Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So did everyone else have to explain crypto to someone during the super bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bean posted:

I just had to explain why I had my pants off, same as last year

it's like they don't even read my shirt

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
What's great about M:TG NFTs is that when the big kids bully me at school for collecting them I can say "uh-uh NFTs aren't real :smug:" and then they would have to stop.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Every year I end up explaining why cryptocurrencies (and now NFTs) aren’t a great investment to teenagers but now I just tell the story of the shoeshiner giving stock tips more or less.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/NoahGarfinkel/status/1493044107790348288

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

upsidedown posted:

This is great. They make a whole thread about Wizards of the Coast being wrong and then right near the end basically say ‘by the way, I have no idea what I’m talking about’.

https://twitter.com/mtgDAO/status/1491939411277201410?s=20&t=XycMS0jUW9xb7kSnpAgohw

Love the new economy.

I absolutely love it when people who have absolutely no knowledge of something use "logic and reason" to disprove it.

I saw a video on reddit the other day with someone disproving that Earth moved through space by saying "NASA says Earth travels around the sun at 67,000 miles an hour. That's Mach 87! That's impossible, if we did, Earth would burn up from air friction."

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

BoldFace posted:

Zuckerberg's Super Bowl ad:
https://youtu.be/LcmAlpIp3oM

no butts in the metaverse? wtf is the point

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
NFT is the new Christianity, it's all about FAITH

LMAO

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

Hey Ya'll, just a friendly reminder that Crypto and NFTs are for heckin chud MAGAS

just a friendly FYI that when someone comes in with the 'friendly reminder that X' attitude all that does is make people have an immediate negative reaction against you regardless of the topic at hand or the validity of your position

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mozi posted:

just a friendly FYI that when someone comes in with the 'friendly reminder that X' attitude all that does is make people have an immediate negative reaction against you regardless of the topic at hand or the validity of your position

friendly FYI: oh word?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MechaCrash posted:

Wizards of the Coast tried "catering to the investors" via the Reserve list, which is a list of cards that they will never reprint.

They have called this one of the worst mistakes they have ever made.

If you want your game to have any kind of longevity, you need to prioritize the people who are buying game pieces over the ones who are buying investments.

that account also talks about how MMOs betray gamers by making existing content easier and more accessible as the game goes on and new content gets added

which, duh. after they've sold it to the poopsockers and whales, of course they're going to lower the barrier to entry so they can sell it to a bigger pool of casual players, while also rolling out newer and (temporarily) more exclusive content to sell to the poopsockers and whales again

but that's not good enough. the big whales don't want the new expansion to compress the grinding that they've already done, they want every expansion to extend the grind. they want newer content to continually target a smaller and more exclusive subset of the player base. the further they get in the grind, the more of a permanent lead they get over everyone else and the more inaccessible they become to any other players.

which, sure, I guess getting to stomp around a videogame being invincible King poo poo of Turd Mountain forever has some sort of appeal, but they never really stop to consider how it's supposed to attract new players to buy in so that they have someone to lord over. which is the whole crypto concept in a nutshell. "hey, if you give up using your fiat currency that I have a very modest amount of and start using this digital currency that I have a shitpile of, then I will be fantastically richer than you! wait what do you mean you're just going to go ahead and keep on using your fiat currency do you just hate progress or something? :saddowns:"

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

oops nevermind

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

friendly FYI: oh word?

Doubly so if it’s got this heckin yall poo poo with it

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Bean posted:

my mom asked me about it years ago, she works in a bank and some customer came in trying to shill it to everyone in the branch. i barely got started explaining it and she says "oh, its a pyramid scheme"

we laughed at the ads together, was a good time

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What's 'ngmi'?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ngma NFTs nuts

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

not gonna make it

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

I’m thinking probably “not gonna make it” based on the fact that they have an acronym for “we’re all gonna make it” and the fact that anyone dealing with this poo poo feels like they’re always the smartest guy in the room no matter what the topic is or the expertise of those present.

