Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for eating my wife’s food?

dude should divorce and let his wife not have to put up with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mx. posted:

dude should divorce and let his wife not have to put up with him

I disagree.

She should divorce so she doesn't have to put up with him.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Is my(28F) BF(28M) misogynistic, mainly in the way he greets me?

quote:

Hey guys, using a throwaway since BF is on reddit. A little background info, I have been with my BF for almost a year and he has been wonderful and we are even looking to move in together. He gets along great with my parents and my friends except for one, who we will call Sally, who isn't exactly friendly towards my BF. I've known Sally for about 2 years now and she occasionally comes to our friend group hangouts and in general she is very liberal/progressive especially on feminist topics which I do support. Now my BF is definitely more central/libertarian side when compared to some of my more liberal friends but it's never really come up when he's hung out with them and you couldn't even tell unless you asked.

Anyways, Sally and I were at a local coffee shop just chatting and catching up while I waited for my BF to pick me up. My BF arrives says "hey gorgeous" and gives me a kiss and a hug and then goes to get a cup of coffee before we leave. Ever since we became official, my BF often greets me like this, "hey gorgeous" or "hey beautiful". Personally it melts my heart to hear it especially since my BF has had trouble expressing his feelings and emotions. Anyways he stands in line and I can see that Sally is visibly annoyed. I ask her what's wrong and she finally says that the way my BF greets me is disgusting and sexist since he's only complimenting my looks and just sees me as a sexual object. I was shocked by this and never got any sort of those feelings from my BF. He's always been sweet and affectionate but I never felt like he was a misogynst. I'm planning to talk to my BF about this soon but from anyone else's perspective is the way my BF greets me considered sexist/misogynistic?

Added para break

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Willow posted:

Added para break

Amazing. The actual thing is perfectly fine, but they just drop that he's a libertarian centrist anyway.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Evil Willow posted:

Added para break

[rolls dice]... main antagonist wants relationship with ... [rolls dice] ... main character. They... [rolls dice]... attempt to sabotage... [rolls dice]... existing relationship.

Got it.

Sally wants to bone down with the OP.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for purposefully changing the picture submitted to my dad's church to include me?

quote:

So I (23F) was born when my dad and mom were in their early/mid-twenties. At that time, my dad was a wild partier that made a ton of bad decisions. So after a few casual hookups, there I was. Mom and Dad weren't exactly close so I ended up doing most of the year with her and summers with him. Around the time I was probably 4-5 years old, Dad found religion and went back to his Baptist roots. Which was great for him!

Pretty soon after, he met a woman and had my two brothers. He also became a preacher and runs his own church, which has become pretty big and popular in this area of our rural, southern state. So they started this thing a couple years ago where every few months another good christian family would be highlighted and get their picture put up on the wall with everyone's names, ages, and little family facts. It was a pretty cute practice, I thought. Well everyone picked my dad this time around and at family dinner, he told us about it and asked which picture we should use.

I chimed in and said that we had a great one with all of us when we went hiking and took a selfie on the trail. It looked good and we were all grinning. Dad pulled me aside after and explained that they were going to have to use a picture without me in it. He reminded me I was born out of wedlock and was technically a bastard, and that his church was very judgemental and religious so I couldn't be in the picture. Dad also made a point to say that I was a reminder of his wild days and he doesn't want that bad light on his good name since he's "moved on into a Christ-following man." I tried to argue that I was a part of the family either way and that I deserved to be highlighted, but he told me absolutely not.

So, when he asked little brother to send in the picture to the woman making the board, I asked him to submit the wrong picture. My brother sent in one where we were all together at the beach with my dad's arm around my shoulders. I was undeniably in the picture. I don't go to the church because I work weekends, but my brother said that some of the congregation asked about who I was in the photo and my dad had to explain the situation afterwards when my brother spoke up and said that I was his sister.

That was a week ago. Dad called me the next day, furious and screaming. He said he knew what I did and said it was selfish of me to destroy his reputation like that when I didn't even go to his church and they didn't need to know who I was. I told him that I was part of the family either way and that even if I didn't attend the church, they should know I'm his daughter like they know my little brother who doesn't go.

