Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I find it hard to take in that you'd say you have major anxieties around health but can be in a gym during the most contagious wave of the pandemics yet or that you'd think double masking cloth or surgical did literally anything to protect you from omicron. If you aren't wearing n95 or better you aren't protecting anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I got boosted a week ago and couldn't see a mark where it went in and my other arm hurt like a bitch for days, anyone got any good conspiracy theories to explain this???

Cell reception must be better on that side

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I find it hard to take in that you'd say you have major anxieties around health but can be in a gym during the most contagious wave of the pandemics yet or that you'd think double masking cloth or surgical did literally anything to protect you from omicron. If you aren't wearing n95 or better you aren't protecting anyone.

If you're not tremendously Online about the pandemic most sources are gonna tell you that surgical masks are fine and if you are tremendously Online about it but not in this thread specifically most sources are gonna tell you that the real protection comes from shoving aspirin uo your peehole

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Believe me, I have been back and forth with the gym issue. I didn’t go back until this last wave went down a significant amount. And honestly, sometimes you have to do some risk calculation when it comes to certain things. I was out for one month while Omicron took over, and I could already feel the hugely negative effect on my mental health.

Kinda ironic to be risking my health while to try to improve my health… The whole thing is hosed. I’m at least only going to the gym while cases are low and well, when people are masked but now I’m not so sure?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think anyone is saying not to go to the gym period, just that you have to wear at least an N95 if you don't want covid.

Ymmv but it seems very doable for lifting. If you're struggling with it for cardio, you might want to change your cardio to something like jogging or biking outside, or trying to find a machine you can fit somewhere in your place.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I got boosted a week ago and couldn't see a mark where it went in and my other arm hurt like a bitch for days, anyone got any good conspiracy theories to explain this???

Your isomers got flipped, just like in Doorways in the Sand.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

liz posted:

Believe me, I have been back and forth with the gym issue. I didn’t go back until this last wave went down a significant amount. And honestly, sometimes you have to do some risk calculation when it comes to certain things. I was out for one month while Omicron took over, and I could already feel the hugely negative effect on my mental health.

Kinda ironic to be risking my health while to try to improve my health… The whole thing is hosed. I’m at least only going to the gym while cases are low and well, when people are masked but now I’m not so sure?

I don't know where you are but cases are not low anywhere. And yeah it's hosed. Nobody has any good news for you. But if you care about your physical health and the health of people around you at least wear an n95.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Always check your genitals. That's standard protocol when dealing with Big Pharma, especially when the men in black are the ones administering it.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

AARD VARKMAN posted:

The first shot was just a distraction. That's when they nab you with the real shot in the other arm (the real shot is full of chinese ebola measles and is specifically engineered to take down innocent hardworking white conservatives and no one else).

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E81owDP4Ro

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I still dont get why The Gym industry didnt try beta testing doing free weight stuff outside.

like dont go full crossfit crazy with tractor tires, just do some weatherized weights and adjustible benches.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PhazonLink posted:

I still dont get why The Gym industry didnt try beta testing doing free weight stuff outside.

like dont go full crossfit crazy with tractor tires, just do some weatherized weights and adjustible benches.

A fair number of the gyms out here actually did that--moving a lot of weights and equipment out in the parking lot (or other open space).

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

I don't know where you are but cases are not low anywhere. And yeah it's hosed. Nobody has any good news for you. But if you care about your physical health and the health of people around you at least wear an n95.

Cases are dropping everywhere right? They wouldn’t be opening stuff back up if it wasn’t good news. It’s basically post covid times at this point. I had a meal out yesterday with the wife and it was marvelous.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Betty no!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the good news is the old timey kind where you get introduced to jesus.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

I was loling when the gym people were organizing workouts on the statehouse steps or whatever as a protest about the gyms being closed. Like obviously you're doing just fine without being inside that room.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Betty Wight posted:

Cases are dropping everywhere right? They wouldn’t be opening stuff back up if it wasn’t good news. It’s basically post covid times at this point. I had a meal out yesterday with the wife and it was marvelous.

