Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

explosivo posted:

Has an MMO ever had a difficulty slider apart from the Hard/heroic dungeons (which this does have)?

Yeah: picking Mesmer as your first class to level in 2012 Guild Wars 2 :negative: (which is to say no, not to my knowledge)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

explosivo posted:

Has an MMO ever had a difficulty slider apart from the Hard/heroic dungeons (which this does have)?

Yep, DDO/Lotro do. Surely there are other examples too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want to play 3 classes: sorceress, wardancer, and sharpshooter (bow boi). I am not eager to do the 1-50 three times— how many battle pass boosts do I get if I leveled two of them to 50 and did all the story?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

explosivo posted:

Here's the thing: some people like different things

Yeah, MMO’s with a hard leveling experience will burn out more people than it will keep playing.

The biggest sin of Lost Ark’s leveling experience is that there is too much pre-30 content. There are some interesting dungeons and fights in the 30s, you get the ship at 40 and start going to more interesting places. If half the pre-Lunterra content was removed, the game would flow better.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

I want to play 3 classes: sorceress, wardancer, and sharpshooter (bow boi). I am not eager to do the 1-50 three times— how many battle pass boosts do I get if I leveled two of them to 50 and did all the story?

When you complete the Vern area (level 50) with your first character you get a boost. When you use the boost you get another one. So after finishing Vern you can easily have three level 50s.

And then there's a few other ways of boosting but I don't know enough about them to say fully yet. One requires 600 gold I think.

also a hard mode Lost Ark 1-50 would be loving miserable lol

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

explosivo posted:

Age of Conan tried something like this that was as big a clusterfuck as the rest of the game. You could make every zone normal or elite. But the elite versions were broken in many ways. Outside of some bosses with bugged loot tables, none of the elite versions were worth doing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Charles 1998 posted:

I'm not sure how a game being harder and being more likely to die is a waste of your time. It would be simply part of the gameplay. As someone who now has a 40+ hour job, I feel this game being in easy mode for dozens of hours before throwing real challenge at you and getting to the good parts is a huge waste of time.

When I played Dark Souls 3 for the first, and spend 1-3 hours of gametime from when I first spawned to when I beat the first boss, that didn't feel like an invaluable use of my time. (a skilled player would take 15 minutes) It felt like I made far more progress than reaching level 25 in Lost Ark.

I think part of it just comes down to what people think of when you say "this game but harder" and people just worried about it being a more tedious version of what they're already playing rather than something that might be more engaging.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

jokes posted:

You have to hand raise a character to cap and do the story to get 2 passes. So technically just from taking one through the grind you'll be able to play all 3 at cap. You can also use memory transfer to get another character to cap so you can have 4 characters at cap for the price of 1.

BUT the power passes aren't really recommended by people that actually have played the game extensively for people starting out. You miss out on a lot of mats and unless you have a plan on how to get them fully online for alt grinding then you could be left with a suboptimal experience.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

explosivo posted:

Auto Assault allowed parties to enter the open area zones on a harder difficulty.

Lawlicaust posted:

Yeah, MMO’s with a hard leveling experience will burn out more people than it will keep playing.

This wouldn't be an issue if the game wasn't completely railroaded. In WoW you could just kill lower level creatures or replay the same dungeons to level, which was kind of a like a difficulty selection. In this game, you cannot go off the beaten path and the only way to level is through questing. And I assume if you don't complete the storyline you are locked out of most of the game, so you are forced to play it anyway. Feels really strange that an MMORPG is more linear than most singleplayer RPGs.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

I just plain love the combat so if endgame is in any way primarily combat-oriented I’m into it

There's still a lot of questing in the form of island hopping but it feels better than normal questing imo since you can auto path your ship to where you need to go. You do get access to and will spend a lot of time spamming combat oriented stuff in the main cities though.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone looking for drops, looks like this twitch drop miner is working now, however you do need to download source as executable isn't updated yet.

https://github.com/DevilXD/TwitchDropsMiner

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I think game developers could stand to be a little more creative with difficulty modes than they are now. In the vast, vast majority of games, the difficulty slider doesn't do much more than number tweaks: you take more damage, enemies take less, there are fewer healing kits, less ammo, enemies are more accurate, all the usual poo poo we've seen for decades.

