Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

signalnoise posted:

I call it the rubdown

This is the most basic version of what I'm calling "the rubdown" and it's when you are putting attack basically on "always" and then dodging or deflecting when necessary. The hits that you land will give you a tiny bit of a pause, and when you get used to it, you can use it to help you in timing your parries. Always be killing poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX8BNeFA3BY

I recommend practicing this with just tapping light or heavy attack, not trying to work in cool poo poo yet. The light attack string and heavy attack string are really good moves, as you can see from the massive amount of posture damage I'm building up on Fighter here relative to his health with quick attacks. Heavy attacks do LOTS of regular damage, and if you just press that you'll find yourself killing the lowest level mook in 3 hits. Don't ignore your starting kit, it's really good

Also a note on how the movelist and combos work, because it's really simple and powerful but not super obvious I think.

The movelist contains every possible attack input that the game can recognize, and any attack can be done at any time, except that you can't use the same move twice in a row. This resets if you stop attacking long enough to drop your stance. It's like 2 seconds. That is why if you've tried to use sweep on something multiple times and couldn't get it to work, you might have had problems. By the way, you can avoid that by using that move where you hit LH real fast and it spins you around 180 degrees. Turning your back to the enemy means you can use the rear sweep, which is more likely to hit things anyway if you're real close because it has an arc that corresponds to how much you have to turn around, and it has the extra property of ducking, which the forward sweep doesn't have. Anyway this means you can make neat combos of your own that do cool poo poo. One of my favorites is the charging kick 66H thing into palm strike. The run up tends to put them off balance enough that the palm strike will land, and if you slap an enemy into a wall with that it's pretty devastating. You can also do silly poo poo like the stun slap out of it, which is cool for hitting things next to ledges.

You can buffer inputs such that you input something and it will come out as soon as your current attack is done, and your current attack will be done when you hear the audio feedback of a hit, guard, or miss. So basically proper timing for combos is to put in a new input after each attack, but before the next attack is complete. I'm pretty sure that optimal play will be constant attack and defense simultaneously because the most effective defense is made no less effective by attacking 100% of the time that you aren't actively parrying or dodging, and parrying or dodging just makes your attacking better.

edit: i dunno why the gently caress youtube is basically instant processing sometimes and then other times it takes like hours

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Anyone know if there is a way to swap the block direction input? Pressing block and up to go back feels incredibly unnatural to me and it keeps loving me up.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bushmaori posted:

Anyone know if there is a way to swap the block direction input? Pressing block and up to go back feels incredibly unnatural to me and it keeps loving me up.

If I'm understanding you correctly, block and up isn't your input to go back. That's to dodge low attacks, it just happens that the character steps back during the animation. If you just want to back off you're better off hitting "rush" (RT) and back.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
It really sucks that you can't replace a run without beating it. The first time I got no deaths on the Squats I took the shortcut and bought 2 useless shrine picks because I didn't know what I was doing yet. Now I have to start a whole new game if I want to repick.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

If I'm understanding you correctly, block and up isn't your input to go back. That's to dodge low attacks, it just happens that the character steps back during the animation. If you just want to back off you're better off hitting "rush" (RT) and back.

I know, but that still fucks with me a lot for some reason. Maybe it's my God Hand memory, but it just feels wrong for me.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Yeah the avoid directions are opposite of Godhand's and it hosed me up for a good chunk of time. It's worst in the third boss, I want to push down to dodge low and up to dodge high so bad on her combos.

I couldn't find a setting to swap it but you might be able to autohotkey swap it with lb. I haven't tried because I was afraid of introducing input lag.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Yeah the avoid directions are opposite of Godhand's and it hosed me up for a good chunk of time. It's worst in the third boss, I want to push down to dodge low and up to dodge high so bad on her combos.

I couldn't find a setting to swap it but you might be able to autohotkey swap it with lb. I haven't tried because I was afraid of introducing input lag.

the secret to the third boss is to bring a weapon so you can parry her without taking chip damage, I can't tell her high and low attacks apart even when they're happening, let alone beforehand.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Agnostalgia posted:

the secret to the third boss is to bring a weapon so you can parry her without taking chip damage, I can't tell her high and low attacks apart even when they're happening, let alone beforehand.

