Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"I’ll crash before I stop playing pikmin" - man who crashed while playing pikmin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AITA for being the executor of my cousins will?

quote:

My cousin is 38F and im 26F.

Cousin recently had a health scare-colon cancer runs in the family and her colonoscopy showed some bad results. Thankfully it’s not cancer, but she had surgery to remove polyps and it freaked her out that she didn’t have any last wishes written out. We had a talk over zoom where she told me that she’d be leaving everything to me in her will (I’ve been here beneficiary for years now) because she wanted me to follow her last wishes and they would make her parents/brother/boyfriend upset if they’re still alive when she dies and “all my money and stuff will make up for all the crap you’ll be stuck putting up with.” She laid it out that her parents/brother/boyfriend think she’s nuts for wanting to be cremated and have “all or at least most” of her ashes be spread at a beach. She also said I’ll be her power of attorney if she can’t make decisions for herself one day and went over what she’d want in that case too. I just said “okay, but try not to die anytime soon, I like you more alive than as dust on the beach!”

Her boyfriend doesn’t live with her, but was there when we were talking about this. He must have been listening because he flipped out and said “we’ve been together for 4 years and you don’t trust me?!” My cousin said she was choosing me because I’ve never said anything bad about cremation and she was worried he would just bury her if she left it up to him because he wants them “together even when they die” and she wants to “spend eternity on a beach somewhere nice.” They started fighting and she said we’d talk more another time and hung up.

The boyfriend texted and asked me to talk to my cousin. I said no. He said “you don’t need to convince her, but you can’t tell me you know her better than I do or that you care about her more than me.” I responded that he needs to stop texting me and sent screenshots to my cousin. He texted me and said I was “a rude child that doesn’t understand how important things like this are.” And then got my cousins parents involved and they told my parents who are now telling me I’m causing family drama and being a jerk for not even being willing to discuss the whole thing with my cousin again. My aunt and uncle said I’m just in it for the money because why else would I make everyone unhappy by doing this.

Lil reminder to everyone to get your poo poo in order before you die. Especially the lgbt babes whose families may not respect your gay last wishes. Goddamn, this pissy over getting cremeated?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Also the OP's wife's abuser is arrested and the OP seems to be doing a great job supporting her, its monstrous what happened, but its small bit of light that this poor woman has someone to help her and that its over.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for being the executor of my cousins will?

Lil reminder to everyone to get your poo poo in order before you die. Especially the lgbt babes whose families may not respect your gay last wishes. Goddamn, this pissy over getting cremeated?

Hey, I just had this conversation [about health care and post-death stuff] with my parents earlier this year. It was actually a really positive discussion about their wishes and dignity as they're getting older.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

therobit posted:

To me it depends on how many meals she is insisting he wait to eat while she takes a bunch of photos. If it’s an occasional thing then he’s an rear end in a top hat, but if she insists he wait until the food is cold for every meal then at a certain point sanity has to be restored.

My thought too - first thing that came to mind is the wife is an obnoxious instagram addict who started by taking pics of food on their dates then decided to turn that into a hobby. He’s probably been dealing with her annoying crap for a while & finally got fed up waiting for 20 min so she could get the “perfect pictures”.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for asking an employee who spoke at me kissing my girlfriend at a aquarium whether she speaks to straight couples the same way? And then continuing the question until she answered?

quote:

I took my girlfriend to an aquarium for Valentine's day weekend, they had an "undersea love" themed event in the evening. and when we were there I put an arm around her waist and kissed her on the lips. No tongue, no feeling each other up, it was literally the same kinda kiss I don't think straight people think twice about.

Anyway someone said kinda rudely "Hellllo there!" In a sharp tone. I figured it was some mom chastising her children or something, there were a lot of families around talking so it blended into the crowd noise. And it sounded really condescending like someone taking to a misbehaving child. Then again "Heeeeellllllo there" and someone was up in our space.

My girlfriend and I was like "Hello?" And the woman just gave us a look then continued walking along.

I found it super weird so I said "Excuse me, do you work here" and the woman said yes and pointed to her uniform. I said "Do you speak the same to all couples" and she acted confused.

I said "Can you please show me that your museum has a policy that employees must interrupt couples kissing?" And she acted confused again and said that she was just on her rounds... Which didn't answer a thing?

