Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mmkay posted:

It was known for a couple of days that there'd be a vote this week (don't remember if it was supposed to be today specifically).

It was.

fatherboxx posted:

Yes, it was set to voting few days ago

In a funny turn of events this one was proposed by non-dominant party - CPRF; it is extremely inflammatory worded BUT obviously United Russia cant allow to vote against recognizing DNR (dont want to be seen as traitors or weaklings)... so they proposed another appeal, that sends the final decision to be DISCUSSED with Foreign Ministry (and, presumably, to be set on hold eternally).
So there are going to be two unanimously approved conflicting Appeals.

Clown show

Oh, the MoFA delegation is still happening? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Brogeoisie posted:

They can't do poo poo is the thing. Russia exports equivalent of US on petroleum + petroleum product exports. US supplies all of Latin America with the majority of their road fuels. Even Brazil imports more than 25% of their fuels despite massive ethanol and biodiesel uptick and large refining network. Imagine zeroing out all of that oil supply -- what happens? It's gigantic. It would throw world into a global recession near overnight, particularly hurting all of Europe. US could divert their minimal import flows of russian diesel and buy more Saudi crude and fuel oil, but Europe is absolutely screwed, especially central Europe as they really rely on Druzbha pipeline to move Russian Ural crude into their refineries.

So what realistically can they sanction energy related? Well, if they sanction nord stream 2, it just makes natural gas forever expensive and similarly ruins global economy. If they sanction russian ammonia and Belarusian potash, we get more expensive food because crop yields collapse. I could go down the list-- each and every one Europe and greater world loses big time. Sanctions WILL backfire.

It does not help that this is one of tightest commodity markets in last 15 years. Can you meaningfully cut their arctic exploration or whatever Obama did back in 2014 -- sure but it doesn't matter.

Russia is too big to sanction meaningfully. It is entirely optics that anyone can sanction them and/or will it meaningfully influence their decision making

It doesn’t have to go to zero. In addition to what you already said that’s also great way to put Russia into a position where they have no choice but go full aggro or entirely collapse. I was thinking more in the terms of accelerating plans to divest. I have no idea what percentage that would come out to in say, ten years, probably not much. However seeing long term trends move in the wrong direction is definitely something a petrol state will take notice of

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 15, 2022

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

They coyld have voted for DLNR recognition at any moment, you don't need a troop buildup to do that. The problem of such recognition is it means that Russia officially invalidates Minsk agreements and trying to force Kiev to follow these agreements was their entire policy since 2014.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The document is non binding anyway (it is an airy Appeal) so the President can sneeze into it if he wants.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Follow their interpretation of Minsk*

But yeah if they formally annex the territory like that, they take away another tool that allowed Germany and France to lie to themselves about how Russia is totally worth talking to as an equal in peace negotiations with third parties and not at all party to the war.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My prediction is Putin's not going to sign it. See, unlike our Western partners, I have the political will to go against parliament just to honour international agreements. (also, my oligarch friends don't want their assets seized abroad due to sanctions)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lmao, German chancellor is in Moscow talking to Putin right now and he's also seated at the long table cause he refused to take the Russian PCR test.

I have very little doubt that they would do a genome sequencing and file that poo poo somewhere just to have it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
gently caress you, Rupert Murdoch!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GABA ghoul posted:

Lmao, German chancellor is in Moscow talking to Putin right now and he's also seated at the long table cause he refused to take the Russian PCR test.

I have very little doubt that they would do a genome sequencing and file that poo poo somewhere just to have it

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

gently caress you, Rupert Murdoch!

My friend in Telegram has shared Discord intel that 420,000 Russian troops will invade Ukraine at 6:9pm.

GABA ghoul posted:

Same reason Macron sat at the table.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Same reason Macron sat at the table.

I can even see the rationale somewhat. Aside from the creepiness and privacy aspect, Russia massively supports the political opposition in Germany(especially fascists and neo-nazis) and a sequenced genome could potentially contain valuable information that could be leaked to the opposition during an election. Maybe Scholz and Macron have some secret lovechild or some high predisposition towards neurological diseases that the Nazis can use in a smear campaign. Better not risk that poo poo at all, even if it's a negligible risk.