“Wow wizards you guys have been successfully running this trading card game for nearly 30 years, but you’ll never last of you don’t listen to me, internet rando who is offended when you ask me to stop violating your IP”

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Gutcruncher posted:

I’m thinking probably “not gonna make it” based on the fact that they have an acronym for “we’re all gonna make it” and the fact that anyone dealing with this poo poo feels like they’re always the smartest guy in the room no matter what the topic is or the expertise of those present.

“Wow wizards you guys have been successfully running this trading card game for nearly 30 years, but you’ll never last of you don’t listen to me, internet rando who is offended when you ask me to stop violating your IP”
Yeah, wagmi means in the cult, ngmi means outside the cult.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/02/3-6-billion-bitcoin-seizure-shows-how-hard-it-is-to-launder-cryptocurrency/

Quick overview of what's known about how the feds stole all those bitcoins from the very talented rapper lady

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

But Lord Satoshi said that all bitcoins were totally anonymous!?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Linking here too:

https://twitter.com/pmg/status/1493252213875085312?s=20&t=0ZKAAXFDLD0whamZBcVtwA

"Oh you say that Crypto is bad because it uses too much energy!? Well now I'm saying the same about you! Therefore no one will like you either! Buy my custom crypto scam linked in my profile and ask no further questions about why I care about this...."

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Video streaming actually does suck for the environment, and and measures should be taken to try and reduce its impact. It actually DOES something though, instead of burning coal for the sake of burning coal like some kind of Captain Planet villain.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Gutcruncher posted:

Video streaming actually does suck for the environment, and and measures should be taken to try and reduce its impact. It actually DOES something though, instead of burning coal for the sake of burning coal like some kind of Captain Planet villain.

also note that their numbers are based on an article from loving 1999, we all are using 56k modems and desktop CPUs with no idle throttling still, right?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

More importantly we also used CRT monitors which consumed hilarious amounts of power compared to LEDs.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
The whole play to earn thing reminds me of Final Fantasy XI where every rare spawn was bot camped 24/7, including ones with items that you needed to get into a top-tier party. Those bot campers were playing to earn. I wonder if any of them were around for the massive shift to the WoW model, and whether that informs their opinion on the commercial viability of play to earn mechanics.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

ymgve posted:

also note that their numbers are based on an article from loving 1999, we all are using 56k modems and desktop CPUs with no idle throttling still, right?

Not that this needs further debunking than just pointing at the date, but the figure was also about "package, store and move 2 megabytes of data", of which only one of these is done per video view, not to mention that ISPs maintain various levels of caches.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Crypto is great because we get to see the minds of MLM dupees going through the stages of grief in real time. Which I personally get off on.

They are still in the denial phase, pretty soon bargaining.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ryde posted:

The whole play to earn thing reminds me of Final Fantasy XI where every rare spawn was bot camped 24/7, including ones with items that you needed to get into a top-tier party. Those bot campers were playing to earn. I wonder if any of them were around for the massive shift to the WoW model, and whether that informs their opinion on the commercial viability of play to earn mechanics.

Once again, all crypto/NFT/Web3 nonsense boils down to "be there first, and be the boot". That goal of a game where you are the Item Baron is as far as any "NFT Game" pitch ever goes.

My GF's brother is a little weirdo who tried to talk up some NFT game he was "investing" in. I asked him what the game was about and he talked for 20 minutes about how the inventory system, economy, and item market for resale/renting would work. Nothing about the game itself. Not even the flavor of genre they would wallpaper over it at the end. Just straight econ stuff.

These people are so loving tedious and boring.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I remember years ago when I was a sad retail slave, someone coming up to me to talk about his incredible idea for a video game. The whole pitch was about how awesome it would be if you could spend real money on parts for your gun, and at any point other players can kill your and you lose it, or they steal it then you lose it forever.

He seemed to believe this was the coolest idea for a game, and not only that but it was such a cool idea that the game itself should cost far more than the 60 dollar standard.

My point here is, he absolutely is the type to every dime on crypto poo poo and 15 years later I still remember that weird loving guy and wonder what he was on

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

ishikabibble posted:

what the gently caress is an 'open source VTOL aircraft and air taxi protocol'

Corbin Dallas, big bada boom!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

I remember years ago when I was a sad retail slave, someone coming up to me to talk about his incredible idea for a video game. The whole pitch was about how awesome it would be if you could spend real money on parts for your gun, and at any point other players can kill your and you lose it, or they steal it then you lose it forever.

