Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wielder posted:

I'd agree that 86 was the actual best mecha show. I'm just very tsundere about it.

honestly the vibe i feel many a season. though 86 has been harshing itself with this second cour production mess, the weeks between episodes really drained momentum and there was also just a lot of military talking heads instead of my preferred 86 kid talking heads like ep 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wielder posted:

I'd recommend Back Arrow because it really was a good old fun time every week. There's pros and cons in retrospect, depending on your perspective and expectations, but that statement still remains true for me. They even did the evolving OP thing for the first half and I appreciate such gimmicks.

I'd agree that 86 was the actual best mecha show. I'm just very tsundere about it. Maybe I'll use my vacation days to catch up (plus they did a very Geass S1 thing and delayed the last two eps).

Which reminds me...did Kyoukai Senki do anything interesting lately other than having good 2D mecha fights? I guess not.

Well, it had two episodes in a row with no mecha fights, right after the only good episode so far. That's interesting, if by interesting you mean incompetent.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaius Marius posted:

Okay now I agree with the poster that said eureka seven is unique in it's creators attempts to desecrate it.

I am not happy to be right

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

wielder posted:

Which reminds me...did Kyoukai Senki do anything interesting lately other than having good 2D mecha fights? I guess not.

they maybe killed off the main dude. i don't buy it but if they carry through with it i will give them a tiny bit of credit

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Parallax posted:

they maybe killed off the main dude. i don't buy it but if they carry through with it i will give them a tiny bit of credit

I'm sure it's just as legit as when it happened to Kira Yamato.

Twice.

Killing your MC is a high risk move, which would be distinctive from such a low risk show, but there's a lot of reasons why you don't do it very often.

Giving Amou a personality would be much more impressive than killing him at this point.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Given how safe Kyoukai Senki has played itself or its entire run I do not for a second believe the main dude is actually dead purely because that would require some degree of guts to pull off. Even if he's a bland nothing of a character whose scant characterization still managed to be at odds with itself, he is still the main character who is in the robot they put with the title card. To murder him would require something like guts or ambition or vision or a creative drive, and that is not the show that is being put on screen every week. Kyoukai Senki has universally fled from scary things like nuance or moral ambiguity so I do not believe for a second that the show will now have the gumption to kill the main dude.

And of course, I could be totally wrong, but I feel fully justified in thinking the show started as it meant to go on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Given how safe Kyoukai Senki has played itself or its entire run I do not for a second believe the main dude is actually dead purely because that would require some degree of guts to pull off. Even if he's a bland nothing of a character whose scant characterization still managed to be at odds with itself, he is still the main character who is in the robot they put with the title card. To murder him would require something like guts or ambition or vision or a creative drive, and that is not the show that is being put on screen every week. Kyoukai Senki has universally fled from scary things like nuance or moral ambiguity so I do not believe for a second that the show will now have the gumption to kill the main dude.

And of course, I could be totally wrong, but I feel fully justified in thinking the show started as it meant to go on.

Now I'm flashing back to Aldnoah Zero.

Of course, a difference there was that the fake death was exciting and had people talking. It felt like a possible thematic conclusion to someone's arc, with the next season maybe going in any number of dramatic directions.

Here, the Ghost is a terrible killer for Amou, because it doesn't have much of anything to do with his story. He was after it for revenge, but it was a minor revenge thing, one where he was kind of sort of working with the rebels even before it killed the girl he just met, and where it had nothing to do with his wider objectives. There's no character arc that ends with this, and the Ghost AI still being around somehow only enhances the feeling of pointlessness. We don't have a selfish figure sacrificing his life in a dramatic reversal, or a young man who'd been burning his life up day by day finally reaching his last embers. This is just a guy who kind of figured that he might die being in a do or die situation and going "Whelp. Guess this is the expected thing here." only even less interesting.

As a one-week cliffhanger, this would still be pretty weak, but for a big arc ender, it's aggressively dull.

Compare to 86, and it looks even worse. That might have backed out of some of its implications as well, but it still felt conclusive. If you just watched season 1, it would be a bleak story, but a complete one. Kyoukai Senki's ending, meanwhile, barely feels like a chapter break.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/lishainik/status/1476701863437287424?cxt=HHwWgICylauhpv4oAAAA

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You want to get truth? Why don't you get some bitches?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Been doing some video essays lately and talked about Macross' Do You Remember Love? and why the song itself owns (mostly becaue of it's context). It's a bit shallow analysis but after doing a lot of talking about Eva's music in my last video I needed to do something smaller scale. Mostly posting here because I really have appreciated a lot of the discussion of the various mecha series here over the years and would appreciate some feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQmCqhIWGMw

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i noticed that psybuster was on crunchyroll, so i was like "oh, i like that recurring srw character so i'll try watching it." i regret my hasty actions and will endeavor to do better in the future.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Psybaster

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i noticed that psybuster was on crunchyroll, so i was like "oh, i like that recurring srw character so i'll try watching it." i regret my hasty actions and will endeavor to do better in the future.

