Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

the most important thing is to never be affected and especially inconvenienced by the rest of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SKULL.GIF posted:

I am Deaf and I have never been in a car crash/accident in my life and I regularly and actively point out potential accidents as they develop.

Hearing is fairly worthless to driving, far far more important is checking all your mirrors and being aware of how "now" can lead to "later" while evaluating current traffic, approaching vehicles, etc

I hate driving and cars

Ears are useless in cars because they are soundproofed to poo poo and everyone just blasts music in them anyway.

Ears are however good as hell when you're a pedestrian or on a bike. Although a lot of people don't bother to use them there either. I can hear any sort of engine waaaaay before I get a visual on it.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Cars are one of the easiest things to hear because they're a repeatedly exploding pile of harmonics shaking the ground around them as they move. If ever there was a toy case to show someone how to localize an object in space with their ears, it's listening to a loud rear end car buzzing and rattling along a road.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

SKULL.GIF posted:

Actually now that I think about it, I would say that the vast majority of hearing people have no loving clue what's happening around them since they don't loving use their eyes or their necks at all. They just listen out for "OI THERE!" and don't bother to look to their sides or behind them ever. Car or no car, all you freaks are stumbling through life zombielike.

I've got an auditory processing problem , like "ear dyslexia", so everything sounds like garbled radio static unless I can see your lips or its a super Clinical situation

I super get you about hearing being overrated

I basically have earplugs/high end headphones in all the time when I'm not working.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I can hear any sort of engine waaaaay before I get a visual on it.
when i have to drive, i usually have my window rolled downs so i can hear when in an busier area. there's so many intersections where trucks and other parked cars on all sides of the street, and narrow streets basically require you to slowly bring your nose out into the intersection to see where you pretty much just end up blocking it, but you can usually hear if something is coming.

less useful with electric cars these days. but yeah if you arent doing that it's not that important of a sense.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Ears are useless in cars because they are soundproofed to poo poo and everyone just blasts music in them anyway.

Ears are however good as hell when you're a pedestrian or on a bike. Although a lot of people don't bother to use them there either. I can hear any sort of engine waaaaay before I get a visual on it.

So, you're saying loud pipes save lives?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
"war on cars" is hilarious as a concept because the cars won decades ago and we've lived in occupied territory ever since.

Here's a good one: EV charging stations in sidewalks from a few pages back. What's missing?

it's for cars, of course it can't risk being damaged. they're important, unlike pedestrians.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The bollards are pretty galling given the state of American bike lanes, yeah

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
i dunno looks like itd still be easy to smash up the electric charging station if someone felt motivated to do something like that

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This just sounds like you want to ride your bike on the sidewalk

Yes, but sidewalks are way too narrow. What we need is some sort of "second sidewalk" between the sidewalk and road, for bikes only

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I drive with my music volume very low because I have tinnitus that spikes when exposed to loud sounds. hearing is only useful when I hear someone hit the accelerator to whip around me dangerously, or for when emergency vehicles are coming and need me to pull over. it’s not that useful because I’ll put in ear plugs sometimes because highway noise is a nuisance, I’d rather save my hearing and not have a couple of days of uncomfortably loud ringing than blast music over the hell sounds of the highway

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

this morning a blue sports sedan nearly side-swiped me as I was backing out of my parking space (which is around a bend so view is obstructed) this car was going at least 40 around that bend (posted speed limit is 10…), and proceeded to blair it’s horn while peeling around me, and then blowing through a stop sign.

I live next to an elementary school…

anyway I’ve had enough. I’ve already emailed the HOA, I’m about to email my county leaders. I’ll collect signatures if I have to, but this is unsustainable people have lost their loving minds and sooner or later one of these assholes is going to run over a kid.

