Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Protestors in canberra are complaining about weaponised wasps, microwave emitters and vaccine blowdarts. Meanwhile in Wellington, they are using Barry Manilow music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm watching the twitch stream and it looks the cookers are packing up and leaving.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/sr6j4u/who_is_at_fault_welcome_to_australia/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Watch to the end.

Welcome to Australia.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Eh, just derros derroing...

quote:

Watch to the end.

:stare:

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Australia in a nutshell, a whole lot of bickering followed up with the most impressive car mounting in living memory.

Bless this country :australia:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What do we think of the huge swing against NSW Libs in the by-elections on the weekend?

Is it a NSW thing, and wont do much federally? Is it a case of by-elections always going against the current government? Is it an anti-Perrotet thing and less an anti ScoMo thing? Is it a case of by-election results mean very little in regards to actual election results? Is it way too soon before the Federal election to draw inferences?

Or, as I hope, is it another sign that the happy clapping pants shitter is going to lose come May?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I live in Willoughby, the seat with the biggest swing: 18%.

There was no labor candidate but the independent was largely unknown among a field of several independents, the greens and lib dems (loving hell- who bring them?). She was the only one that ran any sort of campaign though. Her signs were sprinkled around the area for the last few weeks. The fact that she got such a huge swing is extraordinary. Some local factors were st Gladys of the $25million misused tax payer funds retiring. And the libs preselecting a right wing nut job who is hated within his own party.

But Zimmerman will be making GBS threads himself about north Sydney. There is an excellent Labor candidate (legal academic with a great career in international human rights and a reasonable profile) and an independent who has been campaigning for months.

I don’t think either will win, but the Libs will have to spend time and money in a safe seat and worry about lunatic statements from Barney Scumbo et al that will limit their efforts where they need to win.

At the least it means that Morrison’s strategy of trying to pick up some seats in NSW will be hard. And possibly it suggests a decent swing everywhere. Let us pray.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The results seemed to be stock standard by-election results rather than something to be read into

https://kevinbonham.blogspot.com/2022/02/nsw-feb-12-by-elections-live-and.html

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

lol Jenny joins the campaign and immediately criticises Grace Tame for not smiling, but it's all about respect for other people and manners.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Any time someone tells me I need to improve my attitude or manners in a corporate setting I immediately understand it is not about either of those things but about being submissive and not making them look stupid in front of other people.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

lol Jenny joins the campaign and immediately criticises Grace Tame for not smiling, but it's all about respect for other people and manners.

Jenny breaking out the old 1 Corinthians 14:34

If only Tame had been raised with those good old fashioned cult values.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Did the nuffies get pepper sprayed last night?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

What do we think of the huge swing against NSW Libs in the by-elections on the weekend?

Is it a NSW thing, and wont do much federally? Is it a case of by-elections always going against the current government? Is it an anti-Perrotet thing and less an anti ScoMo thing? Is it a case of by-election results mean very little in regards to actual election results? Is it way too soon before the Federal election to draw inferences?

Or, as I hope, is it another sign that the happy clapping pants shitter is going to lose come May?

From The Satruday Paper's morning poli email:

The swing against the Perrottet government is lower than typical byelection swings in NSW, and does not necessarily have federal implications (The Conversation).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

If you're going to roll out the PM's wife to save his image, maybe you should ensure they're likable first?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

The real lesson here girls is that no matter what has happened to you, what the person you're meeting has done, or failed to do, and no matter how much backgrounding against you may have occurred, what really matters is that you smile for the camera, curtsy if you can manage it.

edit: I mean "they" just keep missing the point here, and I admit that it's easy because it aligns with my hatred of the politicos in power, but "respect for the office", "good manners", "general courtesy" is what enables a culture of silence that sex offenders operate under.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Capt.Whorebags posted:

edit: I mean "they" just keep missing the point here, and I admit that it's easy because it aligns with my hatred of the politicos in power, but "respect for the office", "good manners", "general courtesy" is what enables a culture of silence that sex offenders operate under.

Which is exactly the point Grace Tame was hoping to highlight by not jumping through those hoops.

