Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That sounds rad. If it runs ok I’ll be happy.

I think it'll run like total poo poo on the switch

I wanna compare it to starlink except with an infinite universe, running around on foot, and more freedom/less checklists (although still some, if you wanna find all the flora and fauna of a planet for example). Similar kind of zen chilled atmosphere which yes absolutely can be boring for some.

I stopped playing it on my PC because it had a weird crashing bug often enough to piss me off but I had a good time until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Speaking of space sandboxes has anyone bought astroneer for switch? It would have to run better than no man's sky I would think but it was a weird buggy mess on PC despite being quite fun so I haven't wanted to pull the trigger

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The best Mario RPG is Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and that is not due to the presence of Mario or even Luigi.

what they need to make is obviously Super Mario RPG 2: Wario RPG.

Speaking of, how’s the 3DS remake of that game?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have a pretty solid idea: like poo poo

:hmmyes:

edit: to me, No Man’s Sky is a procedural crafting thing for sci-fi nerds who don’t jive with the fantasy tropes of Minecraft. There are countless great games I just can’t get down with because the Tolkien part of my brain is underdeveloped.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 15, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Butterfly Valley posted:

How long are we gonna use covid as an excuse? There's a billion other much more plausible reasons BotW2 and Prime 4 aren't out yet all to do with big games taking a lot of time to develop and Nintendo are generally better at letting them take as long as they need. Sure covid would have hindered development but it's not like in a world where people didn't gently caress bats we'd have them both out by now

Because COVID pokes multiple perpetual small holes in organizations across a span of time (See also; Logistic and supply chains still being utterly hosed for anything manufactured). Eg; This week it's a programmer out for a week or two. Last month it was a couple of the artists. Might lose a couple programmers more over the coming weeks due to being close-contacts with the first one during an onsite test on demo hardware.

BoTW2 is also going to be a loving huge game, made by a team that isn't a global army of cheap programmers capable of brute-forcing a large open-world game into existence quickly like, say, Ubisoft can. Remember they had to rope in a good portion of other studio's coders to get the first one done (and here's hoping Monolithsoft doesn't wind up hosed over for XC3 to get BOTW2 done like they were for XC2, quite frankly)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anyone have those binbok split controllers? Thinking of getting a set, they have gyro and rumble that the horis don’t

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You know, BotW selling a bazillion copies at $60 for five years providing steady revenue for EPD to make a game that's a worthy successor without having to succumb to crunch, low pay, and all the other lovely practices the rest of the industry does is something I'm perfectly OK with. I just hope that's what's happening and not crunch, low pay, and lovely practices that never make it out because they've buttoned up all the leaks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, how’s the 3DS remake of that game?

Do not get it. It suffers from quite a few technical issues. From what I told others:

quote:

What pushes it into rebreak are the technical issues. The loading times are significantly worse and will add up a lot since you get into a lot of battles, outright slowdown during certain parts of the game (quite a few Bros. attacks, especially Falling Star was a good way to cause some during battles), and sometimes the game just hanging while it was unloading a segment you just went through. Hell I saw a pretty nasty glitch where the screen just blanked out entirely for one cutscene and things only went back to normal when it was over.

The game did make some improvements, a big one being no mic controls so the Fawful train battle is way more tolerable to get through, but aside from that the issues kind of push it into rebreak territory rather than remake.

The inputs in the Giant Bowser battles are also just kind of hosed up. The rapid tapping segments have the issue of not polling the touchscreen frequently enough to check for inputs, so several rapid taps in a row end up being registered as you holding the stylus on the touch screen, so you have to "slow tap" to easily clear those segments.

Just pick up the DS version instead.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 15, 2022

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Speaking of space sandboxes has anyone bought astroneer for switch? It would have to run better than no man's sky I would think but it was a weird buggy mess on PC despite being quite fun so I haven't wanted to pull the trigger

Get the original instead. The remake offers nothing new & looks worse. The DS version had gorgeous pixel art & vibrant colors. The remake uses the same art style & assets that the 4 other 3DS M&L games use.

The new side mode "Bowser Jr's journey" is absolute garbage.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The DS version is also still cheap despite DS games getting into stupid territories with resale value these days. It helps that it sold 8 billion copies and isn't named "Pokemon"

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Nintendo are being cool with the new Mario Kart DLC, which will be shuffled into the online rotation for everyone so as not to fragment the online player base. Also if your friends own the DLC you can play it online with them even if you don't.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Nintendo are being cool with the new Mario Kart DLC, which will be shuffled into the online rotation for everyone so as not to fragment the online player base. Also if your friends own the DLC you can play it online with them even if you don't.

yoooo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

Do not get it. It suffers from quite a few technical issues. From what I told others:

Just pick up the DS version instead.

Yikes, thanks for the warning

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Is Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity good (as far as these musou games go) or should I just play the first HW that everyone seemed to love

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
HW is more of a love letter to the whole Zelda series up to that point, AoC is focused on BotW stuff. So it really depends on what flavor of setting you're interested in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From what I’ve seen AoC basically takes the Hyrule Warriors template and adds some BOTW flare to it (like larger maps and more abilities for characters), also as mentioned above it’s pretty firmly set in the BOTW universe

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The first HW is better, play that instead.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Is Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity good (as far as these musou games go) or should I just play the first HW that everyone seemed to love

it's pretty bad but kinda fun. i didn't play the first one but AoC has you fight big chunky boss units 95% of the time to take over the control points and it's like BotW combat but worse, and there's nothing else really in the game, since nothing seems to happen on the strategic layer of the game. you just rush the control points for every mission. i enjoyed unlocking a lot of new characters and trying them out though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

It's good if you liked BotW and it's probably the only time in LoZ history where Zelda is the focus of the story.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The original Hyrule Warriors has way more content on switch, since it has all the dlc from multiple releases included. It also has more of a focus on the battlefield-scale fights, with the player needing to capture bases around the map.

