Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

FlamingLiberal posted:

Biden doesn't actually care about forgiving student debt and the admin clearly places a higher priority on 'the economy is perfectly fine! don't look behind you!' -type messaging over actually doing something to help his voters

Haven't you heard, we're in the Biden boom! (Please don't compare the number of created jobs to the COVID death count)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Fatuous lords will always find a reason they're going to lose and can't even fight, in fact not fighting is actually the smart and brave option!

We need Liu Bei and instead we have 535 Yuan brothers. Half of them dilettante cowards and half of them hoping to just hold on until everyone else has magically died and they win by default. Look I know the Empire is collapsing but... what about my treasures and position?

BTW we're at the part of the story now where we're just waiting to see what group of bandits seizes the Mandate of Heaven after the Empire collapses.

Which is why I'm currently reading up on how to become a Taoist wizard. Get yourself a strip of yellow cloth and let's get ready to surprise everyone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

If you simply reject the premise that Democrats winning elections is better than Republicans winning elections, then no, there’s no reason for you to care.

The popularity or unpopularity of Biden’s decisions affects every competitive election in the country.

I'm only concerned with Dems winning elections as a means to an end, not as an end unto itself. If they refuse to do good things because they're worried about losing elections, then they're being entirely self-serving. I'm not going to get into the millionth rehash of the "but the Republicans are worse!!!" argument.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

JonathonSpectre posted:

Which is why I'm currently reading up on how to become a Taoist wizard. Get yourself a strip of yellow cloth and let's get ready to surprise everyone.

One does not become a Taoist wizard, one simply ceases to believe they are not.

You can also be a Pope but you have to fill out a web form.

e: strictly speaking the form only creates a card acknowledging your popeishness.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JonathonSpectre posted:

Fatuous lords will always find a reason they're going to lose and can't even fight, in fact not fighting is actually the smart and brave option!

We need Liu Bei and instead we have 535 Yuan brothers. Half of them dilettante cowards and half of them hoping to just hold on until everyone else has magically died and they win by default. Look I know the Empire is collapsing but... what about my treasures and position?

BTW we're at the part of the story now where we're just waiting to see what group of bandits seizes the Mandate of Heaven after the Empire collapses.

I guess forming China 2 isn't too bad of an outcome here

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm only concerned with Dems winning elections as a means to an end, not as an end unto itself. If they refuse to do good things because they're worried about losing elections, then they're being entirely self-serving. I'm not going to get into the millionth rehash of the "but the Republicans are worse!!!" argument.

So instead we get the millionth rehash of "but the Dems are bad!!!" argument?

I mean, I don't imagine more than 1 or 2 people total in this thread disagree with that. If even that.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

JonathonSpectre posted:

So the true winner of this tumultuous time isn't even on anybodies radar yet?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

it's also correct in the spirit if not the letter as the plot of the movie is Rambo going to afghanistan to join the mujaheideen

Well, he went there to rescue COL Trautman who was being held by the Soviets. The Mujahedeen assisting him was happenstance.

Kinda like Rambo fighting the evil Burmese government forces in Rambo IV with the assistance of the Karen rebels. He was more interested in saving the missionaries than involving himself with Burma's internal conflict.

Anyway, people should read the original novel, First Blood. Rambo hunts and kills a bunch of sheriff's deputies like he's the Predator, and Trautman is not seen as a kindly mentor in any way.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

PeterCat posted:

Anyway, people should read the original novel, First Blood. Rambo hunts and kills a bunch of sheriff's deputies like he's the Predator, and Trautman is not seen as a kindly mentor in any way.

The original cut of First Blood had Trautman blowing Rambo's head off at Rambo's own request (Trautman was happy to do it)

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The original cut of First Blood had Trautman blowing Rambo's head off at Rambo's own request (Trautman was happy to do it)

Not happy to do it, basically Rambo commits suicide with Trautman's hand.

This is used in Rambo's nightmare in Rambo IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp1mdSQ4BfI

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Louisville "attempted assassination" case gets strange.

quote:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A local activist and columnist has been arrested in connection with firing a shot directly at a Louisville mayoral candidate.

