Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Millions upon millions of people got absolutely screwed because they couldn't do their job remotely and there was no way they could stay at home and not starve, and there was no government safety net for them. Even here in Australia where there was a social safety net for people whose job was affected by the lockdowns it was gatekept to certain industries, anyone who usually worked in the performing arts was simply hosed.

Related:
https://twitter.com/LilTreProd/status/1246592875544051717

DickParasite posted:

Forcing the WFH people back to the office doesn't protect anyone, it just introduces more infection vectors and puts everyone at a higher risk. Of course lots of work places will still force their employees to work on site, because bosses are often dumb as gently caress.

There's also been a ton of lovely opinion articles arguing that WFH needs to end, most of them citing essential "work culture" or similar bullshit

Hey did you know that sitting in traffic for 2 hours during your daily commute was actually cool and good? I bet you miss it!! Well, if you were honest you'd admit that you secretly loved it and that it gave you positive psychological benefits
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/07/admit-it-you-miss-your-commute/619007/
:jerkbag:

E: there's also lots of stories from service staff that if they wear masks on the job they don't make enough in tips to survive: https://www.npr.org/transcripts/943559848

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Reading a few pages of this thread made me feel really depressed and hopeless. Regardless of whether or not you feel that's a justified reaction or not, if you're feeling depressed or hopeless over COVID, try unplugging from the info for a little while and look at some cute cat videos, get some fresh air, whatever. Stop reading for a while. Take this post as an invitation to analyze your mental state and if reading about this is making you feel worse.

I think it's important to understand that for people who are already educated, most of the news is not going to make a material difference for you. You can go a few days without keeping up with it. Reading about COVID is a way to feel like you're regaining control over the situation by learning as much as you can, or at least it is for me - but it can also make you feel powerless, too, and you don't really actually gain any control by reading about the newest demoralizing poo poo out of the UK or whatever. It can also be really demoralizing and fatiguing and really stress you out, especially doing it frequently over a long period of time.

You can always backread to see what you missed, anyway. Keep taking precautions but remember to give yourself mental breaks from the constant feed of bad news.

Take care of yourself, everyone.

Check out this picture of a little baby crab.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Oh no! Tell me she didn't eat the crab!

naem
May 29, 2011

buffbus posted:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a paper on how even mild cases of covid can play havoc with your cardiovascular system

That's not a paper, it's a news article. Is there a related paper? Would like to read it.

Ed: NM there it is at the footnote

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Looks like California is breaking all their data down into unvaccinated, vaccinated, and boosted: https://covid19.ca.gov/state-dashboard/

I hope more places do the same.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Tagra posted:

Looks like California is breaking all their data down into unvaccinated, vaccinated, and boosted: https://covid19.ca.gov/state-dashboard/

I hope more places do the same.

None of these graphs should be shocking to me, I'm fully aware of the difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated responses. But holy crap, how can someone see this and think "Eh, I'll take my chances being unvaccinated."

My Dad is in his mid 60s and has COPD and, up until he got vaccinated, we were all convinced covid would be the end of him at some point. Last month he caught covid (we think it was at a doctor's appointment or the grocery store, since that's really the only stuff he did that month) and made it through with just some sneezing, tiredness, and dry coughing. My mom also caught it and just struggled with fatigue for a day or two.

Absolutely wild to have gone from "covid will probably kill my parents" to "my parents made it through covid and feel great" in just one year thanks to the vaccine and booster.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

This kills the crab

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The problem with COVID when it comes to risk management is that the most likely outcome has always been that you’ll be end up being okay after one infection, even if you are high risk and unvaccinated. It’s just that it the odds are comparatively bad and it’s very high-risk infection to be so common. People who get it and come out okay often end up thinking their efforts to avoid infection were wasted when in reality they were simply some of the many lucky ones, and they or the people they infect may not be so lucky next time. It’s a feedback loop into fallacious thinking that’s a fundamental problem with public health (and risk management it general).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 14, 2022

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

A Fancy Hat posted:

Absolutely wild to have gone from "covid will probably kill my parents" to "my parents made it through covid and feel great" in just one year thanks to the vaccine and booster.
Glad your parents are ok. The same thing happened to me when my folks both caught Omicron during the holiday surge. Mom had a mild cold and dad had zero symptoms. I am hoping this bodes well for me if I ever get it. (Unfortunately though, mild symptoms = mild subsequent immunity, so you can’t win ‘em all here…)

Stickman posted:

The problem with COVID when it comes to risk management is that the most likely outcome has always been that you’ll be end up being okay after one infection, even if you are high risk and unvaccinated. It’s just that it the odds are comparatively bad and it’s very high-risk infection to be so common. People who get it and come out okay often end up thinking their efforts to avoid infection were wasted when in reality they were simply some of the many lucky ones, and they or the people they infect may not be so lucky next time. It’s a feedback loop into fallacious thinking that’s a fundamental problem with public health (and risk management it general).
This and, the conversation has generally focused on death risk when the risk of some form of long covid is nontrivial. It’s true that most people who get covid won’t die, even old people. But will you be the same after your infection? How about after repeated infections?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

buffbus posted:

It’s a cleaner crab, it’s just checking her teeth for food particles and parasites.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Zugzwang posted:

(Unfortunately though, mild symptoms = mild subsequent immunity, so you can’t win ‘em all here…)
i've not see anyone reputable say this

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

toiletbrush posted:

oh you hosed up now. you just ate a preprint reading and analysis homework assignment.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Beachcomber posted:

An amount of googling later, and I figure I either had so much :gas: that it was compressing my lungs, or I was sleeping flat so acid from my stomach came up and then went down into my lungs.