I think there could be a good amount of mileage having the difficulty curve work in reverse, where the full game experience is considered the top difficulty, and players are intended to move up through them organically. I'll use Lost Ark as an example even though I don't really understand the game.

Max "difficulty" is what it is now. You can pick dungeon and raid difficulty, all systems are in place, etc. One level down is the same game but say the very top end of the game is inaccessible, item levels are capped a bit lower, some kind of system is inaccessible, like engravings or whatnot. Then you just stair step down and make maybe 3 or 4 "difficulty" tiers which in the end aren't actually how hard the game is to play moment to moment, but how much work goes into learning it.

So at lowest difficulty level say the game lets you get to level 30 and a certain item level, and very few of the systems are shown to the player. A casual player can absolutely get to that level, and feel like they've mastered what the game has to offer. Once you're in that comfort groove, you can opt to bump the level up a notch. OK, here are these new *insert system here* you need to start paying attention to, now you can go to level 50, and the player feels like they have the mental real estate to take on more aspects of the game since they've mastered everything up to then.

The way it is now, and countless topics and videos are out on this topic, there are tons of systems with players being told "you don't have to worry about this until, try not to use this until, this will be important later" etc. and that's frankly overwhelming.

Instead, use difficulty as a way to gradually introduce new players to the deep systems without overwhelming them. Veterans just keep the slider all the way up and the whole game is right there for them.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've been playing this off and on over the weekend - got to level 28 and the end of what I'm assuming is the first story arc. I dunno really, cause I've been skipping most of the dialogue aside from when the required dungeon cutscenes sit at 3/4 skipped cause one dude really wants to watch the dude we just beat down to 0 HP knock us all down so that an NPC can finish the job in a cutscene.

Can say it's okay overall, so far. I've been playing with a controller which feels nice except the auto targeting on some skills spins me around and targets something I don't want to hit, which only really matters for AoE skills and I don't think I'm gonna get sweaty enough in the game to care about how efficient my trash clearing is. It feels mostly meat and potatoes, I guess. Nothing offensively bad but I feel like if I wasn't using a build guide for leveling I'd be sort of meandering.

My only major complaint is for how hyped up this game is the translation seems just as sloppy as any bottom of the barrel f2p MMO I'd pick up when I was in high school. Text overflowing out of the gathering timer, subtitles not matching up with the spoken dialogue, just an overall lack of polish it feels like. Not like it's a big problem, but it just feels weirdly amateurish for a game that's got such a big marketing force behind it.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Just got to the Evil Cave, I wonder what this is all about.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I did a character re-customization, buying the ticket to do so from inside char creation after using the button they have for it on char select. It didn't take. I googled it and saw other people had the same issue and customer service was having people verify their installation files and print their dxdiag... when those didn't work they told them to email customer support.

I tried doing it again and it still had my ticket unused, and it worked the second time. Just a heads up in case anyone else rushed through char creation and wants to change it now.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
has anyone who purchased a founders pack (or multiple) received the bonus items that were announced?

quote:

"Players have let us know one of the reasons they are reluctant to switch to lower population servers is because many of them have already redeemed their Founder’s Packs on another server. To help combat this and make exploring new servers a more reasonable choice, we will be granting ALL Founder’s Pack purchasers that redeem their pack by 12 PM PT (8 PM UTC) on Monday, February 14th an extra set of the exclusive items from the Founder’s Pack they redeemed (e.g., the Founder’s Exclusive Pet and Founder’s Title from the Bronze pack; see full list below) as well as some additional Royal Crystals for Silver, Gold, and Platinum Pack purchasers."