On Monday night, Louisville Metro Police announced Quintez Brown, 21, was arrested and charged with attempted murder after he allegedly fired shots into Craig Greenberg's campaign office on Monday morning. He is also facing four counts of first-degree wanton endangerment.

Police responded to the report of shots fired Monday morning at the Butchertown Market at 1201 Story Avenue, where Greenberg's campaign has an office.

Greenberg was not hit by a bullet, but a round hit his clothing, according to Louisville Metro Police Chief Erika Shields.

"All of us are blessed, and I'm blessed to be standing here today with you. Despite one bullet coming so close that it grazed my sweater and my shirt, no one was physically harmed and we are extraordinarily grateful for our safety," Greenberg said. "We are shaken, but safe."

Police say they took Brown into custody outside of Butchertown Market. Shields said his motive remains under investigation and it appears that he acted alone.

Brown, who is currently running as a independent candidate for Louisville Metro Council District 5, went missing for 11 days last summer.

When Brown was found last summer, no further information was released from police.

"We are asking for privacy and would appreciate everyone's patience and support while we tend to the most immediate need, which is Quintez's physical, mental and spiritual health," the statement from Cecilia Brown and Jacobe Daughterty said in July 2021.

Brown, who has been active with Black Lives Matter Louisville and the University of Louisville's Youth Violence Prevention Research Center, spoke to WDRB News in June of 2020 after demonstrating in downtown Louisville daily to voice his frustrations with how black people have been policed throughout the country.

A report by The Courier Journal in 2021 said he worked as an intern for the newspaper and has been a frequent contributor to the outlet's opinion section.

He also spoke out in 2019 about his discomfort with armed police serving as school resource officers in Jefferson County Public Schools.

This story may be updated.

Brown had a mental health breakdown last year which was the reason he went missing for 11 days and ended up turning up in New York. Look forward to see this story on Fox News non-stop for the next 2 years.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Thank you for posting this - I've seen this a hundred times and always assumed it was legit.
Aren’t both of those real? I thought they edited and then removed the message on different home releases as it became politically inconvenient.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

kdrudy posted:

So the true winner of this tumultuous time isn't even on anybodies radar yet?

S'how it usually goes. Especially given involvement in current US politics destroys your credibility better than anything else.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

AmiYumi posted:

Aren’t both of those real? I thought they edited and then removed the message on different home releases as it became politically inconvenient.

Nope.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

We're now 3 years from when Trump served fast food to the Clemson University Tigers, in celebration of their victory in the N.C.A.A.'s football championship.

If you don't remember why Trump served fast food, it's because the government shutdown over his refusal to sign a spending bill without $5 billion for the border wall in it. Eventually he relented and signed a bipartisan bill that did not have the funding for the border wall in it. Then he turned around and declared a Federal state of emergency on February 15, 2019 which allowed him to divert money from the DoD to his wall and and he got what he wanted anyway.

On February 11, 2021 President Biden canceled the state of emergency, thereby canceling money to the wall and the funding for, among other things, the deployment of the National Guard to the border. Then quietly re-activated the Guard mission in July, 2021 with funding coming from the CARES Act under the auspices of controlling the spread of Covid.

What strikes me about this is how Trump wasn't afraid to let things grind to a halt to get what he wanted, and when that didn't work, he found a way to get his main campaign promise funded anyway, while Biden seems ready to throw up his hands at the slightest resistance and declare the presidency a powerless office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergency_Concerning_the_Southern_Border_of_the_United_States

Now, a lot of lawsuits held up the transfer of funding from the DoD, and Trump didn't get nearly as much wall built as he wanted, but he went for it just the same.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seriously, I want to take this picture back to like September of 1980 and run it on national television just saying "This is image is from 40 years in the future. This is what electing Ronald Reagan leads to. Good luck, America." and see what happens.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

Seriously, I want to take this picture back to like September of 1980 and run it on national television just saying "This is image is from 40 years in the future. This is what electing Ronald Reagan leads to. Good luck, America." and see what happens.

