Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I like how disney-era artoo shuts down when he's sick of all these star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Asohka episode has a samurai duel happen at the same time as a cowboy standoff, what's not to love?

Still disappointed they missed the opportunity to talk about the old Jedi Order and how their practices weren't really so different from the Mandalorian way, especially Din's.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mando episodes can be skippable, but it's fun even when it's not "plot relevant". Serialised fiction is fun. I'd rather keep the blend close to 50:50 standalone/overarching stories. I am not looking forward to S3 being a Game Of Thrones "who gets to be the boss" story.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Turns out that you can drastically improve Manderlorian by skipping 60% of the episodes, while still retaining a fully coherent narrative.

(I’m partway through Booker Bober and that percentage will likely increase, because woof.)

SMG-Canon removes Gina Caramo entirely, along with most fanservice and ‘canon’ stuff.

I honestly thought you'd never bother watching it

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Disregard plot
Discard the lore
Acquire Vibes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I don't understand skipping episodes for shows where a season is <10 episodes. Like if you're at that point you probably aren't that interested in the show so why even watch any

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Also how do you know you haven't missed anything good

"Haha, the whole show is so bad I can't have missed anything good because I haven't SEEN anything good"

Well then, why watch it at all

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I only say skippable personally to mean that if you happened to skip one, it wouldn't prevent you from enjoying a later one. Not that you should, because yeah that's weird.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TCW is a series of short movies cut into episodic arcs; you can skip several episodes without missing much, depending on what character(s) you feel like watching at any given point

Rebels is more tightly-focused and episodes that feel like filler tend to find amusing ways to come back, whether it's a horrifically gaudy TIE fighter, or a flock of space-whales

Resistance gets a little harsher in hindsight since episodes that feel like they're going to have payoff later simply don't because the series got canned, and those episodes suddenly become (largely) irrelevant, although the characters from them continue to make appearances, even if the story they're telling doesn't

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

YaketySass posted:

I honestly thought you'd never bother watching it

Neither did I, but there’s been a bit too much “the ST is poo poo” discusso lately, and it’s not terribly fun.

Prequel-hate was a bounty of lols, because of the extreme tension between the objective high quality of the movies and the intensity of the nerds’ ideological dislike of them. With the ST, you have a near-opposite situation where the films are completely botched and no-one likes them. Even the nerds are left halfheartedly repeating the same four or five phrases from the old Culture Wars. It’s obligatory; We’re only talking about the ST at all because it was overwhelmingly advertised.

With Manderlorian, it turns out that the first three episodes add up to a perfectly self-contained feature film. I strongly advise that folks watch up to there and just stop. You might be hooked and wanting to know “what happens next”, but that’s a trap - the answer is just ‘endless content’.

But, even though the series as a whole is expensive-but-mediocre, I’m hoping to pare it down to another solid film by eliminating episodes that are dull, plotty, and/or teaser-heavy.

And I’ve had some pretty good success so far. After the three-episode ‘pilot’, you can just watch 6, 10, 11, 13, and Book Of Boba 5. The resulting ‘movie’ is effectively just the chill adventures of Space Batman.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

2house2fly posted:

The mention of "coloring book" that stuck in my mind is from about halfway down this page, linked to the full page for some context

i miss harime nui. they were a good poster

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

And I’ve had some pretty good success so far. After the three-episode ‘pilot’, you can just watch 6, 10, 11, 13, and Book Of Boba 5. The resulting ‘movie’ is effectively just the chill adventures of Space Batman.
Why would you skip a bill burr episode

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I know fan edits get a lot of hate, but I think this would make for a very sharp flick. Sure, you're also missing out on some great moments and characters and vibes here and there, but Star Wars just doesn't need to be seen as sacrosanct when there are already half a dozen shows in the universe with half a dozen more on their way. Missing some of it is fine. It's like missing an episode of Xena. If you're a big fan do you want to catch them all? Sure! But it's not strictly necessary if not.

I recently caught a fan edit that combines Rebels and Clone Wars episodes to make a Mandalorian Civil War movie and it was a terrific way to experience that story. I'd love to see more of this sort of thing in the ever expanding Star Wars Show that are these collective live-action shows. Someone should cut together an Ashoka show with all her existing appearances, and an Obi-Wan show with all his existing appearances. It would be a very cool way to revisit this universe from a new perspective certain point of view.

