Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Seriously if he’d been of age they would probably have given him coke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/13/us/american-air-emergency-landing.html

quote:

An American Airlines flight from Los Angeles to Washington, D.C., made a rapid emergency landing in Kansas City, Mo., on Sunday afternoon after an unruly passenger tried to break into the cockpit and then attempted to open an exit door, witnesses said.

The passenger was subdued by crew members and other passengers. He was taken into custody after the flight landed.

In a statement, American Airlines said the flight, American Airlines Flight 1775, landed safely in Kansas City, where law enforcement officials met the plane. Charles A. Dayoub, an F.B.I. special agent in charge in Kansas City, said in a statement that the passenger was taken into custody after “interfering with the flight crew.”

Stacy Day, a spokeswoman for the airline, said that the passenger was “ultimately subdued by our crew and with the help of other passengers.”

Carlos Rojas, 33, was among the passengers who intervened. He said he had been dozing off while sitting a row behind the first-class section when the lights in the plane were abruptly turned back on. He took his headphones off and noticed a struggle between flight attendants and a passenger in the front of the plane. A nearby passenger enlisted Mr. Rojas, an Air Force reservist, to assist the flight attendants.

The man at the center of the altercation, who appeared to be middle-aged, seemed distraught and paranoid, Mr. Rojas said. Earlier in the flight, he added, others saw the passenger pace the aisles.

“When I went up, it looked like the guy was trying to open the exterior door of the plane to the outside,” Mr. Rojas said. “So we were kind of keeping him from doing that and just trying to subdue him and make sure that he was taken down and everybody was OK.”

Mouaz Moustafa, a passenger from Washington, described a chaotic scene as the plane started descending into Kansas City without warning after the struggle with the passenger.

He said the man tried to get into the cockpit and then tried to exit via the main door before he was held down by several passengers.

“A flight attendant ran to the back of the plane and got the coffee pot and continues to bash the guy on the head,” Mr. Moustafa said in an interview as the plane was being held on the tarmac. The man was “bleeding profusely,” he added.

“I honestly thought today I might die,” he said.

Ultimately, it took three flight attendants and three passengers, including Mr. Rojas, to restrain the man, move him to the floor and then bind his hands and ankles with tape and zip ties provided by the flight attendants, Mr. Rojas said. The passenger remained on the floor for about 15 minutes until the plane landed and the authorities collected him, Mr. Rojas said.

As Mr. Moustafa, 37, was being interviewed by phone from his seat, the pilot came by and talked to the passengers about how the man had tried and failed to open the cockpit door.

Disturbances on flights have surged during the coronavirus pandemic, and many of the incidents have involved passengers who disagree with mask mandates.

Last year, the Federal Aviation Administration conducted more than 1,000 investigations of unruly passengers — more than in the previous seven years combined.

Karen Maria Alston, who lives in Washington, said she was sitting in the 17th row of the plane watching the movie “Dune” when she saw some men rush into the first-class section. She was not able to see what was happening, she said, but the commotion and the plane’s ensuing descent were frightening and “extremely stressful.”

“I need a drink and I am so thankful,” Ms. Alston said in a text message after the plane landed in Kansas City.

She said that passengers waited on the plane as officers with the Federal Bureau of Investigation conducted interviews with witnesses.

Then, told to disembark, the passengers waited for about three hours in the Kansas City airport, unwinding from their tense shared experience and celebrating the three passengers who intervened.

Mr. Rojas and other passengers huddled around a little television by a bar, unwinding and watching the Super Bowl, “just making the best out of the situation,” he said.

Three hours later, they were back on the plane headed to Washington.

Try to disrupt the flight? You get the pot.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Those stories are always more cathartic when the idiot gets the poo poo kicked outta them.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Source4Leko posted:

Those stories are always more cathartic when the idiot gets the poo poo kicked outta them.

When they are anti mask idiots or just a regular violent loudmouth yeah, but it sounds like this guy was having a mental breakdown so it just sucks all around.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
They should give the FAs tranquilizer pistols.

No, I can't conceive of any issues. I will not be taking any questions.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tactlessbastard posted:

They should give the FAs tranquilizer pistols.

No, I can't conceive of any issues. I will not be taking any questions.

The pilots already have a means to incapacitate the entire plane. Signal the FAs to put on supplemental oxygen and depressurize the cabin.

It's a lot easier to belt and/or zip-tie an rear end in a top hat's wrists and legs when they're unconscious.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The pilots already have a means to incapacitate loving murder the entire plane. Signal the FAs to put on supplemental oxygen and depressurize the cabin.

It's a lot easier to belt and/or zip-tie an rear end in a top hat's wrists and legs when they're unconscious. dead.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
But it worked in The Langoliers!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The pilots already have a means to incapacitate the entire plane. Signal the FAs to put on supplemental oxygen and depressurize the cabin.

It's a lot easier to belt and/or zip-tie an rear end in a top hat's wrists and legs when they're unconscious.

