Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

Vaati would be a lot cooler if he wasn't trying to do a documentary voice or whatever he's doing.

I think that's just how he talks. I've heard him when he's not doing those videos and he's always like that. So is a Destinytuber named My Name Is Byf, a man who sounds so identical that I first thought it was a Vaati alt account. I think it's just an obscure accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flytrap posted:

Have file size been revealed yet? I don't want to boot up my console on game day only to find out that preload failed because I didn't free enough space.

The PC specs that were taken down said 60GB.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

The PC specs that were taken down said 60GB.

Thank you. Clearing up 100 gigs just to be safe.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Mailer posted:

My unlock time is the steam unlock time. In theory I could take Friday off, go to a superspreader mall, and pick up a console copy but lol no. 16:00 (AEDT) on Friday is fine. Means I don't really have to take Friday off.

My (cynical and unfounded) call is that it'll have some sort of Anor Londo-ish second half split where they blew their load populating the first few areas. Empty areas, A->B travel without secrets, fields of copypasted early minibosses as enemies and the boss is two of a previous boss, etc. This is a really stupid fear coming off of Dark2/3, which had extensive and varied areas and enemies, but if something is going to go bad here my money is it'll be that.

If that's true, why would it be a bad thing? Most of this describes the network test; empty areas and copypaste minibosses and so on are exactly what an open world should be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sum Gai posted:

If that's true, why would it be a bad thing? Most of this describes the network test; empty areas and copypaste minibosses and so on are exactly what an open world should be.

I mean that's kinda why open world games are mostly doodoo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yes, the twin-stick gamepad is one of the worst things that ever happened to game design

"hurr durr i would like LESS precision in this game about clicking heads and orienting yourself in 3D space, please"

Amazing. Everything you typed is wrong.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Pwnstar posted:

Vaati would be a lot cooler if he wasn't trying to do a documentary voice or whatever he's doing.

I think he's just British

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Babe Magnet posted:

woolie doing vaati-style videos but with kirby lore instead of souls lore is a good schtick lol

I really hope he revisits the Kirby lore series after the new game comes out.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kirby lore is honestly pretty wild, much more than youd think

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Pwnstar posted:

i’d pay him $5 to say “you’ve… reached the phone… of the damned hollow tote up a bags. Perhaps… try finger but hole, upon hearing the accursed blare of the toneknight” in his tryhard documentary voice

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Amazing. Everything you typed is wrong.

no u

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't believe that the Elden Ring was Halo all along

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't believe that the Elden Ring was Halo all along

Halo is the Chaos Bed. A terrible mistake created by trying to imitate something irreplaceable in a medium unsuited to it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Halo is the Chaos Bed. A terrible mistake created by trying to imitate something irreplaceable in a medium unsuited to it.

I can't believe the Elden Ring was the loop from Marathon Infinity all along

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

The American youtube voice is 'selling action figures to nine-year-olds' and the British youtube voice is 'discovering a mass grave on live television'.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
"the purpose built gaming interface is far inferior to the tools used for manipulating spreadsheets"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

"the purpose built gaming interface is far inferior to the tools used for manipulating spreadsheets"

correct

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

doingitwrong posted:

gonna cry?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The release trailer is coming out soonish and could be deemed spoilery apparently, ala the DS3 one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWBwFhUv1-8

Never watched that one. If I had known that you can fight that fire dragon skeleton things (Pilgrim Butterfly) before playing, the game would have been totally spoiled for me.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Vintersorg posted:

it's just a bunch of random enemies attacking you and random vistas. You have next to no context for anything
Still, plenty of other stuff they could've shown instead of 12 out of 19 bosses. Ah well. Maybe I'm just too sensitive about getting poo poo spoiled.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Getting whisked away to the darkness only to stumble upon a huge spooky skeleton was genuinely kinda cool. And it was the only cool thing about the wolnir fight so would kinda stink to have that spoiled by the trailer

Showing the link the fire ending during the trailer was kinda funny. But who wouldnt see that coming at this point

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Well none of the NPC-killing I did in Souls made me feel like as much of a filthy murderer as I do after slaughtering a tribe of monkeys halfway through Sekiro. Poor guys.

The big guy who picked up his noggin and kept swinging after I beat him, no moral ambiguity there however.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No they're right the reason aim assist still exists in stuff like Warzone is because controllers are as precise for FPS as a mouse is.

giZm posted:

Still, plenty of other stuff they could've shown instead of 12 out of 19 bosses. Ah well. Maybe I'm just too sensitive about getting poo poo spoiled.

Like I said you could probably go back to the gameplay trailer after beating Elden Ring and go "oh they showed this and this and this". I don't think I even remembered any of the guys from the DS3 video when I played.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 14, 2022

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Yeah that's fair I guess. I'll just continue to stay away from any sort of media for a few more days.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Given the usual quality of From's boss and environmental designs, I'd consider any visual elements alone outside of the first 30 minutes spoilers I don't want to see.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The one good thing about Souls spoilers is that the games' natural inscrutability makes them really difficult to spoil. Hell, I don't even know what happened after I beat the games until a few Youtube lore videos explain it to me.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Elden Ring will be the Dark Souls 2 of Souls

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I finished my DS3 replay over the weekend, concluding a ~15 month replay of the entire* Soulsborniro series starting with the DeS remake. I'm now mentally prepared to craft the finest Elden Ring takes. After finishing it I'll be able to shut my eyes and perfectly visualize its correct placement among the correct ranking of the Fromsoft catalog. But in the meantime I can certainly say this: these games are alright. Not bad, honestly. Pretty good stuff all things considered.

* except the DLC for DS2 (was over it and wanted to move on) and the second half of Bloodborne (50% game for 50% frames buddy)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/EldenRingUpdate/status/1492872321698308099/photo/1

Next stop poison swamp.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

but enough about parliament am i right bruv

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It's already in London, though.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The best game of the series???

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

giZm posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? 12 bosses plus a bit of the ending sequence in the release trailer?

I remember the original Dark Souls came out a week or two earlier in Japan than it did in the US, so when the release date here was a few days away, I decided to spend a few hours watching some random Japanese person stream the game. They were having trouble with a pretty unassuming boss with a solemn musical score; I figured it was some mid-game chokepoint boss. A formidable foe. Wasn't sure who it was, since the name was in katakana.

Game came out, I went to the on-campus Gamestop at midnight and hustled back to the dorm, two of ninety people there for Dark Souls (the rest were picking up NBA2K11 or something like that.) Was absorbed for the next two weeks. Then I found out who that boss was: Boat

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I think he's just British

I think hes australian but he doesnt sound like an aussie I've ever met!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I know this is meant to be a light hearted joke about divisive opinions on videogames in general.

But it also makes me wonder what Elden Ring launch day would be like if suddenly they had DS2 style class starts.

"This class starts out just fine! This class is 1 point of strength off so you need to two-hand your weapon. And this class has low I-frames, but don't worry you can raise those."

Hell of a lot more iconic to DS2's signature feel than arguments about an elevator ride between zones, at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 14, 2022

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

acksplode posted:

Pretty good stuff all things considered.

* except the DLC for DS2 (was over it and wanted to move on) and the second half of Bloodborne (50% game for 50% frames buddy)

:mods:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The PC port is going to be a huge clusterfuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

enojy posted:

Then I found out who that boss was: Boat

Is this capra? I can't figure out who that's supposed to be