Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
For some reason Ravens fandom produces a samey brand of brain rot. We're all on the path to bird watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Pouring one out for those brave Russians who died trapped in a Subway at the bottom of the ocean.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Skwirl posted:

Just the shear audacity of thinking you can tell someone "no, you have to stay trapped in the sub shop over night," is jaw dropping.

Yes, but did you think about the door?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yes, but did you think about the door?

I'm thinking about it right now! Specifically, how much fun my crew would have turning it into a pile of scrap!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Watching the Nope trailer, I feel like Jordan Peele may be attempting the M. Night Shyamalan career speed run.

I don’t have good reason to think it will be stupid, but my Spidey-sense is tingling.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 13, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

[Insert “is that what they’re calling racism these days?” joke here]

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

The OIC for that crew was generous in giving the boss the opportunity to open it.
Walmart Super Head Manager or whatever it's called there should have the keys to everything. That's how it worked when I was working retail at Target and Harris Teeter. Now if it was a mechanical malfunction where the door was off its tracks and could not move that's totally a solid reason for the Super Head Manager to call the fire department. That didn't happen. This was just somebody left there and didn't have the keys (Which the Super Head Manager would have) and panicking.

I'll tell you now that everything was on camera.

Also, I'm a little sus on that there's no back door for the food service part of the store. Everywhere I worked and everywhere I visit on the reg has a separate back door just to move the trash out of the store without going through the shopping area of the store.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The Puppy Bowl posted:

For some reason Ravens fandom produces a samey brand of brain rot. We're all on the path to bird watching.

I know, I can feel it slowly happening. You could even say it’s pathet-

Oh

Oh god

:shepicide:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I have been watching a lot of Ask a Mortician videos on youtube after my folks died and I gotta say it's been a weird, morbid comfort to me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

The OIC for that crew was generous in giving the boss the opportunity to open it.

I had the same thought. The one common personality undercurrent in all firefighters is an appetite for destruction. Their eyes light up every time I ask them to cut a car to pieces.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

General Dog posted:

Watching the Nope trailer, I feel like Jordan Peele may be attempting the M. Night Shyamalan career speed run.

I don’t have good reason to think it will be stupid, but my Spidey-sense is tingling.

I kind of feel you on this. Peele has been putting out a weird energy with his work. Get Out was great. New Twilight Zone was awful. Then there's Us. Is Us any good? I've seen the movie but for some reason that didn't answer the question for me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Us gets kind of muddled towards the end, but I also think I like it overall more than Get Out, just because of the greater level of ambition.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hell yes, birds rule. The Audubon and BirdNET apps make it so much easier to identify something than 20 years ago when it was looking it up in one of two books depending on which side of the Mississippi you were on. Saw a little guy on the side of a tree when I was filling our feeder yesterday, and thought it might have been an immature Nuthatch by the side and behavior. Told the Audubon app it was small, brown, and tree-clinging, and it was like, oh, in Minnesota in February? Nah, that's a Brown Creeper.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Brilliant moments, ambitious scope, great acting from everyone but the kids, and I even loved the hands across America bit. For some reason none of that added together for me as a coherent whole. It's been a few years so I should probably just watch it again and see if the audience was the problem.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

https://i.imgur.com/6DFXiaS.mp4

Swim swim swim

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I have a phone interview with a company that's ESOP. It's the first thing mentioned in their "about us", so I'm guessing it's going to be presented as a selling point. Is it actually something I should be enticed by?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I strongly suspect that depends on the particulars. Get as many details as you're able about their plan then hit up the long term investing thread.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
One of the most annoying things about a lot of different apartments that doesn't get talked about enough imo is having coax ports in the exact wrong spot so it fucks up what should be the ideal furniture arrangement and makes wiring everything a pain in the rear end.

God, hiring movers was such a good decision though.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Manoueverable posted:

One of the most annoying things about a lot of different apartments that doesn't get talked about enough imo is having coax ports in the exact wrong spot so it fucks up what should be the ideal furniture arrangement and makes wiring everything a pain in the rear end.

I solved this by running my own coax along the baseboard to where I wanted it, and putting down a cable protector along the threshold where it crossed in front of a door.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

CannonFodder posted:

That's actually a part of the book.

"Squeeze! squeeze! squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers’ hands in it, mistaking their hands for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say,- Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness."

Moby Dick is homoerotic as dudes loving dudes.

