Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Another model question, what should I be using to glue it? I tried E6000 and it just wasn't sticking, the label says it works on some plastics, but I don't know if MCP models are excluded. (i'm fairly certain I used it and krazyglue before on plastic models, I think it was just reaper bones once which I think is a softer plastic)

One guide said plastic cement, which I can keep my eyes open for if that's what's recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Foolster41 posted:

Another model question, what should I be using to glue it? I tried E6000 and it just wasn't sticking, the label says it works on some plastics, but I don't know if MCP models are excluded. (i'm fairly certain I used it and krazyglue before on plastic models, I think it was just reaper bones once which I think is a softer plastic)

One guide said plastic cement, which I can keep my eyes open for if that's what's recommend.

Personally I found the glue I normally use for models (Tamiya Extra Thin) is not hardy enough to stick MCP models to bases. No clue why but they kept snapping off so now I use Gorilla Glue for attaching them to bases and it's perfect. Way better, especially with finicky, weirdass bases like Magneto, Storm, and other doofus models that are attached to weird poo poo.

Use Tamiya for putting the hero together, but use Gorilla Glue for attaching it to those bases. You can get both on Amazon and most hobby shops.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Don't use super glue. Plastic cement (in the UK, I use Revell Contacta with the needle applicator) is the best way to go here.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you're in the US, you can probably find Testors Liquid Cement, but get the fast dry stuff with applicator, for example here: Testors

I use it, and it works great for MCP models. Testors has a poor rep in the hobby space (often for good reason) but their plastic cement and their gloss/dull sealants are all quite good.

(Just don't actually get it from Hobby Lobby, because they're a trash company.)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Redid my Iron Man base to make it more dramatic with a defeated Ultron on it. Decent practice re-painting him and preparing to do Hulkbuster later.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
:argh:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LOL oh man, I have to try this with my spare Iron Man now.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

DLC Inc posted:

Personally I found the glue I normally use for models (Tamiya Extra Thin) is not hardy enough to stick MCP models to bases. No clue why but they kept snapping off so now I use Gorilla Glue for attaching them to bases and it's perfect. Way better, especially with finicky, weirdass bases like Magneto, Storm, and other doofus models that are attached to weird poo poo.

Use Tamiya for putting the hero together, but use Gorilla Glue for attaching it to those bases. You can get both on Amazon and most hobby shops.

This is precisely what I do as well.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

With help of a local game store owner I got my figures all assembled. He used to assemble figures professionally for GW and he said MCP were the hardest figures he ever assembled. (At home I accidentally snapped Doc Ock off his base, so I need to fix that)

He used the games workshop plastic glue which worked really well and didn't stick to my fingers. Is the Tamiya like that? I haven't ordered it yet because I knew it wasn't going to come in time anyway, and he had his own glue. I know it's expensive, but I'm tempted to get the GW glue for how well it worked, but I'm open to cheaper alternatives.

I played my first game with my new set (2nd game total) yesterday, and we had a bit of problems understanding some of the rules. I tried looking them up but couldn't really find clear answers:

1.)For the Extremis Console objective objects, do you control it if you have more of your team within 1 range of it, and if you move away you lose control? Or do you retain control as long as there isn't any enemies near? You don't need to use an action to control Exremis Consoles, right?

2.)How does climbing work? I still don't quite get it, do you move short and then from being next to it just pop to the top of the terrain feature? Do you measure the short measurement vertically up the terrain feature?

3.)When a power says you can advance (like Baron Zimo's Steel Rush), does that mean I have to advance towards the enemy, or could I use it to retreat?
---
A battle report:
I played as Cabal, and my opponent (my dad) played as the Avengers. We rushed to the objectives and traded blows. My dad was ahead by a couple of points in the 4th round, but then Black Widow took a second cube shard, which gave me enough points to tie. (She then promptly got staggered from the damage during the next powers phase dropping them. oops). We ended up tying on the 6th round, and so we played a 7th (our understanding of the rules) and my dad managed to get 1 more point than me, winning 17-16.
Neither of us remembered to use our team power cards, since we had enough to concentrate as it with the unit abilities. Power cards feel a bit overwelming. Also, the icons on the unit cards are tiny and we struggled to differentiate them.

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

Hopefully I'm right about these....
1. You dont need to Interact or spend an action to secure them, just have more guys. I think if you have a healthy side guy vs. an opponents injured side, you are securing it.