He told me off for bringing up his past "mistakes" and made me feel really horrible. Apparently some of his church members were gossiping about him and me, and it was causing issues at the church. I didn't mean for it to go this far. AITA?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This one needs his own acid vat, wouldn't want his slurry mixing with the others and accidentally regaining sentience somehow.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Hughlander posted:

Almost just said yes outright due to caplock and total lack of paragraphs that I added.

AITA BECAUSE I LEFT THE DATE BEFORE THR WAITRESS EVEN BOUGHT US WATER?

This person isn't the rear end in a top hat (besides the way they write) but this

quote:

Most of my friends liked the way I handled it but two of them said I was wrong. So AITA?

Makes them a slight rear end in a top hat. This whole "Why yes most people agree with me but two don't so I'm very confused please Reddit break this unsolvable riddle for me please" annoys the hell out of me

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for purposefully changing the picture submitted to my dad's church to include me?

Born-agains are the absolute worst Christians, even moreso than Evangelicals. It's like they look at the Bible and manage to weaponize it even more than most conservative factions, and that's a fairly impressive feat

Also very Christ-like to call your daughter a bastard and then scream at her because your church found out your secret. You've received your reward in full it seems!

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 14, 2022

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Smirking_Serpent posted:

this guy really gets what it means to live your life like christ

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wouldn't mind seeing him die like Him either

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Christianity really is synonymous in practice with 'straight white men should receive no consequences for their actions', isn't it?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Brawnfire posted:

Wouldn't mind seeing him die like Him either

yeah same, but we gotta get our money's worth out of the acid vat

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Christianity really is synonymous in practice with 'straight white men should receive no consequences for their actions', isn't it?

The conservative factions yeah

Methodists, Episcopalians and UCC are generally pretty cool and chill, and there are definite liberal sects, but a lot of guys become "born again" because they're weak men who covet power and they see it as a way to control someone who's not them, and a lot of women do it because they're ashamed of their past and want to "atone" for being promiscuous in the past

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jesus promised forgiveness for any and all sin so...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just can't imagine being like "after loving up my life, several other people's lives, and starting some lives in the process, I've attempted to right the ship of my soul.

So none of that poo poo happened, any dependences or debts I created during that time are null, and I am not a hypocrite for bringing down brimstone on anyone who sins an iota of my own sins."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

I just can't imagine being like "after loving up my life, several other people's lives, and starting some lives in the process, I've attempted to right the ship of my soul.

So none of that poo poo happened, any dependences or debts I created during that time are null, and I am not a hypocrite for bringing down brimstone on anyone who sins an iota of my own sins."

Well see that's cause I am FORGIVEN and they are whores who are not.

Jesus saves straight-acting white men and grants them the power of never seeing themselves as sinners ever again.

AITA for wanting to tell my brother's fiancée about the tracking app he secretly installed in the new phone he bought for her?

quote:

Pretty much the title, My f22 brother m27 is currently engaged to his fiancèe f25. he bought he a new phone for valentine's and asked my boyfriend who's trained in computer and software to install a hidden tracking app on the phone so his fianceè won't see it or notice. I overheard them talking and when I entered the room they went silent. I waited til my brother left then talked to my boyfriend, he denied having this conversation with my brother first then, admitted to installing the app on the phone.

I told him he and my brother were in the wrong because this is huge breach of privacy. he said he has nothing to do with it and advised me to stay out of it as well. but I said I want to tell my brother's fiancèe. my boyfriend argued with me about being nosy and intrusive and told me to stay out of it and let them deal with their own issues. But I thought that was unfair to my future sister in law since she's the one working, paying bills and rent and this is how she is treated? My boyfriend told me gtfo with this attitude and again, said I should stay of it because it does not in any way concern me. I don't know I feel horrible after hearing about what my brother did and since I have a good relationship with his fiancee I can't help but feel guilty and wanting to tell her.

Yup stay outta my business that is super shady because it's not your business.

Tell her and break the gently caress up with your bf.

And check your own phone.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Only the good consequences!

