Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

sasha_d3ath posted:

Welcome to Fash World 2022, where "Imperials are Nazis" is controversial now instead of just text.

Wait you're telling me Imperial Stormtroopers are BAD GUYS!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

tankfish posted:

For me it's the models stance and the lack of ornamentation kinda makes it lean toward the nazi side of things rather than commissar.

So what you are saying is, not enough skulls? ;)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sasha_d3ath posted:

Welcome to Fash World 2022, where "Imperials are Nazis" is controversial now instead of just text.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I too can't tell the difference between

and

They’re both very fuckable, so I get it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Images you can hear in your head

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Images you can hear in your head

'What's your safe word?"

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Images you can hearsmell in your head

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They're not Nazis

They're just fascists.

Isn’t it canon that the Emperor was numerous famous/infamous/religious/historical figures throughout his long life, Adolph Hitler among them?

Numerous 40k fans have told me this, but I have no idea if it’s true, but if it is, uhhhhh, they would be literal Nazis, yes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenMetalSun posted:

Isn’t it canon that the Emperor was numerous famous/infamous/religious/historical figures throughout his long life, Adolph Hitler among them?

Numerous 40k fans have told me this, but I have no idea if it’s true, but if it is, uhhhhh, they would be literal Nazis, yes.

I'm pretty sure he was at least Spartacus

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

No, that was Alpharius

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

No, I'm Alpharius.

Wasn't the Emperor Cliff Richard?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

GreenMetalSun posted:

He was also Jesus so clearly he decided to try something different after he had to spend 3 days on a cross.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

GreenMetalSun posted:

Maybe to the first, a strong no to the second because GW aren't THAT loving crazy, and also they're a British company who weren't founded by Mosley's lot.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

GreenMetalSun posted:

It's canon that the emperor has been among humanity for pretty much our entire written history, and possibly took the form of specific important leaders. GW has never stated that "X person was the emperor". Also GW was pretty lefty during its founding years, deliberately mocking british conservative politics (such as naming a giant war-loving monster after Margaret Thatcher).

Half of the interactions of fans and the setting can be summed up by this meme:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The only way to win not be called out for supporting facism in Warhammer 40,000 is not to play.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

The only way to win not be called out for supporting facism in Warhammer 40,000 is not to play.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It's canon that the emperor has been among humanity for pretty much our entire written history, and possibly took the form of specific important leaders. GW has never stated that "X person was the emperor". Also GW was pretty lefty during its founding years, deliberately mocking british conservative politics (such as naming a giant war-loving monster after Margaret Thatcher).

Half of the interactions of fans and the setting can be summed up by this meme:

This is more or less what I assumed it was, but I've definitely run into 40k fans who insist that, 'No, they've totally said that X person was the Emperor!'

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
so which us presidents were the emperor

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Actually you should continue to play 40k and call out fascism if you see it!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

so which us presidents were the emperor

Clearly Trump. Terrible father, constantly making awful decisions, decrepit old husk who cannot control their bowls, covers everything in gold

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Moola posted:

Clearly Trump. Terrible father, constantly making awful decisions, decrepit old husk who cannot control their bowls, covers everything in gold

He literally has a golden throne.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Wrong thread:

Baby Cerberus

:3:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

:sickos::yeshaha::sickos:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Yesssss

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Moola posted:

Actually you should continue to play 40k and call out fascism if you see it!

But my friends don't appreciate it when I tell them they're actually playing Nazis when they come to the table with Imperial Guard though and I'm inflexible in my opinions.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

But my friends don't appreciate it when I tell them they're actually playing Nazis when they come to the table with Imperial Guard though and I'm inflexible in my opinions.

that's a little harsh but I respect your convictions

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Who's a good boy, who's a good boy, who's a good boy?

Corgi Cerebus is adorable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Three wolf moon in one package.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Oh my god there's tons of baby beasts!
https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Manuel_Boria

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

The displacer is also wonderful.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

GreenMetalSun posted:

This is more or less what I assumed it was, but I've definitely run into 40k fans who insist that, 'No, they've totally said that X person was the Emperor!'

4chan memes have become canon in a large percent of the fan base. No, they never said any such thing.

Very often I have to say “okay where did they say that, because it’s not true”

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
The closest they've gotten is saying that the Emperor was the figure who inspired the legend of St. George and the Dragon. Source: Mechanicus, and even then he's not Literally Saint George, he's The Historical Figure The Legend Is Based On

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Moose-Alini posted:

4chan memes have become canon in a large percent of the fan base. No, they never said any such thing.

Very often I have to say “okay where did they say that, because it’s not true”

If I'm watching/listening to anything 40k related and see some 1d4chan meme from 2004 get referenced I know that I should find something else to watch/listen to.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Where did the thing about the emperor being a weaponized demagogue come from?

He's like some kind of AI pickup artist programmed to leads civilizations to ruin instead of disappointing sex.

From the dark age of technology.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Considering he used to be The Combination of a Bunch of Shamans Ritually Sacrificing Themselves in ~6000(?) BC, but is now an Immortal-that-Mankind-Occasionally-Spits-Out-for-Reasons, do we know when he was born? Could be "after now".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LashLightning posted:

Considering he used to be The Combination of a Bunch of Shamans Ritually Sacrificing Themselves in ~6000(?) BC, but is now an Immortal-that-Mankind-Occasionally-Spits-Out-for-Reasons, do we know when he was born? Could be "after now".

In Saturnine, Erda mentions she met the Emperor "in the time of the first cities", which I'm pretty sure implies Ur, etc. So long before M2

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty big swathe of time between 6000 bce and Ur in ~3500. Dude must have been napping a lot.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

goatface posted:

That's a pretty big swathe of time between 6000 bce and Ur in ~3500. Dude must have been napping a lot.

relatable

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

goatface posted:

he was in the background for a long while until he came to the front and made his mad max friends to handle things on a worldy level.

https://youtu.be/UUAAM1WE3Ng?t=152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
40k fluff is whatever you want it to be because GW doesn't so much as retcon as they "reveal sources with different and potentially more accurate perspectives". Anything you read, even the officially published stuff, can be propaganda or a biased account or hearsay.