Reagan would win in even more of a landslide, likely.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What? Seriously? The US Consumer Safety Commission has a fandom in the furry community and has publicly acknowledged it?

They've been doing this for years and it rules pretty hard. When I had my kid, I followed them on twitter because of hot tips like the tv tipping thing and weird possum giving advice on the safest ways for infants to sleep. They do - occasionally - make serious tweets, which can be pretty jarring. I once saw them go from "Here's the predator photoshopped behind a guy who left his kid in the pool" to "Here's an incredibly serious video of a recalled, unsafe treadmill just sucking a toddler up under it as he screams. BTW there have been multiple deaths, please send your treadmill back."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Cronenberg's work didn't convince them, and that would? Pshhht

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Biden doesn't actually care about forgiving student debt and the admin clearly places a higher priority on 'the economy is perfectly fine! don't look behind you!' -type messaging over actually doing something to help his voters

Oh he cares. He cares about NOT doing it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Congress is considering a gas tax holiday for the rest of the year after reports that oil prices are likely to continue to rise throughout the year.

It would reduce gas prices by 18 cents per gallon. This would further drain the Highway Trust fund and is probably bad policy in that we should be incentivizing not using gas instead of an implicit assumption that government will try to keep gas cheap for consumers.

https://twitter.com/TonyRomm/status/1493556947878129671

The Democratic establishment has cut Conor Lamb loose in PA.

But, he still has a base of support in western PA and a new Super PAC that he will try to use to catch up to Fetterman in fundraising. His strategy is to "vet" Fetterman by highlighting the jogger incident and other personal controversies that haven't been aired yet that he believes will show he is less electable.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1493568282460405762

quote:

The left neutralizes the Dem establishment in Pa. Senate primary

Conor Lamb is the kind of swing-state Senate candidate who used to make Democratic power-brokers swoon.

A former Marine and prosecutor, Lamb catapulted onto the national scene in 2018 when he flipped a House seat that former President Donald Trump carried by nearly 20 points. President Joe Biden said the young, centrist lawmaker reminds him of his late son, Beau.

Yet for all his pedigree as a battleground state candidate, Lamb remains mired in the Democratic primary for Pennsylvania’s open Senate seat, trailing progressive frontrunner Lt. Gov. John Fetterman in both fundraising and the polls. Even more surprising: The party establishment hasn’t swooped in to help Lamb, despite the fact that Democratic leaders have aggressively recruited candidates with a profile like his to run for Senate in the past.

Lamb’s predicament offers a window into how much the Democratic Party has changed in recent years: Progressives have gained a major foothold, small-dollar fundraising has upended election dynamics, and moderate white men like Lamb are no longer shoo-ins.

“I think it probably has to do with not wanting to wade in and anger the progressive base, because Democrats need a progressive base to turn out,” said Mike Mikus, a Democratic strategist who is a veteran of Senate and House campaigns in Pennsylvania. “I understand why they’re staying out. It can cause a lot of headaches with various constituent groups as well.”

The primary is just getting started — no Democratic candidate has even aired a television ad yet. Lamb’s campaign argues that he has a strong case to make to Democratic voters that he is the most electable candidate in one of the premier Senate races in the country. His team remains convinced Fetterman has major liabilities that will sink him once they become widely known.

In an interview, Lamb downplayed Fetterman’s strengths in the primary.

“Polling is nowhere near as reliable as people like him make it out to be, particularly this early in a race, so many months before so many people have learned much about us or made up their minds. So in my opinion, the score is 0-0 and the entire game is left to be played,” he said, adding, “If online fundraising was what determined these elections, you’d have either Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump as the president.”

In sketching out his path to victory, Lamb said he can bring together both voters from western Pennsylvania, his home base, and the populous southeastern part of the state, where he has won endorsements from top elected officials and labor groups such as Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney and the city’s powerful building trades.

“I knew I could appeal in both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, and right now I’m the only candidate doing that,” he said. “We’re picking up steam out here because these people want a winner, and at the end of the day, what sets me apart from every other candidate in this race is that I have won very high-pressure, difficult campaigns against Republicans.”