Should that be anyone's first viewing of the material? Depends on what you want out of it. If you're someone who doesn't care about vibing in Mos Espa and want to watch something with a decent story, I'd argue that it's a perfectly acceptable way to view this stuff for the first time. It would be perfect for your pal who likes Star Wars but isn't going to sit down and watch 40 hours of content outside of the films. And hey, if they like it they can always watch the other episodes, too. Again, it's not sacrosanct material here.

There's a 6 movie Clone Wars fanedit that cuts it down to the main story without the fluff or some of the more derided moments. I think it would be a great experience to watch the show for the first time this way, though you'd be missing out on a lot of those vibes. I wouldn't fault anyone for criticizing this story-first approach, but I think it's a totally valid way to absorb this material.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 14, 2022

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Prequel-hate was a bounty of lols, because of the extreme tension between the objective high quality of the movies and the intensity of the nerds’ ideological dislike of them. With the ST, you have a near-opposite situation where the films are completely botched and no-one likes them.

I mean I like the PT for what it is, but... what?!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I would've thought TLJ at least would've been right up SMG's alley. :shrug:

Lmao skipping by far the best episode in the series (the krayt dragon one) in favour of the the egg eating one.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I mean I like the PT for what it is, but... what?!

truth hurts doesn't it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Welcome... to the Eternal Prequeldome

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

feedmyleg posted:

I know fan edits get a lot of hate, but I think this would make for a very sharp flick. Sure, you're also missing out on some great moments and characters and vibes here and there, but Star Wars just doesn't need to be seen as sacrosanct when there are already half a dozen shows in the universe with half a dozen more on their way. Missing some of it is fine.

There are some good scenes here and there, but the show as a whole is mediocre because the following things are butt:

-Gina Carano’s entire character/plotline, even before she was milkshake duck’d.
-The villain and his stupid villainous plot.
-The Boba Fett season.

By cutting that stuff out, you have a show where Werner Herzog put a curse on this bulletproof guy and now he‘s stuck wandering thru space, low on money and options.

stev posted:

Lmao skipping by far the best episode in the series (the krayt dragon one) in favour of the the egg eating one.

The “let’s all work together” stuff is kinda banal, and I really don’t see why the dragon had to die.

The best Manderlorian episode is Boba 5, where they’re just hanging out doing weird cool poo poo.

Also the egg episode fuckin rules.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 15, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s crazy they got Herzog to participate

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's cool that they were able to manage one good season but only because the execs were too busy micromanaging something else *and* herzog happened to guilt them into keeping baby yoda a puppet. The worst people have the best luck

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I love the horror vibe of the egg episode.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

This has got to be one of the worst assignments apart from the guys who have to stand next to where the Death Star laser comes out

How long is their shift? How do they get up and down? What if they need to pee?

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Honestly, I like watching Pedro, Ming and Temuera doing cool poo poo together.

It's when they try to do a plot that it falls apart.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I'm glad episode 5 of boba show is getting universal praise. it is my platonic ideal of a perfect star wars show. Bring a head to dinner, cut yourself with a lightsaber, fly commercial and check all your weapons, then dick around soupin up your hotrod with the homies, finally blow off some cops with your new turbo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gnome de plume posted:

? What if they need to pee?

Just make sure your back is to the wind

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm currently going through the Mandalorian for the first time. Amusingly, I'm only up to episode 4 right now. Yes, I'm late.
So far, the things that just stand out to me are:
1: How occasionally boring the show can be. And I mean that everything seems so spare/low budget.
2: How very Starwars it can feel despite, or maybe because of 1? I''m not sure yet which. Maybe it's the way how everyone seems to be doing their own thing that Mando happens to walk into. Like the weird "I have spoken" guy, or the Jawas. The world feels more alive than the recent movies where the Universe seemed to revolve around 4 people.
3: How they do fanservice mostly right. Thing that jumps out to me so far is the desintigration. The first time he uses it is against the Jawas and I was like...did he just poof a Jawa? You see it through a scope and the quality is kinda bad. But then later on he admits the Jawas might not like to talk to him because he desintigrated one of them. And I'm like, lol! That's just like the Empire Strikes Back Darth Vader comment! I think that if it were the movies Mando would shoulder he gun, switch it visibly to desintigration and then remark to no one in particular that he has no "no desintigration" orders before shooting one with a close up for the audience.
4: Space Westerns rock.
5: Tiny Yoda is cute, but so obviously a doll. (Maybe ties back into 1)

