Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wish they'd taken more cues from how the actual Mods dressed. Have a weird mix of classy high culture suits and dresses, and baggy canvas bomber jackets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mandrel posted:

I guess it probably would have helped to have a quick scene/shot of them meticulously detailing their scooters in between action. but it also feels like the kind of thing you could really take or leave in editing and could just as easily assume the viewer doesn't need to be told. for all the complaining people have about "Show, don't tell," a lot of viewers very clearly want to be told

That's not what "show don't tell" means. Telling would be Boba having a line like "Those Mods, always cleaning their scooters".

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Butterfly Valley posted:

and their costuming being way too similar to irl fashion. The main one is just wearing a straught up leather jacket.

Is this like Finn and Poe wearing straight up leather jackets or han solo wearing straight up pants and a vest???

The main 2 mods are the guy who is wearing a japanese-kimono style shirt and the long coat that most of the others wear & Drash has the cut off leather vest that is highly customized with a paint job & various pins. I don't think any of this is "close to IRL fashion"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's not what "show don't tell" means. Telling would be Boba having a line like "Those Mods, always cleaning their scooters".

He gets it, the point is that the show probably DID need boba to do that so everyone would be like "ohhhh ok"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jerkface posted:

He gets it, the point is that the show probably DID need boba to do that so everyone would be like "ohhhh ok"

tbh, Fennec Shand is the series designated deliverer of exposition.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The mod kids were great. They were surprising and jarring given the context we've normally seen on Tatooine, but that's what was cool about them. They didn't want to dress like all the dirty people around them who've given up on themselves. They have pride. Mos Espa isn't just a pit of misery, there are people living there who have aspirations. And those people are punks who've chosen their own way, people who aren't satisfied with the status quo.

At least, that's how I immediately and emotionally read those characters. It's all visual shorthand, and I can see how it might not resonate the same way if that particular association doesn't come to you, because they only get a couple lines of verbal development.

Tatooine is an anarchic planet. This show was all about what power structures and cultures thrive and conflict with each other in a lawless world. "Crime bosses" are the closest thing to a government in the cities, all politics are based on personal relationships, people naturally band together and use force to take advantage of others, or to defend themselves. The Book of Boba Fett made Tattoine feel alive, mainly through a bunch of brief visual impressions. The Mods were a great addition to that tapestry.

Plus they were cool as heck. They dressed in black and had robot hands! Awesome!

They could definitely have used more development though. Showing them interacting with more groups would definitely have helped emphasize how neat they were thematically.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Foreground left is closest to/most evocative of the mods, I'd say it would be more successful if they'd leaned more that direction than the biker aesthetic.

I know I'm repeating myself at this point, sorry, I just find these guys interesting for some reason.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

It probably didn't help that the bikes they rode looked like something out of a Saturday morning kids show and any scene with them riding them was either embarrassingly slow and boring like that first chase that was mocked relentlessly or they were shot in a way that made it clear they were riding on a green screen. I was fine with their outfits and them as characters, but I don't care what you're referencing from real life with the bikes if your execution looks like absolute garbage and something I'd expect from a low budget Syfy show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The bikes being big and bulky like a jetski was not to m taste either. Not sure how, but it made them feel cheap

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sure, the mods were a poor execution of a better idea. But as far as the list of poorly executed things from the show, it's so far from the top of the list. Their goofiness barely even registers to me compared to, say, Boba's lack of clear motivations, plans, or opinions about anything that's happening.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Jehde posted:

"It's a reference to real life!" is a pretty weak defence of something in a sci-fi. Shiny mopeds stick out like a sore thumb on grungy tatooine, simple as. I kinda liked the explanation that they're rich kids from coruscant or whatever, but that didn't end up working out. Would've been better if they just did some more design passes on the mods instead of stopping at "what if a specific niche historical british sub culture, but hover scooters"

the defense of it isn't that it's a reference to real life, it's that it's not inconsistent with the universe or setting. the real life thing is just to illustrate a comparison

the counterpoint is that it's actually very cool

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Eiba posted:

The mod kids were great. They were surprising and jarring given the context we've normally seen on Tatooine, but that's what was cool about them. They didn't want to dress like all the dirty people around them who've given up on themselves. They have pride. Mos Espa isn't just a pit of misery, there are people living there who have aspirations. And those people are punks who've chosen their own way, people who aren't satisfied with the status quo.

At least, that's how I immediately and emotionally read those characters. It's all visual shorthand, and I can see how it might not resonate the same way if that particular association doesn't come to you, because they only get a couple lines of verbal development.

Tatooine is an anarchic planet. This show was all about what power structures and cultures thrive and conflict with each other in a lawless world. "Crime bosses" are the closest thing to a government in the cities, all politics are based on personal relationships, people naturally band together and use force to take advantage of others, or to defend themselves. The Book of Boba Fett made Tattoine feel alive, mainly through a bunch of brief visual impressions. The Mods were a great addition to that tapestry.

Plus they were cool as heck. They dressed in black and had robot hands! Awesome!

They could definitely have used more development though. Showing them interacting with more groups would definitely have helped emphasize how neat they were thematically.

hell yeah dude

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Eiba posted:

Apart from one guy using his eye once and another one inspector-gadget-ing his foot into a speeder, did they DO anything with their mod parts? Like, did Drash actually use her robot arm?
The mods were just one more of many interesting ideas that didn't actually pay off. drat it, the more time I spend thinking about this slapdash show, the angrier it makes me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I choose to believe that the fact they "didn't fit in" with the "everything is brown and tan" Tatooine aesthetic as a deliberate choice meant to tell us something about these characters who deliberately get conspicuously cyborgified.

