Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Aren't we sending "lethal aid" to Ukraine?

At the request of Ukraine, yes. But what does that have to do with Russia staging a possible invasion? We provide a lot of military aid. The action of violence is being taken by Russia, not Ukraine, and Ukraine, a non-NATO nation, is asking for help with self-defense. Should we have just told them they are screwed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Panzeh posted:

That's an interesting kind of opposition. It reminds me of a libertrarian saying 'i'm opposed to poverty, but doing anything about it would be tyranny'

gently caress off with this poo poo. If you want for us to do something more than nothing I'm actively cheering that sleepy joe falls asleep at the wheel and this leads to the dissolution of NATO and the EU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Terminal autist posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo. If you want for us to do something more than nothing I'm actively cheering that sleepy joe falls asleep at the wheel and this leads to the dissolution of NATO and the EU

Why would you cheer at the dissolution of the EU? That doesn't seem like something good to hope for.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

Would you like to actually discuss this and not post like a petty dick? Gripweed made a good point about there being a lot of nuance to what's going on right now and people misinterpreting positions and thoughts, intentionally or no.

And if you don't think there's a lot of nuance, then fine, nothing to discuss, go back to the EE chat thread. Y'all got what you wanted anyway, don't know why you're trying to start poo poo in the containment thread.

I’m very interested to see nuanced evidence of NATO pursuing having a land border with Russia in the Baltics.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

At the request of Ukraine, yes. But what does that have to do with Russia staging a possible invasion? We provide a lot of military aid. The action of violence is being taken by Russia, not Ukraine, and Ukraine, a non-NATO nation, is asking for help with self-defense. Should we have just told them they are screwed?
And Russia will also not go out of it's way to start a war with NATO as Putin only seeks regime change/small conquests from Ukraine, yes? Wanna be clear.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m very interested to see nuanced evidence of NATO pursuing having a land border with Russia in the Baltics.

Here, let me dig up all the classified docs from the State Department and DoD I have access to discussing this :rolleyes:

You tell me, then: what did the U.S. et al gain from adding the Baltics to their security umbrella? It's not the 2% military spending on their puny budgets.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

How are u posted:

Why would you cheer at the dissolution of the EU? That doesn't seem like something good to hope for.

Germany can dictate the politics for Europe without all the grandstanding and added bureaucracy

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

im not sure i understand the invocations of us military intervention when it's been made abundantly clear that the us and other members of NATO have zero interest in involving themselves in a war with russia over ukraine.

that the arms (and threats of sanctions) have been framed solely as a deterrent, to make a possible invasion appear so costly that russia will delay or step back from an invasion

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

And how big are their government budgets? Even if they're fulfilling their treaty obligations (and I have no doubt they are), that still leaves me wondering: what could these countries meaningfully contribute to a hot war involving NATO? Each of the Baltic nations are smaller than the one (1) state I live in, which is ranked 28th out of the 50 in population. These countries are tiny and are not, nor ever will be, big contributors to NATO's military capabilities.

If you’re dissatisfied with our membership terms, ask more or kick us out. We’re doing everything that is being asked of us, and we were not shy to kill our citizens for your sake in Iraq and elsewhere.

I think it would be cool if Latvia could allocate 1 trillion USD out of its budget for military expense, which you seem to be asking for, but we may have to fix our roads and start paying teachers and nurses liveable wage before then.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Terminal autist posted:

Germany can dictate the politics for Europe without all the grandstanding and added bureaucracy

Sorry, can you please elaborate? Are you saying the EU is bad because the grandstanding and added bureaucracy make it efficient and get in the way of Germany dictating the continent's politics?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think it would be cool if Latvia could allocate 1 trillion USD out of its budget for military expense, which you seem to be asking for, but we may have to fix our roads and start paying teachers and nurses liveable wage before then.

To be fair: The US should be doing that too.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

QuoProQuid posted:

im not sure i understand the invocations of us military intervention when it's been made abundantly clear that the us and other members of NATO have zero interest in involving themselves in a war with russia over ukraine.

that the arms (and threats of sanctions) have been framed solely as a deterrent, to make a possible invasion appear so costly that russia will delay or step back from an invasion

And the media is ghoulish because that's just what the media does.

