Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Played through the first two battles. The combat is really nice and has just the right amount of scrappiness to it on Hard mode so far. I feel like it strikes a pretty nice balance between clean, streamlined surface mechanics but pretty intricate strategic play. I personally thought that Fire Emblem: Three Houses suffered from a ton of feature bloat with the combination of weapon abilities, battalions, and cursed monster mechanics, all while juggling skill proficiencies and relationships and weapon durability. By contrast, Triangle Strategy's energy token system is really intuitive but still encourages thinking ahead, and the prescribed character roles and linear weapon upgrades are a nice change of pace and free up a lot of mental bandwidth.

Character death not having a meaningful penalty other than less EXP is fine too; each character's loadout is unique enough that losing their assets in combat is a penalty in itself.

Really takes me back to playing Knights of Lodis and Let Us Cling Together (wish I'd held on to my PSP, I should have clung to that game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Cephas posted:

Played through the first two battles. The combat is really nice and has just the right amount of scrappiness to it on Hard mode so far. I feel like it strikes a pretty nice balance between clean, streamlined surface mechanics but pretty intricate strategic play. I personally thought that Fire Emblem: Three Houses suffered from a ton of feature bloat with the combination of weapon abilities, battalions, and cursed monster mechanics, all while juggling skill proficiencies and relationships and weapon durability. By contrast, Triangle Strategy's energy token system is really intuitive but still encourages thinking ahead, and the prescribed character roles and linear weapon upgrades are a nice change of pace and free up a lot of mental bandwidth.

Character death not having a meaningful penalty other than less EXP is fine too; each character's loadout is unique enough that losing their assets in combat is a penalty in itself.

Really takes me back to playing Knights of Lodis and Let Us Cling Together (wish I'd held on to my PSP, I should have clung to that game)

Agree with this. There's lots of nice quality of life additions that make it more accessible, and I think streamlined progression could be part of that idea.

The menu navigation is tripping me up a bit though, not sure why.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm not sure I can get through all the episodes of State of the Arc. Mike is great, but Casen is dumb as loving dogshit.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

From chapter 3 where you make the choice where to go, did anybody unlock the 3rd dialogue option when talking to your companions? I scoured the early exploration parts, talked to every NPC, and found some history books but they were still locked for me.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pretty sure most or all of those get unlocked from talking to people before the tourney. It's understandable that you might have missed them though; if you weren't compulsively rubbing your face against every wall it wasn't super clear visually just how big the explorable area was on that map.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Cattail Prophet posted:

Pretty sure most or all of those get unlocked from talking to people before the tourney. It's understandable that you might have missed them though; if you weren't compulsively rubbing your face against every wall it wasn't super clear visually just how big the explorable area was on that map.

Yeah and I was playing a portion of that in handheld mode, and my eyes aren't the best so it's definitely possible

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I unlocked some of them, but not all and I scoured for everything. I think some of the unlocks can only be garnered from correct choices in earlier dialogue.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Should note the unlocked choice is not always correct. I was unable to change Frederica’s mind with it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the audio for Geela's dialogue noticeably lower than everyone else's? Everyone sounds loud and clear but at some point starting in chapter 2 anytime Geela speaks it sounds like this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is the audio for Geela's dialogue noticeably lower than everyone else's? Everyone sounds loud and clear but at some point starting in chapter 2 anytime Geela speaks it sounds like this.

I did not notice that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Should note the unlocked choice is not always correct. I was unable to change Frederica’s mind with it.

I’m pretty sure nothing you could say would change her mind for that decision, she both has an emotional reason to want to go to Hyzante and absolutely doesn’t want to spend any time with her lovely awful family (which I completely understand, they’re terrible)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What was the optimal strategy for the Hyzante chapter 3 fight? Those mages were real assholes, always staying out of range for any of my units and casting haste a ton, then healing up whenever I did manage to hit one. I eventually decided that I would basically stop engaging with them and pulled my units back in a bid to get them to get closer to me, which sorta worked. I managed to win but it wasn't a clean victory.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I used the "I want to see your homeland with you" and it moved her to undecided but she still voted to go to Hyzante. The unlock option is "RACISM" and well, clearly that's not gonna work considering her personality.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

What was the optimal strategy for the Hyzante chapter 3 fight? Those mages were real assholes, always staying out of range for any of my units and casting haste a ton, then healing up whenever I did manage to hit one. I eventually decided that I would basically stop engaging with them and pulled my units back in a bid to get them to get closer to me, which sorta worked. I managed to win but it wasn't a clean victory.

Dunno if it's optimal but I used Flame Shield to bait out some the flame attacks on the ... southwest corner? Some of the mages are ice so you have to be careful. Then, I tried to lure the middle mages up the stairs, so they would be evenly split. That way, I could respond appropriately with healing

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man I can't find a way to pre-order the special edition anywhere.

