Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dick Marcinko in shambles

So too are the devs of Rainbow Six expansion packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gonna buy Rogue Warrior on PS3

Lord forgive me

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lord forgive me

Why

Why would anybody do this

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

Why

It's a complete goat gently caress

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Convex posted:

Why

They need to refresh their swear collection

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Convex posted:

Why

I don’t own a good PC

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lord forgive me

I don't know what this is, and I looked it up and I guess I completely missed it when it was released, OR it's so painfully generic that my mind struggles to recall anything I might've learned about it back then.

Anyone remember Breach? That's my current go-to title for "came out, no one cared, died immediately" game. I only remember it out of sheer will to have an example of that kind of wet-fart game release.

I remember being hyped for it (when I pretty much only played on my 360). It was like a smaller Battlefield-type game with destructible environments that you could dynamically alter during gameplay. I played it a bit and then completely forgot about it. BF1943 was SO much better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know what this is, and I looked it up and I guess I completely missed it when it was released, OR it's so painfully generic that my mind struggles to recall anything I might've learned about it back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhL1bzZk0kU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That Witchfire news is like when I heard Strafe was going to be do procedurally generated levels.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Strafe hosed up the roguelike part too. It was bad all around.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Strafe hosed up the roguelike part too. It was bad all around.

It was incredible promotion for the System Shock remaster, though, because all I thought while playing it was how I should really give that game another shot.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I get the hate for roguelikes and procgen games buuuut Heat Signature is real good even if it's not an FPS.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

I get the hate for roguelikes and procgen games buuuut Heat Signature is real good even if it's not an FPS.

I don't think they're bad universally but when I play an FPS level design is a huge part of the appeal.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah absolutely, I think you kind of need a dungeon crawler-type game for it to work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't think they're bad universally but when I play an FPS level design is a huge part of the appeal.

Are you a fan of Void Bastards?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Are you a fan of Void Bastards?

It’s not bad but I found myself getting pretty bored with it a lot quicker than something like Binding of Isaac.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Gunfire Reborn is a decent roguelike FPS.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Eldritch was an FPS roguelike with fantastic controls and some really solid levels.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There are some okay FPS roguelites but the games seem to suffer from not being hand built a lot more than, say, Hades or Isaac do.

I’ve had enough mindless fun with Ziggurat 2 and Roboquest but I think if FPS games go hard into goofy roguelite systems like Isaac they get frustrating since your guns are bad, and if they focus on quality shooting it makes you wish it was just a regular game instead.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, I don't necessarily mind roguelite shooters (I loving loved Eldritch, for one), but the roguelite nature isn't necessarily the draw and it has to be pretty good to boot.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Barudak posted:

I played Honey in Quake and that was... weird. The second level was so much easier than the first it was kind of crazy, and didn't have the resource starvation mechanics the first did so I left a bunch of stuff I found behind because I assumed I'd be going through those rooms again but you don't.

I remember the second level being quite a bit more difficult than the first, especially with all the platforming on broken timbers/brickwork over death pits.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Just finished blood plus the add ons with the extra crispy mod. The endings of the add ons are kind of a let down.
The shareware episode of the game is so good that the rest of the game sometimes has trouble standing up.
Going to wait on death wish until it’s compatible with EC.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Powerslave is fun. I love ancient Egyptian settings for games and early FPS so this is really great to have such a quality port.

Is the build version worth bothering with? Is there a eduke32 or other modern way to play? Seems like the one on steam is DOS with dosbox.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Escape Goat posted:

Is there a eduke32 or other modern way to play? Seems like the one on steam is DOS with dosbox.

Raze has support for it based on PCExhumed and there's PowerslaveGDX, though I haven't tried any of them yet.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Heads up for Powerslave, the knife is loving amazing and you shouldn't use the pistol unless you have to

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Powerslave was surprisingly fun, and drat what a smooth port. The guns were great for the most part, although I sorely missed a shotgun. Loved the Ring of Ra.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Convex posted:

Heads up for Powerslave, the knife is loving amazing and you shouldn't use the pistol unless you have to

I dunno dude, on hard you get hosed up by bugs pretty easily

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Mordja posted:

The thing that made me start to side-eye was when they started talking about enemy levels and damage numbers and how much they liked Destiny.

Destiny's effect on the gaming industry is wild. There were so many devs/pubs that thought it would be the game that would dominate the industry and they tried to beat each other to the punch to be Destiny's #2.

I tried to play Destiny 2 on release but couldn't keep up with it due to work concerns. I tried picking it up again last year and it is the most hostile game to first time users I've ever seen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Destiny 2 actively seems to loathe new users and even its long term users, but its more successful than ever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That’s just how strong the core loop and gunplay is. Everything else about the game oscillates between halfassed and actively hostile, but the foundation has carried it through worse than this

They’ve gotten a lot better about catering to long time players and if you’re firmly embedded in it this year’s seasonal content has been quite good, but if you aren’t in you still only get a basic gameplay tutorial and then thrown to the wolves

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

I dunno dude, on hard you get hosed up by bugs pretty easily
On Hard everything fucks you up easily. That double damage taken is very noticeable; I breezed through the old EX version, but now I'm dying only slightly less than I did on Saturn my first time through. Doesn't help that I'm stubbornly sticking to not having checkpoints enabled (because they weren't there to begin with so clearly I can beat this without them :colbert:), I suppose. At any rate, Bastets were annoying to deal with on Saturn, but they're downright lethal now, which is a surprise.

I almost kind of wish there was some intermediary between Normal and Hard, where the new enemy placements are in but the double damage is not, or the double damage is in but the new enemies are not, and see how that compares.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bethesda Doom 1/2 ports just got updated to 1.0.9, anyone know what that was about?

e: looks like the "News" option from the main menu has been removed, presumably that means no more free content updates?

e2: it's still there in Doom 1, was it ever there in Doom 2?

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 14, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LE4bocTH0Q

This looks Thief-y enough so hey, if Gloomwood is posted here, I guess this fits too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
They don't come right out and say it but I think its a roguelike? Looks cool though, definitely wishlisted

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It has some roguelike elements, from what I can read, yeah.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/NewBlood/status/1493295839124795393?s=20&t=cauD2vTGrUdRJB_4BH6vUQ

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Amid Evil Champiom got gams woo doggy

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

new blood rules, i'm pretty sure the artist of those came to NBs attention after they drew some horny ultrakill fanart, and they ended up getting hired to do 2D art for all of NBs upcoming games

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

how it started

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1400089598730981386

how it's going

https://twitter.com/TreyPowell1964/status/1467230878057353219

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

gently caress that's cool as heck