You can, however, absolutely criticize government spokesmen for sowing panic by declaring the imminence of a worst case scenario (since even taking for granted Russia will take hostile action there are degrees of magnitude possible), and getting confrontational with the odd media voices that press them to offer more than their word as backing.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you’re dissatisfied with our membership terms, ask more or kick us out. We’re doing everything that is being asked of us, and we were not shy to kill our citizens for your sake in Iraq and elsewhere.

You are getting very, very weirdly personal about this. And besides, as I've stated multiple times, it's not about the Baltics' military capabilities. They don't exist. My government (not me, just lmao) is not concerned at all at what the Baltics bring to the table other than Russian containment.

But hey, I'll be sure to write my Members of Congress demanding the expulsion of Latvia from NATO. I have total agency over my government, they'll listen to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TipTow posted:

You tell me, then: what did the U.S. et al gain from adding the Baltics to their security umbrella? It's not the 2% military spending on their puny budgets.

A freer, securer, wealthier Europe?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Paladinus posted:

Are you sure Azov specifically get American weapons? I am legitimately not sure if it's the case, considering there was a push the US State Department to designate Azov a foreign terrorist organisation. Would it be fine if America only gave weapons to be used by non-nazi military units?

That would certainly be better. But it would still be the US escalating a foreign war. I would still be opposed.

I point out the Azov Battalion specifically because it makes my argument stronger when we're talking about literal nazi war criminals. And it weakens the argument that we should be helping Ukraine because Russia is bad morally. But in truth I don't think America should be providing military aid to basically anybody.

CommieGIR posted:

Not in such words, but yeah we shouldn't be giving them weapons.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Russia didn't just put troops in the Donbass, it shot down a passenger jet with its troops in the Donbass.

e: ^^ I think that isolationism is a legitimate position to take, but you might find it goes down better if you make a nod to the fact that the people crying out for help definitely aren't going to interpret US non-interference as being good for them

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 14, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

QuoProQuid posted:

And according to the US government, it didn't work. Russia is going to invade anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

And according to the US government, it didn't work. Russia is going to invade anyway.

Because Russia's demands were "NATO go west of Poland" and recognize Ukraine as a Russian satellite.

Gripweed posted:

That would certainly be better. But it would still be the US escalating a foreign war. I would still be opposed.

I point out the Azov Battalion specifically because it makes my argument stronger when we're talking about literal nazi war criminals. And it weakens the argument that we should be helping Ukraine because Russia is bad morally. But in truth I don't think America should be providing military aid to basically anybody.

The Azov Battalion is a problem. But so is the Wagner group who is also full of Nazis and is being employed on the Russian side in Ukraine.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TipTow posted:

Here, let me dig up all the classified docs from the State Department and DoD I have access to discussing this :rolleyes:

Let us assume that NATO is inviting nations bordering Russia into their alliance for this nefarious purpose of getting a securing a land border with them. Why should Russia be allowed to us military force and imperial subjugation to remove their sovereignty as a means to prevent this? Are you contending this recruitment effort is a prelude to an invasion of Russia and this is a pre-emptive strike? Because unless you are contending that I don't see how Russia has any right to stop any country who feels like it from joining NATO.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Conspiratiorist posted:

And the media is ghoulish because that's just what the media does.

You can, however, absolutely criticize government spokesmen for sowing panic by declaring the imminence of a worst case scenario (since even taking for granted Russia will take hostile action there are degrees of magnitude possible), and getting confrontational with the odd media voices that press them to offer more than their word as backing.

my understanding of the US posture here is that it's intended to fit into its larger deterrence campaign and to undercut domestic propaganda if/when it does invade. from the new york times: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/12/us/politics/russia-information-putin-biden.html

quote:

In recent weeks, the Biden administration has detailed the movement of Russian special operation forces to Ukraine’s borders, exposed a Russian plan to create a video of a faked atrocity as a pretext for an invasion, outlined Moscow’s war plans, warned that an invasion would result in possibly thousands of deaths and hinted that Russian officers had doubts about Mr. Putin.

Then, on Friday, Jake Sullivan, President Biden’s national security adviser, told reporters at the White House that the United States was seeing signs of Russian escalation and that there was a “credible prospect” of immediate military action. Other officials said the announcement was prompted by new intelligence that signaled an invasion could begin as soon as Wednesday.