To convince voters of that, Lamb will first need to introduce himself to them. Despite receiving national attention for his 2018 congressional victory, Lamb is not widely known outside of western Pennsylvania. Fetterman, the only candidate in the Democratic field who has run and won statewide, is leading in public and private polls. Last year, Fetterman also raised nearly $12 million from a massive network of small-dollar donors, compared to $4 million for Lamb.

In some internal surveys, Lamb has been virtually tied with state Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta, who would be the first openly gay and Black senator in Pennsylvania if successful. Kenyatta collected only $1.5 million in 2021, but has received endorsements from groups such as the American Federation of Teachers, Working Families Party and SEIU Pennsylvania.

Mustafa Rashed, a Philadelphia-based Democratic consultant, said that Pennsylvania already has “the quintessential white male moderate” in the Senate, Democrat Bob Casey, which might make primary voters more willing to take a chance on a different kind of candidate.

“Pennsylvania has sent however many white men to the United States Senate since the start of the commonwealth’s founding,” said Rashed, who is not working for any campaign in the Senate primary. “And we’ve mostly gotten the same thing out of that. The fired-up part of the Democratic Party thinks we can get a different outcome if we sent a different kind of person there.”

Both Lamb and Fetterman are white men. A white woman who had been running in the primary, Montgomery County Commissioner Val Arkoosh, dropped out earlier this month. EMILY’s List, a powerful group that supports women who champion abortion rights, had been backing her.

Fully aware of the need to appeal to Black voters, Lamb has been aggressively courting African American elected officials and labor leaders. In Philadelphia, Ryan Boyer, the head of the city’s building trades, who is Black, is a top supporter.

But Lamb’s efforts to prove that he is the best candidate to take on Fetterman in the primary — and the eventual Republican nominee in the fall — haven’t always been successful. At a recent meeting, the Pennsylvania Democratic Party declined to endorse anyone in the Senate primary, a setback for Lamb. While he won a majority of votes from committee members, he failed to meet the threshold necessary to win the party nod.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee has also stayed out of the contest so far, likely to the detriment of Lamb. That’s a turnaround from previous election cycles, when Democrats in Washington often sought to avoid competitive, resource-depleting Senate primaries by hand-picking candidates. In the race for this same seat in Pennsylvania in 2016, the DSCC recruited Katie McGinty and officially endorsed her.

“We’re keeping open lines of communications with all of the candidates, we’re assessing the campaigns, and we’re working to build the infrastructure for the general election,” said Patrick Burgwinkle, senior communications strategist for the DSCC. “We haven’t issued endorsements in any challenger races — yet — but we are not taking anything off the table.”

Mikus, who served as McGinty’s campaign manager in 2016, said the DSCC weighing in could “get messy,” particularly a time when Democrats are gladly watching the candidates in the state’s GOP primary tear into each other.

“Malcolm is the only African American candidate. Fetterman has got kind of the Bernie base,” he said. “Especially when you have a Republican primary [that is] so messy right now, you don’t want to throw mud on yourself when the other party’s doing it to themselves.”

Former Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, who has not endorsed a candidate in the primary, said he does not expect DSCC to ultimately get involved. He attributed that to the fact that Fetterman and Lamb are “two fairly strong candidates, number one. And number two, I believe the argument that Lamb may be the best candidate to win in the fall, but the polls haven’t shown anything like that yet.”

One of the major benefits of having the DSCC’s backing — whether explicit or implicit — is fundraising. Lamb’s allies are confident that he will raise enough money to compete with Fetterman regardless, though. And a Lamb campaign aide said, “As long as the DSCC is not closing doors to us for fundraising or for support or things like that, then that’s fine. Obviously, it would be better if they were opening those doors, but as long as they’re not closing them … we can work with that.”

A recent development could help Lamb close the money gap with Fetterman: A pro-Lamb super PAC, which is looking to raise more than $8 million, has emerged. A document promoting the group listed the firm founded by Biden’s pollster, John Anzalone, as part of the team.

