Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Ropes4u posted:

Five player learning game of scythe was a bad idea…

How long did it take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Somewhat unrelated, but the colelctors edition of the remake of classic snes jrpg Live A Live apparently comes with a board game.

https://www.siliconera.com/live-a-live-collectors-edition-includes-a-full-board-game/

I want it.

Who is making the board game though, I can't imagine a collector's edition incentive being very good.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Talk to me about Radlands. My FLGS just got copies in, and I'm curious about the game. This completely flew under my radar, and the reviews I can find are hard to parse between multiple editions. SVWAG was lukewarm about it, suggesting something like rift force was a better buy. The theme is slightly more interesting to me than generic MTG-style fantasy, but does this have legs or is it a flash in the pan?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I've now got about 20 games of it under the belt. It's fun but boy the last 6 or 7 games have been rote. There are not that many strategies and not that much variation in cards. It's a fun filler that if we were more spaced out on how much we played it'd probably be a lot longer lasting.
The problem is we LIKE it and so we wanted more but... there isn't any more to it. The bases offer variation but actually don't impact much beyond a couple of combinations that break things over their knee. Of particular annoyance is weaker bases that give more cards are super unsatisfying to play.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like Radlands. It's like someone figured out a modded corp v corp Netrunner.

It would benefit from future content for sure though. It feels very "base gamey".

Even got that sweet numbered Kickstarter first edition :smug:

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 14, 2022

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ropes4u posted:

Five player learning game of scythe was a bad idea…

My store has a whattsapp group to organise games, and everyone will open every game to the max number of players, even ones where no one knows the rules. I've been called out for not including more than three spots for a Spirit Island game that went from 10AM to 2PM, including explanations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

How long did it take?

Depends if someone worked out they could just bounce straight into the middle and control the game from there.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

How long did it take?

Four hours. It was our normal group and was a fun game but a bit long for what it was.

We didn’t figure that out that camping on the factory was a viable strategy until late in the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I asked the new game store that opened a month or so back about how they're handling pandemic stuff since they want to host events every day they're open (so 5 days a week) in an enclosed space.

They said they want people to wear masks but aren't going to enforce it, the staff is vaccinated and isn't going to wear masks unless the store is at 33% capacity, and there isn't any kind of mandate for checking vaccination cards or anything else regarding safety.

I wasn't going to go anyway because no matter how many measures are in place it is still a tabletop game place where people are expected to be near each other and interacting with the same game components but lmao at the just complete lack of giving a poo poo when they're located downtown in a busy area. It's like they're going out of their way to try and spread the virus.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

How long did it take?
bold of you to assume it’s finished

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FirstAidKite posted:

I asked the new game store that opened a month or so back about how they're handling pandemic stuff since they want to host events every day they're open (so 5 days a week) in an enclosed space.

They said they want people to wear masks but aren't going to enforce it, the staff is vaccinated and isn't going to wear masks unless the store is at 33% capacity, and there isn't any kind of mandate for checking vaccination cards or anything else regarding safety.

I wasn't going to go anyway because no matter how many measures are in place it is still a tabletop game place where people are expected to be near each other and interacting with the same game components but lmao at the just complete lack of giving a poo poo when they're located downtown in a busy area. It's like they're going out of their way to try and spread the virus.
This has been my experience as well. I have an under-5 that cant get vaccinated yet so whelp for me.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Geekway Mini was this past weekend and I had a blast and I played so many games.

My top 3:

For the King (and me) is a really neat auction/drafting game that reminds me a lot of For Sale. There's two rounds. In the first you draft cards by taking turns taking one, putting one in the middle to be used in round 2, and put one more per player face up in the middle of the table for other players to pick. Once the whole deck is drafted out, in round 2 you auction off the cards set aside during the drafting round, using the cards you drafted to purchase them.