All told, the extraordinary series of disclosures — unfolding almost as quickly as information is collected and assessed — has amounted to one of the most aggressive releases of intelligence by the United States since the Cuban missile crisis, current and former officials say.

It is an unusual gambit, in part because Mr. Biden has repeatedly made clear he has no intention of sending U.S. troops to defend Ukraine. In effect, the administration is warning the world of an urgent threat, not to make the case for a war but to try to prevent one.

The hope is that disclosing Mr. Putin’s plans will disrupt them, perhaps delaying an invasion and buying more time for diplomacy, or even giving Mr. Putin a chance to reconsider the political, economic and human costs of an invasion.

At the same time, Biden administration officials said they had a narrower and more realistic goal: They want to make it more difficult for Mr. Putin to justify an invasion with lies, undercutting his standing on the global stage and building support for a tougher response.

Intelligence agencies, prodded by the White House, have declassified information, which in turn has been briefed to Congress, shared with reporters and discussed by Pentagon and State Department spokesmen.

But the disclosures are complicated by history. Before the United States’ invasion of Iraq in 2003, the Bush administration released intelligence that officials said justified pre-emptive action, including purported intercepts of Iraqi military conversations, photos of mobile biological weapons labs and statements accusing Baghdad of building a fleet of drones to launch a chemical attack on the United States. The material was all wrong, reliant on sources who lied, incorrect interpretations of Iraq’s actions and senior officials who looked at raw intelligence and saw what they wanted to see.

But this situation, American officials say, is very different. Washington’s claims about Russia’s troop buildup have been confirmed by commercial satellite imagery of a quality previously unavailable. The details of Moscow’s secret disinformation plots are in line with the Kremlin’s propaganda campaigns that play out on social media platforms and have been tracked by independent researchers.

Most important, the officials said, there is a fundamental distinction between Iraq in 2003 and Ukraine in 2022. “In Iraq, intelligence was used and deployed from this very podium to start a war,” Mr. Sullivan said on Friday. “We are trying to stop a war.”

The last time Russia moved against Ukraine, in 2014, intelligence officials blocked the Obama administration from sharing what they knew. But the Biden administration has studied those mistakes. The new disclosures reflect the influence of Avril D. Haines, the director of national intelligence, and William J. Burns, the C.I.A. director, who have shown a willingness to declassify information in an effort to disrupt Russian planning, administration officials said.

“We have learned a lot, especially since 2014, about how Russia uses the information space as part of its overall security and military apparatus,” said Emily J. Horne, the spokeswoman for the National Security Council. “And we have learned a lot about how to deny them some impact in that space."

some skepticism is fair after the events of 2003 (which the article raises) but this is the justification that white house officials are providing and, apparently behind the scenes, substantiating to allies

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 14, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

I apologise for having the audacity to inquire if there’s any whatsoever basis to your claims that seemingly were presented as facts.

TipTow posted:

You are getting very, very weirdly personal about this. And besides, as I've stated multiple times, it's not about the Baltics' military capabilities. They don't exist. My government (not me, just lmao) is not concerned at all at what the Baltics bring to the table other than Russian containment.

But hey, I'll be sure to write my Members of Congress demanding the expulsion of Latvia from NATO. I have total agency over my government, they'll listen to me.

I’m have no clue why you feel that I’m taking this personally. Propriety of our contributions to NATO is trivially verifiable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gripweed posted:

As it turns out, America doesn't provide weapons to Azov since 2018, which I was relieved to learn. So there's at least that.

Clearly, there are cases when military aid to sides of foreign conflicts is justified. I would say US did good with Lend-Lease during WWII, for example.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's as if if you assume that NATO is a nefarious selfish US hegemony project then it makes no sense at all to bring in the Baltic states, but if it is a defensive alliance of liberal democracies born out of the repeated experience of the 20th century that non-aligned democracies that do not take defence seriously find themselves prey to authoritarian neighbours then it makes a lot more sense.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Domino Theory except for NATO

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

Let us assume that NATO is inviting nations bordering Russia into their alliance for this nefarious purpose of getting a securing a land border with them. Why should Russia be allowed to us military force and imperial subjugation to remove their sovereignty as a means to prevent this?

They shouldn't.

Sanguinia posted:

Are you contending this recruitment effort is a prelude to an invasion of Russia and this is a pre-emptive strike?