I don’t know what the solution would be (community patrols, more speed bumps, speed cameras, road-redesign and better crosswalks??) but something needs to change. And not just in my neighborhood but every neighborhood in this goddamn car-brained poisoned country.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Wait'll you hear how quite electric cars are until they get up to almost highway speeds and the tires start to make more noise. Luckily they can get up close to highway speeds on most roads!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Motorists hate him! Check out a weird trick this bike rider discovered to get cars not to kill him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRanHkaxSFY

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
On my way back from grocery shopping the other day, a completely silent Prius turned out to be behind me at every stop for a few blocks. Cars shouldn't be audible from more than 15 feet away, but it's certainly unnerving to have a two-ton chunk of metal quietly stalking you. If we're not going to ban cars outright, some kind unobtrusive audio cue seems valuable.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Motorists hate him! Check out a weird trick this bike rider discovered to get cars not to kill him!
If we're looking for conscientious street users, the first 30 seconds of that video suggests this guy ain't that.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is my car

it sucks

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

On my way back from grocery shopping the other day, a completely silent Prius turned out to be behind me at every stop for a few blocks. Cars shouldn't be audible from more than 15 feet away, but it's certainly unnerving to have a two-ton chunk of metal quietly stalking you. If we're not going to ban cars outright, some kind unobtrusive audio cue seems valuable.
I think they did actually change Priuses to be more audible at some point, but maybe not enough

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
my friend's chevy bolt makes a sound like the unlockable UFO from vigilante 8

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRanHkaxSFY

New York is something. the bikers boosting off of cars with their hands is lol. that must make drivers homicidal with rage

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

withak posted:

Wait'll you hear how quite electric cars are until they get up to almost highway speeds and the tires start to make more noise. Luckily they can get up close to highway speeds on most roads!

Electric cars all play their own made up ambience to create more noise. They end up sounding strange because it doesn't align to how the car is moving spatially. i.e., it'll randomly increase volume a lot when the car hits a certain speed making it sound like it teleported closer.

They also still have that seismic rumble from rolling two thousand pounds of poo poo over the ground.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

New York is something. the bikers boosting off of cars with their hands is lol. that must make drivers homicidal with rage

as much as i would like the cool bike guy to be in new york, that's actually miami

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

They also still have that seismic rumble from rolling two thousand pounds of poo poo over the ground.
4-6000 pounds

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Just had someone in a large SUV tailgate me for three miles on a four lane road with light traffic. I was in the right lane, going five over the limit. At one point, I raise my hand and point to the totally unoccupied left lane to pass me in. But no, even more aggressive tailgating to the point where I can't see their headlights in my rear view mirror. I eventually make my right hand turn by going extra slow since it's directly after a large bend in the road. They rev around me flipping me off and then veer back into the right lane so vigorously I thought they were going to roll over. Why, why instigate this poo poo? We're already miserable in this car dependent hellscape, no need to add to it.

gently caress cars.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

anyway I’ve had enough. I’ve already emailed the HOA, I’m about to email my county leaders. I’ll collect signatures if I have to, but this is unsustainable people have lost their loving minds and sooner or later one of these assholes is going to run over a kid.

they don't give a gently caress about kids lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

WaryWarren posted:

Just had someone in a large SUV tailgate me for three miles on a four lane road with light traffic. I was in the right lane, going five over the limit. At one point, I raise my hand and point to the totally unoccupied left lane to pass me in. But no, even more aggressive tailgating to the point where I can't see their headlights in my rear view mirror. I eventually make my right hand turn by going extra slow since it's directly after a large bend in the road. They rev around me flipping me off and then veer back into the right lane so vigorously I thought they were going to roll over. Why, why instigate this poo poo? We're already miserable in this car dependent hellscape, no need to add to it.

gently caress cars.
pro tip, windshield wiper fluid can squirt and splash back a car immediately behind you at speed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Polo-Rican posted:

Yes, but sidewalks are way too narrow. What we need is some sort of "second sidewalk" between the sidewalk and road, for bikes only

This sounds like you want roads, but only for bikes

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Milo and POTUS posted:

they don't give a gently caress about kids lmao

yeah. getting to vroom vroom and go fast is real. the dead kid is only hypothetical, and it'll probably be someone else's kid anyway, and even then they probably had it coming because their negligent parents let them step into the death zone, and that's just what happens. c'est la mort

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This sounds like you want roads, but only for bikes

To be fair we totally should have less car lanes, a dedicated bike lane, and dedicated pedestrian sidewalks with lots of trees to act as natural shade / soak up rain water.

