Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, some dweeb rear end nitpicks but lots of examples of bad siege pathfinding and some units getting frozen in melee. At this rate I might wait till AFTER work to play this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Omnicarus posted:

The ogres should've had a Big Texas/Southern accent. "Y'all hungry I'm starvin"

I agree with this sentiment.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the UI stuff seems fair even if it's not a big deal. Like this thread makes fun of people for pointing out stuff like that, but as long as someone's not histrionic about it I think it's plenty valid to have criticisms even of great games, and an hour long comprehensive review is exactly where that kind of criticism should be.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Mode 7 posted:

The stuff from the prior games carries forward if you own it right? In one of the game modes or something?

Basically what I want to know is if I can play as vampire pirates in TW:W3 cause that sounds great.

That's funny, I just started a Cylostra campaign for the first time and it might actually delay me installing TWW3 because VCoast is too much fun

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I think the UI stuff seems fair even if it's not a big deal. Like this thread makes fun of people for pointing out stuff like that, but as long as someone's not histrionic about it I think it's plenty valid to have criticisms even of great games.

The replacement of race-specific art for the occupation options with generic icons is the most disappointing one to me, the removal of all UI color-coding for everything being red can be pretty simply fixed by mods, but adding in good race-specific artwork for icons that would no longer fit the new UI, yeah not so much. That's unfortunate.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The UI complaints seem very fair. The General Redness doesn't bother me at all but I do think it's weird that they changed things like the skill colour coding or the dismantle/upgrade banner colours so that things are harder to read at a glance. It's minor but I do wish it wasn't like that.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Triskelli posted:

https://youtu.be/ZRJo3R3ANsw

Mandalore video right on time.

TLDR about the bad stuff:
Sieges are a mess.
Some serious bugs.
Some factions got more attention than others, Tzeentch especially he didn't like. Slaneesh is a problem because it relies heavily on cavalry and charge reflection is bugged. In general chaos factions don't feel fleshed out/diverse enough.

Recommends waiting, not buying the game because of its buggy state atm.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Has anyone seen if ogres have similar campaign victory conditions as the other races?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I hope the release build fixes some of the bagginess. I don't expect them game to be bug free but let's just hope it ends up being less annoying.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Fraser Brown wrote PCGamer's review

https://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-warhammer-3-review/

scored a 90.

I'm looking forward to the Three Moves Ahead episode. They said recently it might be a couple hours long.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You know, I wonder if the tutorial is a glimpse at what is envisioned for Three Kingdoms 2: 6 Kingdoms

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lucinice posted:

I hope the release build fixes some of the bagginess. I don't expect them game to be bug free but let's just hope it ends up being less annoying.

Well, the siege issues partly seem to be problems arising from design decisions and the AI simply not being that cut out to play within those, for instance in not being good at knowing what to do with minor settlement maps with multiple capture points and the defender building defenses that kill or block them along the way. And then they almost do better in walled settlements where they first have to attack the walls and are funneled a bit more clearly it seems like. So it's kind of difficult to just "fix bugs" there it seems like as it might actually be more necessary to reevaluate some of those design decisions, at least in part.

The animation bugging/not attacking/landing/maybe cavalry thing looks to me to be the most serious actual bug, and it's a doozy. Though I'd say it's hard to say how difficult it ends up being to sort out, we don't even know how long it's been in the game overall. Hopefully that one's given alot of priority, because this a very serious impact on the performance of alot of units, particularly those that rely on shock damage.

Charge reflect seems like it's just the ability not really working as intended for whatever reason, I'd guess to say it's not related to the above and is a separate issue.

Soem of the more serious lighting and texture glitches should hopefully just need a game-ready driver to iron out, and then hopefully the more minor issues get sorted out as well.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Randarkman posted:

Well, the siege issues partly seem to be problems arising from design decisions and the AI simply not being that cut out to play within those, for instance in not being good at knowing what to do with minor settlement maps with multiple capture points and the defender building defenses that kill or block them along the way. And then they almost do better in walled settlements where they first have to attack the walls and are funneled a bit more clearly it seems like. So it's kind of difficult to just "fix bugs" there it seems like as it might actually be more necessary to reevaluate some of those design decisions, at least in part.

