Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Majere posted:

Does the guy from internetkhole still post or is there a 90's equivalent yet?

I guess its this thread...

It's run by a woman and she's on Instagram now, although the amount of content seems to have slowed and its like 60% personal page now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Ok Comboomer posted:

remember Mac Tonight

remember when there was a brief moment in the mid-2010s when a bunch of Nazi losers tried to make Mac Tonight into a white supremacist symbol?

yes it fuckin sucked

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's the expression of someone forced to learn the violin and made to hold it by their parents because look how good you become at it!!

I don't think you hold an instrument like that if you actually care for it.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
You may be right about the expression but I'm pretty sure that's just how you hold a violin...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roblo posted:

You may be right about the expression but I'm pretty sure that's just how you hold a violin...

The vibe I got was a parent telling them to pose with it because They Say So, and they're just giving it the bare-minimum effort.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's the expression of someone forced to learn the violin and made to hold it by their parents because look how good you become at it!!

I don't think you hold an instrument like that if you actually care for it.

It's almost King of the Hill cosplay.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Roblo posted:

It's a surprisingly awkward object when not being held how it's meant to be played.

Like carrying a longarm with no sling. How do you even set it down safely, both for the safety of the mechanism and in general?

Well, me vainly attempting to learn the violin for a year and a half was definitely a 90's thing. The one extracurricular activity I chose for myself, and ended up hating it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
None if these are me, there isn't one with piles of comics, Scifi and fantasy novels and vhs tapes of anime and star trek.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
none of them are me because i wasn't allowed to hang anything on my walls until i was in high school, which 2000

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mactheknife posted:

none of them are me because i wasn't allowed to hang anything on my walls until i was in high school, which 2000

Me too, again, my dad is one of those dads who are always worried you're going to wreck things.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

Me too, again, my dad is one of those dads who are always worried you're going to wreck things.

:same:

For a while he liked brining up how hard he had to scrub the walls in my bedroom when we moved out of a house, I was 5 when we moved out of that house.

Don't get me started on how much trouble I got into for "drawing" on my particleboard desk. My brother finally admitted to being the culprit after he was in his 20s, he apparently liked watching me get punished.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I always feel a weird sense of melancholy whenever I see that stuff. My household growing up was a mess filled with junk from my hoarder mom so I slept in a cramped space in an open office area with my brother, and my 'area' was a corner of the dining room where I could just barely keep a few things in between the mountains of boxes and cheap tchotchke trash that's never going to be used.

The idea of having an entire room to yourself, that you can decorate as you want, just seems so wild. Yet alone decorate with weird, cultural stuff without constantly being bothered by the idea that you might have to explain it to your parents, even if it's totally benign.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

mactheknife posted:

High School was when I had to STOP hanging things on my walls.

My parents did a minor renovation on a few rooms in the house when I was like 13, my brother and I's room included. All the walls and ceiling torn down, floor ripped up, whole nine yards. So you bet your rear end they were not going to allow tack holes or tape residue on their new walls.

Edit: Oh, and a couple pages late to 90's name chat, but basically we can just watch this easy reference video on 90's kids' names:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDYF_nu2I4M

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Bought some Chupa Chups from the Asian grocery store near my house since they were selling them by the register. I haven't had one of those goddamned things since '99, so I ate the three that I bought one right after the other

Edit: guess Chupa Chups are not 90s specific, but the first time I ever had them was because they were doing an ad campaign with the Spice Girls, so I associate them with the 90s, I guess

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Jan 23, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happy Landfill posted:

Bought some Chupa Chups from the Asian grocery store near my house since they were selling them by the register. I haven't had one of those goddamned things since '99, so I ate the three that I bought one right after the other

Edit: guess Chupa Chups are not 90s specific, but the first time I ever had them was because they were doing an ad campaign with the Spice Girls, so I associate them with the 90s, I guess

You can't say that and not tell us what flavours you got :colbert:.

Btw the correct answer for best flavour is Watermelon, and no I will not be taking questions at this time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Happy Landfill posted:

I only really ever have Chupa Chups when I visit family in Latin America, which means that I haven’t had a Chupa Chup in like probably a decade at this point (I’ve been back since, but never for long enough or with unfocused enough itinerary that I end up eating a lollipop. Mainly I’ve been back for weddings and poo poo)

Fun fact: the Chupa Chups logo was designed by Salvador Dalí

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't say that and not tell us what flavours you got :colbert:.

Btw the correct answer for best flavour is Watermelon, and no I will not be taking questions at this time.

Two strawberry and...orange, I think the second one was? They were real good 10/10

Ok Comboomer posted:

Fun fact: the Chupa Chups logo was designed by Salvador Dalí
I didn't know that! It's a drat fine looking logo

I actually had no idea Chupa Chups were Latin American until I looked it up just now

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 09:27 on Jan 23, 2022

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Happy Landfill posted:

I remember "gourmet" lollipops being a bit of a fad in the mid to late 90s; think like jelly belly like flavors but its a lollipop.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sekhmnet posted:

I remember "gourmet" lollipops being a bit of a fad in the mid to late 90s; think like jelly belly like flavors but its a lollipop.