James Carville, the longtime Democratic strategist, boosted the pro-Lamb super PAC in a recent email to potential donors. He said Democrats must win Pennsylvania’s Senate seat to keep control of the chamber, and Lamb is the surest bet in the general election.

“I don’t think Pennsylvania Democrats are looking to the DSCC particularly for guidance,” he told POLITICO. “I don’t think the lack of involvement on the part of the DSCC is very significant at all.”

Lamb’s campaign believes that Fetterman has not yet been properly vetted in the crucible of a tough campaign, and is coasting on name ID. As one weakness, they point to the fact that Fetterman once pulled a shotgun on a person he thought might be involved in a shooting, but who turned out to be an unarmed Black jogger. Fetterman has said he did not know the race of the man.

Lamb’s opponents, in turn, think that his record as a moderate makes him unacceptable to many Democrats, particularly at a time when centrist Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) have drawn the ire of the party base for stymying Biden’s agenda. They believe the Lamb’s voting record — the congressman voted in line with Trump’s position 68 percent of the time during his first eight months in office, according to the website FiveThirty Eight — is poison. Lamb’s campaign argues that’s a cherry-picked statistic, since the same data shows he voted with Trump overall only 22 percent of the time.

Elaine Giarrusso, a liberal activist in western Pennsylvania who has supported Lamb since his 2018 run, said he can win over progressives in the Senate primary “simply because he listens to them and does not rule anything out.”

She added, “A lot of progressives are realizing that we are something of a minority and that it’s better to not push for and expect to get everything you want, and lose a general election.”

Ultimately, Lamb is making a bet that voters will care more about the ability to win in a general election than pass any ideological litmus test. In essence, he wants to do what Biden did in the 2020 presidential primary. Lamb’s success will depend, in part, on whether he can paint Fetterman, who won on Gov. Tom Wolf’s ticket in 2018 and is not a self-described socialist, as unelectable as Bernie Sanders.

“I still believe that our party is going to make a decision in this race, like they did in 2020, about who has the best chance of actually winning in November and getting to the Senate,” Lamb said. “Even when it looks like Twitter and other things are so important.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

On the Republican side in PA, it is still technically anyone's game. But, Dr. Oz has a nearly 2 to 1 lead over the next closest candidate.

https://twitter.com/RobertCahaly/status/1493329723904114688

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mellow Seas posted:

- Biden would be accused of not supporting the military, which is the most popular institution in the country. Some people would find that persuasive.

And you don't think this is a perception easily countered by pointing out that, you know, we're not in a war in Afghanistan anymore?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dr Oz figured out the Trump Cheat Code- just be a TV personality and you can win a GOP primary no problem

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dr Oz figured out the Trump Cheat Code- just be a TV personality and you can win a GOP primary no problem

Do you think it's only GOP primaries? I honestly don't know.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm not really sure what people are arguing about with the military budget anymore. Other than some abstract concept that the President doesn't decide the budget.

Biden didn't want to cut the military budget, he didn't want to increase it 3.22%, and he didn't care enough about that extra 3% that congress appropriated to make a huge deal about it. There isn't a mystery there.

Sort of related, but the one thing that nobody seems to talk about when discussing cutting the military budget is that the U.S. has a very large standing army and that is very expensive.

All new procurements are only about 1/7th of the military budget, so if you cancelled every truck, clothing, missile, contract, and computer order and never ordered anything new, then you would cut the defense budget by about 1/7th.

Salary and direct benefits are just under half the military budget. When you add in healthcare, administration, pension funding, and civilian DoD costs, then you get up to about 54%. Maintenance for real estate and equipment is the next biggest chunk at ~20%.

The only way to meaningfully reduce our military spending is to drawdown our standing army, recruit fewer people, and enforce early retirements for non-commissioned members. Once you have the overall standing army count down, then you can get further decreases by reducing the maintenance and real estate spending since you have fewer troops to resupply and need fewer bases.

Everybody fights to the death to protect their local bases, though. Some towns have bases for no real reason and they are basically what the entire town's economy is centered around.