Can you actually do that? I thought a depressurization would automatically drop the o2 for everyone. Can they override that?

I am pretty sure they can drop the masks without a depressurization, but I didn't think they could stop it in a real event?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 14, 2022

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
it's also a profoundly dumb idea from top to bottom but i'm pretty sure Big Headline knew that

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Psion posted:

it's also a profoundly dumb idea from top to bottom but i'm pretty sure Big Headline knew that

:colbert:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

kill me now posted:

When they are anti mask idiots or just a regular violent loudmouth yeah, but it sounds like this guy was having a mental breakdown so it just sucks all around.

Yeah, I was getting ready to bathe in some just desserts but this really does sound like a mental health issue. Hopefully someone on the flight was aware enough to understand that and no one got a shot or two in for the sake of it when they had him wrapped up.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Question for airline pilots

Many years ago a girlfriend related a story to me about an uncle or cousin of hers who was a newbie flight attendant. As the story went that after the plane, some typical sort of airliner, was fueled and ready to go he decided to open the door for some reason. After the door was opened he found that it couldn't close and seal properly again because the weight of the fuel had changed the geometry of the airframe enough that it just wouldn't fit. They had to empty the fuel, close the door, and refuel before they could leave. This doesn't sound terribly far fetched, but is it true?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

slidebite posted:

Can you actually do that? I thought a depressurization would automatically drop the o2 for everyone. Can they override that?

I am pretty sure they can drop the masks without a depressurization, but I didn't think they could stop it in a real event?

Even if they did drop automatically, the crazy anti-maskers on the flight aren't going to put them on. Problem solved.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

Many years ago a girlfriend related a story to me about an uncle or cousin of hers who was a newbie flight attendant. As the story went that after the plane, some typical sort of airliner, was fueled and ready to go he decided to open the door for some reason. After the door was opened he found that it couldn't close and seal properly again because the weight of the fuel had changed the geometry of the airframe enough that it just wouldn't fit. They had to empty the fuel, close the door, and refuel before they could leave. This doesn't sound terribly far fetched, but is it true?

I recall this being an issue with the overwing exit doors on fully loaded 747 classics and DC-10's. Never heard of that with main cabin doors though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Related: you may not have realized that a plane's height on the ground changes with weight. As more fuel, bags, and people are loaded the plane lowers as the landing gear compresses and vice versa.

This causes an issue with boarding. If the jetway was stationary it would eventually change from being level with the aircraft to being a big step up or down. Yet you don't see a person at the control panel making constant adjustments. How do jetways stay level automatically?

This little wheel:

As the aircraft moves up and down the wheel rotates and sends a signal that tells the jetway height to move in sync.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 15, 2022

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
The next time I fly somewhere you'd better believe it is going to be the most difficult thing ever not to just give that wheel a little tickle on my way past.

drat you, I'm getting arrested, aren't I.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looks like it's outside of the walkway, so good luck.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kalleth posted:

drat you, I'm getting arrested, aren't I.

If you're lucky, if you're unlucky you'll get a finger crushed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Aren’t you supposed to keep the cabin door open while you refuel?

Spent way too much time freezing my rear end at YVO, if that ain’t true I’m gonna have to hunt down some FAs.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like it's outside of the walkway, so good luck.

That picture looks like it was taken from the walkway and even if it wasn't, I've definitely seen that wheel before and never knew what it did. I always assumed it was just to keep from scratching the paint like the dryer at the car wash.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

That picture looks like it was taken from the walkway and even if it wasn't, I've definitely seen that wheel before and never knew what it did. I always assumed it was just to keep from scratching the paint like the dryer at the car wash.

Yeah same, I assumed it was a feeler to keep the jetway from crashing into the plane and messing up the paint!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I always thought it was a grounding wheel to keep the airplane and jetway at the same electrical potential so nobody gets zapped.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I always thought it was a grounding wheel to keep the airplane and jetway at the same electrical potential so nobody gets zapped.

same, i've wondered about it for years and years now, glad to know what it's for.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Midjack posted:

Yeah same, I assumed it was a feeler to keep the jetway from crashing into the plane and messing up the paint!

Seems likely it's both that and the feedback to adjust height all in one.

I wonder if they have to design in extra reinforcement for the skin surrounding doors to make sure jetways don't crinkle poo poo up.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

lilbeefer posted:

C.W. Lemoine in his last funded flight was quite sad. I have been watching him for a few years. Average music choice but I feel for the dude, he clearly loves his job.

He seems like an OK dude, I assume he isn't a massive chud (or at least keeps politics away from his videos). His mate Gonky I haven't paid much attention to over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yii8vrvxUfI

Dude is a massive chud, sorry. In his video about his last flight in the regular forces, he was talking about how proud he was wearing a thin blue line flag on his flightsuit. Also I think he was/is a cop as well?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Ah drat, that's a shame

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, he's basically a giant prick with a cult of personality among a number of DCS players.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Amazing stories. I’m sure that’s years of frustration coming to the point of one coffee pot.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Ward Carroll seems pretty chill though

Can't wait for him to get milkshake duck'd

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Ward Carroll seems pretty chill though

Can't wait for him to get milkshake duck'd

That's the F-14 guy right? He's a Trumpist, check the titles on his early videos

E. I take that back, went back and watched the things.
A more charitable reading is he's somewhat apolitical and disapproves individual criminal behaviour but refrains from not respecting any person who has been elected president of the USA.
Which is ridiculous when faced with the visage that is Trump.

