Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

Conversion is an event where you inherently lose your anonymity. You click an ad and then you buy poo poo = the company you're buying poo poo from knows your name. So if this thing means the company now won't know exactly which ad I clicked before buying poo poo, that counts as an improvement I suppose.

IDGI though, I don't think this solves anything for anybody. It looks like this is mostly a Facebook thing rather than a Mozilla thing, and I don't get what Facebook gets out of it.

Let's assume the tech is bullshit. It's based in advertising, so of course it is, even if it works.

For Facebook: association with a 'trusted' brand? "Look what we tried to do, we're good now."

For Mozilla: association with another obscenely wealthy ad company who might give them money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

Firefox never stores duplicate history entries for multiple visits to the exact same URL. The "places" database which drives history has one row for each unique URL, and if you visit it again it just increments the visit counter by 1, it doesn't create a separate row. Wordle is the same site and URL every time so it won't appear multiple times in the history. It's less an exact audit log of every site you visit in perfect order and more an aggregation of all the sites you've visited, ordered by the recency of your latest visit. Otherwise there would be heaps of duplicate entries for every time you refreshed your Twitter feed or whatever.

I really wish it would store the first time I visited a site too. There's even an "added" column in the UI that's always blank.

Trying to dig through a past bunch of sites gets extra annoying when I have to open them all up in private windows so the history entries don't jump around.

And for what it's worth the duplicates in chrome have never bothered me and chrome doesn't store actual refreshes.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Aside from the fact I use uBlock Origin on any browser because I'm not a loving animal, I don't think I've ever deliberately clicked on an ad. In my recent mucking around with Linux distros, for the craic I sometimes go to random sites before I install UO and some of them are absolutely unusable.

Great example is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html - it's a British tabloid piece of poo poo that I sometimes take a look at for the hyperbole, and without a content blocker it is absolutely horrifying.

What are ads like these days for the accuracy of serving up stuff one might actually be interested in?

You deserve everything you get and more for voluntarily going to the daily mail. That one is on you.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Inceltown posted:

You deserve everything you get and more for voluntarily going to the daily mail. That one is on you.

Absolutely missing the point.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Weird thing happened with my 97 update, it looks like the addons and themes page is busted and it broke my UBlock Origin install. A reinstall fixed UBlock, but it's still strange.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Echophonic posted:

Weird thing happened with my 97 update, it looks like the addons and themes page is busted and it broke my UBlock Origin install. A reinstall fixed UBlock, but it's still strange.

Do you have a userchrome.css with UI customization? That is a thing that can happen if some CSS is targeting something that changes in an update. Extensions can't touch pages like about :addons, but userchrome can.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Aside from the fact I use uBlock Origin on any browser because I'm not a loving animal, I don't think I've ever deliberately clicked on an ad. In my recent mucking around with Linux distros, for the craic I sometimes go to random sites before I install UO and some of them are absolutely unusable.

Great example is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html - it's a British tabloid piece of poo poo that I sometimes take a look at for the hyperbole, and without a content blocker it is absolutely horrifying.

What are ads like these days for the accuracy of serving up stuff one might actually be interested in?

On one hand, you're entirely right; large swathes of the Web are horrible and nearly unusable messes without an adblocker.

On the other hand, I'm kind of uncomfortable with how the adblocker teams are now the gatekeepers that decide if a site without other income will be viable or not. My partner is trying to make a living writing a tech site, and his adblock ratio is something like 75%. That's kind of to be expected; he jokes that he should have picked a subject with a less tech savvy audience.

What's worse is how he has an ongoing struggle with the major ad blockers to keep a non-intrusive "I see you're using an adblocker; consider disabling it so I get paid" text box and a small donation button (underneath the article) unblocked - it's like they're trying to make sure he can't earn anything.

e: Not that this is a new problem - and I don't have any good suggestions for a solution.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 14, 2022

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The only kind of ad I am ok with has been those tv style infomercials that are a part of youtube authors' videos. No interaction with the device so it's as secure as it gets and I don't think youtube gets a cut.

Maybe your partner should start a video blog?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Computer viking posted:

On one hand, you're entirely right; large swathes of the Web are horrible and nearly unusable messes without an adblocker.

On the other hand, I'm kind of uncomfortable with how the adblocker teams are now the gatekeepers that decide if a site without other income will be viable or not. My partner is trying to make a living writing a tech site, and his adblock ratio is something like 75%. That's kind of to be expected; he jokes that he should have picked a subject with a less tech savvy audience.