One of the good things Bill Clinton (and to a smaller degree, George H.W. Bush) did was drawdown the size of the military by 15% and had plans for further force reduction.

But, that only lasted about 6 years until George W. Bush was elected and he reversed it, then 9/11 happened and he not only reversed it, but undid all the previous force reduction and expanded the number of active-duty troops even higher than it had been in the 80's.

Nobody really wants to balance/cut the military budget by making the army smaller and forcing retirement/phaseouts for non-commissioned officers, though. Even Bernie Sanders, who had the most aggressive defense spending reduction plan, only barely touched them by just saying they would recruit fewer replacements over 10 years.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 15, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t think he wins the general

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Maybe that'll be the re-entry method for Al Franken, given his recent foray into testing the me-too waters to see if they're any warmer than they were when he resigned.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t think he wins the general
I meant Dem primaries - whether it's only GOP that has that knee-jerk famous and agrees with me equals good.

Absolutely agree on the general; dude's a lightweight even in politics these days.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm not really sure what people are arguing about with the military budget anymore. Other than some abstract concept that the President doesn't decide the budget.

Imma stop you right there.

Can people just express discontent without having to make a broader point?

What would you, specifically, Leon, like to see out of posters like myself decrying the ludicrous amounts of money that get thrown at the MIC (with regard to Ukraine, most specificall the "I" part of that, since we're not :actually: going to war, just warming another country to wage theirs in the hopes we'll get a killer deal on importing resources) when we can't even care for our citizens at home? It's a controversial topic, and I certainly don't plan to cease highlighting the lassez-faire attitude our government has towards MIC spending when it insists that we have to tighten our belts domestically.

Weapons coming out of our stock means POs go out to Lockheed Martin and Boeing and Northrop Grumman to replace our/NATOs stockpiles, those companies make money on those purchase orders, and then in 10 years Ukraine separatists will be using the same weapons we sent over there to conduct operations against US forces across Europe, meanwhile President Manchin will have vetoed medicare for all or a UBI dozens of times during the first year of his term.

The entire Ukraine situation is performative of exactly where the values of our government lie - and it's not in lifting up the common citizen.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

(with regard to Ukraine, most specificall the "I" part of that, since we're not :actually: going to war, just warming another country to wage theirs in the hopes we'll get a killer deal on importing resources)

It's not ":actually:", it's not some pedantic point, it's not spin or "Demsplaining," we are literally, unquestionably not going to war, and the people who are posting as if the situation was otherwise are wasting everybody's time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

What would you, specifically, Leon, like to see out of posters like myself decrying the ludicrous amounts of money that get thrown at the MIC (with regard to Ukraine, most specificall the "I" part of that, since we're not :actually: going to war, just warming another country to wage theirs in the hopes we'll get a killer deal on importing resources) when we can't even care for our citizens at home? It's a controversial topic, and I certainly don't plan to highlight the lassez-faire attitude our government has towards MIC spending when it insists that we have to tighten our belts domestically.

Weapons coming out of our stock means POs go out to Lockheed Martin and Boeing and Northrop Grumman to replace our/NATOs stockpiles, those companies make money on those purchase orders, and then in 10 years Ukraine separatists will be using the same weapons we sent over there to conduct operations against US forces across Europe, meanwhile President Manchin will have vetoed medicare for all or a UBI dozens of times during the first year of his term.

The entire Ukraine situation is performative of exactly where the values of our government lie - and it's not in lifting up the common citizen.

Yes, but I'm talking about Vox and other people trying to discern what % of the military budget Biden truly wanted in his heart vs. just looking at what he signed and proposed. Yes, he didn't write the final budget, but he did sign it without much complaint. It seems like it started with a pedantic defense of Biden because he technically didn't write the budget since only Congress can and has sort of spun off into metaphysical debates about what percentage of responsibility each individual member of Congress and Biden hold based on what they "really" wanted.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 15, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

Maybe that'll be the re-entry method for Al Franken, given his recent foray into testing the me-too waters to see if they're any warmer than they were when he resigned.