My girlfriend was giggling about it and I asked if perhaps her manager could show me a policy or confirm that employees were to interrupt couples kissing. It was starting to draw attention and she said that her manager was not at work that day. I asked her for that person's supervisor or their contact info instead, as I would like to confirm my understanding that kissing in the aquarium was not permitted at their Valentine's day event.

It was starting to draw attention and my girlfriend was just openly laughing as I tried to keep a straight face. I started to be a smartass and walked to the rules like "No flash photography, no selfie sticks, no tapping the glass, no running" and read each outlud and asked after each one 'Now this one doesn't say 'No kissing' - can you please help me understand what part of the aquarium policy you were trying to enact?"

She said that the aquarium had rules about appropriate behavior and I asked her to explain specifically what behavioral rule we had violated. She said "No PDA" and I said "Thank you, I will be happy to share that guideline in my review as I am sure it will be relevant to other couples that kissing is not permitted at the Valentine's day events" My girlfriend was laughing her rear end off and I was still trying to keep a straight face and play it serious

She said that was not what she meant and I said that I wasn't clear on what she did mean then, and if she wasn't able to clarify perhaps her supervisor could. Perhaps they could help clarify if the policy against kissing only applies to same sex couples, as that was my current understanding? She went off to find them but didn't come back lol.

I had been feeling kinda bummed because I know my girlfriend takes bigotry pretty hard but she wasn't able to stop laughing about it for well into the night which made it worth it to me.

Maybe the manager was actually coming but my girlfriends parents who had driven us there met up with us and wanted to head home soon so we didn't stay for more that a half hour after that.

AITA for playing stupid and trying to push the employee to explain why she'd interrupted us?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ooooook well.

Um.

Ok.

Can we make the next few posts heartwarming ones? Like, good ones? I feel we need it.
Sorry boss, I'm fresh out of feel good stories. Can I interest you in some schadenfreude?

I (37M) got a paternity test done and now my wife might divorce me over it, Help!

quote:

My wife (35F) and I (37M) have been married for 12 years. We have three kids and I always had this nagging feeling that our middle child wasn’t mine. Our oldest and youngest look just like me, but my middle child doesn’t. My wife has shown me a picture of her grandfather and he does look a lot like him, but he just doesn’t have any of my family features, he looks so different than anyone else in the family. I decided I wanted a paternity test to put my mind at ease. My wife got pretty upset when I brought it up because cheating has always been a dealbreaker for her, but I just saw that as all the more reason to get one done. I told her that if she had nothing to hide she should have no problem with getting one done. I tested my son and it turns out he’s mine.

I thought everything was fine, and I had my peace of mind. Except she told me she was going to take the kids and go to her parents for a while. When I asked why she exploded and told me that she was seriously considering divorcing me over this stunt. That she was furious with me for doubting her loyalty to me knowing how she felt about cheating and that she would never forgive me for what I put our son through, making him question his place in the family.

I tried to get her to see my side, that I just wanted to be sure, and that surely she could see why I'd question it when he looks nothing like me. She told me she would never forgive me for this, and that I hoped my foolish pride was worth the cost of my family.

She hasn't spoken to me since. I need advice on how to get her to talk to me and get her to see my side of the story and that it wasn't some attack on her character like she seems to think it was. I don't want a divorce!

TLDR: I got a paternity test on my middle child because he doesn't look like me, and my wife wants to divorce me over it

Update-Got a paternity test and now my wife might divorce me over it

quote:

So, it’s been a couple months now and I thought I’d update.

My wife finally agreed to a sit down with me a couple weeks after I posted, and as some of you said, she doesn‘t want to stay with me. We talked and basically it boiled down to she wants a divorce because I don’t trust her and think so poorly of her character that I thought she’d pass another mans child off as mine. She then said she’ll never forgive me for treating my son so abhorrently he asked why I hated him. I didn’t realize I treated him so differently, but apparently it was obvious.

I tried to defend myself, but she asked what I meant then, because no matter how I tried to dress it up, I accused her of cheating and treated our son like trash because he wasn’t my spitting image. She then brought up she wondered if I was projecting because only one of us ever had infidelity in their background and it wasn’t her. That stung, because while yes, I had cheated in two past relationships, I’ve never cheated on her. I said that but she said she’d never cheated at all, but that didn’t stop me from accusing her of it did it?

So now my kids won’t talk to me and my wife wants to divorce me. All over a paternity test.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
This one is contentious and splitting 50/50:

AITA for letting my sister sit on my lap?

