Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

DarklyDreaming posted:

I mean White Dragon isn't exactly The Joker or Lex Luthor but he's been a part of DC comics for a while and showed up in a few well known story arcs, most notably as a recurring Suicide Squad antagonist. How do these guys get to call themselves nerds if they fail to recognize characters like that?

I know why, we all know why
These guys suck but this is really overstating things, the "White Dragon" isn't Lex Luthor or Joker, he's not even Crazy Quilt or Bloodsport. He's maybe like... Tally Man or Massacre level? His full publication history:

1. White Dragon is introduced as a racist armor-wearing villain named Daniel Ducannon for a subplot in 3-4 issues of Hawkman/Hawkworld written by Suicide Squad co-creator John Ostrander in the early 1990s, gets blown up and died.
1a. In 1996, presumably this same White Dragon is one of dozen supervillains resurrected and powered up in the Underworld Unleashed event series by Satan Neron, appears in a few big group panels but again, doesn't get any dialogue and isn't even explictly named.
1b. This same White Dragon (presumably) appears in the Joker: Last Laugh event of 2000, where he is now basically a Jokerized Human Torch who runs around laughing and shooting flames for a couple of pages before getting zapped.
2. A new(?) White Dragon emerges in the mid-2000s for two issues of Justice Society of America as part of a group of Nazi supervillains called THE FOURTH REICH, He has no fire powers, and is introduced getting knocked out by Hawkman. In the second isue he is knocked out off-panel by Power Girl. He also doesn't appear to have any dialogue.
3. John Ostrander writes a Suicide Squad revival mini-series in 2008 that brings back the White Dragon armor and reveals that William "William Hell" Heller, a one-off William Tell-themed white supremacist Suicide Squad villain from the late 1980s now has the armor. He is one of several disloyal Squad members in that mini-series, actually gets some dialogue and motivation, and then is murdered in the final battle.
4. Bill Willingham brings back the FOURTH REICH in his Justice Society run, set in an alternate future where the Fourth Reich takes over the world. There is a White Dragon in the initial arc, who is an unnamed person who has no dialogue and rides a literal white dragon around and is zapped out of the sky and presumably killed.

For some level of "well known story arcs" I guess Johns's JSA run and the Suicide Squad revival story are relatively well known, but he plays a vanishingly small part in the former. We're talking under two dozen appearances over thirty years, with the lion's share of those being appearing in big group fights, and half of them either without the White Dragon name/armor or it being unclear who is supposed to be in the armor, and none of them having any relationship to the character of Peacemaker, who himself was pretty obscure and unloved prior to getting cast in a movie. I barely remembered him and I have clearly spent too much time thinking about comic books.

Again, the people in that video can go gently caress themselves but I keep seeing comments to this effect "of course the White Dragon, well known Suicide Squad and Peacemaker villain" out in the wild and it confuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BiggerBoat posted:

Look at this liberal media. TEN whole steaks were stolen?!?! TEN?!

Hey, I was wondering how Tim B^Uckley was doing these days!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Appears that LGBCoin's page is down too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Sarah Palin just lost her libel lawsuit against the NYT (it was such nonsense that the judge summarily threw it out).

Sounds like the trial was a fun farce, including Palin shouting "objection" from the witness stand! and some impressively paltry claims of damages:

https://twitter.com/TheePurity/status/1491998432830967811

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FMguru posted:

Sarah Palin just lost her libel lawsuit against the NYT (it was such nonsense that the judge summarily threw it out).

Sounds like the trial was a fun farce, including Palin shouting "objection" from the witness stand! and some impressively paltry claims of damages:

https://twitter.com/TheePurity/status/1491998432830967811

Lol, she's trying to sue for liabel but can't possibly admit any weakness and therefore can't say there was any damages.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So how much is she gonna have to pony up in the counter-suit?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Republicans posted:

So how much is she gonna have to pony up in the counter-suit?
I would hope the NYT doesn't bother with that, it seems like a waste of time

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.rawstory.com/mike-lindell-minnesota-bank/
Mike Lindell pouts as Republican-controlled 'coward' bank officially shuts down his accounts this week

"MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell revealed on Monday that he has been notified that one of his banks will officially close his accounts this week because the institution is wary of his campaign to overturn the 2020 election.
Lindell said last month that Minnesota Bank & Trust and Heartland Financial USA had threatened to close his accounts.

During an appearance on Real America's Voice with host Steve Bannon on Monday, Lindell presented a letter that was sent to him by Minnesota Bank & Trust. According to Lindell, the bank will officially close his accounts on Feb. 18. He complained that the bank had threatened to take further action if he leaves the account with a negative balance.

