Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Other than the gypsy camp is there anywhere in Lavastorm a non-caster can be bound ? I could have sworn that in DoN you could be bound at the dragon head but it didn't seem to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
I swear "Lavastorm" and "Skyfire" are all time top tier volcano area names in any game for me.

I keep my sub for this game active because every so often I just want to level 1-85 or so, but then I kinda lose interest when I run into the complexity after that point, especially trying to figure out how to simply GET to some of the "newer" areas. I just love moloing through all the old places from when I was a kid.

Example: right now I have a druid that just hit 40 on FV, and I'm just tooling around in my second favorite zone ever (City of Mist) feeling like an absolute baller all decked out in gear that was frankly unthinkable back in the day. Like, capped stats at 40? Weapon better than an epic? Madness....

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Baconroll posted:

Other than the gypsy camp is there anywhere in Lavastorm a non-caster can be bound ? I could have sworn that in DoN you could be bound at the dragon head but it didn't seem to work.

Casters can. Melee I believe it’s gypsies or sol to temple.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

koreban posted:

Once you have rep for t5, you shove one in a bank slot for a few months until you’ll never see that content again and anytime you run one you won’t get the token popping up.

my whine is really just about the back and forth between tasks part. I play the game on a toaster so the load times add up. On the whole the grind doesn't seem too bad once you figure out which tasks are traps designed to waste your time. Like a lava spinner lair one that required 45 kills plus collecting items.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How the gently caress is a pinecone 10k plat.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Solarin posted:

my whine is really just about the back and forth between tasks part. I play the game on a toaster so the load times add up. On the whole the grind doesn't seem too bad once you figure out which tasks are traps designed to waste your time. Like a lava spinner lair one that required 45 kills plus collecting items.

If you’re doing good side, you can group up to run Gimblax as soon as you have t1 completed. Monk, rogue, or SK (probably enchanter and necro too) can rush to the end and solo him, and click out in under 4 minutes. You just need the one character to be at the instance and run back, meaning you can keep your crew at the turn in character and chain turn ins every 30 or 40 minutes, whatever the cooldown is.

If you run Grounding The Drakes in between Gimblax runs, you can double the progress, though you’ll have to do some running around, admittedly.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

I haven’t played since luclin mangler but I’m feeling the itch. No replay timers is very cool to me. If they announced new servers id probably end up rolling a monk shaman bard team again.

I think I played with you for a bit on Mangler. I've been keeping my eye on TLP recruiting but haven't seen a late PST (8-9pm PST ) start time for a long time. Hopefully there is a guild doing that for the next servers, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How the gently caress is a pinecone 10k plat.

For SoD oceangreen progression? because it's foraged and quite rare. pinecone and maggots are the gatekeepers of the oceangreen theme.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

diapermeat posted:

I think I played with you for a bit on Mangler. I've been keeping my eye on TLP recruiting but haven't seen a late PST (8-9pm PST ) start time for a long time. Hopefully there is a guild doing that for the next servers, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

most likely there will be at least one, I know a bunch of Midnight Rations core are discussing it, and we had a strong PST / third-shift crew.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I started using Input Director for the first time and god drat is it useful. I'm looking at HotkeyNet now and wondering does it do the same thing as ID?

The only hang up with ID so far is mouse focus occasionally getting stuck on two EQ clients and some weirdness with shift/alt/ctrl being held when changing focus.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Where ID emulates mouse input across PCs over the network, HKN does keyboard input.

So you could create a button combo on your main keyboard to cause your box wizard to use a shortcut button, or cast a spell from Alt-5, for example.

I used both extensively to box between 3 and 5 characters for years.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

most likely there will be at least one, I know a bunch of Midnight Rations core are discussing it, and we had a strong PST / third-shift crew.

That'd be awesome, I'll keep my eye out. I was in MR for about a month during kunark but then the wife ended up in the hospital with complications from our first so that ended that dream. Then was in SoE on Aradune into Mediumcore for a bit, but their raid times are 730pm pst, just a bit too early for me, was always late.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The patch today will finally update the client to 64-bit and I guess also upgrade the servers to 64-bit. The prisoners of Agnarr will also be allowed to escape to some other servers !