Throwaway because my friends know my Reddit.

I (15M) have always been really close relationship with my sister (17F). She's my only sibling so growing up I got really close with her to the point we almost seem codependent. I never considered it weird or anything. But my girlfriend (15F) who I've been dating for 3 months told me It was weird how close I was with my sister. But I didn't think much about what she said everything was fine until yesterday.

Yesterday, I had some friends over at our house my girlfriend was also there. We were in my room playing board games. My room wasn't big enough to fit everyone, so the seating was cramped. So, my sister decided to sit on my lap she does it sometimes so I don't find it uncomfortable or anything. We decided to team up because I make a good team with my sister and we usually win. So, everyone had a lot of fun and me and my sister won at the end. Since we won my sister gave me a hug and kissed me on the cheek she does it all the time I'm used to it.

But when my girlfriend saw this she yelled ''WTF?'' I was like ''What?" she got pissed and told me that maybe I should date my sister instead because this is disgusting. I told her, ''What are you talking about she's my sister?'' But she didn't listen and accused me of incest even though I told her it was 100% platonic. It was so embarrassing all my friends were there. She left after that and I haven't talked to her since. I apologized to my sister for my girlfriend's behaviour. I think she overreacted over such a small thing. I don't care honestly if she breaks up with me I don't think this relationship is going to work out. So, my question is AITA for this? Thanks

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Sorry boss, I'm fresh out of feel good stories. Can I interest you in some schadenfreude?

I (37M) got a paternity test done and now my wife might divorce me over it, Help!

lmao hell yeah that's the good poo poo :thurman:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sisal Two-Step posted:

lol that last sentence just in case anyone wondered if he learned anything

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

When I went to school, the rule of thumb repeated by most teachers was that you should expect to spend 3 hours out of class for every credit hour, so a standard load of 15 credits would be 15 hours of class and 45 hours of reading/work/etc. 60 hours of school plus a job would have been a nightmare.

This was rarely actually the case, realistically it was 1:1 at most outside of exams or project due dates. A few semesters I took 20 credits and also worked ~20 hours a week, those were busy but by no means unmanageable.

This may not be accurate for engineering or hard science students!
late response here but, three hours of work for every hour of class isn't too far off graduate level work. My second time in grad school I treated studying like a full-time job, and if I'd done that the first time around I would . . . well, I'd have the same degree, but I'd be able to read Latin or something too.

Dazerbeams posted:

What if your partner is writing smutty alpha/omega fan fiction set in the Harry Potter universe? You gonna engage with that with a big ole grin on your face?
Harry Potter fan fiction should be illegal

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Throwaway because my friends know my Reddit.

I (15M) have always been really close relationship with my sister (17F). She's my only sibling so growing up I got really close with her to the point we almost seem codependent. I never considered it weird or anything. But my girlfriend (15F) who I've been dating for 3 months told me It was weird how close I was with my sister. But I didn't think much about what she said everything was fine until yesterday.

Yesterday, I had some friends over at our house my girlfriend was also there. We were in my room playing board games. My room wasn't big enough to fit everyone, so the seating was cramped. So, my sister decided to sit on my lap she does it sometimes so I don't find it uncomfortable or anything. We decided to team up because I make a good team with my sister and we usually win. So, everyone had a lot of fun and me and my sister won at the end. Since we won my sister gave me a hug and kissed me on the cheek she does it all the time I'm used to it.

But when my girlfriend saw this she yelled ''WTF?'' I was like ''What?" she got pissed and told me that maybe I should date my sister instead because this is disgusting. I told her, ''What are you talking about she's my sister?'' But she didn't listen and accused me of incest even though I told her it was 100% platonic. It was so embarrassing all my friends were there. She left after that and I haven't talked to her since. I apologized to my sister for my girlfriend's behaviour. I think she overreacted over such a small thing. I don't care honestly if she breaks up with me I don't think this relationship is going to work out. So, my question is AITA for this? Thanks

Maybe I'm the weirdo. Sitting in someone else's lap feels non-platonic when both parties have reached puberty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Why do men keep doing this.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The hug and kiss on the cheek is fine but I feel like her sitting on his lap might be too far? Its a little weird but I can see why its no big deal to them though. I feel like we need more examples.

