Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'd love for 3K levels of charges but I'll be happy as long as charges work to some degree compared to how bad they were in WH2 at times.

I've seen that its a week, yeah.

good to know, gives me a bit of time to watch other reviews/first impressions and all, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Can't wait for simultaneous multiplayer, gonna show those daemons the power of collectivism.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Reik posted:

Can't wait for simultaneous multiplayer, gonna show those daemons the power of collectivism.

horrendous nurgling erasure in this post.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is it possible to play the Chaos gods in campaign co-op? Each playing one faction with the same goal? Not sure if they're similar enough in the same way that two of us could both play the ogre LLs for example.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Triskelli posted:

Cajun ogres demanding “When’s supper” would have been the absolute best :allears:

The Maw demands silly dialect.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

horrendous nurgling erasure in this post.

it's not collectivism if you literally merge yourselves in to a single entity

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KingKapalone posted:

Is it possible to play the Chaos gods in campaign co-op? Each playing one faction with the same goal? Not sure if they're similar enough in the same way that two of us could both play the ogre LLs for example.

There's no more head-to-head vs co-op. You can be anyone, work together, and then it's up to you if you take the second place to help your pal or stab them in the back.

Combined with the mini campaigns, seems like it's going to be a blast.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The reviews are pointing out valid problems with the game, but at the end of the day it seems like the base of the game is still solid, there’s some cool improvements going from 2-3, and Warhammer 2 is well tread ground for me. I’m going to buy the game and play it on day 1 because I know I’ll have fun with the new races and domination mode for a while before I feel the itch to play any of the other races again.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If you care about Legend's opinion, he gives WH3 an 8.5. His main complaint is the campaign mechanics which he finds to be actively annoying and frustrating and cannot be ignored like the vortex can. He predicts that there's a chance the campaign might get patched or reworked to be less frustrating, but the real saving grace is going to be the next mortal empires campaign.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dramicus posted:

If you care about Legend's opinion, he gives WH3 an 8.5. His main complaint is the campaign mechanics which he finds to be actively annoying and frustrating and cannot be ignored like the vortex can. He predicts that there's a chance the campaign might get patched or reworked to be less frustrating, but the real saving grace is going to be the next mortal empires campaign.
This is for to know (about the campaign being annoying). I have to wonder if they are planning really big things for IE and they built the base game to be an objective-oriented campaign for those that like that. Then IE will be the gigantic sandbox that people like me prefer.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is for to know (about the campaign being annoying). I have to wonder if they are planning really big things for IE and they built the base game to be an objective-oriented campaign for those that like that. Then IE will be the gigantic sandbox that people like me prefer.

The current campaign seems to actively punish the player for empire building. The larger your territory, the more rifts and demon invasions you have to deal with everywhere. Ironically the best way to win is just sit on two provinces and focus on the chaos realm objectives and "disable" the campaign. Then you can focus on empire building without the campaign suddenly ending, but you still have to deal with closing all the rifts that pop up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like the Demon Souls thing, so it's just another thing I don't agree with Legend on.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It makes me think some of the first mods might be ones that increase the cooldown between rifts to 500 turns or something so you don't have to deal with them.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gonna mod each ogre unit to 160 models :getin:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Have they mentioned a ballpark for when Immortal Campaigns will drop?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Gonna need a lot of meat to feed those hungry boys

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

The have said that in the week or so following release, they'll detail the updates roadmap.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

sexpig by night posted:

i don't think so but i'd guess summer or later

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dramicus posted:

It makes me think some of the first mods might be ones that increase the cooldown between rifts to 500 turns or something so you don't have to deal with them.

Yeah there were mods that increased vortex ritual requirements a ton, so I think that's likely. If the rifts still pop up all the time even after you finish the campaign, that's really stupid.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

An enemy that might finally be able to get Grimgrog to half health

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
I kinda like the sound of just uniting Kislev and holding those lands. Map painting time is about when i bail and start a new campaign

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Sinteres posted:

Yeah there were mods that increased vortex ritual requirements a ton, so I think that's likely. If the rifts still pop up all the time even after you finish the campaign, that's really stupid.

Crazier than that, they only pop up every 30 turns or so before you finish the campaign but once you do, they pop up all the time. To Legend’s point, the game kinda punishes you for completing the campaign. There’s no traits or bonuses gained for gathering the souls either. Kinda wild. He and a few other content creators gave feedback but nothing so far.

Slaanesh is the only realm worth going to, and not for the soul but for the exit bonuses. And apparently CA had much lower bonuses at one stage of development but testers would never bother taking them. So CA massively boosted the bonuses. They need to do that for the other 3 as well, along with a completion bonus once you do capture the soul.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 15, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

H2Eau posted:

I kinda like the sound of just uniting Kislev and holding those lands. Map painting time is about when i bail and start a new campaign

Same for me. Making a strong core territory and sending armies out to fight and damage/destroy my enemies without having to conquer some random hole in the ground that monsters lived in feels good to me.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

Slaanesh is the only realm worth going to, and not for the soul but for the exit bonuses. And apparently CA had much lower bonuses at one stage of development but testers would never bother taking them. So CA massively boosted the bonuses. They need to do that for the other 3 as well, along with a completion bonus once you do capture the soul.

Khorne can be extremely worth going to if you know you're not going to go back to Slaanesh's realm. Take a trip there and pick up all the weapons before making your way out through the rifts to sack someone else's capital.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Scott Forstall posted:

Crazier than that, they old pop up every 30 turns or so before you finish the campaign but once you do, they pop up all the time. To Legend’s point, the game kinda punishes you for completing the campaign. There’s no traits or bonuses gained for gathering the souls either. Kinda wild. He and a few other content creators gave feedback but nothing so far.