Scomo & Jenny just seem like intensely unlikeable people.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Why couldn’t they have extended it to a friends and family style event? Bring out Brian Houston and Tim Stewart, what else have they got to lose?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Did the nuffies get pepper sprayed last night?

It looks like they are packing up under direct police supervision.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The real lesson here girls is that no matter what has happened to you, what the person you're meeting has done, or failed to do, and no matter how much backgrounding against you may have occurred, what really matters is that you smile for the camera, curtsy if you can manage it.

Right? Jenny said something like "it's a shame she couldn't be more polite, the event was supposed to be about the new winners" but by continuing to mention Grace not smiling, she takes attention away from the new winners.

She also said she wants her daughter's to be fierce and independent, bit also to have manners. Then there's also the usual "you have to respect the office" argument from other politicians.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/jenny-m...fe-82d037974749

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 14, 2022

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

:catstare:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ShoeFly posted:

Which is exactly the point Grace Tame was hoping to highlight by not jumping through those hoops.

Scomo & Jenny just seem like intensely unlikeable people.

Another thing this highlights is, that if you look at the photos again, just how fake Scott and Jenny's smiles were. And how real Grace's disgust/disdain is.

It shows the artifice of "decorum" and "manners" etc. as well as the implied "shut up, smile pretty and know your place girly" attitude of those telling her to smile.

And you will also notice that nobody has dared criticize her actual message. It's just a bunch of posh middle aged people telling her to "stand up straight, smile, don't make a fuss". Which is exactly the poo poo she, and those like her, are fighting against.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 14, 2022

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

No, he can't have said that!

...I feel like I say this to myself every week when he it comes to Scomo

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Holy poo poo. Like, holy poo poo, no way he couldn't.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The part that hosed me right off is that Grace smiled at the photo op when she greeted Jenny straight after Scott. No one mentions that. She specifically didn't smile for Scott and Scott alone yet it's an affront to everyone there somehow.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Probably one of the funniest, most courageous things I've ever heard him say! I guess since even he knows he's cooked he's just saying whatever the gently caress he wants, not like he's going to suffer any consequences for a statement like that.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

I thought it was "Worcestershire Sauce"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

after years of trying he finally channels a good trump

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Man needs to gently caress off a cliff, yesterday

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Scott Morrison, you absolute oval office.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Obviously Tame herself immediately stressed this point, but Martin McKenzie-Murray also wrote a great piece about it in the Monthly (specifically about his own experience as a sidelined victim of sexual assault, elided around by manners/awkwardness):

https://www.themonthly.com.au/blog/martin-mckenzie-murray/2022/28/2022/1643338827/grace-notes#mtr

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Have you considered that colonisation is often harder on the coloniser than the colonised?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
He. Hold have just said some empty waffle about working together for a better future but no, that’s what he went with.

Jesus loving Christ.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

freebooter posted:

Obviously Tame herself immediately stressed this point, but Martin McKenzie-Murray also wrote a great piece about it in the Monthly (specifically about his own experience as a sidelined victim of sexual assault, elided around by manners/awkwardness):

https://www.themonthly.com.au/blog/martin-mckenzie-murray/2022/28/2022/1643338827/grace-notes#mtr

I expect that the PMO and cronies totally get what Grace Tame is saying and why she did what she did but they're full on trying to amplify the "manners cost nothing" narrative to minimise any damage to the PM.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Elissimpark posted:

Have you considered that colonisation is often harder on the coloniser than the colonised?

Much like slavery is often harder on the slaver than the slave? It's just so difficult to own people, especially in this modern age, if people find out you're practically a pariah and the slave gets a 60 minute special about themselves.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sorry

*Throws gang signs*

NOT

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

lol if scomo starts trying to pander to trump's "he just says whatever he wants, he doesn't give a gently caress" core and we finally get to see the monster within

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

This loving guy, you know that's directed to people like Grace Tame or Brittany Higgins as well.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

This is one of those Christrian 'you can only heal after forgiving' bullshit isn't it? ie. implictly saying the problem is only that you aren't moving on from your trauma, and instead wasting time on 'accountability' and 'actually doing something to prevent this poo poo happening'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Just when I thought she couldn't get any cooler