Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If this was the Lions, the Bengals would've kicked a 73 yard FG that double doinked over the crossbars to win with no time left on the clock after that final Stafford drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah this armchair psychology poo poo is exhausting.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They were both still very good and had just won championships. Also, being an NFL defensive lineman is extremely brutal on the body. Maybe he wants to be able to walk when he’s older.

Yeah, fair enough. It's still rare though.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Lifespan posted:

When you have the level of drive to reach that level, you don't just walk away. Brady would have quit a decade ago. Yes, he has nothing to prove, but he can break more records and make a lot more money so why stop and get bored when you have good years left?

Barry Sanders. Andrew Luck. Luke Kuechly. Patrick Willis. It happens a lot.

You can make a lot of money but no amount will buy you new grey matter after you've concussed yours into mush.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I’m very sad

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Luck? He was a great talent but he was a mess injury wise and Sanders was also much older. Donald is more than welcome to retire (please do) and I understand he plays in a position that beats the gently caress out of you, even more than the average NFL player, but when you have that level of drive you aren't interested in being "one of the best", you want to be the GOAT. For that reason, I just don't believe Donald walks away.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I thought about making mention of Andrew Luck but considered that closer to a medical retirement

Edit: lol this generalizing is amazing. You don't know the dude any better than we do and he's said he's going to consider retirement

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 14, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whos that broooown posted:

Yeah, fair enough. It's still rare though.

Jim Brown I guess for another one with a ring. Sandy Koufax? We're going deep into the annals here.

Comedy option Tim Tebow. Those BCS championships count.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sadness is a fertile soil for future victories

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull

Lifespan posted:

Luck? He was a great talent but he was a mess injury wise and Sanders was also much older. Donald is more than welcome to retire (please do) and I understand he plays in a position that beats the gently caress out of you, even more than the average NFL player, but when you have that level of drive you aren't interested in being "one of the best", you want to be the GOAT. For that reason, I just don't believe Donald walks away.

Barry Sanders retired at 31.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Apologies. Congrats on the retirement Donald because I super care.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's the thing, Brady wanted to surpass Jordan. Who is Donald surpassing? Lawrence Taylor? Reggie White? He's already on their level. As a DT he's a lot more limited in his ability to influence a game than a quarterback or a shooting guard.

Jokes on him, after 2008 he never could surpass Jordan's championship winning % :smug:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lifespan posted:

What do you think he’d need to accomplish to be considered the GOAT over Reggie White or LT or whoever?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lining up in shotgun on 4th and 1, and throwing the pass, while not even showing the possibility of QB sneak was the worst play-call in a Super Bowl since Seattle threw the ball.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

At least this SB is another piece of evidence on "the NFL is rigged" argument.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Retiring on a SB winning season where your last play was a sack to seal the victory is about as sweet as it's gonna get imo

On the other hand 55 million is a lot of clams.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
loving dead and buried

https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/1493061664719081472
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1493067888563040258

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Next year, everyone can get in on the ground floor of the Cincinnati Bengals. Yours and mine, baby. And a Hell Yeah to go along with that invitation!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Lining up in shotgun on 4th and 1, and throwing the pass, while not even showing the possibility of QB sneak was the worst play-call in a Super Bowl since Seattle threw the ball.

Double post

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Burrow’s leg was hosed up, he could hardly move in the pocket, a sneak attempt would be a pretty obvious bluff and they couldn’t get any push anyway.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Lifespan posted:

Believe me know

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

This is tossed in the same well of human suffering as Marino never getting a ring and the Bills losing all them Super Bowls in a row. Soak it up, boys.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Burrow’s leg was hosed up, he could hardly move in the pocket, a sneak attempt would be a pretty obvious bluff and they couldn’t get any push anyway.

The injuries to OBJ and Burrow really put a damper on the game, though arguably OBJ getting hurt is the only thing that gave the Bengals a chance in the first place.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

But then Staffords wife had brain cancer and he had to play for the Lions. Life is crazy.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Lifespan posted:

Believe me we know it

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I personally talked to Aaron donald and he told me he'd like to have dinner with stalin.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Asproigerosis posted:

I personally talked to Aaron donald and he told me he'd like to have dinner with stalin.

Shut up Hitler.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

This is TFF

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

sweet thursday posted:

*In James Earl Jones voice* This. Is TFF

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 14, 2022

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Eric Weddle tore his pec in the first quarter and finished the game. Have fun in re-retirement old man

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1493078451233824772?s=21

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 14, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LA Hogs celebrating in style

https://twitter.com/kevrector/status/1493097020877246466

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Politics makes fools of us all

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hahahah LAPD can’t stop shooting people, imagine Canada cops pulling that poo poo with actual shitheads

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I wish the Bengals D could stop a drive like the LAPD apparently can. Swallow that, police.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

sweet thursday posted:

I wish the Bengals D could stop a drive like the LAPD apparently can. Swallow that, police.

It's LA though, people die all the time on the street and are never missed/noone cares, so why should the cops?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I miss them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1493110417656143874?t=ETp4nZIssb7h77o7w5Jgeg&s=19

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The NFL is a rigged and scripted league whose sole purpose is enrichment of its owners. Nothing is going to happen to Ross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Would like a Donald Sterling type resolution to this but the NFL brass and owners are irredeemably evil and cowardly