Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

darthbob88 posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong place for a Powerpoint question. Is there a way to get a Powerpoint text box to do a pipe separated list with wrapping, rather than a bulleted list with each item on a new line? Specifically I'm trying to get a Wikipedia category list on a slide, so at worst I can just take a screenshot, but I'd rather do it using a textbox for ease of styling.

(It's for a trivia thing; "This TV show is in the categories 'TV about cancer', 'TV set in New Mexico', 'TV about the illegal drug trade', and 'TV created by Vince Gilligan', among others. What TV show am I referring to?" Breaking Bad Repeat for 11 more slides and shows.)

Do you mean like this?

If so:
  • Right-click the edge of the text box
  • Format shape
  • Text options
  • Select the right-most (3rd) icon
  • Expand "Text Box"
  • Select "Wrap text in shape"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Ynglaur posted:

Do you mean like this?

If so:
  • Right-click the edge of the text box
  • Format shape
  • Text options
  • Select the right-most (3rd) icon
  • Expand "Text Box"
  • Select "Wrap text in shape"

That works, but it requires me to manually remove the bullets and add the pipes between items. Is there a way to do that automatically, without relying on fallible manual work?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

darthbob88 posted:

That works, but it requires me to manually remove the bullets and add the pipes between items. Is there a way to do that automatically, without relying on fallible manual work?

Unfortunately PP has lovely search & replace capability but you can use this macro I stole:

code:
Sub SofterSoftReturns()
    Dim oSl As Slide
    Dim oSh As Shape
    Dim sReplaceCharacter As String

' edit this if you like:
    sReplaceCharacter = " | "

For Each oSl In ActivePresentation.Slides
        For Each oSh In oSl.Shapes
            If oSh.HasTextFrame Then
                If oSh.TextFrame.HasText Then
                    oSh.TextFrame.TextRange.Text = _
                    Replace(oSh.TextFrame.TextRange.Text, Chr$(13), sReplaceCharacter)
                End If
            End If
        Next
    Next
End Sub

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

xzzy posted:

The only one that I regularly forget is the microsoft account login. If you log in during install it sets your Users directory to the first five letters of your email address and it's a giant pain to change later. So if that matters to you, create a local account on install and sign into your MS account once everything is done.

Other than that check off all the telemetry boxes when it asks about it and let it do its thing.

Haha, there's already something I would have tripped over :) I've relied on autocomplete features for so long, I've no idea what my login was. Well, now it's been changed and written down.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Klyith posted:

As in supports storing a OTP secret with accounts and generating codes for login? Keepass desktop client needs a plugin to do so. The Keepass2Android client has it built in.

However, getting the OTP secret is "exercise left to user" and somewhat annoying with sites that only want to show you a QR code. Means that I also have a 2FA client installed on my phone that is willing to export (which Google Authenticator won't).

I've always wondered how you're supposed to back up Google Authenticator - can you even transfer your codes to a new phone? Nevermind what happens if you lose your phone or it suddenly dies.
Probably outside the topic of this thread, though.

(And I use physical USB/NFC keys instead of software anyway.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I guess this goes here since we're a Windows office.

My team needs an internal wiki or some kind of knowledge management software real bad. Right now we're tracking things through Excel sheets thrown in OneDrive and poo poo gets lost very regularly.

The problem I'm running across is that most of these apps are geared towards computer touchers, and while I've touched a few computers in my day, my coworkers are like user-drinking-water.gif (although otherwise super smart.) So it can't be overly complicated or unwieldy.

I looked at Notion, but it does seem like overkill. I also glanced at Obsidian because of that thread below from the guy who is basically advertising it, but that is far too dorky for our needs, and seems to be made for programmers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My team needs an internal wiki or some kind of knowledge management software real bad. Right now we're tracking things through Excel sheets thrown in OneDrive and poo poo gets lost very regularly.

The problem I'm running across is that most of these apps are geared towards computer touchers, and while I've touched a few computers in my day, my coworkers are like user-drinking-water.gif (although otherwise super smart.) So it can't be overly complicated or unwieldy.

I looked at Notion, but it does seem like overkill. I also glanced at Obsidian because of that thread below from the guy who is basically advertising it, but that is far too dorky for our needs, and seems to be made for programmers.

Do you have Teams? There's wiki and file sharing and all sorts of stuff built-in.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

We do but no one uses it and everyone here reflexively hates it, in part because of how Microsoft has attempted to shove it down our throats. That may or may not be rational but I'd rather not propose a process improvement using software that already induces groans.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

We do but no one uses it and everyone here reflexively hates it, in part because of how Microsoft has attempted to shove it down our throats. That may or may not be rational but I'd rather not propose a process improvement using software that already induces groans.

I'm in healthcare informatics with a mixed team of computer touchers and clinical/informatics experts, we use Confluence as our own kind of wiki and cloud file location and use JIRA for tickets around issues we need to do something about.

