Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zesty posted:

Ugh, and can you believe that incredibly obvious puppet Yoda in 5 and 6?

I remember when they tried to make that look real and it looked ridiculous too!

Maybe stop trying to gloss everything with CG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was wondering what the deal was with Luke's voice and I was surprised that it was some kind of program and not a soundalike, since obviously Mark Hamill doesn't sound like he did in the 1980s anymore

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Not sure why no one else quoted the best post of the week

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Now do Crusher teaching Data to tapdance but with Swayze and Grey.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

MikeJF posted:

To be fair to ILM they sorted it out with the new one, young Luke looked great in his latest appearance. (Apparently they hired the guy that did a YouTube demo of applying deepfake on top of their stuff and made it look way better)

But Brent Spiner was de-aged in season one of Picard and it looked terrible.

Can Paramount hire this guy?

https://youtu.be/1W0Ut5gFn0E

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the picard show, featuring a deepfaked middle-aged picard who can still walk around

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Star Trek Picard vtuber technology

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Too bad they can't deep fake a decent script ahahhhohohheheh

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Tighclops posted:

Too bad they can't deep fake a decent script ahahhhohohheheh

What do you think the pilot of Prodigy was? The show got better, but that pilot was just Star Wars with a Starfleet uniform deep faked over it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/dwight_tokem/status/1491990144055971842

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How the hell did Elisabeth Lense become Valedictorian at Starfleet Medical if she thought that an Andorian was named Julian Bashir rather than the obnoxious englishman?

That being said I do like how she sums up the advantages that DS9 has over TNG for certain stories. Longterm examination of a topic as opposed to zipping off from one story to the next.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 13, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm holding out for a valentine from Okona

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Why is Khan white now?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

infernal machines posted:

Why is Khan white now?

They're white now!

They're white now?

They're white now.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Why is Khan white now?

You can't just ask people why they're white!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Hey Worf? What's with you and barrels?

Worf: "None of your Bij-ness"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Why is Khan white now?

they're using cumberbatch from the really bad 2010's remake movie instead of ricardo montalban with plastic pecs, either because their licensing agreement forces them to or because someone decided its sexier that way

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
presumably someone in the world thinks cumberbatch is sexier than young montalban, but i certainly wouldn't want to meet such a deranged fiend in a dark alley

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That was montalban's real chest by the way, he would drop and do push-ups before every take

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Clark Nova posted:

they're using cumberbatch from the really bad 2010's remake movie instead of ricardo montalban with plastic pecs, either because their licensing agreement forces them to or because someone decided its sexier that way

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

presumably someone in the world thinks cumberbatch is sexier than young montalban, but i certainly wouldn't want to meet such a deranged fiend in a dark alley

Yeah, this poo poo is ridiculous.

It should be Garak. For all of them.

C'mon, look at that smile!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

That’s a borg…tribble? Kazon are unworthy of assimilation but tribbles are.

Harsh.

Why is Khan white now?

Mystery Box™️

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tighclops posted:

That was montalban's real chest by the way, he would drop and do push-ups before every take

god bless that man

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Automatic Slim posted:

That’s a borg…tribble? Kazon are unworthy of assimilation but tribbles are.

I mean that reproduction capability seems like something the borg would be into.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

kdrudy posted:

I mean that reproduction capability seems like something the borg would be into.

Hey, not complaining. That’s one of those things that most people dismiss because it’s a silly idea, but somebody put it out there. On a valentines card.

A Borg Medusan would be noteworthy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It always bothers me when they show the viewscreen side-on and the person on it is also side-on. Like the big face-off with Tomalak at the end of The Enemy, for instance. I get that it's to frame a dramatic shot but I don't think it would be much less dramatic if it looked how a flat screen would actually look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc1PGrWAmUA

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was deliberately done to show that the viewscreen is 3D holographic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's a curved screen

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

man. if it is this easy to touch up an actor this well, why don't the actual corporate productions manage this?

it's so strange, because this isn't a matter of taste like some kind of story re-edit. a random editor has made a very poor illusion that data still looks the same into a pretty decent one.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 14, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

It was deliberately done to show that the viewscreen is 3D holographic.

If that was the intention, it didn't even come across in the scene where Roddenberry's self insert geeks out over specifically the viewscreen in Encounter at Farpoint, so I'm gonna say it was poorly conveyed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's as simple as them having existing contracts with traditional digital effects companies who are almost certainly falling over themselves trying to learn this new technology that their customers are demanding from them, while all the 'fan' touch ups are being done by people who are already very familiar and comfortable with it because they've been using it since before it became commercially interesting.
the suits don't know or probably even care what's possible - they just get the results from their contractor that they have a good working relationship with, and that's enough for them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

roomtone posted:

man. if it is this easy to touch up an actor this well, why don't the actual corporate productions manage this?

it's so strange, because this isn't a matter of taste like some kind of story re-edit. a random editor has made a very poor illusion that data still looks the same into a pretty decent one.

Absolutely everything, every single last piece of that show was low effort bullshit. A random person with the tools and the slightest bit of interest did a much better job because they cared to do so.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm back to watching DS9 , its so relaxing. I decided to skip season 1 and 2 except for the finale of Season 2, and started on Season 3.

TNG was my original show but DS9 is my favorite.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You got somewhere to be? Go watch all of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hollismason posted:

I'm back to watching DS9 , its so relaxing. I decided to skip season 1 and 2 except for the finale of Season 2, and started on Season 3.

TNG was my original show but DS9 is my favorite.
There are plenty of episodes in Season 2 that you need to watch

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
eh, you can go back later. i did watch ds9 from the start the first time but the majority of s1 and 2 is kind of boring. too much bajor stuff, but even besides, a lot of the episodes just aren't that interesting.

with tng i think i started with season 7 dvds because that was what the shop had.

people overstate how much watching things in order matters and never appreciate how it can have it's own benefits. jumping into a show in the middle can make everything seem more exciting/real for a while because the show is in full swing already, connections aren't immediately laid out in a-b-c for you. it always stirs my imagination, a cool feeling.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
If you skip the first season you miss one of the best parts of the series!

The Sisko-"I'm not Picard."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

roomtone posted:

eh, you can go back later. i did watch ds9 from the start the first time but the majority of s1 and 2 is kind of boring. too much bajor stuff, but even besides, a lot of the episodes just aren't that interesting.

with tng i think i started with season 7 dvds because that was what the shop had.

people overstate how much watching things in order matters and never appreciate how it can have it's own benefits. jumping into a show in the middle can make everything seem more exciting/real for a while because the show is in full swing already, connections aren't immediately laid out in a-b-c for you. it always stirs my imagination, a cool feeling.

Nah, season 2 has a lot of setup for the Dominion as Starfleet push into the Gamma Quadrant and start poking at the boundaries of their space.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Early DS9 really sets the stage and there are some amazing episodes in it. Duet, Cardassians, The Wire, the Jem'hedar. Episodes like the Alternate, the Maquis, Profit and Loss and the Forsaken are really just part 1s to storylines that continue later.

The first two seasons are truly not worth skipping. This isn't TNG levels of early trash. DS9 builds on itself in ways that TNG and Voyager don't... or at least, Voyager is much less effective at it.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Gowron: Experiece bees!

Worf: Don't you mean bij? In Kahless's name... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgh