Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

enojy posted:

I remember the original Dark Souls came out a week or two earlier in Japan than it did in the US, so when the release date here was a few days away, I decided to spend a few hours watching some random Japanese person stream the game. They were having trouble with a pretty unassuming boss with a solemn musical score; I figured it was some mid-game chokepoint boss. A formidable foe. Wasn't sure who it was, since the name was in katakana.

Game came out, I went to the on-campus Gamestop at midnight and hustled back to the dorm, two of ninety people there for Dark Souls (the rest were picking up NBA2K11 or something like that.) Was absorbed for the next two weeks. Then I found out who that boss was: Boat

Do you mean Dark Souls 2? Flexile Sentry? It seems to fit with your story as a technically optional boss.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Is this capra? I can't figure out who that's supposed to be

Yeah, same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

The PC port is going to be a huge clusterfuck

yeah im stoked

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

I assume Gwyn.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what you guys don't remember that time in dark souls you had to fight a boat

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

what you guys don't remember that time in dark souls you had to fight a boat

Lol if you don't just summon Boateater Mildred and let her fight it while you hang back.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The furtive boat, so easily forgotten.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The only boss I can think of is Flexile Sentry from DS2, who you fight in a boat slowly filling with water.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

boat, or some say boatm, grant us oars grant us oars

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

It was Gwyn, but I had no idea who it was at the time. Just some quick old dude.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lol why'd you call him Boat?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah yes gwyn, or "boat" to his friends

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Plin plin boat

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lol why'd you call him Boat?

I didn't want to spoil it just in case anyone hadn't played Dark Souls yet, but now that the cat's out of the bag, there is indeed a boat in the game.

I think this started when God of War (2018) came out; someone mentioned that there's boat traversal, and someone(s) else got mad about the boat spoiler.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Spoilering the word boat is a playstation thread meme and now I guess it's a cultural export to the rest of games.

edit:

enojy posted:

I think this started when God of War (2018) came out; someone mentioned that there's boat traversal, and someone(s) else got mad about the boat spoiler.

It was boat haha I mean RE7. Specifically the surprise detour through a half-sunken tanker toward the end.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 14, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
boat is easy just paddle him

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

acksplode posted:

Spoilering the word boat is a playstation thread meme and now I guess it's a cultural export to the rest of games.

oh now i'm less happy than when i thought that guy just called gwyn boat

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
same. still gonna call gwyn boat tho

lol

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The best DS souls mod is the one that changes "YOU DIED" to "AW, BEANS"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The best DS souls mod is the one that changes "YOU DIED" to "AW, BEANS"

I preferred “Thanks Obama”

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
"You Tried"

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Elden Ring won't need any mods because it's going to be literally perfect in every way

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Frankston posted:

Elden Ring won't need any mods because it's going to be literally perfect in every way

Poison swamp.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Cowcaster posted:

boat, or some say boatm, grant us oars grant us oars

lololol this thread is one of only five that I regularly look at. This is why.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
from that spoiler I thought you had watched Nioh instead of Dark Souls and they were stuck on the first boss

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Thank You Dark Souls" was also a good one

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

"oops" would also be a great one

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does anyone know if ER will support cloud saves on Steam?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ohhhhhh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

doingitwrong posted:

Without context, "figure in armor" was not a particularly powerful spoiler.

Yeah the actual context of the pre-release would not have revealed anything. Nothing on Pontiff Sulyvahn subverting the age of fire, nothing on Prince Lothric's rebellion against Lothric's ideals.

But what it does do is tell people who finished the game on day 1 that they are missing content: there is an entire boss out there, a big guy with big hair and a spear who they are yet to find.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Charliegrs posted:

Does anyone know if ER will support cloud saves on Steam?

i don't think any from software games have ever supported steam cloud saves unfortunately, so signs point to no

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
I can't wait to hit big guy with sword

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I cannot wait to make a mediocre build that can equip everything because I Found A Cool New Weapon and never upgrade anything.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Halo is the Chaos Bed. A terrible mistake created by trying to imitate something irreplaceable in a medium unsuited to it.

Hmmmm... nah.

Frankston posted:

Somewhere, a modder's ears are burning.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

RatHat posted:

The PC port is going to be a huge clusterfuck
Lol I was casually rereading some early posts in the DS3 thread since I recently beat it and the first like 20 pages is people dealing with all the PC bugs. Good luck PC goons!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Ichabod Tane posted:

I cannot wait to make a mediocre build that can equip everything because I Found A Cool New Weapon and never upgrade anything.

Fingers crossed for a generous respec option over here. I'd like the game to encourage experimentation and the Souls games encourage experimentation over multiple playthroughs, which I rarely have time/capacity to do. I'd like to be able to mess with different builds over a single playthrough.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

what's the deal with the character creator? how hosed Up can I make my little dude?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

From what I've seen not only do the regular preset faces look much better than previous games, but you are still able to push those sliders around and get some real crazy shapes and colors

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jon Irenicus posted:

what's the deal with the character creator? how hosed Up can I make my little dude?

How many rubber bands you got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't believe that the Elden Ring was Halo all along

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Halo is the Chaos Bed. A terrible mistake created by trying to imitate something irreplaceable in a medium unsuited to it.

Maybe this is meant to be :thejoke: but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRBTMhG2_00