Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Neil Armbong posted:

Made a last minute call to smoke some wings today. Tossed them in some butter and frank’s and they turned out great.

drat now I want to make wings but they're frozen right now and I don't want to go to the store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Butter and franks hot sauce is a foundation of this great nation

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Return of the Jedi just kind of had the unfortunate position of following Empire. I mean, the Ewoks stuff is pretty bad don't get me wrong, but the ending is so loving strong. Empire is basically an all time great and following that is just hard

I was like 5 when I saw it so I love Endor and find the Yoda scenes in Empire / Return to be dull as poo poo. I never liked Yoda, gently caress him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I wish we had seen more of Yoda's species and they all talk normal and he just has a speech impediment

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Intruder posted:

I wish we had seen more of Yoda's species and they all talk normal and he just has a speech impediment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RXLK2_Bm9_U

This but with Yoda instead of ET would be something along those lines. Always loved this clip

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Welp I finally got COVID; started getting symptoms Wednesday, tested myself Thursday (Negative) Friday I come to work with a really froggy sore throat and get told to go home, Saturday things just settled on like a congested headcold and same today but decided to test myself again and it came up Positive; so have to spend the next 5 days off work (hopefully not having to burn my PTO based on our COVID protocol)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nodoze posted:

Marvel is kind of in the same place now too. Everything post end game has been terrible, except for Spiderman and Sony produced that. Someone else brought this up but the Disney + stuff is too Disneyfied. The Netflix Daredevil show was so good and they would never do something like that now. Same thing for The Punisher.

I don't envy anyone who has to lead an MCU project in the next few years. How do you establish any "stakes" or whatever after Endgame, the thing every MCU movie had been building towards for over a decade? They should have just given everyone a year or two off and started putting stuff out again once people were starting to miss the franchise, but :capitalism:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

People talk about Yoda's syntax in the prequels while ignoring that he has much the same syntax in Empire and Jedi ("away put your weapon, I mean you no harm") ... it's just that those two movies never had anything as mind-shatteringly stupid as stuff like "AROUND THE SURVIVORS A PERIMETER CREATE."

God. I remember when Attack of the Clones came out, that was my senior year in high school, and a bunch of buddies and I were in line for the next showing at the local AMC. And as the theater let out, there were so many looks of despondence and disappointment on people's faces. I knew then and there we were going to be in for a long night.

achillesforever6 posted:

Welp I finally got COVID; started getting symptoms Wednesday, tested myself Thursday (Negative) Friday I come to work with a really froggy sore throat and get told to go home, Saturday things just settled on like a congested headcold and same today but decided to test myself again and it came up Positive; so have to spend the next 5 days off work (hopefully not having to burn my PTO based on our COVID protocol)

As always, keep yourself hydrated. Like, seriously hydrated. I usually drink four liters of water a day; when I had COVID, I upped that to seven liters throughout the day. And let your body rest. Don't push yourself and don't feel ashamed to ask a local friend if they can leave a few cans of soup and a six-pack of Gatorade by your front door.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I don't envy anyone who has to lead an MCU project in the next few years. How do you establish any "stakes" or whatever after Endgame, the thing every MCU movie had been building towards for over a decade? They should have just given everyone a year or two off and started putting stuff out again once people were starting to miss the franchise, but :capitalism:
I'd say most of the Marvel stuff post Endgame has been decent to good and really COVID just seemed to derail things in terms of how they wanted to release things; would say I like how a bunch of the stories have lessen the stakes and seem to be smaller; granted I haven't seen Black Widow and Eternals which are the two MCU things people really point to saying "This is the death nail of the MCU"

I just don't know why people have the energy to hatewatch or get angry that MCU movies are well liked; it's not that hard to avoid them if you don't want to watch it

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

I'd say most of the Marvel stuff post Endgame has been decent to good and really COVID just seemed to derail things in terms of how they wanted to release things; would say I like how a bunch of the stories have lessen the stakes and seem to be smaller; granted I haven't seen Black Widow and Eternals which are the two MCU things people really point to saying "This is the death nail of the MCU"

I just don't know why people have the energy to hatewatch or get angry that MCU movies are well liked; it's not that hard to avoid them if you don't want to watch it

Every show and movie other than spiderman has been ridiculously bad in plot and execution tbh. Hawkeye was very ok.

I dont think anyone in these threads is angry at them. Just calling a spade a spade

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Every show and movie other than spiderman has been ridiculously bad in plot and execution tbh. Hawkeye was very ok.

I dont think anyone in these threads is angry at them. Just calling a spade a spade

Loki was great for the first half

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1493062799173500930

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BlindSite posted:

It's a drat shame that Black Widow was so awful

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
am i the only one who liked the last Jurassic Park movie? i loved that they got some old school monster movie vibes in there and made it significantly more claustrophobic by filming most of it in a single mansion instead of a whole rear end island. idk, i didnt think it was great but i found a lot i liked about it. genuinely cant say enough good things about the way it was shot too, such gorgeous cinematography

achillesforever6 posted:

the hatewatching thing is weird but bc disney is a mega corp now and the MCU is their bread and butter they tend to suck up all the oxygen in the room with the MCU. they just tend to dominate the conversation in a way that anyone who likes good movies probably isn't a huge fan of

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Loki was great for the first half

god it wrote so many checks it absolutely could not cash

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

God. I remember when Attack of the Clones came out, that was my senior year in high school, and a bunch of buddies and I were in line for the next showing at the local AMC. And as the theater let out, there were so many looks of despondence and disappointment on people's faces. I knew then and there we were going to be in for a long night.