Instead we just build more car lanes, expect bikes to bike in them, and then lol sidewalks if they exist are all uneven, broken, and you're likely to be run over by a car going 30 over anyway because the driver was too distracted on their phone

WaryWarren posted:

gently caress cars.

This is a weekly occurrence where I live. Car brain poison is real.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
St Paul is going through a huge arbor overhaul thanks to our dedication to ash trees followed by the recent introduction of the emerald ash borer. This means there are a lot saplings where massive trees used to be.

In the last year, there have been 2 accidents that require the car to have been driving like a total rear end in a top hat that took our 4 saplings. Only wish they had been full grown trees.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polo-Rican posted:

as much as i would like the cool bike guy to be in new york, that's actually miami

oh right, I just read "NY" and autocompleted

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
a little cartharsis for everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msWpkaCnWHY&t=200s

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/owasow/status/1493386242729254913

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

:eyepop: 46%!! That's loving insane

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Much like cops are the gun fuckingest types around, they're never going to enforce any laws that could infringe on their freedoms

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I remember a time when there was a lot of publicity about not using your phone while driving, and a lot of talk about police enforcement of that. But somewhere in the last decade that's gone completely silent and it's clear that nobody gives a poo poo about it anymore, everyone's doing it and nobody's going to do anything about it. Today at one set of traffic lights two changes in a row the car at the front of the queue missed the lights change by at least 5 seconds, almost certainly because they were playing with their phone and not paying attention. It's insane how many people I see weaving all over the road or randomly slowing down/speeding up because they're trying to reply to a message or something, absolute psycopaths.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Blackhawk posted:

I remember a time when there was a lot of publicity about not using your phone while driving, and a lot of talk about police enforcement of that. But somewhere in the last decade that's gone completely silent and it's clear that nobody gives a poo poo about it anymore, everyone's doing it and nobody's going to do anything about it. Today at one set of traffic lights two changes in a row the car at the front of the queue missed the lights change by at least 5 seconds, almost certainly because they were playing with their phone and not paying attention. It's insane how many people I see weaving all over the road or randomly slowing down/speeding up because they're trying to reply to a message or something, absolute psycopaths.

Part of this is because of the idea that we have to answer every text message instantly. Our work and friends demand that we are on call 24/7, and people don't know how to just turn the phone off.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no one calls me :(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

At least if they're doing it at a light they're stopped.

Personally I get honked at because the light changed the exact instance I went to look at my fingernails or something.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...sh=1838e64f6398

the article: Lifetime Cost Of Small Car $689,000; Society Subsidizes This Ownership With $275,000 posted:

Cars can be convenient, but they are also incredibly costly, both to owners and society in general. New academic research has calculated that the lifetime cost of a small car—such as an Opel Corsa—is about $689,000, of which society pays $275,000. (A Mercedes GLC costs $1+m over an owner's lifetime.)

The research focused on Germany, but lead author Stefan Gössling told me the guiding principles work for other countries, too. Writing in Ecological Economics, Gössling stated that “the car is one of the most expensive household consumer goods, yet there is a limited understanding of its private and social cost per vehicle-km, year, or lifetime of driving.”

Motorists, he added, underestimate the total private costs of car ownership, “while policymakers and planners underestimate social costs.”

(...)

Gössling based his cost calculations on an individual driving 15,000 kilometers per year over 50 years. Previous studies using different parameters have reached similar conclusions. In his 2007 book, Deep Economy, environmental author and activist Bill McKibben concluded: “Households can save as much as $750,000 over a lifetime if the bus system works well enough to enable people not to buy a second car.”

i hate cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I love paying $25 a month for a transit pass and that’s it for my transportation costs.

I mean a lot of people could retire early if they simply could get rid of their drat car and had options. Even if you have a old junker, there are still plenty of costs attached to it and people usually spend at least 5-10k a year on their cars even with purchasing/factoring out.

(Also, there is a huge number of medical costs attached to cars that usually don’t get factored in.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Feb 15, 2022