While I like PoP I find 6 months of it to be far too much, let alone a life-sentence of PoP !

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

diapermeat posted:

That'd be awesome, I'll keep my eye out. I was in MR for about a month during kunark but then the wife ended up in the hospital with complications from our first so that ended that dream. Then was in SoE on Aradune into Mediumcore for a bit, but their raid times are 730pm pst, just a bit too early for me, was always late.

I'm up for a return to the next TLP depending on the ruleset, Midnight Rations on Mangler was some of the most fun I've had in 22 years of EQ. Spending time camping all of the good poo poo with a 6+ box crew in classic and kunark while shooting the poo poo with onesixtwo and other goons in Discord when I was supposed to be working was great.

Looks like the 64-bit client is messing with Input Director and Multiplicity and is sending right clicks to both the the main PC as well as the destination, same with the scroll wheel, though I swear this has always been an issue with ID.

I started up a beastlord on Firiona Vie this weekend for funsies, had a krono laying around so I sold it for 5.5 million plat and had fun twinking myself. Went 1-60 in 24 hours 15 minutes /played time with my merc and I am having a fun time.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

koreban posted:

Where ID emulates mouse input across PCs over the network, HKN does keyboard input.

So you could create a button combo on your main keyboard to cause your box wizard to use a shortcut button, or cast a spell from Alt-5, for example.

I used both extensively to box between 3 and 5 characters for years.

Now that I've used ID more and seen how limited its hotkey feature is I can see how you would want both. Running 3 boxes is harder than I thought, but now that I've had a bard box for a few weeks the game is unplayable without one.

Coolnezzz posted:

Looks like the 64-bit client is messing with Input Director and Multiplicity and is sending right clicks to both the the main PC as well as the destination, same with the scroll wheel, though I swear this has always been an issue with ID.

This is definitely a long standing issue for ID. I spent a while looking for work arounds but got nothing. EQ is pretty keyboard driven so it isn't hard to deal with but still pretty annoying. The very dumb trick I use when I need to do some mouse driven stuff on a box is to Win key on the main to open the start menu. With EQ in the background the mouse won't be captured.

I tried out Mouse Without Borders and it didn't have the same problem but it also had insane high sensitivity when adjusting the EQ third person camera.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Here’s my setup:

My main PC ran my SK. I had the usual KB/M and I ran HotKeyNet with keys for all of my characters.

My 2nd box was my cleric. I ran a keypad with hotkeys that set mouse focus to the cleric’s pc and cast spells (heals, DA, BDA, etc.) I ran InputDirector server from the cleric’s box with expansion to all of my other boxes. This meant that I never had issues with mouse focus, because my main handled 80% of mouse use, and the few times I needed to click boxes into zones, I had a second mouse on my desk to handle the alts.

The cleric box was a laptop, so I didn’t need to put a second keyboard on my desk, keeping things much easier to control.

The right click being copied across boxes affected me occasionally, and I never figured out exactly which setting was responsible for it, but I didn’t care, I had a HKN button to press the reset camera hotkey on all my boxes at once.

Running your ID server from your second box is a game changer. It takes some getting used to, and if people are really interested in my setup, I’ll get real :words: about it, but I was able to do some crazy poo poo by myself while 5 boxing with that arrangement. After the initial training to memorize the hotkeys I set up and getting used to the two mice on my desk and how I used them, I was *really* efficient at moving around and controlling my boxes.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I am getting the EQ itch again, haven't played since Mangler. Looking forward to seeing what the next progression servers will look like. I think I saw that they will be coming out in May? I would definitely be interested in joining up with some goons and typically 2-box. I played a Monk / Shaman on Mangler but might mix things up a bit.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

MrSargent posted:

I am getting the EQ itch again, haven't played since Mangler. Looking forward to seeing what the next progression servers will look like. I think I saw that they will be coming out in May? I would definitely be interested in joining up with some goons and typically 2-box. I played a Monk / Shaman on Mangler but might mix things up a bit.

