Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Also, oh poo poo! Mandalore just dropped a 1 hour Total Warhammer 3 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRJo3R3ANsw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you want another short speedrun category that’s even dumber and more luck-based, then do I have a video for you!

https://youtu.be/JR4isHLuAko

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 14, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1493345972386086916
Sounds like Vimeo needs money again as she isn't the first creator they've tried this on.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Wait, what? Why's Vimeo fining people for having videos perform well on their platform? Don't they want that, or are they really configured as just a host?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Grondoth posted:

Wait, what? Why's Vimeo fining people for having videos perform well on their platform? Don't they want that, or are they really configured as just a host?

Oh, they're not fining, they're just jacking up what you owe them based on metrics only they themselves know. Happened to Chuck from SF Debris too, it's why he went back to YouTube.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

muscles like this! posted:

Sounds like Vimeo needs money again as she isn't the first creator they've tried this on.

Yeah apparently there's been a ton of Vimeo crackdowns/shakedowns in recent months. Some of it is Vimeo catering to corporate clients and just letting Youtubers slide some content on their platform that aggro IP holder or bots would eat alive until they hit a certain metric and need to be willing to pay out the nose for whatever Vimeo decides is the risk they pose. And Patreon is apparently hoping to deploy its own hosted video platform this year (instead of feeding Patreon videos through Vimeo lol) and Vimeo deciding they're going to need to milk this while they still have it.

Also lol

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1493406251408969728

I guess another advantage of this scheme is that it guarantees that it culls anyone out who can't afford it and then they can move down the line to whoever falls into the "top 1%" after they drive anyone above them off the platform.

egg tats posted:

make sure you don't sleep on this guys kings quest 3 video. this might be the worst speedrun I've ever heard of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tR2ULoUVQ0

Playing this game seems like an act of violence itself.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 15, 2022

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

FatalFarm got their fans to make a huge racket about it last year and Vimeo called off the extortionate $10,000/year fee they’d demanded to continue hosting the “Robocop shooting penises” video:
https://twitter.com/fatalfarm/status/1416855496208764928?s=21

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I can't believe actually getting a chance at momentum with popular creators putting their stuff on your hosting service, and you loving extort them instead of using it to your advantage to become a competitor with youtube at all. :yikes:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1493406253606785027
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1493406256757112833

Nice videos you got there, would be a shame if something happened to them, you know what I mean?

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah I've heard a lot of similar weird poo poo with Vimeo, it sucks for creators and its not a particularly great platform for viewers either. Really sucks when you find out a streaming platform outsources to them too (Criterion and On Cinema for example)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Marin Karin posted:

I can't believe actually getting a chance at momentum with popular creators putting their stuff on your hosting service, and you loving extort them instead of using it to your advantage to become a competitor with youtube at all. :yikes:

They can't afford to become a YouTube competitor. It costs too much when you aren't welded to a data mining outfit

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Marin Karin posted:

I work for a company in the same space. Vimeo doesn't have much use for people who actually use their plan--think mobile plans, only moreso. "Unlimited" plans are usually a scam but for video they are extra, extra, extra always a scam, 'cause video is expensive as hell to serve and 4K video quadruply so. At the same time, trying to leverage those people for what you suggest is high-risk in ots own right. Their business model is privately hosted or white-labeled video. Pivoting from that to grow a full advertising function on the backs of comparatively few views is probably unwise.

In this space, approximately nobody can or wants to compete with YouTube. They have economies of scale unavailable to anybody who would want to go after them (short, incomplete list: Microsoft (Azure), AWS, Apple, and the major CDN providers like Akamai and CloudFlare), and none of those potential competitors have an established video advertising function.

If YouTube offered private videos with an easy-to-use entitlement system, everybody else would be in real trouble.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 15, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Marin Karin posted:

They're not interested in being a YouTube competitor. They want to offer their services out as hosts for private training seminars and movie screenings, or like Cold Milk Bottle mentioned they do promotional and back end video services. All stuff big corporations can afford and/or don't net a lot of viewers, so yeah maybe 2,000 views in a few months does push someone into their top 1%. Or they're fluffing the numbers because they want to see who pays and don't care about driving off YouTube people.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 15, 2022

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Remember when vimeo was exclusively for film students putting their projects on there so that they could share them at 480p instead of 240p on yt

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

yeah, that didn't make any money. all hail capitalism.

:(

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

vimeo was started by two of the college humor guys to upload college humor videos until it got bought out

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/shriekcast/status/1493263906030034947
I love cinema

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

“There’s nothing you can do to stop me!” - Man stopped

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

“You can’t stop me, I’m Grindelwald!” - Grindelwald

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I didn't see this posted earlier, but Lindsay Ellis was interviewed for a segment on the New Yorker podcast. She's... not doing well.

https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/the-new-yorker-radio-hour/on-cancel-culture-and-the-state-of-free-speech

I want to know who the hell it was that turned on her so I can stop giving them money and/or views, but I also recognize that all that would happen is anyone named would just get harassed relentlessly and Twitter would continue on as usual never learning a single lesson.

Lindsay's in the first segment, I didn't honestly listen to the rest because the interviewer kinda... sucks. I just wanted to hear Lindsay and hoped she was doing better. She's not.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I'm kinda glad I don't appear to have reached that magical top 1% level.

I guess this practice is a part of why Vimeo has managed to be around so long.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I absolutely was one of those people who only used Vimeo to semi-privately host college video projects, I had no idea they had such scummy business practices!