There's a distorted view of fairness (you get what you deserve and you deserve what you get) coupled with a cultivated sense of persecution that runs very deep in US conservative Christianity

The distortion is this: Jim believes in Jesus so he is a good man. If a good thing like a raise at work, or his wife having a healthy baby "happens" to Jim, he deserves it because he loves Jesus and is a good man. If a bad thing "happens" to Jim, like being fired (for using slurs at work) or his children are taken away by the state (because he abuses them), well, that's obviously the persecution of a good Christian man!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah, during grad school and my postdoc I would occasionally hit 60, 40-50 was regular (minus one truly heinous set of experiments where I slept in the lab for two days taking 60min timepoints, that was a 100+ week)

Point is, anything 50 or above sucks poo poo independent of any schooling, let alone with. You do not have time for anything beyond decompression (e.g. AGRESSIVE binge drinking) food, or sleep. People seem to over bid on how much they work on stories like this

Wait this isn't the peeves thread...?

When I went to school, the rule of thumb repeated by most teachers was that you should expect to spend 3 hours out of class for every credit hour, so a standard load of 15 credits would be 15 hours of class and 45 hours of reading/work/etc. 60 hours of school plus a job would have been a nightmare.

This was rarely actually the case, realistically it was 1:1 at most outside of exams or project due dates. A few semesters I took 20 credits and also worked ~20 hours a week, those were busy but by no means unmanageable.

This may not be accurate for engineering or hard science students!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

SirSamVimes posted:

It was in spoiler tags with a content warning, gently caress off.

The story you posted was fine but content warnings and spoiler tags do not make it okay to post straight-up abuse stories so keep that in mind and try to be nice.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for trying to motivate my coworkers to leave early?

There's one of this kind of person working at every restaurant and it's fascinating to see the inner machinations of their empty loving heads.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

sootikins posted:

Only the good consequences!

There's a distorted view of fairness (you get what you deserve and you deserve what you get) coupled with a cultivated sense of persecution that runs very deep in US conservative Christianity

The distortion is this: Jim believes in Jesus so he is a good man. If a good thing like a raise at work, or his wife having a healthy baby "happens" to Jim, he deserves it because he loves Jesus and is a good man. If a bad thing "happens" to Jim, like being fired (for using slurs at work) or his children are taken away by the state (because he abuses them), well, that's obviously the persecution of a good Christian man!

Absolutely spot on

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Brawnfire posted:

Well it sounds like you have some kind of urge to take responsibility for your actions. It's not for you, then.

The actual selling point of "born again" schools is that you get to hit the reset button on life; you get to be a judgmental prick because you have retroactively never done wrong, you can safely disregard your past because that was your once-born self, a different person, and you get to be real indignant when people point this out, and nothing fuels convictions like indignity.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

therobit posted:

Wow. Well, uh, I don’t envy single people the experience of whatever dating has become.

You know how some scam emails are bad on purpose because a higher threshold of someone falling for it means they're less likely to catch on and back out once more effort is made later?

Like that but with red flags.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

When I think of "Christ following man" I do tend to think of people being really lovely to their kids so the dad's behavior does check out.

The irony is that evangelical christians love comparing how awful they were prior to accepting Jesus into their hearts so this fuckhead could have already been regaling his congregation with tales of his wild partying and how once he had his daughter god spoke to him and he accepted Jesus and raised her

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

when I think of a Christ following man

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Evil Willow posted:

Added para break

Sally sounds like she's a real sourpuss.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for trying to motivate my coworkers to leave early?

OP being an rear end in a top hat aside.... "My boyfriend locks me out if I get at his apartment after 1"!? WTF?!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Absurd Alhazred posted:

OP being an rear end in a top hat aside.... "My boyfriend locks me out if I get at his apartment after 1"!? WTF?!

he locks the door before going to sleep. they don’t live together.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fil5000 posted:

We also call that a kebab over here. The putting of a thing on a skewer is what makes it a kebab in British English.
So what the hell is going on in Wigan?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for exposing my Ex-husband for taking the gift I got for my son's 16th birthday?

quote:

My F36 Ex-husband M37 divorced me after I got diagnosed with cancer. He made it all about him then blamed me for our marriage failing. Got married to a 23 year old woman who calls me by mocking nicknames

I try to have a good co parenting relationship, I have a 16 year old son who lives in both houses.