He seemed to believe this was the coolest idea for a game, and not only that but it was such a cool idea that the game itself should cost far more than the 60 dollar standard.

My point here is, he absolutely is the type to every dime on crypto poo poo and 15 years later I still remember that weird loving guy and wonder what he was on

And then they made Tarkov and this became a reality.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

how is anyone supposed to find floating torsos appealing?

seriously :wtc: were they thinking?

Facebook is extremely concerned that people might gently caress, or try to simulate loving, in their corporate-friendly metaverse. Floating torsos are presumably an effort in that direction.

Azubah posted:

It's like those ads in the back of comics where you could build your own hover car lol

The difference is that if you sent them money, they'd send you actual plans, and you could actually build one and it would sorta work (Mythbusters tried it, I think).

Mozi posted:

Truth

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Crain posted:

Once again, all crypto/NFT/Web3 nonsense boils down to "be there first, and be the boot". That goal of a game where you are the Item Baron is as far as any "NFT Game" pitch ever goes.

My GF's brother is a little weirdo who tried to talk up some NFT game he was "investing" in. I asked him what the game was about and he talked for 20 minutes about how the inventory system, economy, and item market for resale/renting would work. Nothing about the game itself. Not even the flavor of genre they would wallpaper over it at the end. Just straight econ stuff.

These people are so loving tedious and boring.

I had a friend in classic WoW who would just play the auction house market and nothing else, he started by trading worthless stuff and amassed a fortune by making smart trades/sales just because he enjoyed it and I know there are others out there who did the same. There is absolutely no way something like that would ever be achievable in these scam games, you need a massive investment of thousands of dollars for stupid jpegs to stand a chance instead of just playing the game and having the same opportunities as everyone else. I don't know if you can even call NFT focused games actual games, there is no fun involved because fun/gameplay/community is not the point, it's strictly focused on making "real" money. Just the concept of NFT money making games sounds stress inducing. In other games where you may get behind progression wise like WoW you can still catch up or at least still enjoy lower content but if you are playing some pyramid scheme type NFT game you absolutely need to be at the top of the pyramid or else you are "NGMI" and lose your investment. That's all assuming any of these scam games come to fruition when in fact 99% of them will be either rugs or hilarious overoptimistic failures that never get released run by people with no game design experience.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Crain posted:

And then they made Tarkov and this became a reality.

Oh drat did this nerd actually make his game a reality and I should’ve invested on the spot!?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gutcruncher posted:

makes me think of the goons who don't like one game or another and start offering commentary on what the developers could've done to make it better, but the game has sold 80 gajillion copies and has been receiving rave reviews

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Oh drat did this nerd actually make his game a reality and I should’ve invested on the spot!?

No it loving sucks and the "persistent world" of the game means that ever 6-12 months they have to wipe the servers and reset everyone to starting gear because power accumulates at the top badly enough that near the end of each wipe you have no hope of achieving any sort of goal in the maps. If they didn't do that they'd just end up atrophying their player base because when the top players are running around in nearly impenetrable body armor with camo that rivals the Predator's invisibility suit and guns that can snipe you from so far away you literally don't render on your opponents screen....it turns out people don't really want to stick around to play your game.

But it seems like an NFT version of that game would just not reset the servers to allow for an even playing field ever. Which, again, I could see someone liking, but it's a bad game design choice because even though "technically" someone with starting gear could kill the dude rocking SSS+ Diamond Tier guns and armor, it's really not likely. Especially if your game has no such thing as a "safezone" or tiered arenas for players who are new outside of tutorial runs that don't count towards progression, let you earn gear, or do anything but shoot at dumb NPCs to learn the basic controls.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Facebook is extremely concerned that people might gently caress, or try to simulate loving, in their corporate-friendly metaverse. Floating torsos are presumably an effort in that direction.

I'm pretty sure Rayman hentai exists, not to mention some other questionable limb based fetishes.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

I'm pretty sure Rayman hentai exists, not to mention some other questionable limb based fetishes.

That's why you can no longer come within 4 virtual feet of other meta players.