Age of Calamity has more polished mechanics for actually fighting, with a lot of small improvements over the original. There’s also much less of a focus on the battlefield stuff, and more on combat gauntlets.

They’re both good. I’d say Age of Calamity is a bit better moment to moment because of the gameplay improvements, but I got more time out of the original because of how much more there is to do.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lunar detritus posted:

It's good if you liked BotW and it's probably the only time in LoZ history where Zelda is the focus of the story.

she already had two games starring her actually... maybe you've heard of them...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

American McGay posted:

The first HW is better, play that instead.

This.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

HW:DE has a lot more variety in mission types. Been playing adventure mode again, full cleared the first two maps, working through the master quest map. It's fun.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

FOLKS

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1493634022005559299

that's an insta-buy from me. fantastic, fantastic game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's routinely like $12 on the eShop.

But yeah, extremely good and funny game.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

drat, had no idea it was on the switch at all!

well, i prefer physical, so i'm still happy with this.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

abelwingnut posted:

FOLKS

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1493634022005559299

that's an insta-buy from me. fantastic, fantastic game.

I already got it on Switch, Steam, iOS and the original CD-ROM and you bet your giant orange demonic rear end I'm getting this too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't want people to ask me about Grim Fandango.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Foul Fowl posted:

it's pretty bad but kinda fun. i didn't play the first one but AoC has you fight big chunky boss units 95% of the time to take over the control points and it's like BotW combat but worse, and there's nothing else really in the game, since nothing seems to happen on the strategic layer of the game. you just rush the control points for every mission. i enjoyed unlocking a lot of new characters and trying them out though.

I didn't like the first one as much because the chunky boss units also made you use items like the bombs and bow and arrow that felt completely out of place on the characters movesets. At least the sheikah slate stuff is flavored to the user

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The strategic gameplay, mission variety, and feeling of controlling an army is far better in the first HW game.

The combat is far better in AoC, mostly because there's basically always something your character can be doing to force weak point gauges out from enemies, as opposed to the first HW game where you stand around for two and a half minutes waiting for the giant boss to do the one attack that exposes its weak point.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fly Ricky posted:

:hmmyes:

edit: to me, No Man’s Sky is a procedural crafting thing for sci-fi nerds who don’t jive with the fantasy tropes of Minecraft. There are countless great games I just can’t get down with because the Tolkien part of my brain is underdeveloped.

You know, this may be true. It would explain why I love No Man's Sky so much, despite despising Minecraft so much at the same time. I can't stop leaving a string of bizarre towers to nowhere and strange archaeological monuments to my own hubris behind me as I slowly travel from one technicolor 70s SF-world after another.

Still, my reaction to NMS on Switch: :psyduck:

This can't possibly work, considering how fast my PS4 starts choking when I'm building any base of substantial size.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Maybe they finally got somebody to optimize it

The switch is a wonderful device, but by far the best thing it's done is force devs to optimize their loving games again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

by far the best thing it's done is force devs to optimize their loving games again

lol not any more. It’s all cloud poo poo from here on out

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1493660718666817538

Libluini posted:

Still, my reaction to NMS on Switch: :psyduck:

This can't possibly work, considering how fast my PS4 starts choking when I'm building any base of substantial size.

I assumed it was another streaming deal, is it an actual port?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

flavor.flv posted:

Maybe they finally got somebody to "optimize" the trailer

:tinfoil:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Electromax posted:

[url][/url]

I assumed it was another streaming deal, is it an actual port?

They didn't say cloud or streaming at all, which is standard for titles that use it.
If it is cart + DL, I'll be very impressed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Suddenly, I realize why the PS4 got bombarded with new updates starting last year, all apparently mostly targeting performance. Like, one of my worst glitched bases improved vastly from "not even the glass ceiling exists" to "only sometimes storms seep through the walls", which is enormous considering before that, just standing around too far from the walls could get you killed if a lethal ice storm suddenly teleported through the glitched walls

Still, I'll wait a bit to see how bad peoples' Switches catch on fire after NMS releases on Switch before making a decision

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

They'll put 6 gigs on the cart and require a 15 gig download for the rest. But it still counts as physical, right?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I did enjoy Subnautica a whole lot so if the loop is just going from planet to planet leaving behind phallic monoliths and it is actually playable on the Switch, I could see myself getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Feels like a bad set-up to invoke Minecraft and Subnautica when describing NMS, but I think there's a pretty enjoyable set of gameloops to go through before you start hitting that point of "why am I doing any of this" sets in. I put off completing the main story for as long as possible because I kind of feared I'd run out of "okay did this now what's next" feeling. There is more to do after it and the story itself is optional and only added later into the game, but that's still about when I started running low on self-directed goals. Getting your big megaship that's a buildable base and smaller-ship hangar was sweet, probably the only time in gaming I got maybe what Star Citizen types wanted from a videogame. Like yeah, it is pretty cool to go from your Star Destroyer command bridge, down to your sweet multi-floor space-base, then into your ship hangar to hop into a ship and fly to a planet down through the atmosphere nad onto a planet, then your get to name a bunch of hosed up pokemon and rocks like a self-appointed Adam.