It works pretty well and most people aren't computer touchers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Computer viking posted:

I've always wondered how you're supposed to back up Google Authenticator - can you even transfer your codes to a new phone? Nevermind what happens if you lose your phone or it suddenly dies.
Probably outside the topic of this thread, though.

(And I use physical USB/NFC keys instead of software anyway.)

Google Authenticator doesn't have a backup. One thing you can do is save the QR codes used to set up your profiles and reuse them to transfer to a new devices.

Other apps do let you make backups. That's why I'm using Authy.

Regular warning about storing this data and keeping it secure and being aware of who has access.

Edit: Oh, crap, Authy wasn't set up to make backups on my new phone. Glad I checked!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 10, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uthor posted:

Google Authenticator doesn't have a backup. One thing you can do is save the QR codes used to set up your profiles and reuse them to transfer to a new devices.

Other apps do let you make backups. That's why I'm using Authy.

Regular warning about storing this data and keeping it secure and being aware of who has access.

Edit: Oh, crap, Authy wasn't set up to make backups on my new phone. Glad I checked!

Google Authenticator actually does let you transfer accounts now - it's not a true backup but it was much easier to set up going from my Pixel 3 to Pixel 6 than it was Pixel 1 to Pixel 3.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

OneNote works surprisingly well as a wiki. It's not perfect, but is probably already purchased. Confluence is significantly better. As an aside, if the team is dead set against Teams because of how it's been rolled out, you may not even have a tool problem. I.e. If you had the Best Tool Ever and the Vendor Bought Everyone a New Car, would the team use it?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think OneNote is a bit simplistic for these purposes, we have a ton of knowledge and projects to manage. I don't think our management is at all opposed to paying for something new if it will really help. This would start just getting rolled out to my small team at first anyway before maybe considering it on a broader basis.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I think OneNote is a bit simplistic for these purposes, we have a ton of knowledge and projects to manage. I don't think our management is at all opposed to paying for something new if it will really help. This would start just getting rolled out to my small team at first anyway before maybe considering it on a broader basis.

Look at Obsidian then, yeah. It’s far less coder-y than you might be thinking it is at first look, just markdown+internal links+whatever plugins you want.

But really it does sound like you want a business knowledge base program.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

But really it does sound like you want a business knowledge base program.
Yeah, this is more like it. I don't think anyone I work with is going to know what Markdown is, so that is pretty codery from our perspective.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
This might be the wildly wrong thread to ask, but is there a good way to archive files up to Azure?

We use Azure blob storage for backup, but those are usually big individual files. I'd like to upload an entire directory tree with the individual files left alone so people can access/browse them later if we need them, but still have them move to archive storage costs.

I only have Azure Storage Explorer and command line options, I cannot seem to get the file-store setup to work since we don't use AD attached devices and I'm not doing the whole VPN into Azure thing required to make all that work apparently.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FunOne posted:

This might be the wildly wrong thread to ask, but is there a good way to archive files up to Azure?

We use Azure blob storage for backup, but those are usually big individual files. I'd like to upload an entire directory tree with the individual files left alone so people can access/browse them later if we need them, but still have them move to archive storage costs.

I only have Azure Storage Explorer and command line options, I cannot seem to get the file-store setup to work since we don't use AD attached devices and I'm not doing the whole VPN into Azure thing required to make all that work apparently.

As I understand rclone https://rclone.org/azureblob/ is the go to tool for accessing various cloud thingies

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Even though my machine is working fine is there a good reason not to upgrade to windows 11?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Even though my machine is working fine is there a good reason not to upgrade to windows 11?

Is there a good reason to upgrade? The default should be not to jump on everything that windows gives you a bridge to. IE do you use Bing? Internet Explorer? Whatever that new one is? Cortana?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I'm holding back for now but I heard the high-dpi display handling was better and that poo poo drives me crazy coming from a mac so I may switch soon!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

No drag and drop. Useless taskbar (meant for devices that run only 2 apps at a time).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FunOne posted:

When you say "I cannot seem to get the file-store setup to work" are you talking about Azure Files? Because that is probably what you want.
I don't see anything about requiring AAD in there but I could be wrong.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

When you say "I cannot seem to get the file-store setup to work" are you talking about Azure Files? Because that is probably what you want.
I don't see anything about requiring AAD in there but I could be wrong.

From what I can read I either need AAD for normal ACLs and everything else or I can mount it directly using storage keys. That of course means access is either all or nothing and for some reason it doesn't work. Probably a port blocked somewhere, but then we get into the VPN and I'm already done .

Rclone looks like it'll do what I want. I just need to be able to push the files somewhere else in case we need them later.