Lindell said that accounts being closed included Lindell TV and FrankSpeech, platforms used for denying the results of the 2020 election.

"What cowards, they're just cowards. Unreal," Lindell moaned."

They stated they were doing this after Mikes phone records were subpoenaed by the Jan 6 committee.

This is funny since right now Trumps accounting firm Mazar thats been with the family since Fred is now dropping him stating that they cant say that they can verify any records he has supplied for the last 10 years.

No one wants to be associated with vermin.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Appears that LGBCoin's page is down too.

i dont get why so many dumb people fall into buttcoinz, especially shitcoinz. like if something has units of 0. 000 000X$ units and its not bulk dirt why would I want that?

also good job getting a pixelated piece of poo poo pic.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

how does something trade at literally zero anyway

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

PhazonLink posted:

i dont get why so many dumb people fall into buttcoinz, especially shitcoinz. like if something has units of 0. 000 000X$ units and its not bulk dirt why would I want that?

Because it's going up uP UP! Buy now while it's cheap!!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Bitcoin and NFTs are just MLM's for techbros.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Madmarker posted:

Bitcoin and NFTs are just MLM's for techbros.
Yes except MLMs aren’t going to crash the global economy in a year or two when this bubble pops

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes except MLMs aren’t going to crash the global economy in a year or two when this bubble pops

Oh yeah, the fallout is going to be horrific.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
one of the buttcoin threads posted a recent article of some buttcoin site that specialized in retirement accounts doing the thing that keeps happening to butt site.

I mean its good that their imaginary nest egg breaks know instead of later, but lol.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It isn't. It means that someone has set the price at 0 (or no trades happened) and no one wants to be assed to log on, and pay for whatever nonsense they use to maintain the network for free coins.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

FlamingLiberal posted:

You also forgot that most MLMs aren't making climate change worse by having power consumption equal to entire countries.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its not zero, the x in my post is a non zero number with 6 or more decimal places. a lot of coinz have decimal zeros of 6 or more.

coiners jack off to something called fractionalization and they think you can add coinz to anything and buy and sell fractions of a coin like stock shares.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"the most fun 90 seconds of [her] life"? What a dig at her husband.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

You also forgot that most MLMs aren't making climate change worse by having power consumption equal to entire countries.
Yes that is the bigger long-term problem

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is a tangent, but I've been thinking about this a lot lately. The fallout is going to be ugly, but I don't think we're talking "crash the global economy" ugly at all. There will be a lot of losers, and I'm sure there will be knock-on effects, but I think being creatures of the internet has caused us (myself included) to overstate just how big all this stupid poo poo actually is.

The total market cap for Bitcoin right now is $839B (approx. the GDP of Turkey), most of which is speculatively inflated and fictional. The total market cap for Ethereum, $372B (approx. GDP of Nigeria), ditto--maybe a little less, in that there's more actual money that's probably gone into it, but not enough to change the calculus. The scariest one, due to the obvious "stablecoin" scam being run, is Tether, around $78B (approx. the Dominican Republic). The US GDP is about $20,000B and the EU GDP is about $17,100B.

Those numbers make it look like Bitcoin is huge, but that's comparing the amount of actual-money going through a domestic economy in a year to the speculative cost of the total stock of that cryptocurrency. The "market cap" of the United States is close to 200% of GDP, so about $40,000B. And while the buttcoin types will hiss "fffffffiat" like Ferengi hiss :females: and while yes, the very scary inflation monster is being bandied about, we're talking about a currency with floor value. Because the US government will still take US dollars to pay US taxes no matter what, so there's actual value there so long as the US government exists.

I could totally be wrong about this, but my squint-at-it estimate is that the cash equivalent of that US$1.2T of Bitcoin+Ethereum+Tether is probably a lot closer to, like...a real-world loss of maybe US$250B if that all went to zero. Maybe. It's weird, because forked chains "retain value" sometimes despite being 1:1 collections of cryptocurrencies (think Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash) so their numbers are even more made up than the actual economy's. I think we're talking about the real-world effect of something like Coca-Cola ($260B market cap) getting snapped out of existence. Certainly noticeable, but not catastrophic. And less noticeable than if Coca-Cola did disappear tomorrow, because 1) I like some of their fine carbonated beverages, and 2) they actually transact with other companies in real money that is used to pay employees.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 15, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
To meaningfully affect the real economy the big institutional investors and banks would have to be exposed to NFT funny assets. Some crypto scam collapsing doesn't lead to real banks going insolvent.