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pragmatica posted:

has anyone who purchased a founders pack (or multiple) received the bonus items that were announced?

Nope!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

bagrada posted:

I did a character re-customization, buying the ticket to do so from inside char creation after using the button they have for it on char select. It didn't take. I googled it and saw other people had the same issue and customer service was having people verify their installation files and print their dxdiag... when those didn't work they told them to email customer support.

I tried doing it again and it still had my ticket unused, and it worked the second time. Just a heads up in case anyone else rushed through char creation and wants to change it now.

Bummer, how much was it? $ or in game currency?

Pragmatica posted:

Oh lmao you have to redeem it in the next 3.5 hours to get the extra??

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Bummer, how much was it? $ or in game currency?

600 royal crystals (I think that's the non-blue ones). So around $6 USD.

To be clear when it didn't work the first time I went back in and still had the ticket I bought so I didn't spend any extra. The first time you go in it says you have 0/1 customization tickets and will have the option to pay for it inside. The second time it said I had 1/1. You can go in, mess around, then back out without paying as well.

You can also go in on your current character, save their customization to one of the slots for that, then back out, then you can load the customization on a new character elsewhere.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 14, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Vitamean posted:

I've been playing this off and on over the weekend - got to level 28 and the end of what I'm assuming is the first story arc. I dunno really, cause I've been skipping most of the dialogue aside from when the required dungeon cutscenes sit at 3/4 skipped cause one dude really wants to watch the dude we just beat down to 0 HP knock us all down so that an NPC can finish the job in a cutscene.

Can say it's okay overall, so far. I've been playing with a controller which feels nice except the auto targeting on some skills spins me around and targets something I don't want to hit, which only really matters for AoE skills and I don't think I'm gonna get sweaty enough in the game to care about how efficient my trash clearing is. It feels mostly meat and potatoes, I guess. Nothing offensively bad but I feel like if I wasn't using a build guide for leveling I'd be sort of meandering.

My only major complaint is for how hyped up this game is the translation seems just as sloppy as any bottom of the barrel f2p MMO I'd pick up when I was in high school. Text overflowing out of the gathering timer, subtitles not matching up with the spoken dialogue, just an overall lack of polish it feels like. Not like it's a big problem, but it just feels weirdly amateurish for a game that's got such a big marketing force behind it.

There is an option to turn off the auto target so that you always cast/shoot where you are aiming.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I guess their hands are really tied when it comes to doing obvious things like just letting people redeem a founders pack on the new server? It doesn't seem like someone having a founders pack across two completely separate regions is a big concern, it's not as if they were going to buy two in the first place.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
you people like the combat

I like checking boxes on the adventurer's tome and getting that sweet, sweet dopamine from it

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Dragongem posted:

I like checking boxes on the adventurer's tome and getting that sweet, sweet dopamine from it

I press N, I feel good.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

BUT the power passes aren't really recommended by people that actually have played the game extensively for people starting out. You miss out on a lot of mats and unless you have a plan on how to get them fully online for alt grinding then you could be left with a suboptimal experience.

Unless grinding out those mats takes more than 20 hours, I'm gonna use the pass. Leveling has its moments but I definitely wouldn't want to go through the story twice. I don't think my g key could take it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What do you do at endgame? I assume it’s almost entirely dungeons and raids and a handful of dailies/weeklies?

Do dungeons and raids scale at all, a la Diablo rifts?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Unhappy Meal posted:

The Twitch drop paper mask has increased my enjoyment of the game ten fold.

SERIOUS CUTSCENE

Me in my silly dog hat. 10/10 game.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

jokes posted:

What do you do at endgame? I assume it’s almost entirely dungeons and raids and a handful of dailies/weeklies?

Do dungeons and raids scale at all, a la Diablo rifts?

