Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah but this one is from the Planet of the Apes guy and the Riddler is Zodiac now.

Ted Cruz is in the new Batman!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
has batman ever fought a bag of bugs in a human suit?

flavors of either non super natural/eldritch horror bugs or some sort of supanat /e-horr are acceptable.

e : oh i guess villians fighting spiders-man count from the other direction.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Feb 14, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PhazonLink posted:

has batman ever fought a bag of bugs in a human suit?

Spider-Man has.

But not so much a bag of bugs as the skeleton of a nazi scientist covered in bees.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Evolution ended with yet ANOTHER take on Apocalypse and his four horsemen, Batman Beyond had a woman made of living ink and a villain who was just making furries about a decade before they were a popularised thing online.

Just how young are you - furries were "a thing online" well before Batman Beyond, they're the reason Tiny Toon Adventures got cancelled (which lead to Batman the Animated Series getting pitched)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

ookiimarukochan posted:

they're the reason Tiny Toon Adventures got cancelled

What? Furries got Tiny Toons cancelled?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the voice actress for Babs got creepy poo poo from some furry incel. The Animaniacs even makes fun of it with their "1-800- get a life" joke bit.

the internet/human race has always been stupid.

e: The Animaniacs also used a clip from a JanSixer saying "pushed me out and maced me."

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Feb 14, 2022

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

We are definitely all a little looney

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

What? Furries got Tiny Toons cancelled?

Obsessed furries sexually harassing the VAs yeah

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

We are definitely all a little looney

And in this cartoony
We're invading your personal boundaries

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Yeah, furries have been a thing at least since Disney's Robin Hood in the 70s.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is that why the Internet still holds on to a weird amount of hate for furries?

Like, I get making fun of a group of people with niche interests, but it's been a nonstop deluge of bigotry toward them for as long as I've been on the Internet.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
furries have been a thing ever since myths about human animal hybrids.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The oldest human artwork is a 40,000 year old statue of a lion-man with his dick out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Furries were very much on the ball about rousting neo-nazis out of their community a few years back, so they really redeemed themselves in my eyes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Mostly I'd forgotten about that debacle, but also I didn't know how well known it was at the time that that was the reason for the cancellation.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

PhazonLink posted:

furries have been a thing ever since myths about human animal hybrids.

Babyfurs snoofin' pamps, on the other hand, are a more recent invention.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I don't know what those words mean, and I'm pretty sure that's a good thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

Is that why the Internet still holds on to a weird amount of hate for furries?

Like, I get making fun of a group of people with niche interests, but it's been a nonstop deluge of bigotry toward them for as long as I've been on the Internet.

A huge amount of that was pretty thinly- if at all- veiled homophobia and general hatred of queer people, mind. The early 00s was A Time. SA is basically the only place that cares about furries anymore that hasn't gone full nazi.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A huge amount of that was pretty thinly- if at all- veiled homophobia and general hatred of queer people, mind. The early 00s was A Time. SA is basically the only place that cares about furries anymore that hasn't gone full nazi.

I highly doubt most people knew much more about furries beyond they were people who like to dress up as animals and have sex in costumes. That's really all they needed to make fun of them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

the voice actress for Babs got creepy poo poo from some furry incel. The Animaniacs even makes fun of it with their "1-800- get a life" joke bit.

the internet/human race has always been stupid.

e: The Animaniacs also used a clip from a JanSixer saying "pushed me out and maced me."

fwiw basically everyone involved says that the stalker bit got blown out of proportion. the official line is that WB already had Animaniacs in the works and the response both from the creative teams and test audiences was enough to get Tiny Toons axed so that they could put all their resources towards Animaniacs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I highly doubt most people knew much more about furries beyond they were people who like to dress up as animals and have sex in costumes. That's really all they needed to make fun of them.

The old catchphrase is literally 'yiff in hell furf*gs', minus the asterisk.

Might not have made it into public discourse, but online it was common knowledge.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Inque from Batman Beyond was amazing in every way. her only flaw was not being used more.