His 16th birthday was days ago, I bought him a console and sent it to his dad's house in advance since I was out of town and couldn't attend the birthday celebration.

2 days later, one day before the birthday, My ex husband called saying he opened the gift I got for our son, used it and broke it. I was in dismay when he told me and I started arguing with him about paying for it to replace it but he started pleading saying he has no money and asked that I either send another gift (didn't have to be a console) or just tell our son I didn't send him a gift. I told him no way I was going to lie to my son but he kept begging saying he'll pay me back once he's able. I ended the call with him then immediately called my son to let him know what his father did to his birthday gift. A huge fight ensued and my ex husband called me yelling saying I not only ruined our son's birthday celebration but ruined his relationship with him over a stupid console that he was going to pay for but I was being spiteful trying to one up him. My son went to stay at my place with my current husband and hasn't been speaking to his dad. His dad is blaming me because our son refusef to stay and celebrate his birthday there after finding out what his dad did.

My ex husband's wife berated me in a long text talking about how I caused a scene and used my son as a tool to get back at his daf when I could've worked things out like a "mature adult". She said she "doesn't get me" and that there's something wrong with my personality. she even claimed she would be a better, more mature mom thrn me and never involve her kids in her fights with her partner. I was upset by her lecture and felt maybe I mishandled the situation and made a hasty decision. AITA?
Petition for ex-husband to jump ahead in the line for the acid vat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sisal Two-Step posted:

quote:

My ex husband's wife berated me in a long text talking about how I caused a scene and used my son as a tool to get back at his dad when I could've worked things out like a "mature adult"

"Like my husband, who stole his son's birthday present and broke it"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That's a funny way of spelling "pawned"

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Yeah, I would have called his bluff and told him to return it. I am betting it would have been a "well it was broken so I threw it away so I don't have it anymore" excuse.

Edit: Yeah, reading more comments from the OP, he totally said he threw it away. Man, even giving him the most benefit of doubt, the guy he was an idiot who immediately broke a console and then threw it away instead of trying to get it fixed.

edgeman83 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 14, 2022

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Halloween Jack posted:

Having been to Wigan I can safely say that we should shut it down until we figure that out.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Halloween Jack posted:

absolutely gently caress all, that's half the problem

walking to the football ground from the train station takes half an hour and you see absolutely nothing except second hand car dealers and an asda. it's almost impressive how barren it is.

hard to believe it's the home of wallace and gromit

edit: the beer and pie at half time were good though, i'll give them that

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 14, 2022

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for exposing my Ex-husband for taking the gift I got for my son's 16th birthday?

Petition for ex-husband to jump ahead in the line for the acid vat.

Divorced after getting diagnosed with cancer? What a motherfucker. Everything stems from this dude being garbage argh.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's called the Gingrich Gambit

kimbo305 posted:

If it's a tech internship in the wealthy tech area, it might have a decent chance at covering the rent. If it's unpaid, then gently caress that company.
Yeah but all this internship talk is irrelevant, because the OP expects his brother to conjure a high-paying Job In Tech for his idiot son.

value-brand cereal posted:

She freaked out after I demanded she pay 5000$ for a new hearing aid because she didn't know it cost this much and complained the money she has saved is to pay for her tuition otherwise she won't be able to make any progress in college.
That money would be better spent on remedial education in basic life skills. Who the gently caress decides to deliberately break someone else's medical device to see how hard it is to break?

ChickenDoodle posted:

He’s not necessarily a rapist? He’s an rear end in a top hat who wanted a quick gently caress and didn’t get it so he through a diaper baby level tantrum. Otherwise known as a lot of my dates through online dating.
When you follow a strange woman who wants nothing to do with you and demand to get in her car with her, people are gonna call you a rapist hth

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 14, 2022

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
It comes from Care and Feeding, but reads like AITA.

quote:

This is going to sound petty and on the childish side, but here goes. I cannot stand the way my parents are with me and my sister. By every measure, I am more successful than my sister “Jane.” I earn a six-figure salary, as does my husband, we own our home, and we are planning to have a baby in the coming year or so. Jane works for a charity which, while laudable, pays next to nothing and affords her hardly any free time. Her layabout wife “works from home” selling “art” online (little cartoon drawings) and earns even less. They rent a tiny apartment and, frankly, don’t seem to be going anywhere in life.