That seems to make more sense than the notion everyone involved in production design forgot what tatooine looks like for exactly one set of characters/props out of dozens.

Like, literally every subculture of kids on earth goes to some effort to not fit in with anyone but each other. When I was in high school a million years ago the stoners wore ripped flannel and beat up henleys so they wouldn't be mistaken for the jocks in their jerseys and polo shirts. The goths, well, you know what a goth looks like.

Though I agree a little nod to the amount of effort they'd have to go into to keep a candy gloss chrome bike looking cherry on Sand World would have been good. But we didn't get a deep exploration of the titular character, let alone a cadre of supporting ones.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
The real problem with the mods is that they exist to fill out a part of Fennec's backstory, where did Boba find a Cyberdoc on Tatooine? Which of all the things the story could spend time on was not a question that anyone was asking. And now they're a part of Cobb's backstory as well, because we have this cyberdoc character now.

The shiny scooters are what people fixate on because that's the most obvious symptom of this weird underdeveloped subplot.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I like the space hot rods in aesthetic, good to have some colour. I think they're stupid because they go slightly faster than walking. Sometimes. Mostly not.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Boba: why the gently caress are you so slow
Mods: mate we just cruise around drunk on these

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

you'd think that if Boba is rolling in credits, he'd be able to hire more people than the Wookie and like eleven Mods

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

galenanorth posted:

you'd think that if Boba is rolling in credits, he'd be able to hire more people than the Wookie and like eleven Mods

Yeah tbh the weirdest part for me is that some other rando didn't roll in and slaughter him in the first episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

stev posted:

Yeah tbh the weirdest part for me is that some other rando didn't roll in and slaughter him in the first episode.

Rando Calrissian

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

galenanorth posted:

The whole set up is weird.

They even show it as a bustling place full of guards under Bib, so you understand kind of the scale of a Jabba's Palace operation.

Then Boba Fett, career hired gun turned gun hirer needs to be reminded if you have credits you can hire guns-- and still doesn't seem to do much but bring on a wookiee and the Kirkland brand Boba Fett who somehow surpassed him in the fandom.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The girl mod, who I assume has a name, was... Presented? Marketed? as being a major character and did she even have 10 total lines?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dave Syndrome posted:

Apart from one guy using his eye once and another one inspector-gadget-ing his foot into a speeder, did they DO anything with their mod parts? Like, did Drash actually use her robot arm?
The mods were just one more of many interesting ideas that didn't actually pay off. drat it, the more time I spend thinking about this slapdash show, the angrier it makes me.

Favreau needs to just hire this thread as consultants

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

mdemone posted:

Favreau needs to just hire this thread as consultants

a 50 minute episode with no A or B stories thats just exclusively exposition

just boba fett on a dark stage with a mic and a stool taking questions from the audience

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mandrel posted:

a 50 minute episode with no A or B stories thats just exclusively exposition

just boba fett on a dark stage with a mic and a stool taking questions from the audience

Swear to Christ I would pay to go to that show with Temuera in character

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He'd make it five minutes before getting a bunch of bois together for a haka.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Before he answer, he’s required to say “I ammmmmm Bobba Fett.”

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
And then somehow refer to Tatweeeeeeen, 'cuz I just love the way he says it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Is this Americans being weird about other accents existing again because sure he sounds kiwi, I wouldn't have thought it worth remarking on

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s not his accent, it’s the way he seems to hold certain parts of words to give them weight. It’s a particular cadence to his speech that, say, Sam Neill or Taika Waititi don’t have.

I think it owns though, I’m not knocking it at all.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, it's not accent, it's meter, like having a character who only speaks in iambic pentameter. I dig it, it is awesome and feels right for the character.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It is like he (the character) in the stickler that says "Ha-wah-ee" instead of "huh-why-ee."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He’s just loving cool, man.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
While the show has plenty of problems, I really like Tem in the role and it’s a shame to see people online dunking on him for his pronunciations or not being a ripped 30/40 something.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

While the show has plenty of problems, I really like Tem in the role and it’s a shame to see people online dunking on him for his pronunciations or not being a ripped 30/40 something.

Yeah he's wasted in most of the show but really shines in the Sandpeople scenes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Jedi have a weird habit of just shouting in dismay as someone dives backwards to their death as opposed to, like, force-pulling them. I get the dramatic beat, but dang if it doesn't come off a little absent-minded

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brawnfire posted:

Jedi have a weird habit of just shouting in dismay as someone dives backwards to their death as opposed to, like, force-pulling them. I get the dramatic beat, but dang if it doesn't come off a little absent-minded

I fall off a cliff. My Jedi friend Force Pulls me, so I have one final indignity of being smashed face-first into the side of the cliff before continuing on to my death below.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sure, but they're like "yo I'ma jump" and Anakin or whoever will be like "ah no!!! poo poo!" and then the person yeets themselves to the streets of Coruscant, seems slow on the draw

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

The Force is like a transporter in Star Trek. If you actually had characters use it like it clearly can, things get weird fast.

Like why even fight Grievous when you could just rip his arms off? A team of Jedi working together could literally dismantle him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I always loved it when the Jedi would team up to Force something-or-other in unison.

And how the Sith/Inquisitors sucked rear end at it and would cross purposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Sash! posted:

The Force is like a transporter in Star Trek. If you actually had characters use it like it clearly can, things get weird fast.

Like why even fight Grievous when you could just rip his arms off? A team of Jedi working together could literally dismantle him.

Or do what Luke did to one of the Dark Troopers and just crush him. They could, they just don't for the story.