Besides all the good qualities his videos have, it does bother me that he has a nationalistic "flavour" or starting point on things. It's a personality thing maybe, still I do not like the idea of avoiding ugly subjects or scathing self criticism because you were part of a milorg. Hell, makes it more important to do it if anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap0TxiLMMoE

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 15, 2022

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

BobHoward posted:

Seems likely it's both that and the feedback to adjust height all in one.

I wonder if they have to design in extra reinforcement for the skin surrounding doors to make sure jetways don't crinkle poo poo up.

It's a useful tool for lining up the bridge with the aircraft, but in the bridges I used to drive it did not prevent you from hitting the aircraft with the bridge. There wasn't anything that would stop the bridge (at least not on the walkway part. There is a loop around the wheel below to prevent you from driving it over vehicles or rampies). I'd imagine that with the huge variety of sizes and shapes it'd be difficult to create a simple way of making a safety.

It'd slow when it was close (it had a proximity sensor), but if you were super dumb you could ram the bridge in to the aircraft just fine.

Once it's in position, you'd engage the auto-level (the wheel), and if you were being monitored, there's a sensor on a tether you place between the walkway floor and the aircraft door so that the door doesn't accidentally get ripped off. That was an automatic stop.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've been listening to The Fighter Pilot Podcast which is OK and there's some stuff said by the host here and there that hints at a big Christian mindset and ultra patriotic. It seems most social media fighter pilot personas I've heard lean that way.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Kerosene19 posted:

I recall this being an issue with the overwing exit doors on fully loaded 747 classics and DC-10's. Never heard of that with main cabin doors though.

I'll use this as an excuse to post the vid showing that 777s blow an explosive charge to retract the spoiler closest to overwing door when you open it in an emergency

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Jimmy Carter posted:

I'll use this as an excuse to post the vid showing that 777s blow an explosive charge to retract the spoiler closest to overwing door when you open it in an emergency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IBKI6RDH-s&t=24s

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AzureSkys posted:

I've been listening to The Fighter Pilot Podcast which is OK and there's some stuff said by the host here and there that hints at a big Christian mindset and ultra patriotic. It seems most social media fighter pilot personas I've heard lean that way.

I thought I remembered reading (likely in this thread) that the air force academy, and thereby the whole goddamn air force, had been infiltrated by evangelicals

I don't remember if naval aviation is the same

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Zero One posted:

This little wheel:

Learning has occurred. Every once in a while standing in the jetbridge I've felt it move a bit, and I always thought it was fixing its own height in a closed loop, after sagging. I didn't realize it's following the airplane. Neat!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That's the F-14 guy right? He's a Trumpist, check the titles on his early videos

E. I take that back, went back and watched the things.
A more charitable reading is he's somewhat apolitical and disapproves individual criminal behaviour but refrains from not respecting any person who has been elected president of the USA.
Which is ridiculous when faced with the visage that is Trump.

Besides all the good qualities his videos have, it does bother me that he has a nationalistic "flavour" or starting point on things. It's a personality thing maybe, still I do not like the idea of avoiding ugly subjects or scathing self criticism because you were part of a milorg. Hell, makes it more important to do it if anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap0TxiLMMoE

The one where he tells the story of almost getting court-martialled for going on Fox News too much in the Bush years should speak for itself

At best it exhibits a stunning naivete about how media outlets work for a guy who was on a book tour

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 15, 2022

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Is there anyone in this thread with their FAA medical who's on an SSRI / taking ADD medication that could roughly outline the hurdles I'm going to encounter trying to get a class 2-3 medical?

I've done some light reading on the medical certification process and unless I'm mistaken everything I'm reading leads me to believe taking Adderall and SSRIs that are not explicitly approved are automatic non starters without expensive waivers and approvals

I've been taking SSRIs and ADD medication since I was a child, the better part of 20 years now.

Which leads me to my next question... How many people are lying to their medical examiners about the medications they're taking?

Currently chasing my PPL with roughly 20 hours of flight time logged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The way my AME put it was: "you can put anything you like on this form. Nobody's going to look into it after it gets filed. Except if you bust a regulation or run into someone on the taxiway, in which case they're going to look into absolutely everything, and then you'd better have told the truth."

I don't have any specific advice about psychiatric drugs, though, sorry. The Aviation Megathread is where most of the pilot chat happens, though (this thread is airplane chat) so you could ask in there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3821398

What country are you in? In the USA you need a medical to solo, and you must be coming up on that with 20 hours, so oh right I guess that's why you're asking.