Yet when our parents talk about me and Jane, it is crystal clear who is their favorite. They rave about her at every opportunity and invite her and her wife on holidays with them every year (pre-COVID). For example, if a friend asks my mom how everyone has been, my mom will say one sentence about me (“Sally got a promotion”) followed by a lengthy gushing about Jane (“Oh, Jane saved a woman’s life this week at the shelter! She got me a bunch of beautiful flowers as a surprise in between her shifts at the refuge and volunteering at the animal hospital, then she saved a kitten from a tree and STILL made time to visit her dad in hospital!!”). I’m exaggerating, but just barely.

She and my dad are never actively unpleasant to me, just NOTABLY less enthused about me than my sister. The recent example that has me furious was Christmas, when my husband and I bought my parents a smart TV and an iPad. These gifts were met with thanks and my dad posting about how lucky he felt on social media, which was very gratifying at the time. Then the next day when they celebrated Christmas with Jane and her wife (who of course were volunteering on Christmas Day proper), I see my dad RAVING on Facebook about the gifts they have got him and my mom: a bit of art that Jane’s wife made for them (so, a very cheap gift) and a natty photo album that Jane put together from some old photos she dug up of our parents’ wedding. (They didn’t have a photographer and always regretted it, so Jane apparently canvassed their friends who had attended and got pictures to compile the album, which while obviously an effort, also cost her nothing beyond the cheap-looking scrapbook itself.) It has been a month, and our mom still goes on about what an incredible gift it is, and has hung the homemade art in pride of place in the living room. When I ask if she likes the gifts I got her, she just replies with, “Yeah, they’re great.”

I am so done. Their favoritism is obvious, and I can hardly stand talking to them when I know that Saint Jane is going to come up. Jane and her wife are also planning on having a child in the near future (in spite of clearly not being able to afford this). I am already sick at the thought of how differently our parents are going to treat our children. Can you give me any advice on 1) raising my frustration with my parents in general, and 2) articulating that we will fall out for good if and when they treat my kids differently to Jane’s? My husband’s stance is to address such things when they come up and just ignore the favoritism from my parents (who he doesn’t gel with anyway), but my anger at them is keeping me up at night. Please help.

—Not the Favorite

On the one hand, I get it. I'm less of a disaster than most of the people in my generation in my family. Because I need less, I get less attention. Because I'm not willing to be a bank, I get next to none.

But she also seems so whiny and insufferable that I get why she's not the favorite. And those gifts from sister and wife sound really thoughtful.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

ChickenDoodle posted:

He’s not necessarily a rapist? He’s an rear end in a top hat who wanted a quick gently caress and didn’t get it so he through a diaper baby level tantrum. Otherwise known as a lot of my dates through online dating.

I mean yeah, but did they follow you out and insist on making you drive them home? I have no doubt in my mind that guy would have tried some poo poo if she let him into her car.

Evil Willow posted:

Read the title, assumed he was saying something like "hey bitch," and honestly even that would be fine if they were both okay with it. He's still a centrist libertarian rear end in a top hat, but he's not doing anything wrong here.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Sowing vs. reaping

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

blackmet posted:

It comes from Care and Feeding, but reads like AITA.

On the one hand, I get it. I'm less of a disaster than most of the people in my generation in my family. Because I need less, I get less attention. Because I'm not willing to be a bank, I get next to none.

But she also seems so whiny and insufferable that I get why she's not the favorite. And those gifts from sister and wife sound really thoughtful.

This woman sounds insufferable

Jane and her wife are clearly enjoying life the right way - they're doing what they want to do and they're pretty happy it seems. The OP seems like an absolutely miserable person and I don't think that it's the money things that's the problem, it's the fact that they see Jane and the wife happy when the OP is clearly not with their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also her contempt for her sister and in law's choice to have less lucrative but more personally fulfilling careers makes it extremely hard for me to see her in a sympathetic light.