The second he mentions a dryer though will make the decision for me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was primed for the flood of terrible family posts around Christmas, but forgot about the flood of terrible relationship posts on Valentine's Day.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

I think this one would have been fine if it was crowded to the point of lap sitting and his girlfriend wasn't there. Like dude, if its so crowded, have your girlfriend sit on your lap.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Sometimes I wonder if estranged parents forums are just full of trolls trying to make up situations as ridiculous as possible to see what they can get other posters to agree with. On the other hand this guy is Christian and apparently very dumb

quote:

My story goes like this. In 1996 I joined the choir in my home town church becuase I love God and simply wanted to sing, bass that is. I came into practice late each week due to my job. She began to to notice me in the croud of 150 other singers. Nearly 4nmonths later we finally met. I was married and so was she. Her husbnd was steril and my wifec ould not have children. We sharde our stories with each other. I went on home and so did she. Then 1 evening she asked me if I wanted to share babies with her by her egg donations. Instead of running home to my wife to tell her about this proposal, I went to have coffee with my sons mother the next day. That turned into the 9th of January of 1997. Our son was concieved on the 11th which just happpened to be her husbands birthday. BTW, he was in on the entire sperm donor plan from the start! Keep reading. Remember, I just wanted to sing YET…all she wanted was to find a man who looked like her husband so she could get pregnant and tell the world that she was having her mirycle baby after all. I could play uncle at family picnics and we woud never reveal our secret. Oh but do not forget that your sins will find you out!

Zoom forward to Xx xx, 2021. With the advent of the internet I was finally contacted by my son and within 2 months we finally met face to face for the 1st time.

Yes, my wife did indeed forgive me and was very supportive of the two of us meeting each other.

So…as a repentant and committed man, I have been walking very carefully with my son especially when it comes to relaying my faith in Jesus Christ to him and encouraging him too consider not allowing the destuction of the world to infitrate his young mind and life.

He told me tonight that he doesn’t need me in his life and that I am on the brink of him not wanting to speak to me any longer. The man that raised my son lived a compromising life and taught him to do whatever feels good at the moment. Makes sence since my son is only 24 years od and drinks likea fish, smokes drugs and already has 2 small children with 2 girs and is not married.

After 24 years of waiting to meet him he is about to be done with men duet o the biggings of letting unforgivness and bitterness poison his heart. Sure…I own my part while his mother isn’t sorry about anything that she has done and refuses to acknowledge any responsibility about lying to him for all the years of crazy living. I suppose that I am the safe parent to punish and it’s understandable yet it still hurts like HELL to hears him say he loves me in one breath then curses me and dishonors me with the other.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

trickybiscuits posted:

Sometimes I wonder if estranged parents forums are just full of trolls trying to make up situations as ridiculous as possible to see what they can get other posters to agree with. On the other hand this guy is Christian and apparently very dumb

I feel like I need a translation or maybe he's just speaking in tounges

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just wanted to sing and YET...my secret son smokes the drugs

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

quantumwell posted:

I feel like I need a translation or maybe he's just speaking in tounges

I was following along until the final paragraph just collapsed

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
The excuse of "they don't look like i expect" is always so weird because i feel i always saw friends baby/toddler pics and hair and eyes often changed. Sometimes skin would darken significantly. Like and that's not even including changes with puberty

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Bubblyblubber posted:

He hates everything that brings me joy.

I hate most the things that bring you joy too. Action figures? Rocks? A whole room full of neglected plants?

Crocheting is cool tho

These people should not be together.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
AITA FOR "CHOOSING" MY FUTURE HUSBAND'S DAUGHTER OVER MY NIECE?

English learner, throwaway account.

I(46F) am marrying my fiance (50M). He has a daughter 'Davina' (18F) from his previous marriage. I don't have any children nor do I want any. I have been with him for 11 years now. Davina and I are close, I love her like a daughter. My sister (45F) has a daughter Jess (18F). Now, it should be noted that Davina is an only child- she doesn't have any step or half siblings on her mother's side as well. This will be important later.

Davina and Jess used to be friends, they go to the same school, but when they got to high school they grew apart. Davina became popular. She made a lot of friends. Jess is introverted, she didn't like being in the crowd so she just stopped associating with her. She started making up excuses when Davina would ask her to hang out- just the two of them. My sister is a single mom, I would sometimes help her with Jess when she was little. She would come over to my place at times before she got into high school, but ever since she started avoiding Davina, she doesn't come over unless necessary. I have spoken to both Jess and Davina multiple times and both have confirmed there is no bullying.

