Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Jaxyon posted:

"college flings" is bisexual erasure. These people live extraordinarily long lives and those two have been emotionally close and working on the same mission for decades. You implied that making them lovers was a change from the books, and the only thing that changed was it explicitly being current. For all we know the only reason it's not active in the books is a because they're having to play it as them not being friends for political purposes and there's no travelling/sex ter'angreal to allow them to be together with nobody noticing.

Speaking of Traveling sex ter'angreal, in the show, when Moiraine goes through the portal portrait to meet Siuan, they're clearly in some fishing hut...somewhere that's definitely not the White Tower. So that makes me wonder, do Moiraine and Siuan have a pair of curio cabinets that open a gateway to some random fishing hut somewhere for...reasons? Or do they each have the means to make gateways to anywhere if they can somehow program them? Or (my theory), are they gating themselves into tel'aran'rhiod to meet each other for some...wet dreams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Killer robot posted:

So what you're saying is they use it exactly how everyone else does. Frequent, heavy handed, and with plenty of "why did you have to be such a child as to drive me to this?"

i guess i just don't find it that gross or weird, it's very tame. and doesn't actually happen that often given how long the series is. there's a payoff of sorts when it is used to break a forsaken even

anyway im sorry to even have participated in spankchat. i deserve...punishment

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

St0rmD posted:

Speaking of Traveling sex ter'angreal, in the show, when Moiraine goes through the portal portrait to meet Siuan, they're clearly in some fishing hut...somewhere that's definitely not the White Tower. So that makes me wonder, do Moiraine and Siuan have a pair of curio cabinets that open a gateway to some random fishing hut somewhere for...reasons? Or do they each have the means to make gateways to anywhere if they can somehow program them? Or (my theory), are they gating themselves into tel'aran'rhiod to meet each other for some...wet dreams?

My understanding is that it's definitely Tear, not t'a'r, and it's probably a ter'angreal that happens to work that way.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Brolander posted:

i guess i just don't find it that gross or weird, it's very tame? and there's a payoff of sorts when it is used to break a forsaken

Yeah I've never once seen the corporal punishment in the books as prurient at all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honestly that just kind of makes it weirder, to me.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

silvergoose posted:

My understanding is that it's definitely Tear, not t'a'r, and it's probably a ter'angreal that happens to work that way.

Ok, but why does a ter'angreal that just happens to open up into a peasant's house in Tear even exist? If it was made pre-breaking, presumably Tear itself, and most certainly that specific house didn't exist, so why would there be a gateway to there? And if it was made in more recent memory, how, if nobody knows how to make ter'angreal, or how to Travel? Or if the White Tower possesses a ter'angreal that can be programed for any destination anywhere, why is that being used by a couple of Aes Sedai pillow friends for sex hookups rather than being, you know, carefully controlled by the Hall as a key strategic asset? I mean, sure, it's the Amyrlin, but something that powerful would surely be more widely known and not just available for Moiraine to have installed in her bedroom, right?

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 15, 2022

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hexel posted:

Did any of the Wheel of Time companion books ever estimate the populations of Seanchan or Shara? How can the Corenne afford to send all these tradesfolk to Ebou Dar and Tanchico without their economy collapsing? Or maybe their land weathered the breaking better than Randland and their society is more advanced and flourishing?

Shara and Seanchan are both authoritarian societies that impose peace through force, so they've likely lost a lot fewer people than the constantly warring westlands. The Seanchan consolidation ended 200 years prior to the events of the books and presumably has been peaceful since (ignoring Semirhage murking the royal family). As for Shara, at one point an Aiel hears that there's war there and is very surprised, because there never is.

Also, does Seanchan have their version of the Blight? Not having constant invasions of Trollocs probably helps keep numbers up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

St0rmD posted:

Ok, but why does a ter'angreal that just happens to open up into a peasant's house in Tear even exist? If it was made pre-breaking, presumably Tear itself, and most certainly that specific house didn't exist, so why would there be a gateway to there? And if it was made in more recent memory, how, if nobody knows how to make ter'angreal, or how to Travel? Or if the White Tower possesses a ter'angreal that can be programed for any destination anywhere, why is that being used by a couple of Aes Sedai pillow friends for sex hookups rather than being, you know, carefully controlled by the Hall as a key strategic asset? I mean, sure, it's the Amyrlin, but something that powerful would surely be more widely known and not just available for Moiraine to have installed in her bedroom, right?