Cases have been going up and down since the pandemic began. I'm not sure why you want to say it's all over all of a sudden when this has happened numerous times before, although I wish it were too. It has been getting better, but that doesn't mean give up all precautions and start having sex with bats and pangolins. Do what you have to do but follow the guidelines and be cautious.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

that doesn't mean give up all precautions and start having sex with bats and pangolins. Do what you have to do

Make up your mind motherfucker

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Betty Wight posted:

The 7-day average in the US is falling but is still greater than the peak of the delta wave, lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
There will be some times that are better than other times, but it would take a hell of a lot to get to "post covid" times.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Zugzwang posted:

There will be some times that are better than other times, but it would take a hell of a lot to get to "post covid" times.

We're maybe getting there if the nasal vaccines work as intended, and don't get evolved around by a variant of covid, but until the meantime, we have an actual deltacron discovered in England, Australia, possibly France, and America too, so we're probably in for a few laughs until that happens though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

zone posted:

We're maybe getting there if the nasal vaccines work as intended, and don't get evolved around by a variant of covid, but until the meantime, we have an actual deltacron discovered in England, Australia, possibly France, and America too, so we're probably in for a few laughs until that happens though.
Seems like "deltacron" is more of a scary headline than an actual concern, though.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Seems like "deltacron" is more of a scary headline than an actual concern, though.

shhhhh, let them have this

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I would also like a good nasal vaccine :)

Seems like we’ll have to wait and see on Deltacron. It has cropped up in a few places. I imagine we are all dreading the eventual formation of a Unicron variant if a Uni[something] variant ever emerges that can have coronavirus sex with a [something]cron variant.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Zugzwang posted:

I would also like a good nasal vaccine :)

Seems like we’ll have to wait and see on Deltacron. It has cropped up in a few places. I imagine we are all dreading the eventual formation of a Unicron variant if a Uni[something] variant ever emerges that can have coronavirus sex with a [something]cron variant.

that comes from zoonosis from a dyslexic unicorn

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope we get a good variant name soon, these last few have been lame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I hope we get a good variant name soon, these last few have been lame.

Time to switch to metal band names.

Cattle Decapitation. Desecration. Napalm Death.

“Ah bugger I’ve tested positive, must be that Morbid Angel that’s going around”.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Stickman posted:

The problem with COVID when it comes to risk management is that the most likely outcome has always been that you’ll be end up being okay after one infection, even if you are high risk and unvaccinated. It’s just that it the odds are comparatively bad and it’s very high-risk infection to be so common. People who get it and come out okay often end up thinking their efforts to avoid infection were wasted when in reality they were simply some of the many lucky ones, and they or the people they infect may not be so lucky next time. It’s a feedback loop into fallacious thinking that’s a fundamental problem with public health (and risk management it general).

Exactly. Until we get form of lasting protection from the worst ravages of the virus (long-term damage, long covid, t cell depletion) by means of better vaccine, natural immunity (lol), or the virus using up all the low-hanging mutation opportunities, the concepts of "personal risk calculus" and "the pandemic being almost over (again, for real this time)" will be the carrot the wonk class uses to march the working class to continued death & long-term morbidity in the name of slightly better profits. Even the vaccinated are highly susceptible to long covid (or in media parlance, "don't worry, you're a full 54% less likely to contract it if you're vaccinated!"). And since you can contract Covid multiple times, even within the current wave, the potential for massive numbers of people (including perhaps even you dear reader) to get permanently maimed by multiple covid infections is still great. 1/4 of Americans have reported symptomatic covid cases, and each of those 87 million people (and the other ~90 million asymtomatic victims) has played Russian roulette with every one of a dozen organ systems covid is known to attack. People can get the virus and "feel fine" despite suffering multiple permanent organ injuries they probably won't even know about for 10 years, then go out and crow about how covid is no big deal.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 15, 2022

naem
May 29, 2011

no no, covid is over. we need no safety. because I have FEELINGS you see.

people are tired of safety, here let us argue semantics now. *cough cough*

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How have life insurance companies been weathering the storm? Presumably all the extra payouts they are having to make would play a role on their bottom lines, right?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

My zip code is at 2.6 % down from a peak of like 25% so yes, I actually consider that “low” compared to what we were dealing with around Christmas.

But yeah, better safe than sorry, I think I will go with the N95s either way.

