Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you know I can’t touch your norton ghost chips mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

we are supposed to have gigabit download

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hbag posted:

we are supposed to have gigabit download

your modem has a 100Mb port connected to the uplink, that is probably the thing and your ISP hopes you don't notice.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Pile Of Garbage posted:

your modem has a 100Mb port connected to the uplink, that is probably the thing and your ISP hopes you don't notice.

i mean they shipped us a brand new "superhub" explicitly for this gigabit plan, im pretty sure our old one had 100Mb so if thats what they were doing why would they waste the money sending us a new one

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it being pretty much exactly 100mbps accounting overheads still makes something of the sort very likely.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hbag posted:

i mean they shipped us a brand new "superhub" explicitly for this gigabit plan, im pretty sure our old one had 100Mb so if thats what they were doing why would they waste the money sending us a new one

idk what your last mile delivery is but im guessing it's just ethernet which in that case if it isnt connect to a gig port on your router you will be getting hosed. you should be able to lookup the specs of your router to determine the port speed, i doubt it has anything less than 1Gb.

idk how internet happens in the UK but id suspect a downstream media converter because no way they're delivering 1Gb optical to premise.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Does anyone make a normal keyboard? Mechanical keyboard nerds have completely poisoned the algorithm so I can't seem to find any on my own.

I want something with the same button arrangement as a model M (preferably no fuction keys but I can deal with it as long as e.g. F4 acts like F4 by default and I don't have to toggle the stupid f-lock every time i turn on my computer) and not ergonomically curved keys or stupid chicklet keys. Surely someone out there is still making normal keyboards right?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

you know I can’t touch your norton ghost chips mate

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm gonna buck from the "it must be your hardware" trend and point out that hbag's speed issue could be a provisioning error on the ISP's end

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Corla Plankun posted:

Does anyone make a normal keyboard? Mechanical keyboard nerds have completely poisoned the algorithm so I can't seem to find any on my own.

I want something with the same button arrangement as a model M (preferably no fuction keys but I can deal with it as long as e.g. F4 acts like F4 by default and I don't have to toggle the stupid f-lock every time i turn on my computer) and not ergonomically curved keys or stupid chicklet keys. Surely someone out there is still making normal keyboards right?

if by "normal" you mean "ISO" then yes

but for real just get a GMMK or GMMK pro, theyre pretty good & what i use

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
hbag if you're plugged direct into the hardware the ISP provided you and you're getting 100mb then give the ISP a ring (or use their web chat or w/e)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

hbag if you're plugged direct into the hardware the ISP provided you and you're getting 100mb then give the ISP a ring (or use their web chat or w/e)

yeah i probably will

but for the record the route is:
hub -> powerline adapter in living room -> powerline adapter in my bedroom -> gigabit dumb switch -> my pc

checked the link speed in the adapter properties, its gigabit - i have no idea if that means it has gigabit throughput the entire way or if it just means my network card is gigabit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

powerline poo poo is notoriously unpredictable (and are you sure it's even best case rated above 100mbps?), try connected before that, or at least compare wifi.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

powerline poo poo is notoriously unpredictable (and are you sure it's even best case rated above 100mbps?), try connected before that, or at least compare wifi.

its rated for gigabit yea
and UK houses are all 1 big circuit so it shouldnt affect it TOO badly
i remember getting similar speeds when i plugged directly into the hub though

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

try leaving your house and entering an electronics store, I think you’ll find what you’re looking for op

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hbag posted:

yeah i probably will

but for the record the route is:
hub -> powerline adapter in living room -> powerline adapter in my bedroom -> gigabit dumb switch -> my pc

checked the link speed in the adapter properties, its gigabit - i have no idea if that means it has gigabit throughput the entire way or if it just means my network card is gigabit

it just means that your PC has negotiated a gigabit connection with the device it is immediately connected to, in this case the switch. i'm guessing your switch has LEDs that indicate connection speed and activity for each port, so it should tell you what the connection speed from the switch to the powerline adapter is.

that said: just because the powerline adapters have gigabit network ports exposed which successfully negotiate a gigabit connection with a device plugged in to them, does not mean that the powerline adapters will necessarily achieve full gigabit speed between each other over the power lines.

if you want to test how good the powerline connection is, you could use a program like iperf to send traffic between a computer in the living room and a computer in your bedroom.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hbag posted:

try it on the hub again before you ring mr branson, they'll ask you to do that anyway

Something may have changed, or your memory might just be shite

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

oddly enough, gaming keyboards is where you can find some of the most standard layouts and minimalistic designs

I use a roccat suora FX and it's a very normal rear end keyboard except with RGB lighting (that you can configure to something sober or disable completely) and an asstastic looking app to remap keys that you don't have to use