We dunno! It's very much not explained, and presumably will at some point.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The way the Seanchan fleet is described makes it seem huge, but not insanely so. The colonists are probably in the thousands, not tens or hundreds of thousands, which is still a really, really big settlement wave. Most of the initial colonization of the Americas was with groups of around 100-200, and there were about 150,000 convicts transported to Australia in the century or so the system was set up.

But even tens of thousands from an entire continent is not that extreme. Historically, most early modern nations had populations in the low millions even after the waves of plague and war.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I thought I saw someone say their meeting place is a dreamshard or something, and maybe you can make it look however you want? i need to rewatch everything

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

goethe.cx posted:

Also, does Seanchan have their version of the Blight? Not having constant invasions of Trollocs probably helps keep numbers up.

They do. There's some stuff in the books about how they cleared it out.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

All the Two Rivers cats are polydactyls :kimchi:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I've never once seen the corporal punishment in the books as prurient at all.

To clarify, I don't think they do either. I when I say that a number of societies "love corporal punishment" I mean in the run of the mill unhealthy hazing and abuse cycle mindset, where you can't make strong people without pain and humiliation flowing freely, and of course it's not cruel because everyone follows the same rules right?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gnoman posted:

The way the Seanchan fleet is described makes it seem huge, but not insanely so. The colonists are probably in the thousands, not tens or hundreds of thousands, which is still a really, really big settlement wave. Most of the initial colonization of the Americas was with groups of around 100-200, and there were about 150,000 convicts transported to Australia in the century or so the system was set up.

But even tens of thousands from an entire continent is not that extreme. Historically, most early modern nations had populations in the low millions even after the waves of plague and war.

Obviously, RJ never gives specific numbers, but I think we can infer by how quickly the Seanchan empire collapsed into civil war that the whole adventure put their system under a lot of strain, such that the disruption at the top toppled the whole house of cards.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

jng2058 posted:

Obviously, RJ never gives specific numbers, but I think we can infer by how quickly the Seanchan empire collapsed into civil war that the whole adventure put their system under a lot of strain, such that the disruption at the top toppled the whole house of cards.

The Seanchan Empire was fundamentally structured around conquest. Hawkwing's kid went over there at the head of an army, and took hundreds of years to actually conquer the place, so for that entire time the whole political system was oriented around that goal. And then when they finally finished the conquest, all of the nobles and traders and whoever were used to a system where their money/political power came from conquering stuff. So they came up with the Correne as a new outlet for conquest because that kept their military-industrial complex rolling along with them at the top. Which I think implies that the civil war was always going to happen, after the main force of the invasion got smashed up by Rand at Falme and the conquest largely stalled out.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Except Pike very hints that it's t'a'r, or at least somehow connected to the dream. She talks about "other worlds" in response to questions about that object.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

silvergoose posted:

Same. Read the first half of the books as a horny teen and it wasn’t a sexy thing.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The Seanchan Empire was fundamentally structured around conquest. Hawkwing's kid went over there at the head of an army, and took hundreds of years to actually conquer the place, so for that entire time the whole political system was oriented around that goal. And then when they finally finished the conquest, all of the nobles and traders and whoever were used to a system where their money/political power came from conquering stuff. So they came up with the Correne as a new outlet for conquest because that kept their military-industrial complex rolling along with them at the top. Which I think implies that the civil war was always going to happen, after the main force of the invasion got smashed up by Rand at Falme and the conquest largely stalled out.
This is a good analysis - but there's also multiple references to small rebellions and civil war in Seanchan that have been happening for ages. I think there's even references of some rebellions having their own damane. Which makes sense to me, it's a giant continent, so it can be largely peaceful and have a large population, but still have some smaller infighting going on that keeps the armies experienced.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The books said the empires military kept in shape because there where constant uprisings and rebellions all the drat time.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

How are u posted:

He'll ask the Dark One to join the polycule.

Data Graham posted:

The DO will be personified as a young girl like in The Last Temptation of Christ

When the show was first being discussed this thread did posit that the series would work best as an anime...

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 15, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Except Pike very hints that it's t'a'r, or at least somehow connected to the dream. She talks about "other worlds" in response to questions about that object.

Huh, hadn't heard that. I thought Rafe had said it's definitely Tear.

Shows what I know! Dreamshard or something would certainly make more sense to me.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

silvergoose posted:

Huh, hadn't heard that. I thought Rafe had said it's definitely Tear.

