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The hero xcom needed.

:screamy:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Cythereal posted:

Commander, what's the matter, Commander? Don't you enjoy my relaxing, friendly voice and helpful tips, Commander?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

IIRC, Run and Gun on a sharpshooter is limited to their sniper rifle. So theoretically, they can dash to a spot and fire the rifle or get one pistol shot off (or pop Face Off/Fan Fire/Lightning Hands + a normal pistol shot). It sounds like one of those things that'd need testing to see how everything works on a side file like Jade mentioned he has.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Load-bearing Bradshaw will not be denied.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

AradoBalanga posted:

IIRC, Run and Gun on a sharpshooter is limited to their sniper rifle. So theoretically, they can dash to a spot and fire the rifle or get one pistol shot off (or pop Face Off/Fan Fire/Lightning Hands + a normal pistol shot). It sounds like one of those things that'd need testing to see how everything works on a side file like Jade mentioned he has.

Run & Gun gives you an extra non-move action. It's been a while since I've played a campaign that ended up with it on a sniper, but if I remember you can therefore move once and fire your two-action sniper rife, or move twice and fire your pistol.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Run and gun on a pistol specced sniper is very fun. As suggested, R&G into a crowd of enemies, Lightning Hands then Face Off and you can delete large groups of, say, Lost.

I have a video if anyone is interested, but it does have weapon and equipment spoilers.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Scaramouche posted:

GuavaMoment posted:

Oooooohhhhhh yeah that's it!

This makes me wonder if the bonus started and halved all the scan times, then Jade started making contact with a new region with a normal duration, and then the event ended and it doubled everything, including the making contact event that was still on its original time frame.

Because yeah, I've never seem a region contact take anywhere close to 12 days.

Edit: Hire serious voice over guy to do the most ridiculous death scream ever and then play it in the video when the spokesman dies. As in, you get that cutscene and then afterwards Bradford is trying to talk to you but all you can hear is the spokesman dying for like two minutes.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 14, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

Run & Gun gives you an extra non-move action. It's been a while since I've played a campaign that ended up with it on a sniper, but if I remember you can therefore move once and fire your two-action sniper rife, or move twice and fire your pistol.

That sounds real fun with a new late game upgrade. Or turning death from above into a poor man's double tap/implacable.

Bremen posted:

Because yeah, I've never seem a region contact take anywhere close to 12 days.

I have :(
Some chosen decided to be a dick and activate doubling the current scan time immediately after I started it.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 14, 2022

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
The advent language is pretty simple, really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFDSFcyMpFg

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

Fun fact: while you can REDUCE the amount that Bradford Talks, there are some lines in-mission that cannot be removed because they're hard-coded into the mission type and if you remove them, the game breaks.

If you want to slow him down, you have to move fast.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Scaramouche posted:

Maybe, but making contact with a region is a 5-7 day scan time, it is never 12.

Bremen has a good idea, that interactions of bonuses wearing off and restoring values may have screwed something up.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Maybe, but making contact with a region is a 5-7 day scan time, it is never 12.

Bremen has a good idea, that interactions of bonuses wearing off and restoring values may have screwed something up.

Didn't you mention the bonus doesn't change contact times? In episode 8 when you go to make contact with South Africa around 1:25 it still showed 7 days and you comment on it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Zushio posted:

Didn't you mention the bonus doesn't change contact times? In episode 8 when you go to make contact with South Africa around 1:25 it still showed 7 days and you comment on it.

Answering questions like this would require me to have a long term memory.

Thankfully I record everything i do so I can check the tapes.

The bonus does say 'scan sites' which may be mechanically different than the sites to contact the resistance. However, even if we just take that as true for the sake of things, it wouldn't explain why contacting Europe went from 6 days to 12 days.

It really just is another 'fix your game Jake' moment.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Answering questions like this would require me to have a long term memory.

Thankfully I record everything i do so I can check the tapes.

The bonus does say 'scan sites' which may be mechanically different than the sites to contact the resistance. However, even if we just take that as true for the sake of things, it wouldn't explain why contacting Europe went from 6 days to 12 days.

I seem to recall there also being a Dark Event that increases scan times, so it might have been the one you didn't reveal last time. It's been a long time since I played.

I don't think it's anything other than "fix your game Jake" realistically though. It did seem to happen when the UFO made its first pass, but your game has been acting a little odd at the best of times this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jade Star posted:

Personally I'm suspicious that it's Jade's fault and he keeps on with "fix your game Jake" to try and hide the blame. After all, how many times has Jade's (something) broken during an LP?

the video evidence is a minor, irrelevant, obstacle to this clearly correct viewpoint