When I got engaged, Jess asked me if she could have a part in the wedding, I said sure. Now I have asked Davina to be MOH and Jess to be a bridesmaid. Jess wasn't happy Davina was getting "a more important" role. Jess asked me to not give Davina a role at all, that she should be a regular guest, I said no. Sister called and asked the same thing, I said no to her as well. When I asked them why their reply was literally " I don't like her". A few weeks ago, D and I ran into them at the mall. Davina was attempting to make small talk with Jess but she just snapped at her. When Davina said " sorry I didn't know you were in a bad mood" my sister snapped at me about how Davina is being spoilt as an only child, how she abandoned Jess once she got her "flashy friends", how I am "enabling" Davina to let Jess continue "live in Davina's shadow. About how fake I am when I speak to D's mom when I meet her at school games. She said this was harming Jess's mental health. At this point Davina excused herself and called her mom to pick her up.

Sis said, if I continue having a relationship with Davina, she and Jess will no longer want a relationship with me. When I reminded her that she would be my stepdaughter soon, she said she wants me to be civil with her and not trying to be her second mom. She said it was time I returned to "our" family instead of a random teenager. I said she and Jess were my family but I also chose Davina to be my family when I chose to be with my fiance. Jess started crying, people started staring so we just left. I don't know what sis told everyone but now a lot of family members have blocked me. My parents and fiance are on my side but Davina has started spending more time at her mom's.

Have i been unknowingly cruel to Jess? Should I take some time to just focus on jess? AITA?

Edit: Spoke to mom who spoke to sis. Will be meeting sis after work.

UPDATE:

Didn't get a lot of attention, and I don't know if anyone will see this but here is what happened.

Thanks to everyone who told me to speak to sister. I called my mom a few hours after I posted original

I spoke to my sister 2 days ago. Apparently the issue between the girls was a boy. Yes, a boy. Jess liked him during freshman year, but he didn't like her back. Junior year he starts going out with Davina and they are still together. Jess asked D to break up with him without giving her a reason to do so, and got upset when she didn't. Seeing Jess upset, sister also asked Davina to break up with him one day after showing up where Davina works. Yes, she cornered a kid during her work. Davina laughed in her face and said no. Other than that she herself admitted D has done nothing to them.

And those of you who said she wanted money, you were also right. My sister and Jess were under the impression that I would offer to pay for Jess's college. I was surprised and when I asked why her response was "because we are family and you are helping with 'a random person's' college". I am only paying for Davina's books. My fiance and D's mom are paying for everything else because she is not eligible for scholarship because parents have a higher income. At this point I was angry and told her I would have offered to pay for Jess's books as well but now I am not giving her a penny. Sis looked horrified but I left before she could say anything.

Later someone added me to group chat with family members who had earlier blocked me. They said I had strayed from family and I should come back to them. That I can make it up to them by fully paying for Jess and her brother's college. I left the chat and blocked them all. Won't be talking to them anytime soon.

Earlier today, I spoke to D's mom, she agreed to let me pick her up from work. I spoke to D, took her to dinner, explained everything. She was happy. Apparently sister had told Jess she was meeting me, and Jess cornered her at school and told her I wouldn't want her in my life anymore. Davina was relieved to know it wasn't happening. She will be coming here tomorrow.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

trickybiscuits posted:

I love the double whammy of judging his son and the kid's dad for doing whatever he wants when ultra Christian moral compass man cheated specifically to make a secret child and lied about it for 24 years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Charles Get-Out posted:

I love the double whammy of judging his son and the kid's dad for doing whatever he wants when ultra Christian moral compass man cheated specifically to make a secret child and lied about it for 24 years.

Well he just wanted to sing.

Did that kid want to sing?

Probably not

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CharlestheHammer posted:

I was following along until the final paragraph just collapsed

in brief
-OP is a wholesome moral christian man with no flaws
-he meets a woman at church, both are married with infertile partners, she asks him to impregnate her, to which he agrees with no reservations
-lady gets pregnant, OP never tells his wife, and plays the role of creepy uncle at family events i think, that last bit is unclear
-24 years later, son contacts the OP, having learned that he is his biological father
-OP says sorry, his wife forgives him, and since he repented he is once again an authority on morals and ethics
-OP finds his son's moral character to be lacking and tries to inspire him to virtue (little context for this is given, but it's pretty obvious what kind of "virtue" OP preaches)
-son calls OP a filthy hypocrite and goes low contact, making clear that it will be no contact if OP doesn't stop to reflect on his attitude
-OP wisely concludes that this is the fault of his son's mother and her husband, and also society at large, but not that of any other parents his son might have

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for revoking my wife's access to my car?

quote:

I (36M) love my wife (32F), she’s awesome. Our relationship is solid; but she’s a very different person than I am.