He has been hosting a politics podcast (very cursed) in the time since then which I only bring up to note that he typically has guests on them. Just taking a gander, Tammy Duckworth was on a recent episode and some other notable dem names like Chris Coons and Adam Schiff have been on within the past year too. Dunno about how it's faring for him in the eyes of the public but it sure seems like he's gradually getting rehabilitated within his own party!

(To make it extra cursed, at one point he had one of the Lincoln Project founders as a guest on his podcast too.)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

It's not ":actually:", it's not some pedantic point, it's not spin or "Demsplaining," we are literally, unquestionably not going to war, and the people who are posting as if the situation was otherwise are wasting everybody's time.

Right, we're not going to war. We're just helping Ukraine wage theirs, by equipping them with rockets that cost $175,000 every time one gets fired. We did this overnight, at the behest of a nation with a vast and rich availability of mineral resources to be exploited, and people are dying and starving in the streets at home.

What do you gain by :actually:ing over if we're spending money "going to" war or "financing a" war?

I won't accuse you of doing it with intent - I think you're better than that - but you're unintentionally bogging down any meaningful talk with tactics literally out of the CIA playbook:

https://www.hsdl.org/?abstract&did=750070

This does not advance a conversation or a meaningful transfer of ideas- it frustrates it - by design.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It took a while to get there, but I'm glad we're all finally on the same page regarding the US going to war with Russia or not.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

It took a while to get there, but I'm glad we're all finally on the same page regarding the US going to war with Russia or not.

Yeah, we're sending everything but the troops - coincidentally, we're sending all the parts that cost the most and generate purchase orders for arms manufacturers to resupply our reserves with!

I fail to see a meaningful difference.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

This does not advance a conversation or a meaningful transfer of ideas- it frustrates it - by design.

It's easy enough to ignore pedantry and move on, if it's not what you want out of the conversation.

Though also, I'd argue simply venting is similarly not furthering a meaningful transfer of ideas:

Lib and let die posted:

Though I'm all about implementation being as much if not more important than naming the goal when trying to get something done. A concerted call to draw down our standing forces would be much more effective, IMO, than the usual general carping about Pentagon too big that's become background noise since Ike.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes, but I'm talking about Vox and other people trying to discern what % of the military budget Biden truly wanted in his heart vs. just looking at what he signed and proposed. Yes, he didn't write the final budget, but he did sign it without much complaint. It seems like it started with a pedantic defense of Biden because he technically didn't write the budget since only Congress can and has sort of spun off into metaphysical debates about what percentage of responsibility each individual member of Congress and Biden hold based on what they "really" wanted.
Yes, you got it in one

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

Right, we're not going to war. We're just helping Ukraine wage theirs, by equipping them with rockets that cost $175,000 every time one gets fired. We did this overnight, at the behest of a nation with a vast and rich availability of mineral resources to be exploited, and people are dying and starving in the streets at home.

What do you gain by :actually:ing over if we're spending money "going to" war or "financing a" war?

I won't accuse you of doing it with intent - I think you're better than that - but you're unintentionally bogging down any meaningful talk with tactics literally out of the CIA playbook:

https://www.hsdl.org/?abstract&did=750070

It's not "haggling over precise wording". It's pointing out the actual, unambiguous definition of words.

I don't think you're intentionally being a loving dipshit about this, but here we are.

We're not "financing a war". Russia (allegedly) wants to start a war. We are trying to prevent one. And considering the vast, vast difference in the danger to American lives and the expenditure of American wealth, as well as our actual culpability in starting the conflict, what we are doing is not a difference in degree but in kind from "starting a war". Of course, everybody knows that, so I don't even know why I'm arguing with you and your indefensible position.

If Russia feels that her soldiers are threatened by American-supplied arms, then I would suggest the following course of action: Don't invade and attempt to conquer a sovereign nation.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah, we're sending everything but the troops - coincidentally, we're sending all the parts that cost the most and generate purchase orders for arms manufacturers to resupply our reserves with!

I fail to see a meaningful difference.

The most obvious one I can think of is the US not going to war and invading anyone, which seems like a pretty big one to me.