Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

McLellan writing to himself about how magnanimous he is for not becoming a dictator, has the same kind of energy as a gaming forum poster who literally thinks he'll be the God Emperor.
mcclellan was the first Mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1493154320312770563?t=ym3h5t4kY_1uTfW7VASuhw&s=19

Carl setting himself up for heartbreak again

I just started listening to radio war nerd a lot, wondering if anyone has any episodes they particularly recommend because there are quite a lot and they all look interesting

already listened to off the top of my head:

Serbian red berets
American civil war
most of the Carl zha ones
some of the Ukraine stuff
NED ones
Crimean war
Australian frontier war

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think the Sci-Fi & Fascism episode is universally beloved which is funny since it's not really what the podcast normally covers, but John and the guest are both really passionate about the subject and it's just a great conversation. Still has one of my favourite John Dolan bits where he talks about in a post-apocalypse he'd rather be the leader of the mutant raiders than some solo survivalist nutjob.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sci-Fi & Fascism also has the worst dangling thread of any War Nerd episode, because John is almost about to get into Guns of the South but they never come back to it!!!

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I don't know why it took that episode for the scale to fall off my eyes but after listening to it I was seeing everywhere the absolutely terrible sociology and psychology that post-apoc sci-fi is rife with. In a genre were nerds will get apoplectic if an author gets a Delta-V equation wrong those same nerds will excuse any shoddy sociology if it reinforces white supremacy and suburban patriarchy.

Which post-apoc sci-fi even portrays the cohesion a tightnit minority group or a church congregation would have in a realistic way? Parable of the Shower is the only one off the top of my head. That book also emphasized how much more likely it would be to survive with group solidarity vs an individual going their own way.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I used to be a really big fan of post apocalyptic fiction, and still am in a lot of ways, but my favorite post apocalyptic story of all time is Yokohama Shopping Log. It's one of the only works I've ever seen that could be described as post apocalyptic optimism. For most stuff the best you can hope for is a dark world where the hero is restoring hope through bla bla yaddy yadda - but Yokohama doesn't have any heroes or villains. It's a meditation on death and its acceptance. Humanity is for the large part ok with its gradual decline and almost certain extinction, because the androids represent the continuation of a legacy that's more essentially human than the literal propagation of the species. The essential glue that holds society together is the certainty that their efforts aren't in vain.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

XMNN posted:

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1493154320312770563?t=ym3h5t4kY_1uTfW7VASuhw&s=19

I just started listening to radio war nerd a lot, wondering if anyone has any episodes they particularly recommend because there are quite a lot and they all look interesting

already listened to off the top of my head:

Serbian red berets
American civil war
most of the Carl zha ones
some of the Ukraine stuff
NED ones
Crimean war
Australian frontier war

I really enjoyed their 100 years war series, it's a hell of a story.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Seems like you've hit most of the highlights already, but I'd also recommend the Yeltsin coup episodes since it's something Mark knows a lot more about that most people and does a good job telling.

Or just dive in and start listening to the back catalog in sequence like a real war nerd :)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't know who Carl Zha is but goddamn don't click that cat tweet if you like animals, what a bummer

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Annibale eps are all solid gold. Listen to all of his appearances in chronological order.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Joementum posted:

Seems like you've hit most of the highlights already, but I'd also recommend the Yeltsin coup episodes since it's something Mark knows a lot more about that most people and does a good job telling.