Depends where you break off ‘endgame’ but the actual most efficient answer is doing a bunch of island quests through t1

Plus all your daily stuff of course

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

DurosKlav posted:

SERIOUS CUTSCENE

Oh is that the fight where the arena starts tilting and trying to toss you into the grinders? That’s a good one

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I think I'm gonna hold one pass just for a new class a month down the line or whatever they plan to do but it's not a huge deal either way

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DurosKlav posted:

SERIOUS CUTSCENE

:eyepop: wowza

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

That cutscene and then the one after the dungeon with the elf queen talking to you on the balcony both made me crack up since I’m wearing the same hat. Totally serious dialogue and then it cuts to the brave hero wearing the doofiest paper hat and it’s hilarious.

Good Citizen posted:

Oh is that the fight where the arena starts tilting and trying to toss you into the grinders? That’s a good one
Yeah the karazhan ripoff. It was a cool and fun dungeon though I’m not knocking it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Thought I'd be clever and start queueing 30 mins before I finished work. Nope.

Hate how it kicks you out of the game every time to so have to sit through the splash screen. Just give me a retry button please.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Harrow posted:

When Guild Wars 2 was in early development, ArenaNet considered not having "leveling" at all--just no concept of "level" in the game whatsoever. Looking at GW2 as it is now, it's easy to see how that could've worked. You'd explore the world to get skill points to unlock your skills and traits, but you wouldn't have to worry about filling your EXP bar to hit arbitrary milestones that make your numbers go up. And given how GW2 now throws full level-up books and level boosts at you these days, honestly I think they should've stuck with that idea.

It's hard for me not to look at Lost Ark with a similar lens. The leveling experience doesn't seem to accomplish anything. This isn't a game that's about exploring a detailed and complex open world, so leveling isn't introducing you to a world you're going to spend a bunch of time in later. The combat isn't complex enough while leveling to really teach the player anything they'll need to know later beyond "press button to do damage." And if the story is supposed to have the same level of importance as FFXIV, well, it needs a lot of work. (And even then, I have many posts on these forums about how FFXIV, to this day, puts its worst foot forward with ARR's exceedingly boring combat and very slow story, and Lost Ark is not even close to having that level of barrier of entry, no matter how much I gripe about the leveling being boring.)

I can imagine a version of this game that just starts you at level 50, or ditches the "Level" number entirely, and where you start with a decent setup for your class and do dungeons to get skill points to unlock and level your other skills. Just dive right into the good part. Put your best foot forward. If you absolutely must have a leveling system, copy Diablo 3's "adventure mode." Yes, this isn't an ARPG in the same vein, but nothing I've seen about the game in the hours I've spent with it suggests that "do randomized dungeons full of big groups of enemies and bosses that throw leveling loot at you" wouldn't be a much more engaging leveling experience anyway.

I disagree, probably for the same reason that Anet went with having levels in the first place: people understand experience and levels intuitively. Having levels in your game makes it very obvious what the initial route of progression is, and wow has trained everyone that quests = experience. Taking that initial line away makes it harder to onboard people to the other stuff without making the game inherently less tedious because now you're just doing the main quest line to get skill point potions instead, which isn't as easy to convey. I do think it's a good argument for not having to make your levels go all the way to 50-60+, and that having slower leveling with a cap at like 20-30 accomplishes the same thing, but levels are also fairly arbitrary so that's not a huge deal.

This game actually is about exploring a huge and detailed world, that's why mokoko seeds, rapport, and islands exist. If you wanna just rush to the end, monster hunter has better fights than the guardian raids (so far), chaos dungeons are just a classic ARPG thing that other games can also do, and you can get a better dating sim on steam for 5 bucks. Those things don't exist in a vacuum because the devs just want to waste your time. They didn't spend a shitload of time making the sailing mechanic because it pads out your hours played and increases MAUs or whatever. They did it because they want you to go sail around and explore stuff, and even if you're following a guide you're going to be spending a lot of time in it later. That's why Una's tasks are structured the way they are. It'd be a supreme waste to pretend the rest of the game doesn't exist because abrelshud is really hard and you wanna fight her and do nothing else. She's there to be a capstone (for now) on all of the other poo poo in the game, not to be the entire game.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I put some of my founders pack crystals on the auction house to try and get some gold but so far no one is going for it. I assume lots of people have crystals but nobody has a ton of gold yet.