I remember being able to get some giant gourmet lollipops from middle school. They were gigantic and came in a billion flavors. I wonder if those are still around? I think they were one of those "fundraiser" type candies

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Heath posted:

I remember being able to get some giant gourmet lollipops from middle school. They were gigantic and came in a billion flavors. I wonder if those are still around? I think they were one of those "fundraiser" type candies

you can get them in candy stores (duh), and depending on what you mean by "giant gourmet" occasionally at like Walgreens, etc.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Happy Landfill posted:

I associate them with the obscure British 2D platformer game Zool (1992). So there's definitely some connection with that whole second British Invasion thing that was going on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We had, and still have giant hard candy lollypops, usually multilayered.

They also came in giant dummy size (pacifier) back in the day and what makes this all so 90s is that this was all because of Speed and E clubbing culture. Whistles and regular dummies were used on that scene to stop you from grinding your teeth together.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Happy Landfill posted:

These were great. Our babysitter when I was a child was obsessed with them. We'd camp out the street corner to wait for the ice cream truck (we were on a little side street he wouldn't go down) and buy out the entire stock.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

I associate them with the obscure British 2D platformer game Zool (1992). So there's definitely some connection with that whole second British Invasion thing that was going on.
I also feel like for the longest time after the Spice Girls thing you just couldn't find them anywhere? I remember keeping an eye out for any sort of Chupa Chup and never having any luck, so they are definitely an artifact of the 90s in my mind

BaronVonVaderham posted:

These were great. Our babysitter when I was a child was obsessed with them. We'd camp out the street corner to wait for the ice cream truck (we were on a little side street he wouldn't go down) and buy out the entire stock.
THOSE!!!!!!!!! :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Suddenly the anime kid obsession with Ahegao makes sense... :thunk:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Suddenly the anime kid obsession with Ahegao makes sense... :thunk:

N-no.... :catstare:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Emma Bunton pioneered the ahegao face? Who knew?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

zig a zig AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

I remember watching this every week and... damned if I remember what actually happened. Was anything ever answered?

Then again, it's entirely possible the show had a conclusion but I don't remember anything because I was a teen and probably mostly watched it for Andrea Parker's legs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Trabant posted:

I remember watching this every week and... damned if I remember what actually happened. Was anything ever answered?

Then again, it's entirely possible the show had a conclusion but I don't remember anything because I was a teen and probably mostly watched it for Andrea Parker's legs.

It got cancelled, then TNT or something was supposed to give it 3 TV movies. Much like the Babylon 5 spinoff, they cancelled it after the first movie.

Yeah Miss Parker is a smoke show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Edit: Hold on, i’ve got more:

Gonz has a new favorite as of 10:19 on Feb 14, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gonz posted:

Life loving sucks rear end now. loving internet ruined it all.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I know the reality is that I got old as gently caress, still, get the gently caress off my lawn.

:corsair:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Sir Lemming posted:

I remember getting to Blueberry Hill Zone.

E: Speaking of nostalgic product tie-ins, I remember a game with the Quavers mascot that was all about setting up dominos to fall in a sequence.

Prurient Squid has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Feb 14, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Prurient Squid posted:

E: Speaking of nostalgic product tie-ins, I remember a game with the Quavers mascot that was all about setting up dominos to fall in a sequence.

Pushover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzHPbo_ZPX0

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

Ugh I miss going into those kinds of store and thinking "I have 40bux, what can i get? Should i get one expensive thing or a bunch of small things?"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Trabant posted:

Yeah, turns out he was pretending the entire time.

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh I miss going into those kinds of store and thinking "I have 40bux, what can i get? Should i get one expensive thing or a bunch of small things?"

Except for Brookstone. Ain't no way you're walking out of there with something for 40 bucks.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Waldenbooks was my first retail job. By retail standards it wasn't bad. Sunday nights I would get the 6pm to 12 am shelving shift. There is something very relaxing about taking a cart of books and just putting them in alphabetical order. Two other coworkers did that shift and we had full control of the sound system. So we'd each put in a few CDs and hit random. You'd get this mix of 90's metal, showtunes and bits from comedy albums. Which shouldn't work but it kind of did.

And I got to take part in this:

That was a pretty good day. Hung out with a bunch of TSR people, gave away a gently caress ton of swag, didn't have to go near a register, and got an attaboy from my manager for selling 10000% of the RPG sections sales total for the year in one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, turns out he was pretending the entire time.

Except for Brookstone. Ain't no way you're walking out of there with something for 40 bucks.

Maaaan, I don’t know about that. I figure you could probably walk out of there with at least some sort of small foot massage tool for under 40 bucks.

Or perhaps an alarm clock.