Equinox is a rethemed Knizia racing game, where you bet on which fantasy creature will make it through the race. The lowest power fantasy creature each round gets eliminated until only 3 are left. Whoever put the most points worth of bets on the three left is the winner. Really fun. Might have to pick it up.

Vivid Memories reminds me a lot of Calico. Easy to learn and play, but brain burning in the decision making. Great puzzle. Not sure if it's worth buying because I already have Calico though.

The biggest disappointment:

Lizard Wizard was basically Raccoon Tycoon with extra wizardy mechanics, except it overstayed it's welcome by about an hour. Way too long for what it was, and the game didn't change much from the first 30 minutes onwards. Definitely a good game in there, but the length was just too much.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FirstAidKite posted:

In the US it looks to me as if the public has declared Covid endemic even if public health and medical don't agree. People are simply tired of masking and with vaccination and boosting basically keeping folks out of the hospital they want to move on.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

My store has a whattsapp group to organise games, and everyone will open every game to the max number of players, even ones where no one knows the rules. I've been called out for not including more than three spots for a Spirit Island game that went from 10AM to 2PM, including explanations.

3 player Spirit Island is like the platonic ideal player count. Limits waiting, plenty of synergy options, and most importantly, it makes the island geometrically pleasing to look at. Did they want max available player count of 6? Having played at that count, even with me cracking the whip to keep turns speedy with no new players, it took forever and it amplified the skill gap between players.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quick question -- in the past I've seen some people who have "octopus-like" rubber bands for their game boxes -- they look like three overlapping rubber band loops connected at a central disk. Has anyone seen these/know what they're called? I use large rubber bands when storing games around the house but when traveling with games I'm thinking something more secure than double-banding them might be in order, but I don't know what they're called or where to find them. Any help would be appreciated!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Admiralty Flag posted:

Quick question -- in the past I've seen some people who have "octopus-like" rubber bands for their game boxes -- they look like three overlapping rubber band loops connected at a central disk. Has anyone seen these/know what they're called? I use large rubber bands when storing games around the house but when traveling with games I'm thinking something more secure than double-banding them might be in order, but I don't know what they're called or where to find them. Any help would be appreciated!

There are likely many brands, and these are sold out, but BGG normally carries something similar to what you describe:

https://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/geekon-box-bands

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

Are you talking about these? https://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/geekon-box-bands

Also I would strongly advise never to use rubber bands on your games if you want to rely on something to keep your games banded. They break easily and unexpectedly.

efb beaten however if you don't mind paying twice the price (wonder the BGG store is sold out??) https://www.amazon.com/ENHANCE-Boar...ps%2C121&sr=8-2
More, better value https://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Pre...s%2C121&sr=8-32

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 14, 2022

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Magnetic North posted:

There are likely many brands, and these are sold out, but BGG normally carries something similar to what you describe:

https://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/geekon-box-bands

Mayveena posted:

Are you talking about these? https://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/geekon-box-bands

Also I would strongly advise never to use rubber bands on your games if you want to rely on something to keep your games banded. They break easily and unexpectedly.

efb beaten however if you don't mind paying twice the price (wonder the BGG store is sold out??) https://www.amazon.com/ENHANCE-Boar...ps%2C121&sr=8-2
More, better value https://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Pre...s%2C121&sr=8-32

Thanks to both of you for quick responses! I went with Mayveena's cheaper option.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is even one of these Robotech-branded games I'm seeing at the store any good?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FirstAidKite posted:

My local gamestore is going through a full rebrand to distance themselves from some transphobic assholes, they’re strict about masking, and have closed for multiple days a few times in the recent past because the manager got exposed to C19 and didn’t want anyone in the store until he got two negative tests. :allears:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

My local gamestore is going through a full rebrand to distance themselves from some transphobic assholes, they’re strict about masking, and have closed for multiple days a few times in the recent past because the manager got exposed to C19 and didn’t want anyone in the store until he got two negative tests. :allears:

You are fortunate. Neither of the two FLGS's in my area enforce masking.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've compressed a few games to be more portable -- like, I have 4 dominion sets all put together into one carrying case, and a lot of games expansions can be shoved in the original.