I am, by nature, an organized and process-oriented person. I work as a project manager and my life is focused around structure, planning, deadlines etc.

My wife is the opposite. She’s a creative type with a great career in advertising. Nothing about her life is organized, everything is haphazard and somewhat chaotic… but this is what makes her good at her job, I understand and accept that and have done since I fell in love with her. We’re different and that’s a huge part of her awesomeness. She is cool and exciting and brought new things to my life. I love that.

The issue: we both have cars, my car is newer and has better tech but they’re similar, BUT I keep my car clean and tidy all the time. Her car is a mess, garbage, empty coffee cups, poo poo rolls around when driving etc. She hates dealing with it. And because my car is “nicer” than hers, she prefers to use my car.

3 weeks ago, she’s going to a friend’s place up in the woods (5 hrs drive) for a girls weekend. I am going out for the weekend skiing (3.5 hrs), we’re both leaving at the end of work Friday. At 4:00pm my wife is done and she leaves. Love and kisses etc :) When I finish at 7:30pm, I’m antsy to get going – I go to load my gear, but when I get outside my car is gone, and hers is on the driveway. I thought, WTF? Did she take my car?

I call her and we have a fight because I am pissed. I have a ski rack on my roof and the gear doesn’t really fit in her car. But she’s already 3 hours into her trip up north. I don’t want to ruin her weekend by making a big deal about this… so I suck it up.

There’s no gas in her tank (as usual), so I get gas and as I leave the gas station I get pulled over. I am just loving pissed at this point. Cop asks for license and registration - which I am already looking for and can’t find. There’s tons of papers and receipts and all sorts of random poo poo in the glove box and center console… I can’t find it.

Cop: “I pulled you over because your license plate tags are expired.”

Cop: “This vehicle is registered to [wife’s name] of [previous apartment address]” (she hasn’t updated her registration)

Cop: “There’s also unpaid citations on this vehicle. I have to inform you that I am impounding this vehicle”

The cop writes up a ticket, calls a tow truck and tows it to the pound.

Since then, we have had a couple of huge fights about this. I feel that she needs to be more organized, starting with keeping her car legal. To force the issue, I have revoked my wife’s usage privileges of my car until such a point that we’re on more of an equal footing… and she is MAD about it. I am not prepared to budge on it until she takes care of her car situation.

So, give it to me straight. Am I being an rear end in a top hat about the car?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You'd think the most outlandish thing would be siding with the guy who controls his wifes car access, but its actually that he's a project manager who can manage projects

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Wife went from "free spirit" to "irresponsible, colossal dick" in a few sentences

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for revoking my wife's access to my car?

The "messy unorganized person" could be a lot of things but high on the list is ADHD or similar, and there's no shortage of people who refuse to make an effort to improve.

AITA for not telling my wife of 7 years that I have ADHD before she filed for divorce?

quote:

I actually hate myself for this. I screwed up badly.

My wife and I were in the process of buying a home and we had an appointment with our agent to tour some homes for the day. My 9 year old daughter was home alone because they had to do virtual learning for school. We didn’t learn what happened until our daughter called us from the police station which was I think 2 hours after we left. When we came back, we found that the door was wide open, house was ransacked. Our TVs were gone. Our computers that we use to work from home are gone. Our game consoles were gone. We pretty much lost everything. My daughter was gone. When my wife asked if I locked the door before I left, I had to tell her the truth, that I forgot to lock the door before I went into the car. We were already late for our appointment, and my wife was yelling at me telling me to hurry up and grab the paperwork, and to stop fooling around and how I’m taking too long to get anything done.

She blew up on me for losing our work equipment and our kid who turns out ran off to the police station which was nearby who then called us and that someone was near our house and likely saw me not lock the door(according to the neighbors) an hour after we left and came back with a group, they just opened the door and got in and my daughter ran out before they saw her. She forgot her phone which was stolen too.