I always break it over her face about a third of the way into her health bar. I don't have any weapon upgrades bought because I never use them.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Beat this game today and I mean Actually finished it, spared all the bosses, got the true ending. MAN what a ride. Extremely frustrating at parts but when it clicks, it loving owns. My GOTY so far, though it's only a couple months in.

I have to say that going back and sparing the bosses wasn't at all the pain the rear end I thought it was going to be. I was pleasantly surprised.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Goodguy3 posted:

Beat this game today and I mean Actually finished it, spared all the bosses, got the true ending. MAN what a ride. Extremely frustrating at parts but when it clicks, it loving owns. My GOTY so far, though it's only a couple months in.

I have to say that going back and sparing the bosses wasn't at all the pain the rear end I thought it was going to be. I was pleasantly surprised.

Same, just finished it, short but super original and really fun and rewarding to get better at.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

You're actually better off just hitting rush by itself if you want to go back

Anyways I made a discovery today that was kind of mindblowing to me and now I just appreciate this game even more- it's kind of a rhythm game, and I don't mean that in the sense of like "there's kind of a rhythm to it." I mean there is a genuine musical component to the game, and I think it would become most apparent when it is being played optimally. But at least I know the system now

So here goes. First off, the music in this game is actually giving you combat information. The music is done like Lumines, where it's a basic backing that has stuff layered on top. In this game, those layers are additional tracks that run when you are in combat. Each enemy attack pattern adds a new track to the song. I know, that's not helpful in combat by itself, but it becomes useful.

Second, enemy attacks have consistent timing according to the music. What I mean by that is each hit in a given attack string will land at the same time within a measure. It might be that out of 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and the enemy's attack for the string they are using lands on the 2, 3, 4. It might change if you dodge something, who knows, but that particular attack will always land on the 2, 3, 4. That enemy will not vary the timing on when that particular move starts or lands. They can have multiple attacks of course, but with that you can start to think about the track you're listening to that corresponds to that enemy, match up an instrument within the track that corresponds to the hits, and predict the parry timing blindfolded.

The hero can attack every beat, which is way faster than I thought. How do you attack that quickly and consistently without mashing? Use the music. It's your metronome. When you are attacking, you should be hitting L or H 4 times per measure, with roughly equal timing, while being ready to stop doing that and defend, or defend while attacking. Remember to dodge to get your structure back. I like to keep it low and only try to parry if it's cleared. I think that's the safest way to go.

Almost forgot to mention the time dilation. When you hit an enemy, the game slows down time by 1 beat. This gives you time to think about what you're going to do next, but without throwing off your rhythm. When an enemy is stunned or whatever, and it does the longer one, that's 2 beats. Because this game has timing in the enemy attacks, you can slow down time this way while getting in your hits, and prep yourself for the parry timing you'll need when it ends on the same beat that an attack would land.

Anyways hope you enjoy that, I never thought this would turn out to also be the music action game I wanted, but there ya go.

This game is so much better than it says it is

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 14, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also got the true ending, I wish there were like, post-game modes like a "70-year old mode" where you cant die in a level or maybe throughout an entire playthrough, although I guess you can hack in doing that by just dying to the firsr 2 dudes on the squat over and over lol.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

Also got the true ending, I wish there were like, post-game modes like a "70-year old mode" where you cant die in a level or maybe throughout an entire playthrough, although I guess you can hack in doing that by just dying to the firsr 2 dudes on the squat over and over lol.

My firm belief is that the actual hard mode and the intended difficulty of the game is to play it like it's an arcade game that allows you to buy upgrades over the course of the game. Start at stage 1 with nothing, play through with no permanent upgrades, and that's that. To be honest, I don't think the 70 year old mode is that interesting to me now that I see how it works for the story. The older you get, the more damage you do, but wouldn't that mean it's actually harder to win at age 20? Try starting up a new game and attempt to beat it from beginning to end without permanently unlocking anything, that should be your challenge. :)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I actually thought the secret ending was going to be you have to replay the entire game again, at the age you were when you finished it the first time. After finishing it, it would have been so sick if that was the mechanic PLUS you also had to spare the enemies.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I still haven't beaten the game at all because I am too enamored with the dizzying splendor and elegance of this game's design

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I fought yang twice and got a lot closer the second time but I decided to go back to the slums and beat the poo poo out of idiots instead because I enjoy it lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It is extremely satisfying running back through the levels, throwing bricks at the sub-bosses as they try to deliver their opening quips.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

PantsBandit posted:

It is extremely satisfying running back through the levels, throwing bricks at the sub-bosses as they try to deliver their opening quips.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The hallway portion in the Museum where you end right on the RAGE visual is so visually enthralling.

