Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I think they should have to put forth evidence for this belief, and the evidence can be criticized and laughed at if need be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

well that means it was that bad at least once before so it's not a problem if it's that bad now

nice try doomer

In a similar vein

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/8/13-million-face-hunger-in-horn-of-africa-as-drought-worsens-un
https://news.sky.com/story/east-afr...hunger-12536189

safety warning for some of the pics I guess

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

D&D climate thread update: they are really concerned about all the doomers posting and they want to change the rules so they can make fun of the doomers. They have also concluded that no human can predict the future beyond 10 years anyway so just chill out.

I think you read it wrong: the pushback is not against doomers, but rather posters like Thug Lessons.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raine posted:

has d&d ever laid out their definition of a doomer

anyone with object permanence

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comatoast posted:

For who? There is no representation in this country, and if there were someone to vote for then they'd lose because they weren't part of the Big 2 Parties.

Yeah I don't think a "Give up and embrace the void" level of Climate Doomerism is helpful or wanted here. If we are taking the dome video at its word, there's nothing to be done but accept our demise. And frankly, that is neither useful discission nor helpful. We are not dead yet, nor are we likely, as a species, to fail anytime soon. So talking about the grieving process doesn't make a lot of sense because its not that final yet.

Is it going to loving suck as climate change gets worse? Yup. It will. It already is. But that's not a reason to give up yet.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

yeah it’s bad. unless we start draining the Great Lakes, and I support a massive straw-shaped pipeline to guzzle them dry to bring it all out west, southwest (and most of America’s food) is just on borrowed time. the difference between today and 30 years ago is just absolutely night and day. I’m not that old but I remember a vastly different southwest and have seen it become bad with each passing year

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Xaris posted:

yeah it’s bad. unless we start draining the Great Lakes, and I suppose a massive straw-shaped pipeline to guzzle them dry to bring it all out west, southwest (and most of America’s good) is just on borrowed time.

we are going to do that and it will be to keep the pistachio, almond, lettuce, and alfalfa farms going

mass desalinization powered by natural gas is another possibility

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Simply declare Arizona inhabitable, as should've been done decades ago, and withdraw all support and subsidization

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

desalinization will be sold to the public as a way to reduce sea level rise since you are taking water out of the ocean

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
lmao our banner bandit is back

https://massextinction.events/

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
a good time trot out that ol bit re: desalination

it effectively triples your energy consumption if you need to depend on it for all your fresh water

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Inhabitable

Inhabitable means habitable (what a country!)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Protagonist posted:

a good time trot out that ol bit re: desalination

it effectively triples your energy consumption if you need to depend on it for all your fresh water

alright we'll approve 400% more drilling permits

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

bedpan posted:

mass desalinization powered by natural gas is another possibility

this is so incredibly stupid it has to happen

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_Al-Khair_Power_and_Desalination_Plant

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

lmao our banner bandit is back

https://massextinction.events/

This is good, but the format lacking. Why not make it a seven hour video on youtube?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

buddy

https://azbex.com/mexican-desalination-plant-part-of-pimas-future/

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

SKULL.GIF posted:

Simply declare Arizona inhabitable, as should've been done decades ago, and withdraw all support and subsidization

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fly Molo posted:

Yeah I don't think a "Give up and embrace the void" level of Climate Doomerism is helpful or wanted here. If we are taking the dome video at its word, there's nothing to be done but accept our demise. And frankly, that is neither useful discission nor helpful. We are not dead yet, nor are we likely, as a species, to fail anytime soon. So talking about the grieving process doesn't make a lot of sense because its not that final yet.

Is it going to loving suck as climate change gets worse? Yup. It will. It already is. But that's not a reason to give up yet.

I mean, I don’t have any influence over my favorite sport teams. I still like to analyze them and post about them.

There is nothing any of us can individually do to defeat climate change and it seems exceedingly likely that, yeah there is no hope and everyone is doomed.

I will still post about it :)

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Fly Molo posted:

Yeah I don't think a "Give up and embrace the void" level of Climate Doomerism is helpful or wanted here.

I do... or at least "Give up and embrace _____" - if you want it to be the void, go hog wild.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

Yeah I don't think a "Give up and embrace the void" level of Climate Doomerism is helpful or wanted here.

counterpoint:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I mean, I don’t have any influence over my favorite sport teams. I still like to analyze them and post about them.

There is nothing any of us can individually do to defeat climate change and it seems exceedingly likely that, yeah there is no hope and everyone is doomed.

I will still post about it :)

sorry, i can’t help myself, this is like fishing with dynamite ;)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
lolling if you can't read the writing on the walls regarding climate change based on what's happened with COVID.

Like lol our power structures can withstand pretending like they don't understand cause and effect with a lead time of two weeks. Climate mitigation requires an understanding of and (messaging around) cause and effect on the order of decades or centuries.