I did find Lindsay's old college-era documentary project on there once, speaking of. Not sure if it's still available to watch but I remember it being a very effective and moving piece on her personal experience with abortion/the political climate surrounding it circa 2010 or so. Was a bit strange to watch back then given she was mostly known for The Nostalgia Chick at the time but I definitely appreciated it

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Rebochan posted:

I didn't see this posted earlier, but Lindsay Ellis was interviewed for a segment on the New Yorker podcast. She's... not doing well.

https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/the-new-yorker-radio-hour/on-cancel-culture-and-the-state-of-free-speech

I want to know who the hell it was that turned on her so I can stop giving them money and/or views, but I also recognize that all that would happen is anyone named would just get harassed relentlessly and Twitter would continue on as usual never learning a single lesson.

Lindsay's in the first segment, I didn't honestly listen to the rest because the interviewer kinda... sucks. I just wanted to hear Lindsay and hoped she was doing better. She's not.

Yeah, I listen to the New Yorker Radio Hour and was surprised to hear Lindsey in the first segment (I don’t think there’s much overlap between this thread and the New Yorker’s typical base).

She sounds rough. She explicitly avoided naming names but it seems like the breaking point was people in her personal and professional life just refusing to talk with her and her feeling profoundly isolated. Then, every time she tried to address the controversy or apologize for past mistakes her feelings of isolation got worse.

I don’t have anything interesting to say except that I hope she can get the help that she needs. Hopefully she’s disconnecting from Twitter and not, like most famous people, still operating a secret account.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Rebochan posted:

That's a real bummer.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

They are going to keep doing this until they have no more subscribers to blackmail

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

“There’s nothing you can do to stop me!” - Man stopped

Quote from man stopped: “What are you going to do, stop me?”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sucks to hear about Vimeo it's where I binged a bunch of shows like Mayday when I couldn't get the whole series from YouTube uploads.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What are profoundly better film score sites than Rotten Tomatoes?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Rebochan posted:

I want to know who the hell it was that turned on her so I can stop giving them money and/or views

It was someone who invented a story about Lindsay being racist towards them iirc. Pretty sure it was some no-name, probably a sockpuppet. Kinda similar to what happened to Vinny. Speaking of which, I'm glad Vinny bounced back and I hope Lindsay can do the same.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

They made a big deal of diversity amongst the show staff and it was 100% white women.
Yeah it is uh, not a good look to take a Japanese medium and talk about how you, a bunch of white people, will finally make it Diverse. And then the product you put out isnt really any different from other stuff that already existed in that medium.

Of course all the outrage about HGS was moronic but also the woke spin on it was terrible. In general Crunchyroll talks a big game about that stuff but then barely ever does anything to actually promote it. Like they have the money to be the main moneysack for anime every now and then, and they almost always use that to fund generic power fantasy isekai anime. There's a ton of gay or trans related manga, or stuff by minority authors, that they could fund anime of if they actually wanted to. And I don't care if they don't, they're a business, but you don't get to talk about how progressive you are and then dedicate your time to making sure Reborn In Another World With A Ten Inch Dick has three seasons.

And even if you do fund diverse stuff, please don't make a video tooting your own horn about it. Just do it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 15, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Rogersbase had a little dust up, and when I say little I mean extremely small, about his thumbnails. He actually responded to me:

https://twitter.com/rogersbase/status/1493619226510180353?s=21
https://twitter.com/macaluso/status/1493634169255206912?s=21

Rogersbase seems like a very nice guy and I appreciate his response. What I don't understand is just how ANGRY some of the people in the replies are at the audacity for artists to to be respected and credited. It makes me sad how much a lot of people still don't care about crediting artists just because their stuff can show up on Google images

Edit: I got a DM that said "god didn't give u permission to poo poo but you still do dont post art if u dnt want people to enjoy your art go make an nft". Just so strange

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 15, 2022

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
There's an astounding number of people who feel very strongly that artists deserve nothing and should never ask for it. Usually said in the same breath that it's unfair an artist tried to charge them for art that they really wanted and deserve to have for free.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"What are you gonna do, stop me?" ~ Grindlewald, local stopped man

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Its usually people who A) don't make art themselves in a way that is easily digested and moved on from (illustration, concept work, comics, fan art, etc etc. you know what i mean) so they don't have personal experience with the amount of time and work that can be put into that kind of thing or the amount of learning and development that led to being able to make art and B) for some reason think stealing or repurposing the art is "appreciating" or "enjoying" it. i've ran into a lot of people who like. they think that the default for artists is some kind of like. 'wow, they liked my art so much they did something with it! im so happy i made that :)', despite no actual evidence supporting that at all lol. so they react negatively whenever an artist (justfiably) is like 'hey dont use my art that way or steal it, i didnt approve of it' because they've already internalized that the artist "should" be happy the art is being used that way. (or, you know, they just dont give a poo poo and do whatever they want already, but those are usually pretty obvious from the drop)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

There's an astounding number of people who feel very strongly that artists deserve nothing and should never ask for it. Usually said in the same breath that it's unfair an artist tried to charge them for art that they really wanted and deserve to have for free.

Found it again!

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 15, 2022

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

RareAcumen posted:

Found it again!

What an entitled, spiteful prick.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RareAcumen posted:

Found it again!

drat that's lovely. (And I hope any future artists who took commissions from this rear end in a top hat charged their 10x full-transfer-of-copyright price.)

Also, it is good to see this thread standing up for artists and copyright, since just a few weeks back everyone was on the "gently caress copyright, let streamers rebroadcast other people's videos" train.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah same way someone who doesn't care shop lifting is still going to be upset about home invasions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/EyePatchWolf/status/1493661859421069319
They're going to do a watchthrough of the first two JJBA with Jeff Bakalar never having watched it (or any other anime.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Jojo first watches are a treasure.