I didn't watch much of Beyond so the only bad guy I remember from the series proper was Henry Rollins as a literal bomb-throwing anarchist

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Are you sure that wasn’t Johnny mnemonic?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

He was a good guy in Mnemonic tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Batman Beyond had April Moon, an episode that taught kids that Batman is there for you if you want your grisly revenge, as long as you don't rope innocents into it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
McGuiness also had an amazing way of taking out the joker in the movie in which he reappeared - roasting him to death.

I just love him calling out his lame backstory: "So you fell in a tank of acid, got your skin bleached and decided to become a supervillain. What? Couldn't get a job as a rodeo clown?" I also liked him going full millenial and being all "Joy buzzers? squirting flowers? LAME! Where's the A material? Make a face, drop your pants, SOMETHING!"

That was just a fun sequence in general.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Batman Beyond had April Moon, an episode that taught kids that Batman is there for you if you want your grisly revenge, as long as you don't rope innocents into it.

That show is always the best when they go full cyberpunk noir.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"The shields are down to 70%!"

then why the gently caress is everything sparking/blowing up in the main control room? what moron designed this system!?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

FFT posted:

then why the gently caress is everything sparking/blowing up in the main control room? what moron designed this system!?
Somebody who liked visual feedback for the shields being down at 70%, clearly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FFT posted:

Shields at 70% don't fully protect from the hit any more.

Think of it like being struck in the chest with a sledgehammer. If you're wrapped in huge thick layers of foam rubber you'll feel an impact but it won't really hurt. If the layers come off, though, it will hurt more and more until you get smooshed. Somewhere along the line there is a point where you won't be seriously injured by the hit but it will still hurt and bruise you. That's shields at 70%.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Have you ever seen a show/movie with force shields where they let anything through before 0% ?

(besides when it's a plot point that the enemy's weapons can bypass their shields)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FFT posted:

Have you ever seen a show/movie with force shields where they let anything through before 0% ?

I thought the IIMM was all the times when that's exactly what happened?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FFT posted:

(besides when it's a plot point that the enemy's weapons can bypass their shields)

Star Trek, all the time, pretty consistently.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Because that's generally boring af to portray.

That and spaceship combat, which otherwise has no realistic basis, is styled after naval combat, done with shells, torpedoes and depth charges- where even a miss will mean a big explosion and literally rocking the boat. It's very good visual feedback to establish stakes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The same thing used to bug me when playing doom, cause I was like "HOW CAN I BE DEAD I STILL HAVE 19% ARMOR" and then realized that it means it stopped as much damage as it could but I still got hosed up. Sorta like having a complete armor set on but taking a shotgun slug to the dome. Yea, I'm still gonna have armor that's perfectly fine, but I'm also gonna have a head that's basically chili at that point.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

Shields at 70% don't fully protect from the hit any more.

Think of it like being struck in the chest with a sledgehammer. If you're wrapped in huge thick layers of foam rubber you'll feel an impact but it won't really hurt. If the layers come off, though, it will hurt more and more until you get smooshed. Somewhere along the line there is a point where you won't be seriously injured by the hit but it will still hurt and bruise you. That's shields at 70%.
They should just have a second, smaller shield under the first one.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Pilchenstein posted:

They should just have a second, smaller shield under the first one.

It's shells shields all the way down.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Because that's generally boring af to portray.
Oh I know that's absolutely why, it's just there's got to be a better way to say it and have it make sense while also having the characters react and stuff explode.

And also explain why any of the shield capacitors or whatever are kept in the bridge

stringless has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Feb 14, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FFT posted:

Oh I know that's absolutely why, it's just there's got to be a better way to say it and have it make sense while also having the characters react and stuff explode.

And also explain why any of the shield capacitors or whatever are kept in the bridge

The way I figure, plasma conduits run power to everything, connected directly from the warp cores to every electrical system on the ship. Plasma conduit are very easily overloaded when stressed and short all over the place cause there's no surge protectors, fuse boxes or breakers or anything.

A panel on the bridge will explode cause there's no overpressure valve anywhere along the system to stop a power surge hitting the operator right in the face.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Space OSHA never became a thing due to regulatory capture :hmmyes:

In the case of Stargate, it's because their spaceships were built by lowest-bid contractors (y'know, the ones that built showers that electrocuted people)