Sometimes I wish adblockers had a mode that made it look to the server like the ad had come through normally. That is, it'd download the ad, have a sandbox in the background where any executable components can play, and generally do everything except actually display it to the user. I'd happily turn that mode on for sites I liked.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm trying to remove that useless "other bookmarks" folder from the bookmarks menu. i'm on a mac with firefox 97.0. I read that you can change browser.toolbars.bookmarks.showOtherBookmarks in about :config to false and that should work - but after doing so and restarting firefox, it's still there. any other ideas?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1019911#answer-628013 maybe?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 14, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Klyith posted:

Do you have a userchrome.css with UI customization? That is a thing that can happen if some CSS is targeting something that changes in an update. Extensions can't touch pages like about :addons, but userchrome can.

I was running the ShadowFox css patcher at one point, but I disabled it a long time ago since it didn't solve the problem I had. My current profile doesn't have any CSS modifications that I know of.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Powered Descent posted:

Sometimes I wish adblockers had a mode that made it look to the server like the ad had come through normally. That is, it'd download the ad, have a sandbox in the background where any executable components can play, and generally do everything except actually display it to the user. I'd happily turn that mode on for sites I liked.

There is an add-on called adnauseum that hide ads rather than displaying them. It can also clicks on hidden ads (discarding any responses).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

actionjackson posted:

I'm trying to remove that useless "other bookmarks" folder from the bookmarks menu. i'm on a mac with firefox 97.0. I read that you can change browser.toolbars.bookmarks.showOtherBookmarks in about :config to false and that should work - but after doing so and restarting firefox, it's still there. any other ideas?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1019911#answer-628013 maybe?

Ugh, I had completely forgotten I still had that stupid drat folder sitting there, mocking me.

Hope you find a solution and post it, because now it's going to bug me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Computer viking posted:

What's worse is how he has an ongoing struggle with the major ad blockers to keep a non-intrusive "I see you're using an adblocker; consider disabling it so I get paid" text box and a small donation button (underneath the article) unblocked - it's like they're trying to make sure he can't earn anything.

e: Not that this is a new problem - and I don't have any good suggestions for a solution.

You've probably thought of this but I think the only good solution for this is to build a Patreon following.
Easier said than done, I know.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

~Coxy posted:

You've probably thought of this but I think the only good solution for this is to build a Patreon following.
Easier said than done, I know.

Yeah. The downside is that if the patreons get any benefits, he's suddenly selling goods or services from a European country and needs to start thinking about VAT. IIRC Patreon can help for certain categories but not others, and there's a new European one-stop VAT solution that may help, and there's special considerations when selling to people in your own country.

It's probably not too bad in practice, but it feels like one of those things you should have a plan for before you start.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

actionjackson posted:

Do you not have a "Show Other Bookmarks" toggle in the right-click menu on the Bookmarks Toolbar? I've got it in Firefox 97 on Ubuntu Linux 20.04.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Grey Area posted:

Do you not have a "Show Other Bookmarks" toggle in the right-click menu on the Bookmarks Toolbar? I've got it in Firefox 97 on Ubuntu Linux 20.04.

no, I saw something about that but it doesn't show up for me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Computer viking posted:

I suspect they don't like that the message is being served through what is essentially adblock detection and circumvention technology. I would expect a plain donation link that shows up for everyone will be left alone. I should hope that that's the case anyway.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

actionjackson posted:

no, I saw something about that but it doesn't show up for me

Maybe changing that about :config option removed it for you? I'm using the latest Firefox beta on Windows and I have the "Show Other Bookmarks" toggle.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nalin posted:

Maybe changing that about :config option removed it for you? I'm using the latest Firefox beta on Windows and I have the "Show Other Bookmarks" toggle.

I changed it back and it's the same. I'm on a Mac so maybe that's why? anyone else here using firefox on OS 12.1?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Firefox Mobile app updated recently and now sometimes my 3 Android buttons sometimes just don't render lol. I have to go to the screen that shows all your open tabs if I want to change apps now.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Yup. The stop/reload button in the menu is iffy, too- though I have the address bar at the bottom, FWIW.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How would I go about migrating to another browser from FF?

I have a ton of logins and history and poo poo that I want to keep.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PirateBob posted:

go to the other browser, use the import function. bookmarks, history, and saved passwords should all just come right in if the other browser is competent.

extension settings & data are another matter. some extensions have export functions so you can back up all the user data, for example ublock has a "back up to file" button on the settings screen. anything that doesn't have that feature you'll have to do manually.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
And just as magically as it was broken, my add-ons menu is fixed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Embedded tweets are broken again.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Loading slowly for me, but I can still see the embeds.

Last time embeds went all fucky, this was posted to fix it:

Klyith posted:

FF 94 introduced JS site isolation, and 95 turned on for all sites & users by default. It's a new security system that keeps javascript from different sites contained in separate processes.