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

truth hurts doesn't it

I'm not sure it's possible for something with "You're tearing me apart, Lisa!"-level dialog and direction spattered all over to be OBJECTIVELY HIGH QUALITY, but whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The trick is with Mando that they aren't trying to Be Star Wars as their exclusive goal, they're wholesale ripping off westerns, war and samurai movies just like Star Wars did.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The trick is with Mando that they aren't trying to Be Star Wars as their exclusive goal, they're wholesale ripping off westerns, war and samurai movies just like Star Wars did.

Would be a better show if it leaned harder on the latter. Really hoping that BOBF and the dearth of upcoming other shows means that Mando can focus on being a space western and not have to be so bothered with acting as the franchise standard-bearer.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

5: Tiny Yoda is cute, but so obviously a doll. (Maybe ties back into 1)

That hearkens back to ESB (and Jim Henson properties in general) by giving actors something physical to act against

Werner Herzog was a bit of a meme for a while since he chastised the crew for wanting to replace the puppet with CG ("You are cowards. Leave it.") and the BTS material talks about how the puppeteers would make the puppet react to actors talking to it off-camera

I'm glad things ended up the way they did with it

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

That hearkens back to ESB (and Jim Henson properties in general) by giving actors something physical to act against

Werner Herzog was a bit of a meme for a while since he chastised the crew for wanting to replace the puppet with CG ("You are cowards. Leave it.") and the BTS material talks about how the puppeteers would make the puppet react to actors talking to it off-camera

I'm glad things ended up the way they did with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorkhIjw2mA

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I think the late to postwar mop up/peacekeeping unit that Cara Dune was part of who are apparently hated by everyone could have been interesting and probably would have been part of that spin off they were going to give her.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'm not sure it's possible for something with "You're tearing me apart, Lisa!"-level dialog and direction spattered all over to be OBJECTIVELY HIGH QUALITY, but whatever.

Is the "they fly now???" exchange better than any of the worst prequel lines?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nodoze posted:

Is the "they fly now???" exchange better than any of the worst prequel lines?

Yeah most of them tbh. RoS was awful but the reaction to that line was weirdly over the top.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I think the late to postwar mop up/peacekeeping unit that Cara Dune was part of who are apparently hated by everyone could have been interesting and probably would have been part of that spin off they were going to give her.

Everyone hates the idea now because Gina Carano has turned out to be terrible. I forget which particular brand of terrible it was, but I do remember she burned bridges spectacularly fast.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Grendels Dad posted:

Everyone hates the idea now because Gina Carano has turned out to be terrible. I forget which particular brand of terrible it was, but I do remember she burned bridges spectacularly fast.

It was the "Conservatives are the new Jews in the camps" brand of terrible.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If someone gets a lot of poo poo in the covid era, you can bet pretty confidently on what they're getting poo poo for

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea she pretty much backed them into a corner and forced them to fire her. The Mandalorian was a hot property and they really didn't want to do it but she just kept saying dumb poo poo. The Holocaust remark was just the final straw.

Pretty sure she's now running the Kevin Sorbo/Kirk Cameron/James Woods/John Voigt circuit of low budget right wing propaganda films.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

stev posted:

Yeah most of them tbh. RoS was awful but the reaction to that line was weirdly over the top.

I like that exchange. While "they fly now" is a bit weird since jetpacks aren't entirely rare, I'm just a sucker for people repeating the same thing in different intonations as a form of banter. It needed to be a in different movie and it would've worked better. You know, like in a movie where people actually went on adventures and regularly tangled with storm troopers to earn their surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's too bad they dont just recast Cara Dune to help star wars fans understand that a particular character can be played by another actor