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

stay out of this thread

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

stay out of this thread

what are you going to punish me for actually talking through my problem and listening to people for once rather than flinging poo poo at everyone who Posts In My Direction
that seems counter-intuitive imo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Lol

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

A thread for computer problems is catnip to hbags

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

quote from child punished

hbag posted:

what are you going to punish me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
my windows machine refuses to ever sleep or turn off the monitor according to the power plan settings, but the suggested tool for diagnosing this says nothing is up:

code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.
powercfg /energy has a bunch of these

quote:

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.

but as it says, that should be fine, just more energy required

is there some log i can look at to see something like "hit the sleep timer, but couldn't sleep because reasons"? Event Viewer Kernel-Power just has when it actually went to sleep

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
have you checked your software?

my torrent client and video player both prevent sleep iirc, it might be something you're running all the time

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i thought that was what /requests was supposed to show

i would, if i could figure out what was keeping it up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
try also unplugging usb devices. i have a controller that won’t let my computer sleep if i leave it plugged in.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Team hosed up the board design so bad we have no hope to boot it but to program the only boot media available, an eMMC wired direct to the CPU, via bit-banging over JTAG boundary scan. Also, nobody here knows how JTAG boundary scan or eMMC works (most jtag tools will only do raw NAND AFAIK), or even if it will boot after the media is programmed. Oh, and we can't just redo the board because the chips have a 52 week lead time.

:shepicide: but also :science:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

JTAG is like a big ol shift register. Just cram bytes in until they fall out at your eMMC

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Colonel Taint posted:

Team hosed up the board design so bad we have no hope to boot it but to program the only boot media available, an eMMC wired direct to the CPU, via bit-banging over JTAG boundary scan. Also, nobody here knows how JTAG boundary scan or eMMC works (most jtag tools will only do raw NAND AFAIK), or even if it will boot after the media is programmed. Oh, and we can't just redo the board because the chips have a 52 week lead time.

:shepicide: but also :science:

yikes

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

If you can memory map the eMMC controller with individual register writes you might be in luck and be able to dump bytes into it and have it program the part. The flash controller can do this with NAND on our board. What chip is it? Another idea is getting u-boot or some other custom program into RAM via JTAG and then using USB DFU or some other I/O interface to write the eMMC, then boot for real.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and if that fails i can help you out, but you're gonna need seventeen SPST switches (16 latching, 1 momentary) and a fuckload of weed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

and if that fails i can help you out, but you're gonna need seventeen SPST switches (16 latching, 1 momentary) and a fuckload of weed

lol

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Update: I've used urjtag python bindings to make a clock signal for the eMMC clock line. Scope says it's running at about 400 Hz.

e: Another update: the ref board reads back the boundary scan register fine, but it's reading back as all zeroes, and I know the jtag lines aren't stuck because the chip IDs itself OK. I can however set signals on our board.

Colonel Taint fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 17, 2022

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I really have no clue where else to post this.

In a few months, google is getting rid of the legacy free G suite accounts they let people stay grandfathered into.

So now I have to go back to using myemail@mydomain.com on my server, instead of Google's. Fine. I don't want to give Google money every month. Especially since it's just a hobby domain and not something I make money with, so having a monthly bill to use my email would be stupid.

Anyway I read this article: https://www.androidpolice.com/google-legacy-free-g-suite-accounts-ded/

The article says I will be hosed on my Google Play purchases. This is a really huge deal because I have hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of stuff I bought on there.

so I guess my questions are:

1) Why would this affect my ability to download stuff I previously purchased in the Google Play store? Can't you use ANY email address (even AOL or whatever) and use that for Google Play? Why would it not allow Play Store re-downloading just because I am no longer using G Suite?

2) is there really NO way to transfer Google Play purchases from one gmail account to another? What happens to people who lose their email address passwords? What if your email address in high school was something embarrassing? You have to use weedlord420@prodigy.net even though Prodigy no longer exists and you don't want to use that stupid email address anymore? What about for women who change their last name? What about transgendered people who change their first name? Does Google seriously force you to use that email address forever with no way to use a new email address?

This is going to gently caress me over so bad that I am actually considering paying Google monthly but every time I think about it I get so pissed at the prospect that I refuse to give in out of spite and because paying monthly for what is essentially ransom is hosed up and I refuse to give in. Does anyone have any ideas?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

they'll add an option to migrate your account in the future https://support.google.com/a/answer...ransfer-my-data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
so, in IIS on our DMZ server I’ve got an existing server farm that has a rule in place rerouting an incoming url to hit a file folder on an internal server. I’m trying to figure out how to make that rule redirect to a new file server so that we can decomm the old one. for the life of me I can’t figure where to make that change. i can pull up a list of the rules but when I delve into one I don’t see any meaningful server routing information.

anyone know what i should do?

e: the existing Action Type is Reroute to Server Farm

President Beep fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 18, 2022