The land border is a potential resource in the event of a war, yes.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I apologise for having the audacity to inquire if there’s any whatsoever basis to your claims that seemingly were presented as facts.

Where are the demands to see proof that adding the Baltics was all about peace, freedom, and democracy? I'd like to see that evidence.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m have no clue why you feel that I’m taking this personally. Propriety of our contributions to NATO is trivially verifiable.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

And don't give me any bullshit about a "royal" you. Unless you believe all us Americans are a monolith or operate with some kind of hive mind.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

This guy's the one who dragged Russia into the Donbass war, if you believe him: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2014/11/21/russias-igor-strelkov-i-am-responsible-for-war-in-eastern-ukraine-a41598

He's also been responsible for taking a lot of russian+belarusian citizens videos of armour movements from tiktok and posting them on twitter

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1491120509299347461

I really dont know what his deal is

That’s not his account, as far as I know. Last I checked him, he was only active on his VK page.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TipTow posted:

And how big are their government budgets? Even if they're fulfilling their treaty obligations (and I have no doubt they are), that still leaves me wondering: what could these countries meaningfully contribute to a hot war involving NATO? Each of the Baltic nations are smaller than the one (1) state I live in, which is ranked 28th out of the 50 in population. These countries are tiny and are not, nor ever will be, big contributors to NATO's military capabilities.

What's more they've been oppressing ethnic Russians far more heinously than Ukraine, what with denying them citizenship and forcibly assimilating them. Such a shame that the vile NATO allowed them to join, they could be part of the glorious mother Russia again by now.

This post is sarcasm (but the underlying facts mostly are not).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

Because Russia's demands were "NATO go west of Poland" and recognize Ukraine as a Russian satellite.

OK, so if Russia was always going to invade no matter what we did, what did we gain by arming Ukraine?

CommieGIR posted:

The Azov Battalion is a problem. But so is the Wagner group who is also full of Nazis and is being employed on the Russian side in Ukraine.

Oh yeah, we absolutely should not be sending weapons to Russia either

Paladinus posted:

Clearly, there are cases when military aid to sides of foreign conflicts is justified. I would say US did good with Lend-Lease during WWII, for example.

Sure, but that was 80 years ago. We don't have a great track record since then.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

QuoProQuid posted:

my understanding of the US posture here is that it's intended to fit into its larger deterrence campaign and to undercut domestic propaganda if/when it does invade. from the new york times: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/12/us/politics/russia-information-putin-biden.html

some skepticism is fair after the events of 2003 (which the article raises) but this is the justification that white house officials are providing and, apparently behind the scenes, substantiating to allies

Again, there's a difference in trying to provide deterrence through being clear you believe in the possibility of hostile action as well as offering likely timetables for such, and another is consistently sending messaging implying the most likely course of action for Russia is a complete invasion with tens of thousands of casualties and destruction of Ukraine's major urban centers.

That's just loving irresponsible, and without getting into how the messaging is undermined by being sent over the wishes of Ukraine's actual government.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Alchenar posted:

It's as if if you assume that NATO is a nefarious selfish US hegemony project then it makes no sense at all to bring in the Baltic states, but if it is a defensive alliance of liberal democracies born out of the repeated experience of the 20th century that non-aligned democracies that do not take defence seriously find themselves prey to authoritarian neighbours then it makes a lot more sense.

I mean, other than the loaded language, this seemed like a good-faith effort at trying to bridge the understanding gap. I do believe NATO to be an arm of U.S. (and by extension French and British at least) hegemony. That in no way excuses Putin's actions right now, though it certainly does help to inform why he's acting the way he is. More informative than "Putin lusts for Ukrainian blood."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Sanguinia posted:

Let us assume that NATO is inviting nations bordering Russia into their alliance for this nefarious purpose of getting a securing a land border with them. Why should Russia be allowed to us military force and imperial subjugation to remove their sovereignty as a means to prevent this? Are you contending this recruitment effort is a prelude to an invasion of Russia and this is a pre-emptive strike? Because unless you are contending that I don't see how Russia has any right to stop any country who feels like it from joining NATO.

Agreed and to add, unless the US and the rest of NATO were in 100% agreement that the Baltics were "Russian" land, there is absolutely no basis for saying that NATO added the Baltics to "spite" Russia. And even if the Baltics were added to piss off Russia, being pissed off isn't a basis for invading other sovereign countries. Russia is the rear end in a top hat in grade school who gets in a fight because a kid looked at them weird. It's not the west's problem or obligation to keep Russia from having hissy fits.