Is there a way I can make by brain believe it's okay to just throw away all the left over empty boxes?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

I've compressed a few games to be more portable -- like, I have 4 dominion sets all put together into one carrying case, and a lot of games expansions can be shoved in the original.

Is there a way I can make by brain believe it's okay to just throw away all the left over empty boxes?

The only reason in my opinion to keep them is that you would want to keep the base game and sell the expansion. Since I never expect to do that I don't keep expansion boxes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Light them on fire as you launch them into the ocean

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

NmareBfly posted:

I combine and discard the boxes (and possibly inlays, if bad or in the way) immediately.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Cut the tops off the boxes and frame them for some cheap game-related decor for your game room.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Cross-posting from the TG industry thread:

Phil Eklund is at it again with a long thread full of "definitions" for political viewpoints that are, in his opinion, undefined. So that's fun.

https://twitter.com/SeanFranco_/status/1493245292690485259

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Added to the OP. Whomstever this SeanFranco is, they're making my job easy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Oh no, I'm going to miss out on the cardboard masterpiece that is.... pax porfiriana

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Fortunately for me, I don't like Phil Eklund style games in general so no FOMO here.

In more happy news, I received this in the mail today and it couldn't have been better timed.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Pax Porfiriana IS, in fact, pretty good, but I think I just went from "not buying another game of Eklund's" to full divestment. Pax Renaissance and Pax Porfiriana might be a lot of fun, but I've got too little free time to waste any of it thinking about PE while playing a boardgame, even a good one.

Besides, Pax Pamir 2's better anyhow.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Frozen Peach posted:

Cross-posting from the TG industry thread:

Phil Eklund is at it again with a long thread full of "definitions" for political viewpoints that are, in his opinion, undefined. So that's fun.

https://twitter.com/SeanFranco_/status/1493245292690485259

If I wanted to read an unhinged screed of this length I'd just go here.

It's text only, I swear.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Memnaelar posted:

Pax Porfiriana IS, in fact, pretty good, but I think I just went from "not buying another game of Eklund's" to full divestment. Pax Renaissance and Pax Porfiriana might be a lot of fun, but I've got too little free time to waste any of it thinking about PE while playing a boardgame, even a good one.

Besides, Pax Pamir 2's better anyhow.
I'm unfamiliar with all of these games but was going to look into Pax Pamir due to someone's recent funny story about it in this thread. Is Pax Pamir 2 made by someone different or something?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm unfamiliar with all of these games but was going to look into Pax Pamir due to someone's recent funny story about it in this thread. Is Pax Pamir 2 made by someone different or something?

Long story short, Pax Pamir was made by Cole Wehrle for Eklund's old company with Eklund's input. Wehrle went out on his own in the world after that and Pax Pamir 2 is entirely his, not a dime going to Eklund (at least so far as I know).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SuperKlaus posted:

Robotech force of arms is good the 5-6 times I've played it. Though my friend who owns it and I haven't really done a deep dive into seeing if there are dominant strategies or if the balance of cards is lopsided, but haven't felt that way the times we have played it. At it's core you're bluffing forces on a 3x3 grid and the numerical strengths of cards were even iirc. It's only some of the special abilities that are different and you could play without those if you'd like, but that'll more or less make it an abstract.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I like the original Pax Pamir more tbh, 2e kind of streamlined the game in a way that made it less interesting, though it's still a decent game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
From my single play of Pax Pam 1E (vs a bunch of 2E) I found it had a few genuinely interesting edge cases and subtleties but overall I'd choose to play 2E nine times out of ten.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Phil "your name is Toby and one day you'll thank me for this" Eklund

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SuperKlaus posted:

More incoming
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2813681/pictures-publisher-manufacture-sample-proofing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Boy orbital star scrappers sucks. Wasted 40bucks on that one