My wife was yelling at me for two hours about the whole thing and no amount of I’m sorry made it better. I really am sorry. Something bad could have happened to my daughter. She yells at me all the time. I bought an iPad out of my savings because it was on sale and she told me to return it because we didn’t need it and i forgot at the time we were saving up for a house. I returned it because I couldn’t stand to disappoint her. One time I left our Keys in the ignition when I went grocery shopping, and forgot an item in our shopping list anyway. One time I forgot to pick up our kid from day car and we accumulated $300 in late fees because I was too busy playing league of legends.

My wife told me she’s had enough and she’s tolerated my poo poo for years but endangering our daughter was the last straw and she is filing for divorce. I was devastated. I couldn’t process in words how I felt. I didn’t leave my bed for days.

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 17 and I never told my wife because I didn’t want her to hate me and leave me. Well. I think she and my kid hates me now anyway and for good reason.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my girlfriend it’s weird that she wants to name our son after her dead ex boyfriend

quote:

My (31M) girlfriend’s (30F) ex boyfriend passed away 7 years ago from sickle cell disease. They shared a son together who is 9 years old, I adore him and look after him like he’s my own.

As for us, we began dating 3 years ago and everything has been going really great. She is currently 6 months pregnant, we are having a boy. We’re both really excited but there is tension between us because she suggested that we name our son after her ex boyfriend. Which I instantly said no, that’s definitely not happening. So she then asked if it could be his middle name then because it would mean a lot to her. I told her it’s extremely weird because our kid has absolutely no relation to her ex boyfriend and it’s offensive to me to have OUR son named after a dead guy that she use to date. She got all lovely with me and said I was disrespectful and wasn’t taking her feelings into consideration blah blah blah and then told me to remember “that dead guy she use to date is the real father of her son.” I don’t think it was fair to rub that in my face. So now we’re both pissed off with each other.

I genuinely think it was out of line for her to even ask me that not to mention inappropriate.

AITA?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I found another one, for the Dr. Phil aspect and maybe the guy literally gave up his parental rights? But mostly the attitude that Dr. Phil absolutely had to get in touch with the daughter

Or, maybe the dad was the one who contacted Dr. Phil to try to get on the show with her? Who knows.

quote:

My daughter is almost 25. Divorcing her mother was a rough one 23 years ago. Its been years of frustration, tears, money, attorneys, custodial interference. The last time I attempted to reach out to her was answering a Dr Phil email for help. Ive tried multiple to reach out to her but in 2013 my daughter sent me an email stating, “you gave up your parental rights long ago. Dont bother contacting me.” The email to Dr Phil was answered the first of September 2021. His producer emailed me asking for details and info to contact my daughter. I never had my daughter’s contact information and she blocked me on Facebook. Another friend sent me a screenshot of her FB. Dr Phil’s producer used that to message my daughter through FB. Next thing I found out was she contacted my local police department requesting I stop any attempts to reach out her or stalking charges with a Protection Order would be filed against me. I immediately contacted our local police and asked them to contact my daughter and tell her to NOT contact me ever.

It was the straw that broke the camel’s back. My own flesh and blood calling police on me was too much after my attempts as a parent to reach out to her even through a third party .

Im done. My daughter is dead to me. Years of rejection and heartache have caused many bouts of grief and depression.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

trickybiscuits posted:

I found another one, for the Dr. Phil aspect and maybe the guy literally gave up his parental rights? But mostly the attitude that Dr. Phil absolutely had to get in touch with the daughter

Or, maybe the dad was the one who contacted Dr. Phil to try to get on the show with her? Who knows.

I quit being your daughter!

Well actually you’re fired :smug:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

trickybiscuits posted:

Im done. My daughter is dead to me.

Don't threaten her with a good time!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA For Not Giving My Parents "Equal" Time With My Child?

quote:

Throwaway Account

I (35m) have a tense relationship with my parents that mostly stems from when I was in. Because when I was in high school my parents sat and and my sister "Betty" (37f) that they had college funds for us but with strings attached, in order to get our college fully paid for (4-years) we'd have to go to a state school, maintain a 3.0 GPA, allow them access to our grades each semester as proof of our GPA, to keep our nose clean, no getting in trouble with the law, and they'd have to approve of our majors as they didn't work hard for years and save for us to blow it all away a fruitless career path. In addition they would also give us a monthly allowance to use however we saw fit.