2. Correct, you just move small and are on top of the building. So if you had a skyscraper on your table, your guy would just be on top after moving small.

3. An advance is like a movement so it's any direction you want. Only Push or Pull have any bearing on whether it's towards or away from another character.

I would recommend playing without power cards for the first few games while you get your feet wet. It's just one more thing to have to remember (or forget). They can be game changing depending on what you use. I play Spider Foes and I'm a big fan of using Well Laid Plans to have Goblin and Doc Ock make the opposing side drop their secure tokens and then picking them all up.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Cool! Thanks!

Wotsnik
Sep 28, 2005
Just because you can see it, doesn't mean it's not invisible.
1. Yeah extremis consoles the interact is only for the heal, unlike say "Deadly Meteors Mutate Civilians" where the interact is how you control it. But on meteors you can walk away after and you still hold it until the opponent takes it.

2. Movement is entirely horizontal measurements. If you are about to go onto a large terrain piece you just declare climb, you therefore use the short movement stick, and you move across, just awkwardly holding the stick as best you can to be lined up with the mini so you can place it at the end of the move on top. Just remember that unless you have flight or wall crawler, anything the specifies an "advance" will not let you climb as it is technically a different action to "climb". eg if you use "avengers assemble" tactics card.

3. Unless something specifies toward/away then any direction is fine.

On the glue any plastic glue will work, and generally anything not-GW you will get more for your money. Tamiya is good, Revel Contacta is fantastic and my personal favourite with its needle tip applicator.

Wotsnik fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 14, 2022

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I use Tamiya Thin for building figures since it comes with a brush and then GW Glue for securing them to the base.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Theres no such thing as a "pull". Push can be either "toward" or "away" or neither. An advance is resolved like a normal move, and so can cross over equal or smaller terrain and any models. A push stops moving when it contacts terrain or another model. A throw also stops when contacting a model or terrain, but also causes collision damage

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I cannot comprehend a professional saying that the MCP minis are the hardest they've ever assembled. Have they only done the most recent GW minis and literally no other game?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tbh I'm more confused about how someone does 'professional assembly' for GW.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Fyrbrand posted:

Tbh I'm more confused about how someone does 'professional assembly' for GW.

Worked at the local GW and was occasionally asked to assemble the mini's given away to test new paint schemes?

As much as it's hard to take anyone making that boast seriously, I don't think anyone disagrees that the MCP starter box is really not great from that point of view.

For securing models to the base, I pin (using superblue) and then use plastic cement on the plastic components.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

"Professional assembler" aside, some of the models really are a pain in the rear end. I built Honey Badger yesterday and there's no real excuse for her head to be three parts.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
For a professional GW assembler, they clearly weren't around when the old metal Steam Tank or Black Coach existed. You need about 5 hands and several vices to put those together.

The MCP models are a bit fiddly, but they are a cakewalk compared to some.

e: for context I'm the poster who was worried about picking it up because they might be too difficult, my wife did them on her own and she has next to no experience with it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I never got around to getting any of them, but I do remember reading that when Malifaux made the shift from metals to hard plastics, at the time they were handily walking away with the "Most Ridiculous Design Decision" and "Fiddliest Goddamn Bits, Seriously Who Thought This Was A Good Idea" trophies.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The core box had a few misses for sure. I remember Captain Marvel giving me trouble with her sash. Steve and Zemo had some tiny fiddly bits too, iirc. Generally things are much better now, but Honey Badger was a total throwback. Lackluster sculpt, and her head was in three tiny pieces. Big sis isn't a great sculpt, either. Luckily the other new xmen are all pretty good. Rogue in particular looks great in person, imo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

"Professional assembler" aside, some of the models really are a pain in the rear end. I built Honey Badger yesterday and there's no real excuse for her head to be three parts.

Having done Star-Lord and Rocket I'm kind of used to it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dawgstar posted:

Having done Star-Lord and Rocket I'm kind of used to it.

Those are old! We've moved on to the modern problems being stupidly intricate hero rocks for everyone to stand on (gently caress you Jean Grey).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The early MCP models def had growing pains---Ultron and Doc Ock's confusing assembly stick out to me. Compare the new Octavius with his tentacles provided as whole pieces, to the core box making you create them out of 8 separate pieces. Star-Lord is another early one with unnecessarily tiny and frustrating parts. I'd absolutely say I've had some easier times with 40k/Sigmar models but those occasionally have some bullshit as well.