The weird thing is that they totally have leaned into giving the player "you won, here's a stupidly good trait, go hog wild" in the past, like with Norsca's campaign. Have they just forgotten, or what?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dramicus posted:

The weird thing is that they totally have leaned into giving the player "you won, here's a stupidly good trait, go hog wild" in the past, like with Norsca's campaign. Have they just forgotten, or what?

I think the idea is that Be'lakor being your bitch is the reward

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Legend posted a correction:

I need to make a slight correction here. Once the narrative campaign is won no new rifts will open up. Close the ones you want closed and they'll never open up again

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Sinteres posted:

Legend posted a correction:

I need to make a slight correction here. Once the narrative campaign is won no new rifts will open up. Close the ones you want closed and they'll never open up again

Oh, that seems much better. You still need a network of agents to go around and close them all, but at least they don’t reopen.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I don't know how many times I'll be bothering with post-campaign anyway, but for the time or two I might if I'm really enjoying playing a faction before Immortal Empires comes out it'll be nice. I hope I'll enjoy the campaign itself more than he did though, or that it gets some tweaks, because I was really hoping to finish the campaign with every faction at some point, and if portals are a massive pain in the rear end that'll affect even factions later on that have campaign goals that aren't based on the Ursun thing (though I guess they could more safely be modded out at that point if their campaign goals don't involve the portals).

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 15, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

I think the idea is that Be'lakor being your bitch is the reward

That would be more of a reward if he didn't have the skill tree of a generic empire captain.

Edit: If anything the Boris unlock is the best reward and you don't even need to get close to finishing the campaign to do it.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 15, 2022

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I wonder if the rifts being teleporters is why they decided to have them on forever after winning? edit: Oh, nevermind bad info

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Dramicus posted:

There used to be a main game team and a DLC team - and the DLC team seems to have been working on the Ogre Kingdoms rather than getting the base campaign mechanics.

And having rifts open post-campaign is a fairly major bonus if you're already the major power as it gives you cross-map access. As long as you can keep yourself safe. I don't want to think about Skarbrand teleporting half way across the map every four or five turns. That said it should be much bigger, and not just Be'lakor. And Be'lakor should really be unlocked.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Kotaku review is overall very positive but also hated the campaign:

"If you’ve played through/suffered the Oblivion Gates in Elder Scrolls IV, it’s a very similar premise, and it’s just as annoying. For starters, you need to do it five times to win the game, but it gets tedious after the first 1-2 tries, and that’s assuming you complete each one at the first attempt (if you fail, sorry, you have to wait and try again next time they open up). Worse and more importantly, though, is that it undermines the entire rest of the game. Everything that makes Total War what it is—that balance of combat, expansion, construction and diplomacy—is reduced to a sideshow in the name of completing these portal quests, in essence taking all the best parts of the series and surrendering their importance to an abstracted grind.

In all my playthroughs, for example, after some early-game expansion I quickly found myself settling in and ignoring almost the entire world around me, from alliances to enemies, because what was the point? The game was structured around sending one very good army through some portals, so it didn’t matter if I conquered 3 regions or 30, or made any friends (or enemies) in the world around me. "

The author did note in the comments that most people will probably play Immortal Empires when it comes out, and this presumably won't be an issue there, but didn't mention that as a mitigating factor in the body of the review because he didn't want to discuss a part of the game that isn't out yet.

I wonder if a bunch of people will end up playing that Cathayan campaign singleplayer until Immortal Empires and/or mods make this less of an issue.

Tbf the camping your starting few provinces thing was arguably the way to play Vortex too, so I'm still keeping an open mind.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 15, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

JBP posted:

Same for me. Making a strong core territory and sending armies out to fight and damage/destroy my enemies without having to conquer some random hole in the ground that monsters lived in feels good to me.

Yeah the Bretonnia campaign, essentially. Once my homelands are settled I'm just going to go fight cool battles against weirdos on the other side of the world. The 'map painting' stage goes hand-in-hand with the 'autoresolve every battle' stage and that's when I hit up the main menu and start something new.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

neonchameleon posted:

And having rifts open post-campaign is a fairly major bonus if you're already the major power as it gives you cross-map access. As long as you can keep yourself safe. I don't want to think about Skarbrand teleporting half way across the map every four or five turns. That said it should be much bigger, and not just Be'lakor. And Be'lakor should really be unlocked.

It remains to be seen just how useful they are compared to how annoying the demon armies they spawn are, but I see how it could facilitate conquest.

As for Be'lakor, it probably doesn't fit with the narrative or anything, but it would be rad if getting him let you recruit chaos units or something. I guess just having him is lore-breaking in the first place, so why not go all out and let you have a chaos army as Kislev or something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That criticism reminds me of game 2 campaigns people loved that I bounced off of. Like pirates or Taurox. I have one doomstack, and I aimlessly wander around picking fights. Eventually, I win the story. It's the exact opposite of "people won't like this because it doesn't have the mix people want from Total War." People love sending one doomstack crashing into hapless AIs over and over until they get bored. Lots of people want 0 campaign map.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So the pre load opens 48 hours before the release time right?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

V for Vegas posted:

So the pre load opens 48 hours before the release time right?

Supposedly preload starts tomorrow (the 15th).

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
41 hours before for some reason, they tweeted this time.

Also, I will be very surprised if Immortal Empires comes in anything under 6 months. It is a huge amount of work they took on by completely reworking the settlement siege maps, so they still have to do that for every single faction biome that's not on 3's map already. Plus updating all the custom UI and such for the various DLC characters to the new style and everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There are only 5 missing factions from 3's map, but they still need unique settlements for big important cities - I imagine Itza and Hexoatl are gonna have their own unique maps, for instance.