Still a ways out, but for what it's worth I'm tentatively planning to play on this year's TLP server with my brother. Ideally would love to find a small, chill group of regulars to enjoy the content with.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I might hop in with an enchanter for the new TLP server. It's such a weird and unique class.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s the best

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

yeah enc is insanely powerful and fun. I just can't be bothered to maintain a charm pet anymore, been there done that.. I'll get my charm CC fix on a bard box to keep some of my sanity / ability to afk

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

if you're playing an enchanter solo or maybe even duoing it's not bad to deal with a charm pet, I'm 3 boxing, albeit sub-optimally right now because my setup is hosed up and I need to re-arrange, a war/clr/enc and it's a giant pain in my rear end, shoulda made a bard instead but 3 plate classes would be rough to gear for.

I guess songblades are rotting now though...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Druid/Enchanter duo with charm pets is extremely fun in zones where the Druid can find a good pet.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Remarker posted:

Still a ways out, but for what it's worth I'm tentatively planning to play on this year's TLP server with my brother. Ideally would love to find a small, chill group of regulars to enjoy the content with.

Nice! Any thoughts on what classes you both will play? I’m curious what the rule set will be for the new progression servers. I might just try playing on Mischief a bit to pass the time.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Do people actually group anymore? I was hoping to group and play.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Do people actually group anymore? I was hoping to group and play.

You’ll find groups looking for people often, however this game is almost 25 years old and most people who play it are semi-responsible adults, which means those groups usually are good for 30-45 minutes until someone’s got a kid to feed or has to go to work or whatever.

People can and do form cliques of like-time zone people to play with and that’s the best way to do it, but it requires finding those folks and making friends with them to do it.

For the rest of us who have erratic playtimes or need to be able to ago for 15 minutes often, boxing a crew is usually our best option, which limits our ability to group with others, but we’re not beholden to anyone else to utilize our playtime efficiently.

I personally kept my box crew to 5 so I could always add one person, and generally swap out a box if someone had an overlap role, however that’s not the norm for most people.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I would argue to some degree that xp potions help groups in that regard, yes we are (mostly) all adults that have other responsibilities but people will often try to devote that 4 hour time slot to EQ so they can grind a huge chunk of XP; folks will need to afk to do this and that, but that's normal, they'll generally try to stick around for those 4 hours.

At least, that has been my experience grouping with my guild, haven't done pug groups at all.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah, you can pretty reliably find an exp group and ask the question of, are we doing an exp pot? It sets a good timeline of, I’m willing to commit four hours here who else is / how soon do we find your rep so it can run smoothly for four hours.

I’ve had plenty of groups that don’t want to, but I specifically lfg with a message that I’m willing to exp pot if I know I have the time to set aside and it works well.

Of course this is mostly only from my experience on fresh TLPs or new expansion launches, when everyone is around and wanting to grind.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So, I hit 80 with my enchanter and I need a good place to grind out a few levels. Where should I go?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Not going to reinstall to find out, but I was wondering - did the 64-bit update improve performance any, for modern-ish (say, five years old or newer) machines?

The guild lobby was always "stare at the floor" because it was so unplayable when the server was hoppin, heh.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Nice! Any thoughts on what classes you both will play? I’m curious what the rule set will be for the new progression servers. I might just try playing on Mischief a bit to pass the time.

We haven't talked classes now, but super open to ideas that would be good for both duoing and for bigger groups. He and I will def be single boxing

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Yah I really want to scratch this itch and May seems pretty far away when you have the EQ bug. But not sure if there is really anyone playing at lower levels on the Mischief server.

Remarker posted:

We haven't talked classes now, but super open to ideas that would be good for both duoing and for bigger groups. He and I will def be single boxing

Nice. I say now that I want to try something other than Mnk / Shm but I have a feeling that is what I will end up playing. There are a lot of options for duoing, but having at least one healer makes things a lot easier.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 19, 2022

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

koreban posted:

You’ll find groups looking for people often, however this game is almost 25 years old and most people who play it are semi-responsible adults, which means those groups usually are good for 30-45 minutes until someone’s got a kid to feed or has to go to work or whatever.