I really love this game a lot. It doesn't feel like quite anything I've played before. Closest comparison is probably Sekiro but the experience feels like a confident off-shoot of that with its own personality and mechanics. Really got to give it to the devs for aiming for something new and cool and nailing it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

It doesn't feel like quite anything I've played before.

Honestly it rewards practice and improvement with satisfaction so well, and has so much to the combat that it doesn't tell you directly, but has been there the whole time, that I feel like they knew this stuff and intentionally didn't tell the player just because the whole point of the game was to have it be a game about the satisfaction of improvement through practice. All the unlocks and even the death system itself is a way to give the player opportunities to practice. I don't think a comparison to Sekiro is right. Sekiro is punishing and you use parries, but outside of it sharing how the parry works, they are very different games and you should approach combat very differently. Sekiro tries to kill you however it can manage, while still being beatable if you put in the time. Sifu presents enemies that can be difficult and punishing, but the game does everything it can to help you learn to beat them, even up to telling you exactly what move you should focus on from the starting skillset for each boss fight. Sifu is a game that wants the player to be good at it, and that wants the player to feel really good about getting better.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

PantsBandit posted:

The hallway portion in the Museum where you end right on the RAGE visual is so visually enthralling.

I really love this game a lot. It doesn't feel like quite anything I've played before. Closest comparison is probably Sekiro but the experience feels like a confident off-shoot of that with its own personality and mechanics. Really got to give it to the devs for aiming for something new and cool and nailing it.

I was really bitching about this game just a couple of days ago, but it’s really starting to click now. Made it out of level 1 at age 21. Finished level 2 with something like 32, but now feel like I got the boss down and am confident I can bring it back down. The L1 dodge tip was a game changer. I haven’t even really started to try partying yet (though I’m sure I will need to learn that too). It was also really helpful to watch chunks of that long 4-hour video someone posted, just to see examples of crowd control, etc. This thread has been super helpful in making the game better for me, so much appreciated.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

signalnoise posted:

So here goes. First off, the music in this game is actually giving you combat information. The music is done like Lumines, where it's a basic backing that has stuff layered on top. In this game, those layers are additional tracks that run when you are in combat. Each enemy attack pattern adds a new track to the song. I know, that's not helpful in combat by itself, but it becomes useful.

Second, enemy attacks have consistent timing according to the music. What I mean by that is each hit in a given attack string will land at the same time within a measure. It might be that out of 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and the enemy's attack for the string they are using lands on the 2, 3, 4. It might change if you dodge something, who knows, but that particular attack will always land on the 2, 3, 4. That enemy will not vary the timing on when that particular move starts or lands. They can have multiple attacks of course, but with that you can start to think about the track you're listening to that corresponds to that enemy, match up an instrument within the track that corresponds to the hits, and predict the parry timing blindfolded.

Hadn’t picked up on that and seems super neat - will focus on listening to the attack rhythms next time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

RIP to that one blonde woman in Sean's club who always eats an unexpected baseball bat to the back of the head the moment I get through the doors. :allears:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Beat Yang the first try at the ripe old age of 71 :haibrow:

honestly the third boss is easily the toughest

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Speaking of the 3rd boss, I finally beat her today, at age 73. Boy she is tough

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Perestroika posted:

RIP to that one blonde woman in Sean's club who always eats an unexpected baseball bat to the back of the head the moment I get through the doors. :allears:

If you mean the one when you first enter the club, I prefer to run up to her with the baseball bat and do a heavy attack, because then the guy next to her is also RIP

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Speaking of the 3rd boss, I finally beat her today, at age 73. Boy she is tough

now go back and kick the squats / club teeth in until you can walk into the fight against the artist at level 22 :haibrow:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Additional RIP to the "please don't hit me" guy just past the entrance.