The human body is amazing.

Wait, you had the toots so bad it was affecting your breathing? :psyduck:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

toiletbrush posted:

Here's a tiktok by a phd immunologist to explain it, or read the pre-print.

It's funny how people in this thread take simple and reassuring garbage at face value, but anything they don't want to hear?

"I won't read a pre-print"

Or

"I'll only read that pre-print when it's peer reviewed, sometime next year"

Or

"I won't watch some lovely tiktok"
(Even tho its created precisely for people wo won't read a pre-print)

Or

"I won't read a twitter summary from a well regarded, published scientist because it's in a tweet"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Blitter posted:

It's funny how people in this thread take simple and reassuring garbage at face value, but anything they don't want to hear?

Or

Or

Or

"I won't read a twitter summary from a well regarded, published scientist because it's in a tweet"

Pre-prints aren't really reputable because, you know, they haven't been peer-reviewed. Which is the thing that confers reputability. You can write a pre-print that says long covid makes dicks and balls bigger and it would be as valid as any other pre-print until peer reviewed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blitter posted:

Or

Or

Or

holy gently caress your post history

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

HonorableTB posted:

Pre-prints aren't really reputable because, you know, they haven't been peer-reviewed. Which is the thing that confers reputability. You can write a pre-print that says long covid makes dicks and balls bigger and it would be as valid as any other pre-print until peer reviewed.
One of the PIs on that is Jennifer Doudna, lol

And it takes months for publications to be accepted. I personally wouldn’t wait that long before deciding that I might still need to be cautious if I had mild or asymptomatic Omicron.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I haven't done any martial arts for the past two years, so last week I sent an email to the local Karate club to see if they're open, and if there are any safeguards (vaxx check) in place. Today I received the reply, they told me that "we decided to close for two weeks because of too many cases, but we'll open again this thursday so you're free to come :)" lmao

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Stickman posted:

My colleague just lost his fully vaccinated father. So, yeah :(

(I don't know what kinds of comorbidities his father had)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Most of it is that same tiktok, too.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Most of it is that same tiktok, too.

No, but whatever. You made it clear you weren't going to read the pre-print or watch the tiktok after I tried to correct your assumption about omicron providing a useful boost to immunity from a mild case.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Hilarious, I look at your posts in this thread and think the same!

I have re-posted this same pre-print and tiktok 3 times, because people/media/goons keep on saying that omicron is a natural booster, and that is not well supported unless you've had a severe case of omicron.

If someone decides they don't need a booster or are largely immune on the basis that they've had a mild omicron infection, they are unwittingly taking risks that could be avoided.

That is all. Feel free to enjoy your natural immunity/baseless assumptions!

Blitter fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 14, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Can't imagine why the mods closed this thread.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Maybe they could try probating bad posts instead of punishing the entire thread for something we can't control.

Zugzwang posted:

One of the PIs on that is Jennifer Doudna, lol

And it takes months for publications to be accepted. I personally wouldn’t wait that long before deciding that I might still need to be cautious if I had mild or asymptomatic Omicron.

If I don't hear about it on TWIV I can't give pre-prints much faith (interesting as they may be) as I simply don't have the experience and tools needed to distinguish reliable data from massaged data or flawed conclusions.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blitter posted:

Or

I don't think it's "won't read", more "preprints should be taken with a grain of salt" especially when they challenge established models. Uploading a summary video to tiktok doesn't change that.

Preprints are not automatically invalid obviously but they're also not authoritative.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Stickman posted:

This is a good point, people are used to think of pandemics in the sense of the Black Death, AIDS, or OG SARS and MERS, with double-digit fatality rates. The popular perception of more recent widespread pandemics like polio and the 1918 flu has been mentally filed away in that category too (I was mildly surprised when someone ITT pointed out polio was asymptomatic or extremely mild in >98% of cases, with full paralysis being exceedingly rare, despite my mum recovering from it with a few weeks in bed at home when she was a kid).

However I disagree with the second half, I think the problem is actually that because so many people *do* survive that it only fuels the perception that it's no big thing or even overhyped. Even with the millions of deaths, most people will not have lost a close friend or family member, but everyone knows at least a few people who've got it and come out fine. I think - along with just the general desire to pretend everything's back to "normal" - that this is what's fueling so much of the current wave of resistance to NPIs.