I think it’s quite the opposite.

In my experience with TLP’s there’s still MASSIVE numbers of people who devote their entire lives to this game. Like playing for 48+ hours straight when the server launches, a playing for 8 hours straight just because they were able to lock down a good camp. Just insane poo poo like that happening constantly all over. I was always in the minority when I could only devote 2 or 3 hours to grinding, and people were like “What? You’re done already?” After I had spent 3 straight hours grinding in their group.

The majority of the player base is crazy hard core. The casual players are definitely in the minority. Maybe not with goons, but in general.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

i can't lie i'm the 4-8 hour exp potion grind crowd, and i do love finding my night owls to grind with

loving may.. it's gonna take forever.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I’ve definitely put in the long session many times, but I’m just saying it seems like the vast minority of players are the busy adults who will casually play for 90 mins and then log off.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

koreban posted:

Here’s my setup:

A second mouse is an interesting approach and makes sense. On my main screen I'm constantly making quick movements to turn my character with the mouse and that's when the cursor pops onto another screen accidentally. It happens a lot when pulling and taking tons of sharp corners and is super disruptive there so preventing it would be really nice

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I might hop in with an enchanter for the new TLP server. It's such a weird and unique class.

The best thing about enchanters on TLPs is they can carry an entire group on their back. That is also the worst thing about them. In a lot of pick up groups people massively half rear end it but as an enchanter you kind of get to be 'on' all the time. You can take a break but the group often grinds to a halt when you do. I ended up soloing a lot because I just wanted to start and stop at any time and not feel like I was in a position to carry semi afk people.

There's a ton of depth to the class even in early expansions and it was really fun to discover that stuff.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Logged back into my Monk on Mangler and forgot all of the cool poo poo I got on him before I had to stop playing due to RL stuff. Stopped only part of the way through Kunark but had Monk Epic, Fungi Tunic, and 36% haste along with some other cool stuff. Oh and 18 Krono which is nice since it transfers between servers/characters.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

I think it’s quite the opposite.

In my experience with TLP’s there’s still MASSIVE numbers of people who devote their entire lives to this game. Like playing for 48+ hours straight when the server launches, a playing for 8 hours straight just because they were able to lock down a good camp. Just insane poo poo like that happening constantly all over. I was always in the minority when I could only devote 2 or 3 hours to grinding, and people were like “What? You’re done already?” After I had spent 3 straight hours grinding in their group.

The majority of the player base is crazy hard core. The casual players are definitely in the minority. Maybe not with goons, but in general.

You’re absolutely correct. Especially in the first few expansions, however, once you get to GoD+, those people are done with expansion AAs in the first couple of weeks and are farming missions or camping augs, or doing old raid content for clicks and poo poo for the rest of the expansion.

That was exactly me for a long while on the last several servers I’ve played on.

If you find a guild of decent people or can make a clique of like-minded and like-gametime friends, you can absolutely find groups.

Random pubbies spamming LFG in Paw don’t generally get the good/efficient groups in my experience.

It wasn’t meant to be a cautionary tale about playing EQ, it was a suggestion to seek out the better options.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Anyone notice issues with Gina alerts during raids since the 64-bit patch ? We've been getting a lot of triggers missed since the patch, but in-game audio alerts are still working.

I think it may be just people who log all combat/spells so have a very high volume of log updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Baconroll posted:

Anyone notice issues with Gina alerts during raids since the 64-bit patch ? We've been getting a lot of triggers missed since the patch, but in-game audio alerts are still working.

I think it may be just people who log all combat/spells so have a very high volume of log updates.

last time I created a log parser for EQ I had this problem. Gina is not deleting the log and at some point for the app to get to the end of the file the log has had a bunch of updates. EQ writes to the file fairly quickly and just wont give the app enough time to keep up.

If you know someone who can code you can fix this by clearing out the log after the read, you can use a slower thread to write the log so you can keep the contents. This solution still has some problems since EQ is going to madly be writing to the log.

You can make this better by reducing what goes to the log file with your filters as well