Lol, I’ve actually been reading through Moby Dick lately as a don’t-just-read-junk/minor New Years resolution effort, it’s way more readable and entertaining than I would’ve assumed. Not exactly light or quick reading, but also fairly accessible and engaging, and the occasional awesome bit like “chapter all about how whales are incontrovertibly fish and not mammals, as demonstrated by my presenting the opposing arguments to my two random buddies and letting them decide”

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Manoueverable posted:

I say I’ll hire movers every time I’m about to move right up until I get a quote. Then I’m like, gently caress it I’ll just do it. Then I am exhausted and spend the entire time hating myself for being a stubborn idiot.

If we move again though, that will be the time.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I have a phone interview with a company that's ESOP. It's the first thing mentioned in their "about us", so I'm guessing it's going to be presented as a selling point. Is it actually something I should be enticed by?

All depends on how it's paid out. If they give you a five year vesting period then I'd say no. I'd want that poo poo immediately in my hands or at least no more than a year (since you probably wouldn't be looking for a new job before then anyway).

My old company had ESOP and we couldn't touch it unless we worked there 5 years. Not a percentage every year, but literally if you leave before 5 years every penny they have you is gone.

CannonFodder posted:

Also, I'm a little sus on that there's no back door for the food service part of the store. Everywhere I worked and everywhere I visit on the reg has a separate back door just to move the trash out of the store without going through the shopping area of the store.

This doesn't surprise me. The Subway in my local Walmart is at the front of the store and doesn't have a "rear entrance" so to speak.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
5 years vesting to obtain ownership of employer contributions is all I've ever known. It sucks but seems to be the standard. I've only worked real jobs in the public or pseudo public sector so maybe that informs my experience.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Brilliant moments, ambitious scope, great acting from everyone but the kids, and I even loved the hands across America bit. For some reason none of that added together for me as a coherent whole. It's been a few years so I should probably just watch it again and see if the audience was the problem.

It's an ultimately flawed and plot hole type concept but it's pretty well executed even if it does come apart a little at the end. It's still pretty entertaining and genuinely creepy in bits. Peele's probably in that place where a lot of writer/directors end up where they break out with some good stuff and then the leash comes off and without that little extra control keeping them reigned in they get a little out there with their product and it ultimately suffers. Looking at Christopher Nolan here. That said Nope will still probably be pretty cool.

Also after seeing a lot Daniel Kaluuya lately in various things I've come to the conclusion that rather than him being an effective if understated performer the dude actually just can't act.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stock options should always be considered a possible bonus and not part of your actual compensation calculation. Same with stock purchase plans. If you're happy with the salary, health plan, retirement plan (401k etc.) and other benefits, then stock options could be a differentiator vs. some other company with the same compensation but no options plan. But don't actually accept less money or benefits just because there's options.

I had PUPs (not really options) at my first company; it went busto and I got nothing. I had actual ESPP options at my second company, which was already post-IPO when I got hired. The company stock languished, and ultimately during negotiations to be acquired, my company issued a new batch of class A shares to the execs (diluting the common shares) and then accepted a buyout that mostly paid off the class A shares and the common shares went for a small premium over current market value.

I had exercised in-the-money shares, paying $1.25 per share at a time when the stock was higher than that (that was the benefit), but I wanted to hold them for at least 2 years because at that time, you paid income tax on the discount you got for the shares if you sold them within 2 years even if you sold them at a loss and by the time the company was acquired, the price had tanked and I received $1.03 per share. So I lost several hundred dollars, and only lost that little because as a lowly jr. level tech writer I hadn't had a very large grant. Lost of my co-workers lost thousands.

Congress eventually fixed that nasty catch-22 years later, now if you sell your shares at a loss you don't have to pay tax on the difference between your purchase price and the market price at the time of the grant, even if it's been less than 2 years. So don't worry about that bit. Instead, just be smart and immediately sell any shares as soon as you exercise in the money. Your employment is already tied to that company, don't also hold significant amounts of their stock long-term. The double-whammy if they crash & burn is unemployment plus a paper loss on your stock, and that sucks real bad!

I've been at my current company for nearly 18 years. I don't participate in the rather lovely ESPP, I recently got a vesting stock grant as sort of a reward, which is nice (I'll gradually vest some shares over the next 4 years) but I wasn't counting that as part of my salary and still won't when it comes time to ask for the next raise.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Update: Scorigami!

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/1492983946287763459

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

LeeMajors posted:

I say I’ll hire movers every time I’m about to move right up until I get a quote. Then I’m like, gently caress it I’ll just do it. Then I am exhausted and spend the entire time hating myself for being a stubborn idiot.

If we move again though, that will be the time.