AotC released when I was in middle school, and I got my best friend from elementary school to go with me to an opening night showing with a few of his newer middle school buddies. We stopped being friends not too long after that lol (for other reasons but that probably didn't help).

achillesforever6 posted:

I've actually liked the TV stuff in part because of the lower stakes that you've mentioned, at least in a couple of the series. Meanwhile on the movie side Far From Home felt like an extended epilogue to Endgame, Eternals was too generic to hold my attention, and I actually forgot that I saw Black Widow until your post mentioned it. I haven't gotten around to seeing No Way Home but maybe that'll change my tune?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I liked Hawkeye as a good show but not amazing, where week from week I could kind of look forward to and just kind of enjoy it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I've actually liked the TV stuff in part because of the lower stakes that you've mentioned, at least in a couple of the series. Meanwhile on the movie side Far From Home felt like an extended epilogue to Endgame, Eternals was too generic to hold my attention, and I actually forgot that I saw Black Widow until your post mentioned it. I haven't gotten around to seeing No Way Home but maybe that'll change my tune?
I should mention I haven't seen the Spider-man movies either somehow, like it's a weird thing if I miss something in theaters I just never get around seeing it even if I want to (see DUNE)

It's the reason I've never seen The Dark Knight or most DC movies

I liked Shang Chi, it was fun that's all I'm asking for

Relentlessboredomm posted:

am i the only one who liked the last Jurassic Park movie? i loved that they got some old school monster movie vibes in there and made it significantly more claustrophobic by filming most of it in a single mansion instead of a whole rear end island. idk, i didnt think it was great but i found a lot i liked about it. genuinely cant say enough good things about the way it was shot too, such gorgeous cinematography
With the Jurassic Park franchise as much as it has shaped who I am as someone who wanted to be a paleontologist but couldn't get into a masters program because a lot of 90s kids also saw Jurassic Park and were better at their SRTs; I feel the franchise should have just been 2 movies, it just feels weird watching JP or TLW and seeing how we got to the JW movies.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It was the worst movie I can recall seeing in the last several years.

I hated that movie. Everything about it was dumb, from in-universe decisions to film structure and everything in between.

gently caress that Jurassic park movie sucked.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Ah gently caress I forgot about Shang-Chi too lol. I actually did like that one so I'm not sure why I memory-holed it. I even saw it at a drive-in!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I haven't seen any of the new Jurassic Park movies but I did watch Jurrasic Park 2 a lot as kid since we had it on VHS but not the first one for some god knows why reason (probably because my brother swiped it from Hollywood Video).

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

I hated that movie. Everything about it was dumb, from in-universe decisions to film structure and everything in between.

lmao, fair enough. idk why the JP movies never bother me much but ive always been a sucker for any sort of monster movie.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Jurassic World 2's only redeeming quality is that it was not Independence Day 2

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm stealing this line from Twitter, but Jurassic Park is, at its core, a parable about the hollowness and dangers of reviving artifacts from the past for profit.

E: For the record, OG Jurassic Park is one of my all-time favorite movies.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 14, 2022

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
No it's a movie about cool dinos

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I'm stealing this line from Twitter, but Jurassic Park is, at its core, a parable about the hollowness and dangers of reviving artifacts from the past for profit.
It's that and I can go into tangents how JP Spielberg turned Hammond into Andrew Carnegie instead of evil(er) Walt Disney that Crichton went for because he is a rich Scottish man who loves dinosaurs and wants to present himself as a populist while papering over horrible labor practices.

I will say the knowledge that Goldblum is an open secret sex pest brings my mood down seeing him in stuff like this (Sam Neill and Laura Dern look great in the new trailer though)

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

It is uncomfortable reaching a point when you are like "that is pretty old, I guess it was bound to happen" and then realize he is younger than my dad.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Good luck Achilles, I hope it passes fast and isolation isn't too terrible.

Speaking of tests has anyone who signed up for the free post office ones got them? I know I saw someone did, it's been more than three weeks and nothing other than the initial order confirmation here.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Speaking of tests has anyone who signed up for the free post office ones got them? I know I saw someone did, it's been more than three weeks and nothing other than the initial order confirmation here.

I ordered them on day one and I've had them for about 2 weeks now

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Grittybeard posted:

I got mine earlier this week and already used one on my kid. Had to make sure it really was just a cold.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Grittybeard posted:

I got mine last week.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Ah gently caress I forgot about Shang-Chi too lol. I actually did like that one so I'm not sure why I memory-holed it. I even saw it at a drive-in!

Probably because the lead had the charisma of a houseplant and the plot had holes so big you could drive a product placed BMW SUV through them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, I was dumb and slow and waited until the Friday of whatever week they first became available. So I guess I'll just wait and hope. And hope I don't need them.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Grittybeard posted:

I got them like 5 days after launch, ordered on day 1 and they showed up very shortly thereafter. Logistics!

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Well, no sport things I am interested in until either baseball starts up or the draft -> preseason football stuff.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Spoeank posted:

I ordered them on day one and I've had them for about 2 weeks now

Yeah, I ordered mine the minute the link was posted here and they got here a week or so ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

I signed up on I think day 3 and they arrived maybe two weeks ago?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

My sister's family came over today and I was told I was the fun uncle LETS GOOOOO

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Spoeank posted:

My sister's family came over today and I was told I was the fun uncle LETS GOOOOO

Gotta work on being the weird uncle.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I signed up on day one and still haven’t gotten them lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I just signed up for BetMGM gambling thing and they had a $1,000 bet risk free promotion where if you lose you get that much in free bets. So I signed up and took it throwing at a long shot parlay…. and just won 10k. Im in shock.