Buddy, I will always come back to hit you.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Made it up to the CEO a few times to get a feel for her patterns/get her shortcuts for the level but I definitely need to get my Artist deaths down.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

the artist is rude. i struggled, because I think I play a little dodge-heavier than most of the folks posting videos in this thread. why take chip / structure if you can just breeze past it, right?

i could dodge almost everything, but the sluggy timing on her sweeps got me everytime. i struggled the same way with SEAN. those drat leg sweeps.

the way I got through them was accepting I couldn't perfectly time my dodges on those sweeps and just eating them to the face with a sketchy block. works like a champ and every once in a while you see the matrix and pull off a sick vertical dodge because you're not afraid of them anymore.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kuroki’s first phase is brutal but her second has extremely rigid patterns that you can practically avoid in your sleep. she only has one melee combo, a simple series of slashes ending in a drop kick that you can back-dodge. everything else is kunai tosses followed by either the guard-breaking rush strike (back dodge) or the zigzag rush strike (guard)

she can still squeak out a death or two if you mis-time your kunai catches but otherwise she might be the easiest boss besides Fajar

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

i mean, yeah, the second phase isn't really the problem. phase 1 is the hardest fight in the game. i think you were probs not responding to me.

yang might be technically more difficult on paper but by the time you hit him you've already got the skills to win

honestly phase 2 of the artist is like a fun cool down run after a marathon, she's the only boss where you're like, "thank god, phase two". god drat catching those kunai and tossing them back is baller af

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 14, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Additional RIP to the "please don't hit me" guy just past the entrance.

Buddy, I will always come back to hit you.

If he has a voice-line I haven't heard it. I always sprint towards the counter and slide over to feed him some knuckle sandwiches.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I can't figure out the timing for avoids on the Artist at all. It's not the up-down nature of them, that I get, I apparently just get confused by the animation and can't figure out the point of contact where I should be dodging. It also is compounded by the fact that she starts her strings from far away and it can be hard to tell when exactly she's going to be in range, so I just stand there dodging air like a dope while she closes on me.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

PantsBandit posted:

If he has a voice-line I haven't heard it. I always sprint towards the counter and slide over to feed him some knuckle sandwiches.

He has a voice line that adds to the detective board.

RichterIX posted:

I can't figure out the timing for avoids on the Artist at all. It's not the up-down nature of them, that I get, I apparently just get confused by the animation and can't figure out the point of contact where I should be dodging. It also is compounded by the fact that she starts her strings from far away and it can be hard to tell when exactly she's going to be in range, so I just stand there dodging air like a dope while she closes on me.

You can listen to hear exactly when they hit. Bring a stick and just block for a while and you'll get it

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 14, 2022

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

RichterIX posted:

The timing is consistent with the music, and parries work against lows.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

He has a voice line that adds to the detective board.

ugh FINE I guess I'll let him open his stupid blonde mouth.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

signalnoise posted:

The timing is consistent with the music, and parries work against lows.

Thanks for the music thing! I am mainly parrying which I have better luck with but sometimes I want to use the avoid to bring my posture damage down in a hurry.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

RichterIX posted:

Thanks for the music thing! I am mainly parrying which I have better luck with but sometimes I want to use the avoid to bring my posture damage down in a hurry.

Reminder that posture goes down if you haven't been hit in a while, but it stops going down if you are doing stuff. You can just back up and catch your breath.

Also is everyone just trying to dodge up close for every single attack? Artist1 starts her attacks from really far away, and once they've started, you can tell where they're going. Back up and wait for her to start, then once she does a high, low, tap dash to get in and dodge the second high, low and you have her dead to rights. You can also just palm strike her out of it I'm pretty sure, and go to town. Back up and catch your breath from time to time, and try avoiding damage by not being there in the first place. Enemies keep doing their full attack string whether you're in range or not.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The developer said that a future patch will add in an easier (and harder, if you hate yourself) difficulty option