Or just dive in and start listening to the back catalog in sequence like a real war nerd :)

I'll second the Yeltsin Coup run of episodes, it's really interesting to hear Mark talk about that stuff having been there to see it all go down and for someone who was fairly unfamiliar with the actual active goings on there was a lot to learn.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I really like the rashidun episodes because the guest is so excited

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't know who Carl Zha is but goddamn don't click that cat tweet if you like animals, what a bummer

I feel for him. Since I moved to Istanbul I pretty regularly bring in and try to nurse the cats in the area and get them to vets, but the attrition rates are pretty dire regardless. The kittens are the worst because they bond with you even if you don't want them to and also have the worst outcomes.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I recommend all of the Aamer episodes, I like his topics and delivery better than Annibale or Carl :shrug:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

aamer is more americanised in his presentation than either of the other two, but imo if you don't find annibale's insanely knowledgable rambling in a thick italian accent charming you have no soul

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

aamer is more americanised in his presentation than either of the other two, but imo if you don't find annibale's insanely knowledgable rambling in a thick italian accent charming you have no soul

proh-bab-ley

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

V. Illych L. posted:

JOHN DARK

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

paul_soccer12 posted:

proh-bab-ley

lol this is all I hear

my hearing is bad, so thick accent with 1940s landline means I retain nothing spoken

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I think I heard 3 Annibale episodes before my brain started doing the language math but I'm bad at that sort of thing

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Annibale's Years of Lead episodes are loving wild if you've never heard of it before.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

XMNN posted:

dang Bacon didn't make it :(

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

my problem is that his mic quality was just bad enough I couldn't listen to him when I was commuting by car all the time, and i have yet to go back and listen to the years of lead pods.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Nothus posted:

Annibale's Years of Lead episodes are loving wild if you've never heard of it before.

Yes. Venice is insane also

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Carl Zha stop posting dead kittens challenge

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Seconding anything with Annibale, but the story arc on the italian resistance and the years of lead in particular.

"Eetler" is the best Annibale-pronunciation

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The Imjin Wars (#116) is one of my favorite eps because it's an amazing story about something I'd never heard of before. Great guest too, Richard Kim. Wish they'd have him back more often.

But yeah, Annibale is the RWN GOAT.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The Imjin Wars (#116) is one of my favorite eps because it's an amazing story about something I'd never heard of before. Great guest too, Richard Kim. Wish they'd have him back more often.

But yeah, Annibale is the RWN GOAT.

Yes! The Imjin Wars are amazing and Yi Sun-Sin's story is one of the best in recorded history imo

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

Yeah I might have to unfollow him. He's breaking my heart T_T

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
thanks for all the recommendations, I listened to the sci-fi one and it was excellent, will probably check out the annibale stuff next

TenementFunster posted:

it was still alive when I posted it but I think the writing was on the wall unfortunately

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Yes! The Imjin Wars are amazing and Yi Sun-Sin's story is one of the best in recorded history imo

It's funny to think that palace intrigue was a hair's breadth away from totally destroying the Korean navy. His haters wanted to kill him for being too good at beating the Japanese.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Truly suffering from success

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Another great new episode of La Guerra Nerdo. It's neat to hear some of the economic realities posted in the Eurasia thread talked about on the pod. If I was a meaner guy I'd clip the soundbyte of John saying "woohoo!"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Despite being from a completely different part of the world and generation, I can relate to the war nerd's love for looney tunes cartoons.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's funny that kids' entertainment in the 70s and 80s was so sparse and terrible they just kept bugs bunny in syndication for forty years. i'm shocked at how hard they are to find online now

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tankbuster and I are now in an elite fraternity.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Tankbuster and I are now in an elite fraternity.

exposing random people to pictures of a mutilated infant, to own the people who thought Hiroshima was a bit much?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

i say swears online posted:

it's funny that kids' entertainment in the 70s and 80s was so sparse and terrible they just kept bugs bunny in syndication for forty years. i'm shocked at how hard they are to find online now

Bugs Bunny rocks and should still be in syndication.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

StashAugustine posted:

exposing random people to pictures of a mutilated infant, to own the people who thought Hiroshima was a bit much?

drat, I don't think the late era termite terrace shorts were that terrible.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

i say swears online posted:

a real shame, since high def transfers of cel animation film always look fantastic. i bet those old road runner cartoons would be killer in 4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Only just actually listened to Radio War Nerd, specifically the episodes on the Ukraine / Gas Pipelines.

In one episode I have learned way more than I got from the pages of histrionics in the D&D threads.