Literally the only good thing about that one is the opening theme song

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

i noticed that psybuster was on crunchyroll, so i was like "oh, i like that recurring srw character so i'll try watching it."

roflcopter

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Did you stop after episode 1? Because that's bad, but it gets so much worse.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I tried watching Macross Dynamite 7. Episode 1 was fun with it being space Moby Dick. Episode 2 made me decide I'm not continuing with this short OVA. I have now watched all of Macross 7, at least all of the stuff that doesn't have date rape in it. Goodbye Macross 7 I hope I never think about watching you again.

I did enjoy this frame from the credits though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

god yea the rest of the ova is just good singing fun but that spoilered bit is just completely baffling, especially because immediately after its resolved (at the start of ep 3 i believe?) no one brings it up again :psyduck:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Incredibly strange case of the rest of the Fire Bomber members playing no meaningful role in Dynamite's story so to give them a token appearance THAT was the best they could come up with?

I'm not high on D7 overall but I'd almost recommend finishing it off because nothing like that happens again, and one of the best songs in M7 comes in the final episode

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Well I was convinced and I'm two minutes in and omg hahahahahaha what a worthless plot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I love Macross 7 to death, boring drawn out filler and all, and even I can't stand Dynamite 7. It sucks really, really bad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would pay to see the extinction of the space whales

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I would pay to see the extinction of the space whales

That's what Ahab reactors are for!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Really bad. But it's interesting in its badness for the first episode, because it's a kind of bad that only comes from real creativity and ambition or spectacular incompetence on a level that barely understands what it's doing. The episode isn't structured for action, with pacing that leaves everything time to breath and that lets the cast have some breathing room before anything dramatic happens. If the show didn't spend so much time fumbling the basics (like not animating lip flaps) I might think that the creative team was trying for a story with some depth. As it was, well... it's uncommon to see a show, even a bad one, with such a questionable grasp of the basics.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Kanos posted:

I love Macross 7 to death, boring drawn out filler and all, and even I can't stand Dynamite 7. It sucks really, really bad.

Macross 7 feels a little too off base from its origins for me to completely love it. It’s a good cheese show though and the flower girl has become my favourite running joke from an older anime.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's absolutely 100% not perfect - it's way too long and drags its feet in the middle sections a ton, and I'm not the biggest fan of the more blatant "our song can shoot kamehamehas" stuff - but I find Basara and Gamlin to both be fantastic, well-written characters and it carries the show for me. There's also some incredible high point moments, like the big gruff career military guy Kinryu bursting into Totsugeki Love Heart as he makes his sacrificial charge to chase off a Protodevlin battleship, or Basara's final Try Again as he's about to loving die in space.

I'll never claim it's the most competently put together or coherent Macross show but I have a strong fondness for it, if that makes sense.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

No I get that completely. With time it’s only become something I’m more interested in. I watched macross 7 itself back 4-5 years ago? It was nice revisiting it through the movie and ovas for the most part. It’s a weird show but I’ll never not enjoy that 80s/90s guitar tone from the intro or Basara singing so hard throughout the series. It’s good fun.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

My partner and I watched the first episode of that Giant Robo OVA tonight

We're both pretty sure that was one of the greatest single hours of animation we've ever seen

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i watched through the first couple episodes of giant robot recently and my takeaway was "this seems overhyped but it's decent"

i was much less impressed by the giant robot action than i thought i would be

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The softly whispered secret is that Giant Robo is not really a mecha anime

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What about the big robot

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It's definitely a giant robo(t)

But there's like 100x as much martial arts and magic as there is robots

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah it's way more insane spy wuxia than it is a mecha show in ep 1 at least, but there is a giant robot!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Seemlar posted:

It's definitely a giant robo(t)

But there's like 100x as much martial arts and magic as there is robots

If we start going down this path a whole lot of stuff is going to turn out to not be mecha

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mobile Suit Gundam is a slice of life

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

If we start going down this path a whole lot of stuff is going to turn out to not be mecha

ZZ Gundam is a Mecha, but not an anime.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Oh that's always a fun debate. You see Code Geass isn't really a mecha anime because it cares more about character dynamics and drama and :psyboom:

I would clarify that I think giant robots fighting each other is a very minor part of Giant Robo and to watch the show with that as your primary interest may leave you feeling a little under serviced despite the titular Giant Robo being very important.

Fortunately, it's an incredible OVA for other reasons!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Macross is really about the music.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Macross is really about the music.

Iron Blooded Orphans is really about gunning people down in back alleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

My favorite take on Giant Robo is "everyone has super powers, and it's just that this kid's superpower is a giant loving robot".

Not really related to this, I just like the take.