NATO has never invaded Russia. Russia has invaded Ukrainian land twice in the past decade and has "invaded" other neighbors several times before that. Now maybe ethnic Russians in Ukraine want to be part of Russia. If that's the case, then Ukraine and Russia could have sat down and organized a plebiscite. Instead, what, Russia gets to invade "just cause?" Does Germany get to retake eastern prussia or galicia because of historic connections?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
A map of verified OSINT of Russian movements:

https://maphub.net/Cen4infoRes/russian-ukraine-monitor

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

Where are the demands to see proof that adding the Baltics was all about peace, freedom, and democracy? I'd like to see that evidence.

You can demand that evidence from people claiming that Baltics were admitted to NATO on altruistic, moral grounds.

TipTow posted:

And don't give me any bullshit about a "royal" you. Unless you believe all us Americans are a monolith or operate with some kind of hive mind.

I think I was rather clearly talking to you in those posts.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s not his account, as far as I know. Last I checked him, he was only active on his VK page.

Well gently caress, that makes a lot more sense then. Some of the older text posts on that account read as explicitly pro-invasion so I assumed it was him

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You can demand that evidence from people claiming that Baltics were admitted to NATO on altruistic, moral grounds.

I think I was rather clearly talking to you in those posts.

So you believe I have the unilateral ability to kick out the Baltics?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

Well gently caress, that makes a lot more sense then. Some of the older text posts on that account read as explicitly pro-invasion so I assumed it was him

Oh, word? I could be wrong, I’m only ~80% confident here.

If it’s not a chore for you to dig some of those up, I’d take a look.

TipTow posted:

So you believe I have the unilateral ability to kick out the Baltics?

Of course I do, that’s how English language works.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Conspiratiorist posted:

Again, there's a difference in trying to provide deterrence through being clear you believe in the possibility of hostile action as well as offering likely timetables for such, and another is consistently sending messaging implying the most likely course of action for Russia is a complete invasion with tens of thousands of casualties and destruction of Ukraine's major urban centers.

That's just loving irresponsible, and without getting into how the messaging is undermined by being sent over the wishes of Ukraine's actual government.

what should the US messaging be if all accounts heavily suggest (and its allies confirm) that the most likely course of action for Russia is, in fact, a full-scale invasion that will kill tens of thousands?

it's definitely a weird case (i can't think of any similar incident where there was this much public forewarning) but im not sure what a better tact would be

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 14, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ahh yes going around saying "Russia wants to invade for lovely imperialistic reasons, has been building up troops for months and are actively looking for an excuse to do so" is the driving force behind Russian intentions to invade.

Just like writing a letter saying "if I get killed it was *this person stating they want to murder me*" is clearly asking to be killed.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 14, 2022

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Private Speech posted:

Ahh yes going around saying "Russia wants to invade for lovely imperialistic reasons, has been building up troops for months and are actively looking for an excuse to do so" is the driving force behind Russian intentions to invade.

Russia is the kid stepping on the back of your shoes in the hallway and then waiting for you to get mad at him before they hit you so they can claim you started it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TipTow posted:

I mean, other than the loaded language, this seemed like a good-faith effort at trying to bridge the understanding gap. I do believe NATO to be an arm of U.S. (and by extension French and British at least) hegemony. That in no way excuses Putin's actions right now, though it certainly does help to inform why he's acting the way he is. More informative than "Putin lusts for Ukrainian blood."

I think we are reaching consensus (approaching each other with loaded language) but if we accept NATO is an extension of hegemony of the Western Liberal Democratic market system then we come back to the fact that Putin isn't actually militarily threatened by NATO, it is that an arc of prosperous liberal democracies around Russia makes his oligarchic security state inherently less stable and at risk of popular revolution.

And that is ultimately why Putin's actions now and general policy are bad and should be opposed - he can't reform Russia to be less poor so he needs to make the peoples around Russia also poor so they don't look good by comparison. It's not even a zero-sum worldview, it's a worldview where he needs to make the world a worse place in order to survive and that should probably be opposed.

e: like there's a reason that every country that's had a free choice between being part of the Russian economic system and the European economic system has chosen the latter.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 14, 2022