I believe the JS isolation is turned on & off with fission.autostart in about :config if you want to try it.

EDIT: Oops, I just realised you already know this from the last time it happened.

Never mind me.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 25, 2022

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Loading slowly for me, but I can still see the embeds.

Last time embeds went all fucky, this was posted to fix it:

EDIT: Oops, I just realised you already know this from the last time it happened.

Never mind me.

Yeah I remember turning it off before but your post made me check it again and somehow it was on again! Thanks!

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
As a reminder, the other and more targeted way to fix it is stuffing this in stylus or usercontent:

code:
[id^="twitter-widget-"] {
  visibility: visible !important;
  display: initial !important;
  min-width: 1px;
  min-height: 1px;
}

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This should have been fixed in Firefox 97. Are you using 97 or 98 beta?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm on 97 and embedded tweets are loading faster, but there's still a noticeable delay for them all to come in on pages with tons of them.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

PirateBob posted:

I'd strongly recommend using a third party password manager like Bitwarden. It has an extension for most browsers and its mobile apps are great.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Knormal posted:

I'm on 97 and embedded tweets are loading faster, but there's still a noticeable delay for them all to come in on pages with tons of them.

Ah. The patch gave the browser a 1 second grace period for embeds before it sticks them in the low power mode poo poo. I guess it is possible for a page with a stupid amount of embeds to fail to load them within that second. Using the Userscript/Stylish hack would solve that issue (you can click the ? under my name to find both of them).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GMail wasn't loading messages properly today, purging ublock origin's filter cache and updating filter lists seems to have fixed it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

GMail wasn't loading messages properly today, purging ublock origin's filter cache and updating filter lists seems to have fixed it.

Same.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nalin posted:

Ah. The patch gave the browser a 1 second grace period for embeds before it sticks them in the low power mode poo poo. I guess it is possible for a page with a stupid amount of embeds to fail to load them within that second. Using the Userscript/Stylish hack would solve that issue (you can click the ? under my name to find both of them).
Yeah, on most pages I don't notice it at all anymore, it's pretty much only the PYF Tweets thread where I still see it. It's not something that bothers me enough to do a hack to fix, I have enough stuff in my CSS I have to keep on top of already.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1757482
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/t3kusc/improve_performance_on_sites_with_embedded/

Looks like they are considering tweaking the iframe stuff again because Twitter is still bad. But, that reddit thread ALSO shows that they added a new about :config option to control the embedded iframe loading so you don't need to use any sort of CSS hacks or disable browser features.

Just set layout.oopif_activity_grace_period_ms to something like 10000 to give it 10 seconds of grace period (it defaults to 1000, 1s).

EDIT: BTW, the cause of this whole mess is that Firefox is throttling iframes that aren't visible on the page as a battery saving mechanic for laptops and mobile devices. Twitter embeds decide to load themselves entirely in the background and only go visible once they are fully loaded. The 1 second grace period was added as a workaround for stuff like this. If you are on a mobile device, maybe increasing it to 2 or 3 seconds would be better, but if you are on a desktop you can just set that value to a minute and never worry about it ever again.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 1, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Well, it's no surprise that Twitters website is poo poo, considering it's a multi-100MB javascript codeblock that's obfuscated to all hell.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Nalin posted:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1757482
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/t3kusc/improve_performance_on_sites_with_embedded/

Looks like they are considering tweaking the iframe stuff again because Twitter is still bad. But, that reddit thread ALSO shows that they added a new about :config option to control the embedded iframe loading so you don't need to use any sort of CSS hacks or disable browser features.

Just set layout.oopif_activity_grace_period_ms to something like 10000 to give it 10 seconds of grace period (it defaults to 1000, 1s).

EDIT: BTW, the cause of this whole mess is that Firefox is throttling iframes that aren't visible on the page as a battery saving mechanic for laptops and mobile devices. Twitter embeds decide to load themselves entirely in the background and only go visible once they are fully loaded. The 1 second grace period was added as a workaround for stuff like this. If you are on a mobile device, maybe increasing it to 2 or 3 seconds would be better, but if you are on a desktop you can just set that value to a minute and never worry about it ever again.

so just this will do, no fission.autostart necessary? It's better now. Could be my connection is not fast enough, too lazy to test it in a different browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

busalover posted:

so just this will do, no fission.autostart necessary? It's better now. Could be my connection is not fast enough, too lazy to test it in a different browser.

Correct. You can enable fission and get the security benefits and just use that option to give hidden iframes a longer grace period to make sure all the Twitter embeds load in time.