I've made the comparison before but *right now* in the UK covid is killing and hospitalising less people than a bad flu year, and most people - even extremely vulnerable people - just don't perceive that as a threat (e.g. my parents, both clinically extremely vulnerable due to COPD and other health issues, who I'd have had to use a crowbar to get them to give up their Freedom Passes and zipping around London all day every day all through winter on public transport). Part of that is just because they don't see the evidence in front of them, because statistically it's unlikely they'll know someone who's been killed or hospitalised by it, and part of this is just straight-up denial - but of course that's what public health measures are *supposed* to be about (from mask mandates to seat belts to banning asbestos), to correct people's faulty risk perception.

On the other side of course is that society does just price in an absolute shitload of death and disability to keep things going smoothly. We could end the majority of road deaths by mandating mechanical speed limiters on all road vehicles, set to 20mph, and that would be *annoying* but wouldn't actually cost anything but time, but there's no way that will happen in our current society.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

HonorableTB posted:

uh why did you think they called it "long covid"

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mozi posted:

If I don't hear about it on TWIV I can't give pre-prints much faith (interesting as they may be) as I simply don't have the experience and tools needed to distinguish reliable data from massaged data or flawed conclusions.
I think this is a fine approach. As QuarkJets suggested, preprints are not authoritative but should not be ignored either. When the study comes from the lab of a well-known scientist, I am likely to give it more weight than I otherwise would.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

No, but whatever. You made it clear you weren't going to read the pre-print or watch the tiktok after I tried to correct your assumption about omicron providing a useful boost to immunity from a mild case.

Nobody said Omicron is a natural booster, you nincompoop. The vaccination status of that plumber didn't even come into question, and if you thought it was a matter of his vaccination status, read it again. The controversy was that he was neglecting to mask up "because he already had it".

But show me one example of a person who caught Omicron twice. (It's only been around for three months or so, so it's highly unlikely.) Or better yet, show me the study that tells us the short-term immunity we saw in each previous wave does no longer exist in this wave.

NO, that loving study you linked DOES NOT SAY SO, but you keep posting like it does. I read the preprint, thank you very much. I was salty about you posting a meaningless tiktok of someone in scrubs reading out loud from it. Like that was somehow more credible than your own post on a pseudonymous web forum.

I don't lack time or attention span for reading papers, but I abhor your attitude of "just trust this nameless person in an embedded video that you can't source check".

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 14, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blitter posted:

Hilarious, I look at your posts in this thread and think the same!

I have re-posted this same pre-print and tiktok 3 times, because people/media/goons keep on saying that omicron is a natural booster, and that is not well supported unless you've had a severe case of omicron.

If someone decides they don't need a booster or are largely immune on the basis that they've had a mild omicron infection, they are unwittingly taking risks that could be avoided.

That is all. Feel free to enjoy your natural immunity/baseless assumptions!

No, I mean your full post history not just this thread's. Do you have literally anything else going on besides posting about covid and getting mad at goons about covid?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 14, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I apologize, that was irrelevant to the discussion. I just saw 2 years of literal nonstop posting in all the forum's covid threads and absolutely nothing else and my brain started slipping gears

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Tiny Timbs posted:

I apologize, that was irrelevant to the discussion. I just saw 2 years of literal nonstop posting in all the forum's covid threads and absolutely nothing else and my brain started slipping gears

I'm on mobile and it takes forever to probe on so I missed this but I appreciate the apology nonetheless op

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
lol look at Ard's post history. He actually PROBES people ALL THE TIME. wtf is this dude up to?! is it his loving job? lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I got boosted a week ago and couldn't see a mark where it went in and my other arm hurt like a bitch for days, anyone got any good conspiracy theories to explain this???

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I got boosted a week ago and couldn't see a mark where it went in and my other arm hurt like a bitch for days, anyone got any good conspiracy theories to explain this???

The gene therapy reversed your nervous system and now you’re feeling everything on the opposite side of your body to where the stimulus is occurring.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Too much time painting your pickle?

e: Oh, good conspiracy theories--nvm

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Ugh, I’m finally back in a rhythm at the gym again and our local mask mandate is set to expire at the end of the month…

Not that ppl were great about wearing it them, but it was at least a majority most days? I already have anxiety thinking about it. I honestly don’t think I can do it in an N95. I’ve been wearing two masks right now but I guess a KN95 would be better in an unmasked situation?

I had major health anxiety before this pandemic and sometimes I wonder if reading this thread is better or worse for me lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

AARD VARKMAN posted:

They used a *really* long needle.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Obviously you're the mirror version of the true AARD VARKMAN (the one who actually got the shot). Do you have a mustache? Or perhaps, NO mustache? Evil mirror twins tend to have mustaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

liz posted:

Ugh, I’m finally back in a rhythm at the gym again and our local mask mandate is set to expire at the end of the month…

Not that ppl were great about wearing it them, but it was at least a majority most days? I already have anxiety thinking about it. I honestly don’t think I can do it in an N95. I’ve been wearing two masks right now but I guess a KN95 would be better in an unmasked situation?

I had major health anxiety before this pandemic and sometimes I wonder if reading this thread is better or worse for me lol
Elastomeric half-mask respirators like 3M SecureClicks are much easier to breathe in than N95s, and they offer the best possible protection (aside from going full spacesuit).