Side note: today is my vaccinaversary :toot:

liz fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 15, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

A Strange Aeon posted:

How have life insurance companies been weathering the storm? Presumably all the extra payouts they are having to make would play a role on their bottom lines, right?

Looks like payouts tripled over typical years. I have seen a few articles that some are saying they wont pay out if you're unvaxxed.

But likely they're still making money hand over fist. That sixth yacht might need to wait a month or two.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

liz posted:

My zip code is at 2.6 % down from a peak of like 25% so yes, I actually consider that “low” compared to what we were dealing with around Christmas.

But yeah, better safe than sorry, I think I will go with the N95s either way.

Side note: today is my vaccinaversary :toot:

I just received a set of these bad boys

https://www.stealthmask.co.uk/collections/professional-masks/products/stealth-lite-pro-reusable-ffp3-facemask-5pk

They seem like a decent intermediary step between an n95 (hard to breathe through) and a full on elastomeric respirator.

I go back to the gym for the first time since Omicron started tomorrow. I've already tested the seal on the Stealth and it seems good, and I can already tell that it's way easier to breathe in. if you like I can let you know how it goes?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

naem posted:

no no, covid is over. we need no safety. because I have FEELINGS you see.

people are tired of safety, here let us argue semantics now. *cough cough*

It's more like, why the absolute gently caress are people like this allowed within 10 feet of the opinion section of "progressive" media outlets? Why do we have to tolerate 10 of these people spouting dumb poo poo for every one person professing a sober view of the situation? The line between journalistic incompetence and malpractice was never even allowed to be established before they started ordering people out to go get disabled.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

The 7-day average in the US is falling but is still greater than the peak of the delta wave, lol
im looking forward to three years from now when people are adding stock market tea leaf reading trend lines to case number graphs to show 'its definitely over this time for real guys'

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
My state's numbers are dropping rapidly, and I'm very glad to see it. Back to the gym next week, I reckon. That's going to feel so nice.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

S w a y z e posted:

It's more like, why the absolute gently caress are people like this allowed within 10 feet of the opinion section of "progressive" media outlets? Why do we have to tolerate 10 of these people spouting dumb poo poo for every one person professing a sober view of the situation? The line between journalistic incompetence and malpractice was never even allowed to be established before they started ordering people out to go get disabled.

when and if there's even one person that's a big improvement over the general state of media in the 2000s

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

when and if there's even one person that's a big improvement over the general state of media in the 2000s

I swear to god these talking heads have at least the body count of the iraq war shills

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

S w a y z e posted:

I swear to god these talking heads have at least the body count of the iraq war shills
When Mehdi Hasan had on media favorite Monica Gandi (whose ability to keep her job despite never being correct is truly inspiring), he played a clip of her saying "variants, shmariants" and asked her if maybe she should consider not making predictions anymore. Not long after (hours or the next day, I forget), she was tweeting about how we need offramps for masks in schools. :coronatoot:

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

Not great, Cotton

quote:

(The Center Square) – The head of Indianapolis-based insurance company OneAmerica said the death rate is up a stunning 40% from pre-pandemic levels among working-age people.

“And what we saw just in third quarter, we’re seeing it continue into fourth quarter, is that death rates are up 40% over what they were pre-pandemic,” he said.

“Just to give you an idea of how bad that is, a three-sigma or a one-in-200-year catastrophe would be 10% increase over pre-pandemic,” he said. “So 40% is just unheard of.”

Davison was one of several business leaders who spoke during the virtual news conference on Dec. 30 that was organized by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce.

Most of the claims for deaths being filed are not classified as COVID-19 deaths, Davison said.

“What the data is showing to us is that the deaths that are being reported as COVID deaths greatly understate the actual death losses among working-age people from the pandemic. It may not all be COVID on their death certificate, but deaths are up just huge, huge numbers.”

He said at the same time, the company is seeing an “uptick” in disability claims, saying at first it was short-term disability claims, and now the increase is in long-term disability claims.

“For OneAmerica, we expect the costs of this are going to be well over $100 million, and this is our smallest business. So it’s having a huge impact on that,” he said.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/ind...2c06725e2c.html