Might be able to get away with just pushing files into azure files via storage explorer and working out convient access later.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use Azure Files with Azure File Sync and run a small local cache on the File Sync server. But if you have zero AD infrastructure then this won't work, and there's not really an Azure-only product that will do this for you.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I have three screens hooked up to my computer, and more often than not I find that Windows sends all or most of my open windows on the primary screen to screen #2 for no discernible reason when waking up from sleep. Is there any way to get Windows to stop loving with window positions like that?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Badly Jester posted:

I have three screens hooked up to my computer, and more often than not I find that Windows sends all or most of my open windows on the primary screen to screen #2 for no discernible reason when waking up from sleep. Is there any way to get Windows to stop loving with window positions like that?

For me that happens because one monitor wakes up before the other, so Windows thinks it's only one monitor and adjusts.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I believe its a displayport thing, which you may or may not be able to verify by indicating what ports you're using. DP is my primary so it doesn't happen to me, or didn't when I ran another monitor

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
edit: stupid double post, sorry and see below

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 15, 2022

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Medullah posted:

For me that happens because one monitor wakes up before the other, so Windows thinks it's only one monitor and adjusts.

That's been my suspicion as well, but I have little control over how quickly the screens wake up, so I guess I'm hoping that there's a way to delay the reshuffle until all the screens are properly recognized.

codo27 posted:

I believe its a displayport thing, which you may or may not be able to verify by indicating what ports you're using. DP is my primary so it doesn't happen to me, or didn't when I ran another monitor

I'm using a wild mix between DisplayPort on the primary screen, HDMI and DVI for the other two.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This has been an issue with windows for years and I believe it's essentially a "Won't Fix" from Microsoft.

Windows 11 at least offers more one-click layout options other than "Full Screen, Half Screen, No Screen".

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

This has been an issue with windows for years and I believe it's essentially a "Won't Fix" from Microsoft.

Windows 11 at least offers more one-click layout options other than "Full Screen, Half Screen, No Screen".

Bummer they won't fix it, but in the meantime I've stumbled upon DisplayFusion Pro and its functions. You can set certain triggers such as locking the screen and unlocking it to do things such as saving window positions and restoring them, respectively. So if that's a pain point for anyone else, give that a shot.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Badly Jester posted:

Windows 11 is supposed to be better about this, but I haven't tried it on any multi-monitor devices yet. For Windows 10, the fix involves messing with some entries under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

None of the pages discussing this issue is as comprehensive as I'd like, but here's a good starting point. Basically, the idea is to make Windows use the same resolution for a given display regardless of its current status.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having a weird problem that just popped up out of nowhere yesterday.

If I have a remote desktop session running in the background, cutting and pasting no longer works on my computer. If I press "ctrl+X" on a line of text, it will delete it, but it never "makes it" to the clipboard (it does not show up in clipboard history and pasting it does nothing).

Due to my setup it's not feasible to keep closing remote desktop. Which I should not have to do anyway since this is a new glitch.

Obviously I tried rebooting and made sure I am all up to date (which I am). Googling for this issue is basically impossible.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I know it's not your issue but this sounds like something you could look into since it sounds like the something in the shared clipboard is loving up.

https://techtalk.gfi.com/copy-paste-working-remote-desktop-connection-whats-wrong/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

dpkg chopra posted:

I know it's not your issue but this sounds like something you could look into since it sounds like the something in the shared clipboard is loving up.

https://techtalk.gfi.com/copy-paste-working-remote-desktop-connection-whats-wrong/

I don't see rdclip anywhere in my task manager. Could that be why?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Love your username.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Love your username.

❤️ it came to me a couple of weeks ago and I finally pulled the trigger on it

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Badly Jester posted:

Bummer they won't fix it, but in the meantime I've stumbled upon DisplayFusion Pro and its functions. You can set certain triggers such as locking the screen and unlocking it to do things such as saving window positions and restoring them, respectively. So if that's a pain point for anyone else, give that a shot.

Fundamentally it's a problem with the monitor's power saving features when connected with DisplayPort. The monitor goes to too deep sleep, and as for as Windows can tell you have unplugged the cable. The problem with Windows is that it doesn't return the windows to the original spot when the monitor reappears.

With some monitors you can fix this problem by going to the OSD settings and disabling "deep sleep", or some other similar power save setting. Unfortunately many monitors lack this setting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't see that as a problem with the monitor at all, it's Windows being stupid and they've ignored fixing it for like 20 years. They should be smart enough to have some kind of cache of window positions and try to restore them where they should be when a monitor returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Saukkis posted:

Fundamentally it's a problem with the monitor's power saving features when connected with DisplayPort. The monitor goes to too deep sleep, and as for as Windows can tell you have unplugged the cable. The problem with Windows is that it doesn't return the windows to the original spot when the monitor reappears.

With some monitors you can fix this problem by going to the OSD settings and disabling "deep sleep", or some other similar power save setting. Unfortunately many monitors lack this setting.

It's also a graphics cards issue, I've had the issue with Intel integrated graphics, but not with an Nvidia card with the exact same monitors.

Also, pretty much all monitors work this way, the fact Windows still has this issue is ridiculous. Maybe Windows should handle all monitors disappearing at the same time when they are sent the sleep signal appropriately.