"How hard can it be to move a 2 bedroom second story apartment" my now wife and I say to each other ~ 10 years ago. It took about 18 straight hours of moving, pulling an all nighter because that is how long we had the Uhaul. We got to watch people come home from work Friday night and then head to work Saturday morning. We made a resolution to never do that again.

Leperflesh posted:

I've been at my current company for nearly 18 years. I don't participate in the rather lovely ESPP, I recently got a vesting stock grant as sort of a reward, which is nice (I'll gradually vest some shares over the next 4 years) but I wasn't counting that as part of my salary and still won't when it comes time to ask for the next raise.

18 years is pretty impressive, my record is 5 and it feels like forever. ESPP can be pretty good, depending on the conditions. I have seen companies that sell it to you at 85% of the lowest price in the 6th month ESPP window, so as long as you sell the shares immediately when you receive them you are guaranteed to make a profit. I have never worked anywhere that had the lowest price of the 6 month window, most were the cheapest of the first or last day of the window, but even then as long as there is some discount on the price you are still guaranteed to make money. If they don't give you a discount then it is probably not worth doing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Any of you guys played Olli Olli World? Man I love this game.

Really been enjoying Sifu and Dying Light 2 as well, that's my trifecta.

Fifty Three posted:

I just snagged flights and an AirBnB for the tail end of the Isle of Man TT and I am beyond stoked

that's cool af

awww man I missed it I hope they put it up on youtube later. some say this is the real super bowl

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I was put on Jurassic Park after the last one, but bringing in the OG cast has got me right back.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The last movie was incredibly bad but this one looks fun enough

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

swickles posted:

I was put on Jurassic Park after the last one, but bringing in the OG cast has got me right back.

The t rex has been in all the new movies I don't understand :colbert:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

No Butt Stuff posted:

I cannot imagine being passionate enough about television to post this.

I enjoyed it, even if it was fan service bullshit. Who cares? It was filler television on a weeknight. Quit being a dick.

It's really being passionate about star wars and Disney has put it in the shitter. There isn't anything inherently wrong with fan service, unfortunately in this instance it's all hollow. Im not being a dick, there is like inherently a group of people who will always defend the wall so to speak for Disney and for some reason people take legitimate criticism these days as just being a divisive hater. Also we all post in here obsessively about football and other sports, what does it matter if breaking down cinema is something else people are passionate about lol

Marvel is kind of in the same place now too. Everything post end game has been terrible, except for Spiderman and Sony produced that. Someone else brought this up but the Disney + stuff is too Disneyfied. The Netflix Daredevil show was so good and they would never do something like that now. Same thing for The Punisher.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 14, 2022

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Nodoze posted:

It's really being passionate about star wars and Disney has put it in the shitter. There isn't anything inherently wrong with fan service, unfortunately in this instance it's all hollow. Im not being a dick, there is like inherently a group of people who will always defend the wall so to speak for Disney and for some reason people take legitimate criticism these days as just being a divisive hater.

Marvel is kind of in the same place now too. Everything post end game has been terrible, except for Spiderman and Sony produced that. Someone else brought this up but the Disney + stuff is too Disneyfied. The Netflix Daredevil show was so good and they would never do something like that now. Same thing for The Punisher.

Star Wars has been in the shitter since 1999

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Mando was the funnest Star Wars property since the Clone Wars series

I realize that isn't saying much

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Intruder posted:

Mando was the funnest Star Wars property since the Clone Wars series

I realize that isn't saying much

Mando is the second best thing Disney has done other than Season 7 of Clone Wars but the bar to clear over the sequel trilogy, solo and rogue 1 is basically under ground. It's pretty mediocre but compared to the rest of the Disney stuff it seems amazing because the movies are so, so bad

Its Rinaldo posted:

The prequels are not without flaws but they are all better movies than any of the Disney ones and it isn't even close.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 14, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Its Rinaldo posted:

I mean if you go read some old usenet, it's been poo poo since they landed on Endor.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kalli posted:

I mean if you go read some old usenet, it's been poo poo since they landed on Endor.

Return of the Jedi just kind of had the unfortunate position of following Empire. I mean, the Ewoks stuff is pretty bad don't get me wrong, but the ending is so loving strong. Empire is basically an all time great and following that is just hard

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Its Rinaldo posted:

1997 was when the special editions were released. Terrible CGI and Han shooting first did not improve the movies.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Much like Indiana Jones, Star Wars is a trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Made a last minute call to smoke some wings today. Tossed them in some butter and frank’s and they turned out great.