Oh I totally expect the seige AI to be messed up for a long time. It seems like something they'll have to keep working on over the entire life span of the game.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I wonder if there's any chance of them scaling back the changes to sieges if it turns out they can't unfuck the AI. I feel like the compromise mentioned in the video of having supply before the battle but not ongoing additions to the battlefield as the fight is happening (which really does seem pretty arcadey) would be pretty reasonable for siege battles against the AI.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah graphic glitches are a whatever, the pathfinding is a big one but I didn't notice all that much in the streams I watched so we'll see. The fighting thing and the charge reflect are the ones that look really nasty to me, it seems like those sort of bugs are really hard to excise, we had to go through an entire beta patch cycle to sorta fix the cavalry in TW2. That said a new game has a lot more QA budget than a sunsetting one, I cope

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

OP posted:

Random:

- Kurt Helborg is the character that Andy most wants to see in the game
- Chronologically, the games go as in this order, 3-2-1.
- Something is going to be released very soon that will answer a lot of doubts, like what the other Gods of Kislev are up to.

These are all interesting things, there's a really good mod for W2 for Kurt Helborg already, but getting a legit version of him would be nice, so long as it also comes with the Emperor's Champion.

Interesting that the games are going reverse-chronological.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The cav stuff is especially frustrating because of how they feel in 3K. A red general's bodyguard hitting some archer militia feels exactly like it should. A max size 240-man unit will be scattered in seconds, and the cav actually charge without having to babysit them.

It's a shame how incredible TWW's animations tend to be while the battle engine feels like everyone's weightless.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 14, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I think UI criticism is a totally fair and valid point to make, when you make it like Mandalore. Unlike a lot of the Reddit stuff, he puts the downsides in a context relative to the rest of game, and not instantly into banging the table and asking to speak to the manager.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The cav stuff is especially frustrating because of how they feel in 3K. A red general's bodyguard hitting some archer militia feels exactly like it should. A max size 240-man unit will be scattered in seconds, and the cav actually charge without having to babysit them.

It's not really the same version of the engine though, so I don't think it's fair to expect the Warhammer and 3K engine and units in them to work the exact same way. Having seen that review and now thinking about some of the general landing and attacking animation issues that I've seen in streams and videos, it all kind of seems me that it's part of a wider issue, something that must have broken at some point, possibly late, in development. It's incredibly unfortunate and it's going to be frustrating to play with, but it's not meant to be like this clearly and I sincerly hope they already have some idea of where it broke.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't really understand the reverse chronological order thing. So are they are saying the squabble for Ursun is first, followed by big rats big plan, then the largely plotless original campaign?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Caidin posted:

I don't really understand the reverse chronological order thing. So are they are saying the squabble for Ursun is first, followed by big rats big plan, then the largely plotless original campaign?

The W1 plot was just Chaos invading bringing the End Times and you trying to stop it.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Caidin posted:

Well it makes sense to end the series on a Chaos invasion.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The W1 plot was just Chaos invading bringing the End Times and you trying to stop it.

I think even back then I'd usually squeezed enough fun from the board to call it quits well before Archie and pals showed up. Genuinely forgot about them.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Caidin posted:

It does make some of the plot hooks at the end of certain campaigns seem pretty pointless.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Has anyone seen if ogres have similar campaign victory conditions as the other races?

Yep, same thing. They wanna eat that bear.

I rolled my eyes at the UI complaints until now, but the construction and demolition timers both being red is pretty egregious.

Some fun random event things:
-Zhao Ming (and Miao Ying?) gets the option to just huff purified warpstone dust. Your faction is impressed with your moxie if you go through with it.
-Khorne gets a dilemma to implement mandatory castration or horny police. The Tzeentch cultist gets a voice line about castration. More mentions of castration than I expected from this game.
-Nurgle event where your forces discover the Brown Note
-Heralds of Slaanesh have a line about safe words and the lack thereof
-The quote for the Nurgle army ability Rot, Glorious Rot contains the word “smegma” :barf:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ethiser posted:

It does make some of the plot hooks at the end of certain campaigns seem pretty pointless.

