Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

4. Raging Loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[11] Metroid (NES) 2/14/22

Review:
Started playing this coming off of Codename: Viper and just sat down and beat it in one sitting. Confession time, the only Metroid I ever beat was Zero Mission on GBA back in high school. I played most Metroid games but they never really grabbed me before. Not as a kid, and not when I tried as an adult. I decided "why not" here and used a map to complete the game because I wasn't going to do hand drawn maps myself, gently caress that. This game is actually really great and surprisingly not that long. Everything holds up surprisingly well for 1986. The best part of all is the music and sound effects, it works so well. The controls are tight (for NES) and I love all the power-ups. I beat mother brain with like 16 HP left and no E tanks left, and it was a rush. The downsides of this game are 1) No map in game, so you have to consult like Nintendo Power or whatever, and 2) Refilling your HP and missiles is a drag. I had to gently caress around in the last area because I was getting hosed by metroids constantly.

If you never beat this (like me) I recommend playing this and seeing where it all started.

8/10

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
zero mission rules. fusion uses the same engine so it feels snappy but its pretty linear. play am2r!

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

That Little Demon posted:

[11] Metroid (NES) 2/14/22

Review:
Started playing this coming off of Codename: Viper and just sat down and beat it in one sitting. Confession time, the only Metroid I ever beat was Zero Mission on GBA back in high school. I played most Metroid games but they never really grabbed me before. Not as a kid, and not when I tried as an adult. I decided "why not" here and used a map to complete the game because I wasn't going to do hand drawn maps myself, gently caress that. This game is actually really great and surprisingly not that long. Everything holds up surprisingly well for 1986. The best part of all is the music and sound effects, it works so well. The controls are tight (for NES) and I love all the power-ups. I beat mother brain with like 16 HP left and no E tanks left, and it was a rush. The downsides of this game are 1) No map in game, so you have to consult like Nintendo Power or whatever, and 2) Refilling your HP and missiles is a drag. I had to gently caress around in the last area because I was getting hosed by metroids constantly.

If you never beat this (like me) I recommend playing this and seeing where it all started.

8/10

there's a quality of life ROM hack called Metroid + Saving that replaces the PW system with save files (which i think were in the FDS version) and a mini-map that you can access by pressing select but that defeats some of the challenge imo

i grew up playing super metroid so that'll always be my favorite of the series.

also, this:

ArfJason posted:

zero mission rules. fusion uses the same engine so it feels snappy but its pretty linear. play am2r!

am2r is probably the most polished nintendo fangame i've ever played

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

tmfc posted:

there's a quality of life ROM hack called Metroid + Saving that replaces the PW system with save files (which i think were in the FDS version) and a mini-map that you can access by pressing select but that defeats some of the challenge imo

i grew up playing super metroid so that'll always be my favorite of the series.

also, this:

I get the challenge aspect of not having a map, but gently caress trying to shoot and bomb every single block in every single room, I would have preferred the map

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

tmfc posted:

if only there was a link gets laid dx.....

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

tmfc posted:

The version packed in with zero mission had a quick save which is why I finally was able to beat it. As a kid I would inevitably gently caress up some part of transcribing the 24 character case sensitive password.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

I get the challenge aspect of not having a map, but gently caress trying to shoot and bomb every single block in every single room, I would have preferred the map

that's fair, i don't think i've ever gotten 100% in NES metroid

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

P-Mack posted:

The version packed in with zero mission had a quick save which is why I finally was able to beat it. As a kid I would inevitably gently caress up some part of transcribing the 24 character case sensitive password.

i think fusion had one, if you connected fusion and prime you'd get the fusion suit in prime and unlock metroid 1 in fusion. mayhaps you're thinking of that. or they both had it. or i'm misremembering. either way that's also the only time i beat it too.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i think you could play metroid 1 in all three fusion, zero mission and prime

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Halo: Reach

The early levels are a little boring but everything after the Space mission is golden. Even when you know the ending everything still feels tense and the enemy is really overwhelming.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[12] Metroid 2: Return of Samus (GB) 2/15/22

Review:
Decided to play this one as well having never played it. It's literally better than the first Metroid in nearly every way. Samus has a good sprite now and doesn't look like, whatever the hell is going on there in Metroid 1. The game is super impressive for a gameboy game and I had a blast. I started playing it, and didn't stop until I finished it. The music is once again excellent and this time the game is broken up into stages or levels, more linear design where you are hunting down metroids until you get to the queen. The game controls really well, much better than the NES one. You can now duck and shoot which was a game changer. Honestly I am really impressed and sad I never played this as a kid, because I would have loved it.
The only flaws in my opinion are once again a map would have been nice instead of a pause screen, and going into the last area it would have been nice to know I would need an ice beam again lol. I only had to look at a map a few times but everything else I was able to find naturally by exploring. Another downside is not much variety in enemies. Every jobber enemy is just like 1 hit kill and they aren't really a threat, and every metroid is sort of a mini boss. The only real boss is the last boss, who is a pushover once you know how to stun her. The game is also pretty drat easy but I get that. Overall, it's a great game and worth playing today still.