At the time my sister and I agreed to those terms and our parents helped up pick out our schools. My sister was always into STEM so she had no problem picking out a major that suited their tastes. When it was my turn I was on the fence as none of the majors I knew my parents would have approved of interest me in the long-term. I was allowed to spend my first year as "Undeclared" so I could knock out my Gen-Eds but during the summer my parents told me it was time to pick a major. I broke down and admitted that my passion wasn't in STEM and begged them to allow me to do what I wanted.

My parents responded with "these are the terms" and cut me off while my sister berated me for trying to "scam" mom and dad. Without my parents support I was had to work two jobs while going to school part-time. It was rough and I didn't actually get a job in my field of study (that paid me enough to be my sole income) until recently but still felt proud of myself. I got married to my wife "Rose" (32f) and we were trying to save for a house when the pandemic hit. After burning through a huge chunk of our savings I asked my parents for a loan that I intended to pay back. My parents said that before they would even consider it I would need to give copies of my and my wife's bills, paychecks, etc..

This was so humiliating and hurtful because I've never had a history of not paying people back nor have I ever asked my parents for money since college. Their response? "these are the terms." I almost gave in when Rose discovered she was pregnant, but her own parents gave us the money we needed and I got my new job. We were so grateful that we let Rose's parents pick the middle name.

Fast forward to now, my parents are meeting Lea in-person for the first time but understandably Lea wasn't feeling them too much. Dad suggested that they come for Christmas but Rose and I were already going to spend Christmas with her parents. My parents argued that Rose's parents already got Lea for her first Christmas and that it was "their turn." I told them that Rose and I get final say on Holidays. My parents responded with how unfair it was and I said "these are the terms." After my parents left Betty called me up and said that I was being a petty AH. AITA?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dramatika posted:

I quit being your daughter!

Well actually you’re fired :smug:
And Dr Phil agreed to track her down. Hope the daughter got an order against his people, too.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cythereal posted:

Why do men keep doing this.

These ones sound like the male version of those stories where we get some woman listening to her idiot friends about ways to "put her man to the test" and then destroying their relationship by acting like some romcom nightmare.

Point being whenever I read these I instantly imagine a group of douchebags hanging out with the OP at the bar pool table, hooting about DONT TRUST THAT BITCH BRO from under their snapback.

Grape fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 15, 2022

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

lol that last sentence just in case anyone wondered if he learned anything

Thank gently caress he hasn’t, makes it less likely he’ll sucker some other poor woman into being with him if he doesn’t know how to pretend to not be poo poo.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA For Not Giving My Parents "Equal" Time With My Child?

Whoa stem Betty, what a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

there are all sorts of people in the world

AITA for snapping at my coworker for making fun of me wearing a seatbelt?

quote:

I’m currently at work on lunch writing this. I think it’s ridiculous but apparently I’ve done something wrong.

This morning I left to go to the post office as one of my coworkers arrived. I stayed in park when she pulled in next to me so she could get out, when I cracked my window to say hello she asked where I was going and I told her. She then laughed and said “you’re wearing a seatbelt just for that?” I didn’t know what to make of that so I rolled up my window and left.

After I got back she stopped by my desk and said “the post office is less than a mile away, why would you bother putting your seatbelt on? I never wear mine.” I replied that I always wear my seatbelt and gave her kind of an odd look, she just rolled her eyes and walked away.

An hour or so later when we were on break she again brought it up and was making fun of me to our other two coworkers standing there, saying “oooh look at me I wear my seatbelt for a 30 second drive.” I was annoyed at this point and said “I’m sorry do you have some sort of problem? Wearing a seatbelt is a completely normal thing to do.” She got upset and went back inside, no one said anything and we talked about other stuff for a few minutes then went in.

My manager called me into her office and said my coworker was crying in the lunchroom, apparently I insinuated she wasn’t normal and since she has anxiety and depression she felt it was an attack on her mental health. I mean, okay I’m sorry she has mental health issues but so do I and a lot of other people of varying seatbelt compliance. I wasn’t saying anything about her mental health, I was annoyed that she kept bothering me about something completely out of the ordinary. Manager said we’d have to have a meeting later this afternoon, I said fine but that I thought it was unnecessary.

One of my coworkers agrees with me but says I was a little mean, I could have just asked her to stop. I guess I could have but I also felt that it was such a bizarre thing for her to be needling me on that I snapped at her.

AITA?

Edit: messed up a phrase

Update: coworker went home early and my manager said the whole thing was stupid so I’m not in any trouble now 🤷🏼

quote:

She’s mid-late 40s I think. But she’s also anti vax/mask (shocking, I know)