I think it's best to just view that stuff as teasing potential future content rather than any of the games having a big interconnected canonical throughline. I feel like the main thing is just that in 3 the Vortex is still ostensibly in place, and the big End Times invasion by Archaon hasn't happened yet.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The chronological order of the games' campaigns matters about as much as the Zelda timeline.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Dr Christmas posted:

Nurgle continues being the best faction.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The story for Warhammer is everyone is fighting everyone forever.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Speaking of story, new ebook just dropped on Total War Access.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dr Christmas posted:

Yep, same thing. They wanna eat that bear.

I rolled my eyes at the UI complaints until now, but the construction and demolition timers both being red is pretty egregious.

Some fun random event things:
-Zhao Ming (and Miao Ying?) gets the option to just huff purified warpstone dust. Your faction is impressed with your moxie if you go through with it.
-Khorne gets a dilemma to implement mandatory castration or horny police. The Tzeentch cultist gets a voice line about castration. More mentions of castration than I expected from this game.
-Heralds of Slaanesh have a line about safe words and the lack thereof
-The quote for the Nurgle army ability Rot, Glorious Rot contains the word “smegma” :barf:

There's also the chance in Cathay factions for the Dragon Emperor & Moon Empress to show up incognito as cats. Which you can throw down a well.

Actually speaking of Cathay, I notice there's an additional flag for Cathay (the blue one) that doesn't seem to correspond to any of the factions. Is that just meant for Cathayan Rebels, or could it be for a future faction (*cough* Shen-Zoo *cough*).

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Legend's video review is taking awhile to render, so he hopped on a livestream and has been talking about it:

impressions from his comments
-better than WH2 at launch
-rates it an 8.5/10
-loves the game, hates the Realm of Chaos/Demon Soul mechanic of the campaign
-says you can basically ignore it/interact with it a little as you want with little consequence (Slaanesh's realm is the only one worth visiting), as there's no reward to finishing
-minor settlements good, major settlements bad

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Am I the only one who thinks talking about specific events before the game is out is a little spoilery? I know things are obviously more ambiguous when streaming has been the main way of promoting the game for the last month, but still.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dramicus posted:

The story for Warhammer is everyone is fighting everyone forever.
:aaaaa:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm very excited to play this video game. I'm going to recruit so much melee infantry and nobody can stop me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the good news for me is that I don't really like playing cavalry that much anyway so the charge reflect bug will affect me less than most people (especially if I pick my first faction knowing that's an issue so I don't eat poo poo with SEMs), and that I don't feel like I'm the defender in siege battles nearly as often as I'm the attacker, so if those are two of the biggest gameplay issues atm, I can probably live with that. Hopefully the day 1 patch can at least help a bit with the weird non-attacking behavior in battles though, because that seems annoying, even if it's obviously not totally ubiquitous or nobody would be talking about how the game owns.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Ethiser posted:

this makes it very warhammery

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Finished Mandalore's review and I'm pretty on-board with most of his complaints. I really hope the siege stuff he showed off was just bad luck or perhaps a funny prank CA decided to pull specifically on him because it didn't look that bad in any of Janet's videos.

Also yeah wow, the blood DLC is gonna be so much more aggravating this time considering what any base-game Khorne map looks like.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Also yeah wow, the blood DLC is gonna be so much more aggravating this time considering what any base-game Khorne map looks like.

It was always pretty insulting when they could have just made it a toggle, but yeah it's embarrassingly incongruous and greedy at this point to nickel and dime with that. It's obviously even worse if Mandalore's right about not having it loving up animations now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sinteres posted:

It was always pretty insulting when they could have just made it a toggle, but yeah it's embarrassingly incongruous and greedy at this point to nickel and dime with that. It's obviously even worse if Mandalore's right about not having it loving up animations now.

Blood DLC is free if you bought it for any of the pervious games. Also the reason it has to be separate is to keep the Teen Rating.