Compare the older core stuff to the build and sculpt quality of the Spider-Foes/X-men now, they look way better and are easier to assemble. One of the newest minis, Colossus, is literally only 3 loving pieces lol. Some of the new X-Men like Rogue and Gambit have the head already attached to the chest. The Hulkbuster I've got on ice right now though, I peeped the assembly booklet and that's gonna be a project. Over 23 steps to assemble that monster.

Sidenote on newer models, though---I think that Elektra might be the one that breaks the long streak of fantastic sculpts for me. Idk what happened but she legit looks like crap.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Those are old! We've moved on to the modern problems being stupidly intricate hero rocks for everyone to stand on (gently caress you Jean Grey).

Painting Storm and Wanda, for this reason, were the most miserable painting experiences ever lol. Simple to actually paint but getting them on those fiddly, skinny energy bolts sucked.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The worst MCP model is still easier to assemble than 95% of, say, Warmachine models, let alone the metals, let alone anything from smaller companies.

Like poo poo, Infinity for years was "what if the worst MCP sized pieces, but metal and not particulary designed to slot in one way only"

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

It's good to hear that MCP is moving away from the more annoying tiny pieces. About half of them were pretty easy to put together (The ones I did by myself mostly), but there were bits like half arms that were really hard on Captain Marvel that were really annoying. Ultron and Doc Ock were also a pain. I'm glad I got the guy to put together Rocket's head, there's no reason for him to have a seperate tiny upper jaw.

Also, something fun I discovered, Heroclix bases are the same size and same scale roughly as MCP, so for the ones I can get cards for, I can use them as proxies until I build up my collection more.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 15, 2022

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Thirsty Dog posted:

The worst MCP model is still easier to assemble than 95% of, say, Warmachine models, let alone the metals, let alone anything from smaller companies.

I never understood why the newer plastic kits would have a single metal weapon held aloft that would either fall off every few months or pull the whole model down constantly. Horgle2 looked really cool and was a nightmare to keep in one piece. I also fondly remember taunting my friend about my recent purchase of Mulg as a counter to some shenanigans he was pulling and then unveiling him in three pieces.

My first experience with this game was trying to show my niece how to assemble models by putting Shuri together. That ended in disaster. For the new stuff, Honey Badger was a pain and I think I got some glue on her left eye by accident which should be interesting when it comes time to paint, but the rest of these new releases have been really simple to assemble and look great. Some facial definition issues aside (Wolverine's eyes still haunt me) I'm always really impressed with the quality of models this game has.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

just assembled my core set last night, and gotta say- coming from Malifaux and Gremlins specifically having only two or three bullshit bits (Crossbones has a single pocket that needs attached? Zemo's elbow pads were irritating) it was pretty painless. I am a very novice minis person though.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Battle report! My 3rd game of MCP, and my first "real" game of not playing the first game scenario, also first game trying some of the non-core units.

My squad was Rocket, Groot, Spider man (Miles Morales), Wolverine, Mystique and Storm

My opponent's Squad was Thor, Black Widow, Ultron, War Machine, Red Skull

We were playing the Gama radiation and evacuation crises

Because of limited table space we were playing with special rules of a 30"x30" board, deploying only range 2 from the edge, and objectives were in the same relative place, but closer together because of the smaller table.

The first 3 rounds my opponent played pretty aggressively, taking the middle 2 objectives, gaining a pretty fair lead.
Nether of us was able to hold on to the hostages and save power enough to use them the entire battle.

Most of our two sides went down the center, but Ultron and Mystique, Rocket and Groot took a flank (which meant they were all taking gama radiation damage each round). We traded blows and it felt like I was getting my side whittled down quite a bit. I lost Storm, but I think I had more of his side flipped.
in a single round of very good rolls on both sides (and each of us realizing we had already dead units) it was down to just War machine vs. wolvering and
spider-man. I had managed to contest and even control the center point, and managed to catch up to 2 VP behind. We tied in the 6th round and in the 7th tie breaker War machine was defeated.

(The base is Storm, she broke and I havn't fixed her yet).
---

I really like the combo of Groot and Rocket, with Groot taking damage, though 14 health sounds like a lot, I found some good rolls with very high power attacks (like 7 dice!) and easily take out even Groot in just a few hits.

Wolverine is very neat too. He can't pick up objectives (I imagine because of the claws, he'd stab the hostages when trying to guide them), but his regeneration ability was very handy in keeping him alive.