Shows what I know! Dreamshard or something would certainly make more sense to me.

It was an Amazon X-Ray: "Moiraine utilized ter'angreal in her room to open a gateway to a hut in the the (sic) Fingers of the Dragon Delta, where she met with Siuan Sanche, the Amyrlin Seat".

It one million percent makes more sense if it was tel'aran'rhiod, or one of those pocket realms inside tel'aran'rhiod like Ishy was always playing with, but official word is that it's the world's most insanely convenient double gateway.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It was an Amazon X-Ray: "Moiraine utilized ter'angreal in her room to open a gateway to a hut in the the (sic) Fingers of the Dragon Delta, where she met with Siuan Sanche, the Amyrlin Seat".

It one million percent makes more sense if it was tel'aran'rhiod, or one of those pocket realms inside tel'aran'rhiod like Ishy was always playing with, but official word is that it's the world's most insanely convenient double gateway.

Yeah that must have been where I saw it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

quote:

Interviewer: I have to ask very quickly and i don’t know if you’ll be able to answer this question but, that private space the two of you met, that looked like the fisherman’s shack that Siuan grew up in. What was that? Where were you?

Rosamund: Well it’s the idea, a bit like, that we’ve each got this angreal, in our room, that’s the painting. You know that painting that Moiraine has in her room. It allows her to enter this kind of parallel world - that does exist- but it’s like a portal into another world that’s just separative - sorry?

Interviewer: No no I’m just thinking. I’m listening and–

Rosamund: But it’s not a dream, you know it’s not a dream, it’s real, it’s a portal into another space that is a space that probably is somewhere near the white tower, but it’s not in the white tower. It’s like a space that they can each access without going through the town and, but only through this painting that must remain incredibly secret. It would be wonderful, wouldn’t it, it’s like a secret passage. But it is of course exactly inspired by the fishing hut that we see in the beginning of her as a child….

…But it’s not a dream, which I know some people wondered if it was a dream, it was real.

From a podcast called Tar Valon or Bust apparently.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CainFortea posted:

From a podcast called Tar Valon or Bust apparently.

Why is it an either/or? We know that there are plenty of nice busts in Tar Valon

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Looks like Priyanka is taking up the flame and the void in her downtime. From her IG today:

Please enjoy my new favorite WoT meme:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Also: there was a new WoT book announced today

https://twitter.com/tordotcom/status/1493590351461994498?s=21

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Now I can finally learn that Rand is inspired by Jesus

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

goethe.cx posted:

Now I can finally learn that Rand is inspired by Jesus

and Lucifer. Lord of the Morning and all that.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

rocketrobot posted:

and Lucifer. Lord of the Morning and all that.

Makes sense, since he's not exactly Christlike for much of the series

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Speaking of new books, I wonder if uh.. once Harriet passes and the book rights pass to another, will they allow future WoT novels to be written?

I wouldn’t mind Mat and Tuon’s adventures in Seanchan. Even some AoL pre-pre-quel action. There’s so much ripe material there :(

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Nice!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just got to the part in my reread where Tuon offers to buy Mat from Tylin :chloe:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey Rafe when Lan faces down Demandred please change his line to "I'm just one man", alluding to his Aiel title

Tia

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gnoman posted:

I believe at some point or another they make it clear they have hundreds of thousands of troops in the Return.

I think they lost a 100k army Arad Doman alone.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

What do y'all think Josha is filming? Sky battle over Falme?

February should be their last month of filming which means they must be on episodes 7 & 8

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I wonder if they will shell out for the rights to wheel in the sky by journey for season two

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Jaxyon posted:

I believe at some point or another they make it clear they have hundreds of thousands of troops in the Return.

I think they lost a 100k army Arad Doman alone.

Most of that 100k army was explicitly locally recruited troops. That's how the local Great Captain was able to do as much damage as he did - he disguised his forces as local Seanchan formations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Brolander posted:

I wonder if they will shell out for the rights to wheel in the sky by journey for season two

JUST
THE
TWO
OF
US

having swordfights in the sky
Just the two of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Gnoman posted:

Most of that 100k army was explicitly locally recruited troops. That's how the local Great Captain was able to do as much damage as he did - he disguised his forces as local Seanchan formations.

They did also have a 3-400k army of troops from Seandar, iirc they were just using those to prep for the attack on Illian after Rand blasted them all the way back to Ebou Dar in TPoD. That's why they sent the guy in the north after Ituralde using mostly local levies instead of veterans.