I think a crash is going to affecty primarily individuals whose tulips are suddenly worthless, but it won't turn out that Deutsche Bank's reserve consisted of crypto girls NFTs.

(However, that would be the funniest option, so I kind of hope this happens)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I agree that the big investment houses have stayed out of crypto (for now), but when I see celebrities pushing crypto to normal people who have no idea what it is, that gets me concerned.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

It's pretty much the same thing as G. Gordon Liddy or whoever the gently caress hawking gold on Fox News. Bad, but not indicative of systemic danger IMO.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I agree that the big investment houses have stayed out of crypto (for now), but when I see celebrities pushing crypto to normal people who have no idea what it is, that gets me concerned.

Most of the celebs pushing it are as invested in crpyto as Morgan Freeman is in Turkish airlines.

The main problem with crypto is that morons with actual, big boy money have gotten into pushing crypto (Musk, Thiel) and while they don't have enough financial clout to make Crypto actually successful, they do have enough clout to make its death prolonged, nasty, and extremely public.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's like any other endorsement contract. "Hey, something called 'BAYC' is offering you $1 mil to say something good about NFTs. I've written up some talking points right here, we can fit it between you recording commercials for Subway and Flex Tape. I dunno, something about monkey pictures."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

EDIT: my bad, posted a fake

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 15, 2022

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

EDIT: my bad, posted a fake

To be fair (and as people are pointing out on Walsh's tweet whining about it) it sounded exactly like something he would say, as backed up by things like his fake gender studies documentary and the time that he blamed pedophilia in the church exclusively on the existence of gay priests. Or the time he freaked out about a man playing Red Riding Hood(?). Or the times he defended Josh Duggar and gave a half-hearted "well I regret doing so" long after everyone else knew what a disgusting scumbag he was.

Point is that it's easy to get suckered by a fake tweet posted by a joke account when the person it's targeting is an odious piece of poo poo normally.

But yeah anytime I see a tweet that's represented as a screenshot I immediately check to see if it even exists, as a rule.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1493601284695412745

"“My guess is that most of the people who are loyal Zero Hedge followers naturally are inclined to mistrust the U.S. government anyway,” he said, “and so this announcement is probably not going to undermine most of Zero Hedge’s core support.”"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zero Hedge would be pretty far up there in a list of places that I thought would be influenced by foreign propaganda.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yo BB, replying to page 3100. Wow.

I keep worrying that someday soon-ish people will really buy into crypto in a big way (because goddamn are we stupid). Is crypto itself bad enough (my guess is yes) that it just cannot grow to be that huge due to the whole "trusted currency owner cashes out to fiat money and runs away."

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 15, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Zero Hedge would be pretty far up there in a list of places that I thought would be influenced by foreign propaganda.

My brother used to link me zero hedge articles with headlines that always were very damning and awful. The content never actually supported any of the claims though.

It was pretty lame mostly.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
As far as a crypto crash tanking the economy goes though I just don’t see it.

If you bought or mined a $1000 of crypto and then it rode the bubble up to $20k and then crashes back down to $1000 then sure, on paper a ton of money was lost but in reality nothings change except a fool lost out on some ROI.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Murgos posted:

If you bought or mined a $1000 of crypto and then it rode the bubble up to $20k and then crashes back down to $1000 then sure, on paper a ton of money was lost but in reality nothings change except a fool lost out on some ROI.

It can't tank the economy. It wasn't the collapse of the housing market on its own that collapsed the economy - it was the many times larger market betting on those mortgages that did it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

PJ O'Rourke, the one funny conservative who didn't watch bad movies with puppets, passed away at 74.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Murgos posted:

Crypto took a pretty heavy hit in the past month and the markets responded by yawning.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Inspector Gesicht posted:

PJ O'Rourke, the one funny conservative who didn't watch bad movies with puppets, passed away at 74.

Ah, in my younger days of listening to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, I would enjoy him. I don't think I've listened to that show in over 10 years now.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I sell you one of my doots for a dollar. I then print a million doots. The “market cap” (qua coiners) of the doots is now one million dollars even though there is only one extractable dollar in the doot ecosystem (but there’s a great community)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What a coincidence, I just watched A Futile and Stupid Gesture the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Ah, in my younger days of listening to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, I would enjoy him. I don't think I've listened to that show in over 10 years now.

The last time I heard it, Carl Kassel was still giving people custom voicemail greetings to use as their prize. It’s been at least ten years since I’ve heard an outgoing voicemail greeting that wasn’t just the default.