On the other hand, I realized that chaos shards are listable and I’ve been selling them for 1g a piece. Idk if I should feel bad about that but :shrug:

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Dragongem posted:

I get the good brain chemicals from upgrading my gear personally.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i was going to buy one of those wizzzard hats for my sorc from the AH but my ears clip through it, 0/10

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I disagree, probably for the same reason that Anet went with having levels in the first place: people understand experience and levels intuitively. Having levels in your game makes it very obvious what the initial route of progression is, and wow has trained everyone that quests = experience. Taking that initial line away makes it harder to onboard people to the other stuff without making the game inherently less tedious because now you're just doing the main quest line to get skill point potions instead, which isn't as easy to convey. I do think it's a good argument for not having to make your levels go all the way to 50-60+, and that having slower leveling with a cap at like 20-30 accomplishes the same thing, but levels are also fairly arbitrary so that's not a huge deal.

This game actually is about exploring a huge and detailed world, that's why mokoko seeds, rapport, and islands exist. If you wanna just rush to the end, monster hunter has better fights than the guardian raids (so far), chaos dungeons are just a classic ARPG thing that other games can also do, and you can get a better dating sim on steam for 5 bucks. Those things don't exist in a vacuum because the devs just want to waste your time. They didn't spend a shitload of time making the sailing mechanic because it pads out your hours played and increases MAUs or whatever. They did it because they want you to go sail around and explore stuff, and even if you're following a guide you're going to be spending a lot of time in it later. That's why Una's tasks are structured the way they are. It'd be a supreme waste to pretend the rest of the game doesn't exist because abrelshud is really hard and you wanna fight her and do nothing else. She's there to be a capstone (for now) on all of the other poo poo in the game, not to be the entire game.

Yeah, that's fair. To be clear I wasn't arguing for removing everything that makes this an MMO and not just an ARPG--for example, sailing around in a ship to islands is pretty cool and an interesting feature that the game has--but more not really seeing the purpose of the linear story leveling experience that's honestly kind of a drag. But maybe it's necessary to provide a smooth introduction to the other MMORPG features and there isn't really a better way to do that? I dunno, I'm not a game designer. I suppose this is why game designers say that the useful player feedback is "I like this thing/don't like this thing because it makes me feel <X>" rather than trying to get into the actual design behind it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The leveling experience just needs to be more interesting. I can't imagine anyone going through it and being like "this is good." It needs a lot more of those set pieces and less running around talking to people. [edit: also some content to do with your friends while leveling would be nice. I don't know if any of you are trying to level co-op, but it's super painful.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 14, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing a bit over the weekend and made it to level ... 25 or so, just got in a forest area where I fought the third world boss. I'm going in as the gunlancer and it feels ... a bit slow? I have some good burst damage, but my none-burst skills seem to hit pretty low and I find myself waiting for cooldowns every now and then. When I get to use the big skills it feels good, though. Maybe the pace will pick up when I get the rest of my skills? (slow also applies to how I'm constantly running behind everyone else)

The fetch quests are terrible and uninspired. In some cases the NPC asks me to talk to another NPC who stands 2 meters to his side, or carry one rock from a circle to another. Why is this still a thing in modern MMO's?

I wish there would be more mid-level armor options too. I've mostly been wearing the same thing with different colors. Are all the cool flashy armors endgame only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I have a couple friends getting into this and co-op so far has been me tagging along with my lower level friends doing mostly nothing while suggesting maybe we don't need to search for every seed in every map right now.