We're totally hosed. Lol

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Lucas was right. Moisture vaporators are the future for desert hellscapes.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tuyop posted:

lolling if you can't read the writing on the walls regarding climate change based on what's happened with COVID.

Like lol our power structures can withstand pretending like they don't understand cause and effect with a lead time of two weeks. Climate mitigation requires an understanding of and (messaging around) cause and effect on the order of decades or centuries.

We're totally hosed. Lol

yeah it’s been absolutely horrifying. if solutions that are as cheap as “lock down for 2 weeks” are absolutely off the table, how the gently caress are we gonna replace our entire energy and transportation infrastructure in just a few years?

lol the simple, easy, cheap answer: we won’t. we won’t change poo poo. we’ll just keep burning oil and nat gas (and maybe desalinating to keep the golf courses green) until escalating food shortages cause a complete societal breakdown

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Yep, I've been saying for like a year now that covid was a test run and we failed spectacularly. There's no way a bigger yet more diffuse threat is going to be dealt with in any kind of rational or just way

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fly Molo posted:

Grief isn't an excuse to do nothing but I think it's a normal and healthy response to daily news like this

https://twitter.com/kronayne/status/1493336443254558723?t=ibcETow8ZfDh8paO8AwK-A&s=19

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ah but of course

at least that article taught me there's a "Desalination Plant of the Year" award, and this plant won it so there's that

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Covid was never an existential threat unless you were an obese 80-year-old. We knew that fairly early on. The reaction of politicians and the public at large was more of a concern.

Are you just repeating reddit tropes without thinking about what you're saying?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Comatoast posted:

Covid was never an existential threat unless you were an obese 80-year-old. We knew that fairly early on. The reaction of politicians and the public at large was more of a concern.

I don’t know what you mean by “existential threat”

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ah but of course

at least that article taught me there's a "Desalination Plant of the Year" award, and this plant won it so there's that

plant make big number go up, gets an award. many such cases!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mayor Dave posted:

Grief isn't an excuse to do nothing but I think it's a normal and healthy response to daily news like this

https://twitter.com/kronayne/status/1493336443254558723?t=ibcETow8ZfDh8paO8AwK-A&s=19

ive been grieving our impending doom for like 10 years now, I 100% agree.

(it was a syq :wink:)

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Comatoast posted:

Covid was never an existential threat unless you were an obese 80-year-old.

¿Que?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Good lord there are some gullible posters in the last two pages.

Vote or die cspam.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Comatoast posted:

These covid takes come straight from reddit lmao

Or I guess D&D, not sure which is worse

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

the idea of "doing something" is rooted in the assumption that there is something you can do on a personal level to mitigate the effects of climate change

i do not believe a personal action like this exists, because i do not believe climate change can be meaningfully mitigated under capitalism (when i say "meaningfully mitigated" i am acknowledging that a special hell is possible where we continue to somehow cling on to our dying world in suffering and agony)

imo there are solutions, and they exist outside of capitalism. ending global capitalism, easy peasy. (unimaginable bloodshed and death)

i'm not saying we can't get there, but getting there certainly wouldn't be through individual actions unless you are Lenin 2 Enhanced Edition.

and yeah sure you can do local stuff to prepare to seize potential opportunities in the case of systemic upheaval (i do my part), but i'm not pretending like i have any power to actually mitigate climate change or get us any closer to doing so

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Comatoast posted:

Tell me you're a moron without telling me you're a moron.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raine posted:

the idea of "doing something" is rooted in the assumption that there is something you can do on a personal level to mitigate the effects of climate change

i do not believe a personal action like this exists, because i do not believe climate change can be meaningfully mitigated under capitalism (when i say "meaningfully mitigated" i am acknowledging that a special hell is possible where we continue to somehow cling on to our dying world in suffering and agony)

imo there are solutions, and they exist outside of capitalism. ending global capitalism, easy peasy. (unimaginable bloodshed and death)

i'm not saying we can't get there, but getting there certainly wouldn't be through individual actions unless you are Lenin 2 Enhanced Edition.

and yeah sure you can do local stuff to prepare to seize potential opportunities in the case of systemic upheaval (i do my part), but i'm not pretending like i have any power to actually mitigate climate change or get us any closer to doing so

This is just you wanting to believe that you're moral and good, even though you're doing nothing to mitigate climate change. Just accept that you're part of the problem and don't want to change anything about your behavior and spare us the posts trying to assuage your own guilt.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you're a college educated white dude and live in a bubble then maybe yeah you're not going to see anyone who was affected by covid. That attitude is very common around here, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

This is just you wanting to believe that you're moral and good, even though you're doing nothing to mitigate climate change. Just accept that you're part of the problem and don't want to change anything about your behavior and spare us the posts trying to assuage your own guilt.

actually i would rather you told us what the hero Fame Douglas is doing to mitigate climate change

i'll just call you a dumbass now since i dont like to wait for replies