Storm is rad as well, she has some very cool damage moves, I moved into the middle of 3 enemies and just hurricaned them, dealing a fair amount of damage spread out. It doesn't hurt allies, which is also nice.

I used Miles' pushing move a few times to get enemies off the points and also was very helpful.

Mystique is another interesting one, I felt she was useful, but though I need to play her again to really get how to use her well. I think I should have used her to try flanking the enemies' far point rather than getting into a shooting war with Ultron.

E:
I also tried the Ultron single player scenerio "All will be metal" vs. AI, and one thing I dont' get is the rules say somewhere that Ultron, Master of Metal doesn't get or spend power, he just has enough to do whatever abillity he would do, but there's a condition on the doomsday device that gives him power. I assume the infinite power is just for when I use an AI, (instead of a player playing as Ultron), and the condition on the doomsday device just does nothing?

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 22, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK played my first test game. Spider-friends are SUPER annoying!
my favored playstyle in minis games (at least back when I played Malifaux) was to have lots of very long range dudes threatening huge areas and shepherding the opponents minis into a safe area from my snipers (where a giant bruiser mini could rip them apart)
I have been told this is the Guardians between quill and rocket having tons of ranged damage and then groot loving poo poo up up close. c/d?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Shrecknet posted:

OK played my first test game. Spider-friends are SUPER annoying!
my favored playstyle in minis games (at least back when I played Malifaux) was to have lots of very long range dudes threatening huge areas and shepherding the opponents minis into a safe area from my snipers (where a giant bruiser mini could rip them apart)
I have been told this is the Guardians between quill and rocket having tons of ranged damage and then groot loving poo poo up up close. c/d?

Pretty much, with the exception that Groot hangs out in the back with Rocket to protect him while Drax/Gamora/Nebula are the ones going in.

You might also like Brotherhood.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Magneto-centric Brotherhood lists can do some good attrition work, although they tend to be much closer range than the overlapping-snipers setup shrecknet is talking about. While they aren't super competitive, X-Force can also pull it off. Cable, Domino and Deadpool have some really solid damage at long range, while X-23 and Honey Badger can rush in to exploit enemy positioning. They're mostly just missing some good objective players to be a really solid roster right now

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I've been playing X-Force for the past few months and currently in S7 of the tts league. I think the core of Cable, X-23 and Honey Badger is surprisingly a big deal. Gives you 7 free points at 17 threat that could be Medusa and another 3; like Domino, Baron Zemo or Deadpool

Medusa is still baller and Royal Decree makes it so that you can move Honey Badger out of activation. Also the character throw Hair Flip and the push on the builder gives you some control. Which is really what X-Force is missing in affiliation

in short they're fun

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 22, 2022

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Miniature Market has some good boxes on sale today for 2/22.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I want to get some interesting modern terrain (like gas stations or subway entrances) and I refuse to believe there isn't a model train scale that matches MCP mini sizes to do this, because gently caress paying $70 for Stranges Sanctum Santorum

H? HO?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
They are 1:48, which is O scale in the US, though O gauge is apparently slightly smaller over in UK/Europe.

e: also lol at looking to model railway stuff for things being cheap

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Shrecknet posted:

I want to get some interesting modern terrain (like gas stations or subway entrances) and I refuse to believe there isn't a model train scale that matches MCP mini sizes to do this, because gently caress paying $70 for Stranges Sanctum Santorum

H? HO?

O scale looks pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/minipainting/comments/l647lg/wip_wednesday_oscale_model_railroad_buildings_are/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUx4OM-Ad7s

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I highly recommend TTCombat's MDF buildings - https://ttcombat.com/collections/city-scenics. Affordable, easy to assemble and almost perfect in scale.

This was a portion of the table I put together for our last game: a mix of TTCombat and AMG terrain.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Man, that terrain looks great. Is the bus stop AMG? I can't find it googling, or on that TTCombat site.
It's very temping to get it (or find somewhere in the states that sells simular since shipping from the EU would be a lot probibly) to replace my paper terrain.

I used O scale scenery pack for heroclix, which looks to be the same scale (at least roughly) as MCP.
It was actually this pack. (which $30 is maybe a lot, I didn't remember what I paid for it, but I think it was close to that probibly.)

E: Nevermind I found it, it's TTCombat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
won my first local tourney with X-Force today. Dr Strange, Sorcerer Supreme is a beast. Domino continues to prove that rolling more attacks is always better and with Cover she can tank a surprising number of attacks