Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Aaron Donald is really going to retire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

mcmagic posted:

Dude could go out on top. He's practically guaranteed a spot in Canton. He might feel like he's got nothing else to prove and doesn't want to spend the rest of his life waking up and getting out of bed and every joint in his body cracking simultaneously.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

lol a st louis station had to tweet this

https://twitter.com/ksdknews/status/1493059372414648323

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Bengals covered which makes them the real champions if you think about it

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

mcmagic posted:

I mean it makes sense right? He has a legitimate claim to being a top 5 (?) defensive player of all time and just won his first Super Bowl. He’s an inner circle HOFer no matter what at this point. Perfect time to walk away.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

I mean it makes sense right? He has a legitimate claim to being a top 5 (?) defensive player of all time and just won his first Super Bowl. He’s an inner circle HOFer no matter what at this point. Perfect time to walk away.

He's only 30.. He has like 5-6 years of all pro football left where he can make like 25 million a year or more. I mean it makes sense in a way but it would be pretty surprising too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah he's got nothing left to prove and would have made the hall if he quit the day before the Super Bowl.

It just feels wrong because he's still so goddamned good. poo poo not even that, he's still so goddamned dominant.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Where the hell is the "Aaron Donald might retire" talk even coming from?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They’re not, op.

they did, op

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SourKraut posted:

Where the hell is the "Aaron Donald might retire" talk even coming from?

N/m, I found it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I thought I'd processed the Bengals' loss after a shower and some ice dancing, but then I hopped back over to WLWT and the anchors were so sad, I started laughing my rear end off all over again.

LOL Bengals.

LOL Cincinnati.

I feel like my universe is correcting itself.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

JOHN MATTHEW STAFFORD AND THE LOS ANGELES RAMS HAVE WON THE SUPERBOWL

Congrats Rams

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
There is no way in hell Donald retires. He probably was just talking out of his rear end because he was tired and emotional going to the Super Bowl. He has plenty of good, lucrative years left.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Setting aside other beefs with that last drive this throw was legit something.

e: well crap I can't link it for some reason, the intermediate throw to Kupp over the middle before any possible things you might want to complain about happened.

https://twitter.com/J_Kaley/status/1493064523451973634

there we go

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 14, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lifespan posted:

There is no way in hell Donald retires. He probably was just talking out of his rear end because he was tired and emotional going to the Super Bowl. He has plenty of good, lucrative years left.

He's earned just shy of 100 million dollars, would be a first ballot hall of famer and has a ring. There's something to be said for walking away with you health, wealth and having achieved everything there is to achieve.

I doubt he'll retire too, I can for sure see why he might though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Dude could go out on top. He's practically guaranteed a spot in Canton. He might feel like he's got nothing else to prove and doesn't want to spend the rest of his life waking up and getting out of bed and every joint in his body cracking simultaneously.

Professor Funk posted:

Let's see...

Defensive RotY then 7 consecutive All-Pros. 3 DPoYs. 8 Pro Bowls. 2010s All-Decade Team and honestly a fairly decent shot at the 2020s team especially considering his role in the Super Bowl victory. Has a ring and $90 million dollars (pre-tax, pre-agent, pre-family). Literally what is left for him to do? Get 2 more sacks so he has 100 all-time?

He'll be 31 in a couple months and it's a whole lot harder for defensive players to win multiple Super Bowls than it is for quarterbacks, so I don't think anyone could hold it against him for not trying for multiple. If McVay walks away I don't think there's any reason for Donald to stick around.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Professor Funk posted:

Who really does this and follows through with it though? A lot of these guys are ultra competitive, not just looking to go out before they embarrass themselves like George Costanza.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

BlindSite posted:

He's earned just shy of 100 million dollars, would be a first ballot hall of famer and has a ring. There's something to be said for walking away with you health, wealth and having achieved everything there is to achieve.

I doubt he'll retire too, I can for sure see why he might though.

When you have the level of drive to reach that level, you don't just walk away. Brady would have quit a decade ago. Yes, he has nothing to prove, but he can break more records and make a lot more money so why stop and get bored when you have good years left?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lifespan posted:

When you have the level of drive to reach that level, you don't just walk away. Brady would have quit a decade ago. Yes, he has nothing to prove, but he can break more records and make a lot more money so why stop and get bored when you have good years left?

That's the thing, Brady wanted to surpass Jordan. Who is Donald surpassing? Lawrence Taylor? Reggie White? He's already on their level. As a DT he's a lot more limited in his ability to influence a game than a quarterback or a shooting guard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

He's supposed to make 55 million in the next 3 years and I'm sure the Rams will redo some of that to give him more money up front. walking away from that would be unusual.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
There are, in fact, folks who just up and walk away. Especially when they're accomplished.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think we can all agree: gently caress Aaron Rodgers

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

:hmmyes:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shinjobi posted:

It’s not gently caress the Cowboys… but I’ll allow it :hmmyes:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

There are, in fact, folks who just up and walk away. Especially when they're accomplished.

What examples are there of players who have gone out on top in the prime of their careers and stayed retired?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Donald straight up said after the game that he’s going to take some time to decide if he wants to retire or not. He’s obviously thinking about it, in spite of whatever armchair sports psychology reasons people come up with for why he won’t.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

whos that broooown posted:

What examples are there of players who have gone out on top in the prime of their careers and stayed retired?

Calvin Johnson, Barry Sanders and Andrew Luck are the only ones I can think of in the last 20 years if you're talking about all time great level player.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Aaron Donald retires
Kyler Murray traded to Miami
Russell Wilson traded to Denver

It's Trey Lance's Time

Also check out Herbie's lil trumpet
https://twitter.com/YetiOrKnot/status/1493081420293545984?t=tSV4UBOeWm1768tnr5tEhA&s=19

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lifespan posted:

Because that level of drive for him would probably be 15 or 16 years since his high school coaches told him he has a shot at pro ball. That's a long time of discipline and early mornings and everything else and that fades.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Football is done for a while and I'm sad as gently caress

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Calvin Johnson, Barry Sanders and Andrew Luck are the only ones I can think of in the last 20 years if you're talking about all time great level player.

I'm also talking about just winning a title, since people are also using that in their reasoning.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Sanders, Johnson, and Willis all leap immediately to mind as players that still had a shitload to give and just said nah

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bill Russell, Rocky Marciano, John Elway.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

Sanders, Johnson, and Willis all leap immediately to mind as players that still had a shitload to give and just said nah

Luke Kuechly too.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm including a title in this.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/kevinwildes/status/1493081058912395264

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

so one from this century.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Setting aside other beefs with that last drive this throw was legit something.

e: well crap I can't link it for some reason, the intermediate throw to Kupp over the middle before any possible things you might want to complain about happened.

https://twitter.com/J_Kaley/status/1493064523451973634

there we go

Holy poo poo, that's legitimately a no look pass. He's looking right to pull the linebacker that way then throwing to the middle where he just made the linebacker vacate.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Bill Russell, Rocky Marciano, John Elway.

Russell was 35 and Elway was 38.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Russell was 35 and Elway was 38.

They were both still very good and had just won championships. Also, being an NFL defensive lineman is extremely brutal on the body. Maybe he wants to be able to walk when he’s older.