NA seems to be getting the shaft. I'm ok with not importing since it's just some dice and cards.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Does anyone know what happens to the abilities you can buy from the sundry merchant with kudos? Can they be equipped somehow?

Edit: doesn't matter anyway. The demo ended right after I bought it.

Normy fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 15, 2022

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Normy posted:

Does anyone know what happens to the abilities you can buy from the sundry merchant with kudos? Can they be equipped somehow?

Edit: doesn't matter anyway. The demo ended right after I bought it.

You don't equip them, you just open up a menu to use them in battle.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

WrightOfWay posted:

Triangle Strategy is undeniably slower paced than FFT or TO. It has a higher cutscene to gameplay ratio and is content to spend a lot of time on setup.

I played some more and this is absolutely true, it's much slower paced than FFT, I just meant that I think from booting up the game to the very first (real) fight, Triangle Strategy takes less time.

I'm cool with a lot of setup though, since it helps explain the world and the state of things. It also makes more sense for Triangle Strategy to have much more involved setup since Serenoa is becoming the lord of House Wolffort and needs to be up on political affairs, whereas in FFT you're a squire at the academy and your brothers very much want you out of the loop and out of the way so they can do their scheming.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like the set up. I've been watching the State of the Arc episodes on FFT and they manage to talk about the cutscenes for almost twenty hours despite admitting that they're really short!

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m pretty sure nothing you could say would change her mind for that decision, she both has an emotional reason to want to go to Hyzante and absolutely doesn’t want to spend any time with her lovely awful family (which I completely understand, they’re terrible)
Nope, my wife got her to pick Aesfrost (using option 2 on the second menu)... it largely depends on your convictions prior to that scene, though. I got the 'brick wall' warning on my playthrough but my wife showed Frederica as 'will listen to reason'

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I'm hoping this game expands beyond Norzelia and gives us some monsters to fight. The map looks kinda sparse

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Normy posted:

I'm hoping this game expands beyond Norzelia and gives us some monsters to fight. The map looks kinda sparse

I imagine it will fill up with more details as we learn about them. According to the notes Dragons exist.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Played through to the first battle last night. Voice acting (or perhaps direction) is indeed a bit silly but I don't mind.

The lounge/swing/cabaret influences on the soundtrack has been a pleasant surprise.

Game looks better with the dark borders and depth-of-field off, but I wish the sprites weren't blurry.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I've finally updated the OP, still working on a new thread title. Let me know what other stuff I should include, preview videos or tweets or whatever.

EDIT: New thread title is coming soon

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 25, 2022

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Little worried about the pacing in this game. In both demos there are way too many cutscenes. It takes awhile to get into battles.

HD-2D art style is still gorgeous, but hopefully the game is more than that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's hard to say based on the demo alone but I get the feeling that the pacing will be fine. The stuff that happens in between the battles is just as important as the battles themselves so you'll have to readjust your expectations on how the game is paced based on that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

still working on a new thread title

“Triangle Strategy: FFT & Octopath’s child, now with moral choices!?”

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Triangle Strategy: Might Makes Right (Triangles)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

triangle strategy (official title)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Alt J Stratgey

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When Octomom only has five kids she turns to a Triangle Strategy

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nah I came up with a good one that used Quietuses.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
finally went through the new demo, does a much better job on selling the experience. happy they made the cutscene rotation an option and it is automatically off now lol.

going to switch to japanese voices for the main game, went through the whole demo in english to give it a fair shake. dragan is the only voice ill miss lmao.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 27, 2022

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It's been a while but I remember Octopath having pretty solid English VAs, weird to see the quality dip for a game like this

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I thought the English VAs were pretty good. I'll still be switching to Japanese, but, I wouldn't have been upset if that wasn't an option.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah the VAs seem just really divisive. Some people say they're good, some people say they're bad, some people say they're just okay, some say the VAs are fine but the script has too many Proper Nouns or is too "PSP re-translation of FFT"-y, etc etc.

I myself think it's fine.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think most are fine but the lead and cordelia are really subpar compared to the rest.

imo, shoulda got more people hamming it up like dragan.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah my thought was in general everyone was underacting.

Then I got a scene with Dragan and at first I'm like, this guy's underacting but I think I like him anyway. Then he started overacting.

Got me some good giggles given the contrast, but I don't like squinting my eyeballs these days so I'll leave it in English and hope for more Dragan.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I think Final Fantasy XIV spoiled me for political fantasy with great voice acting. Triangle Strategy's VA is fine but it definitely reminds me of dubs from like, a decade ago in terms of its awkward quality. But it's also an explicitly retro game so I think it's pretty much fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's really just Serenoa's voice acting I dislike, but he's the main character so there's no avoiding it. I'll miss the incidental dialogue in battles that doesn't get translated but I'm fine switching to Japanese otherwise.