8.5/10

That Little Demon fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 15, 2022

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you're in for a treat. assuming you're not stopping there

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

b_d posted:

you're in for a treat. assuming you're not stopping there

yep, really excited for whats next: Metroid Prime Pinball!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Code Name: Viper (easy, roughly ten billion continues)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah same here. I tried to power through last night when I got off work but I was getting too drowsy to react to the enemy bullets. It ended up only taking me one more try this morning. I definitely played and enjoyed worse games growing up but it's so hard going back to "nintendo hard" now that I actually have options.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I hate the term nintendo hard so much cause its an excuse for very retarded bullshit in old games lol and most modern games that market themselves as "RELIVE THE DIFFICULTY OF OLD GAMES" do things a lot differently ie: super meat boy had very short levels so itd be like having checkpoints everywhere and infinite lives

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

I hate the term nintendo hard so much cause its an excuse for very retarded bullshit in old games lol and most modern games that market themselves as "RELIVE THE DIFFICULTY OF OLD GAMES" do things a lot differently ie: super meat boy had very short levels so itd be like having checkpoints everywhere and infinite lives

yeah nintendo hard usually meant like guys spawn in from offscreen and kill you in one hit. its not hard its just fuckin bullshit

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ArfJason posted:

yeah most modern games that are billed as difficult is a much more satisfying type of difficulty than finite lives and zero checkpoints or impossible to avoid deaths or totally arcane traps or progression flags

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I finally finished The Witcher 3 a few weeks ago. Started playing it in 2018, 427 hours logged. Completed all side quests (except collecting all Gwent cards, there’s 2 or 3 from random merchants I still haven’t found) all armor sets, treasure hunts, map markers, etc. what is there to say about this game that hasn’t been said already? It’s just great- the world, the stories, the characters, the music and voice acting, all stellar. The final cutscene of Blood & Wine really did give me a feeling of accomplishment after a long journey that few games manage to pull off right, and that part where Geralt briefly breaks the fourth wall and grins at the player threw me off lol. The only real drawback was that the enemy encounters, with some exceptions, weren’t very good and that the combat felt like it needed more variety, especially against the human foes you’re fighting 70% of the time. Not too big of a gripe in the long run though, I never got to a point where I outright thought the combat was boring (those big bandit forts in B&W came pretty close, though)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

yeah nintendo hard usually meant like guys spawn in from offscreen and kill you in one hit. its not hard its just fuckin bullshit

it's either that or incomprehensible controls.

a lot of the difficulty in early games is because of how many of them are arcade ports where they want your quarters anyway.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

427 hours logged.

do you leave your console running a lot? i think that's like 4 times as much as i spent doing literally every quest :stare:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Bicyclops posted:

do you leave your console running a lot? i think that's like 4 times as much as i spent doing literally every quest :stare:

Yes, probably about 20-30 hours of that is paused. Gwent is probably about 100 hours though

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Yes, probably about 20-30 hours of that is paused. Gwent is probably about 100 hours though

i did gwent too - i'm gonna have to check my hours clocked now.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

i did gwent too - i'm gonna have to check my hours clocked now.

I think mine was around 250 hours, all Gwent as well

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ArfJason posted:

it should be either dark souls hard or mike matteis cock hard

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

6) Code Name: Viper

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

yep, really excited for whats next: Metroid Prime Pinball!

Good luck and have fun, TLD! :D

hahaha yeah not gonna lie, that was my first thought too :D

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

Same. It's fine

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Chrono Trigger: i really wish i played this when i was a little young wee pup so I'd have more drive to replay this, i feel there is a lot of options on how the story plays out depending on your choices. Which is kinda mind blowing for a snes game. I loved the tech battle system and had a lot of fun experimenting with everyone's combos, and the game wasn't really that hard so it gave me room to just play around with stuff. The story and characters are great, and the music tracks are real ear worms. Glad I finally got around to this, I had a passing thought of maybe they could give this game a FF7R treatment since the world isn't so much big but theres more variety what with jumping through time periods and whatnot so it would possible be more technically feasible? Or they could leave it as it is and let it sit as the masterpiece it's already become.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

no update needed

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nutmeg posted:

Chrono Trigger: i really wish i played this when i was a little young wee pup so I'd have more drive to replay this, i feel there is a lot of options on how the story plays out depending on your choices. Which is kinda mind blowing for a snes game. I loved the tech battle system and had a lot of fun experimenting with everyone's combos, and the game wasn't really that hard so it gave me room to just play around with stuff. The story and characters are great, and the music tracks are real ear worms. Glad I finally got around to this, I had a passing thought of maybe they could give this game a FF7R treatment since the world isn't so much big but theres more variety what with jumping through time periods and whatnot so it would possible be more technically feasible? Or they could leave it as it is and let it sit as the masterpiece it's already become.

It's a perfect game OP.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Chode Game: Wiper

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

no update needed

this. i don't want a hyperrealistic, voice-acted Frog or whatever. i think they could take another stab at a sequel, though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

this. i don't want a hyperrealistic, voice-acted Frog or whatever. i think they could take another stab at a sequel, though.

chrono break proved to be real after metroid dread was

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i want a hyper realistic voice-acted frog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Frog voiced by Ewan McGregor.