He did offer to do the test in the German embassy using German equipment and allow multiple Russian witnesses for the whole process but Russia refused lol

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

I can even see the rationale somewhat. Aside from the creepiness and privacy aspect, Russia massively supports the political opposition in Germany(especially fascists and neo-nazis) and a sequenced genome could potentially contain valuable information that could be leaked to the opposition during an election. Maybe Scholz and Macron have some secret lovechild or some high predisposition towards neurological diseases that the Nazis can use in a smear campaign. Better not risk that poo poo at all, even if it's a negligible risk.

He did offer to do the test in the German embassy using German equipment and allow multiple Russian witnesses for the whole process but Russia refused lol

:chloe:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GABA ghoul posted:

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/tassagency_en/status/1493585951695810569

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

GABA ghoul posted:

At that point I would stay home and have a videoconference. Germany should have the insight that this visit is meaningless anyway. They keep whining about the environment and have their chancellor fly to a meeting that can hardly be called "in-person" anyway.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I guess we're probating all the posts that treat that weird bioconspiracy nonsense with the contempt that it deserves, so I'll unfortunately have to pretend it's worth an actual response:

First, there's almost nothing useful that would be gained from having world leaders' genomes on file. The notion that it's for genome collection rather than just a drat COVID test is absurd.

Second, even if we grant that they may want it, whole-genome sequencing is literally part of my job. If you want DNA from somebody who enters your house, you can get DNA from somebody who enters your house, especially if you in charge of Russia. It's easier to sequence with full coverage a sample that's carefully provided by your target, but you don't need it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is the Putin is collecting European saliva for secret medical experiments and/or magical reagents the European version of QAnon or what's going on

E: does Putin do the hexes himself or does he contract out to a bog-witch or Rasputin

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

E: does Putin do the hexes himself or does he contract out to a bog-witch or Rasputin

Please the Russian government hasn't used witch hexes in decades. These days all it's playing god with other peoples saliva is done via mad scientists in labs in castles, a top creepy, stormy, mountain tops.

A lot of good peer reviewed papers come from labs.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
As I predicted, Putin's not signing the LDNR recognition bill. For now anyway.

quote:

MPs clearly share the deep concern their voters have for the people of Donbas. We must do everything to solve the problem of Donbas, but first and foremost it should be done through the not fully realised opportunities to implement the Minsk agreements.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

As I predicted, Putin's not signing the LDNR recognition bill. For now anyway.

Wonder what the play is here.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I guess we're probating all the posts that treat that weird bioconspiracy nonsense with the contempt that it deserves, so I'll unfortunately have to pretend it's worth an actual response:

First, there's almost nothing useful that would be gained from having world leaders' genomes on file. The notion that it's for genome collection rather than just a drat COVID test is absurd.

Second, even if we grant that they may want it, whole-genome sequencing is literally part of my job. If you want DNA from somebody who enters your house, you can get DNA from somebody who enters your house, especially if you in charge of Russia. It's easier to sequence with full coverage a sample that's carefully provided by your target, but you don't need it.

Take it up with Scholz and Macron. They are the ones who didn't want to submit samples to the Russian state out of fear that they are gonna be sequenced. Or the US president, who famously even gets their turds collected from a portable toilet by a secret service agent out of the same fear.

Especially Scholz probably still remembers a time when the GDR used to to do creepy poo poo like keep extensive archives of body odor samples of people. The Stasi and KGB did some pretty wild stuff back in the day.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
This is starting to feel like a play

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Anyway everyone knows if you want to extract DNA samples from world leaders you don't bluff them into agreeing to medical tests under your control, that's too obvious.

You just send them an invitation to Epstein Island

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CommieGIR posted:

It's another attempt to make Ukraine follow the Minsk agreements. As explicitly stated. Do what you've agreed to, or we can recognise LDNR at any moment.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sekenr posted:

They coyld have voted for DLNR recognition at any moment, you don't need a troop buildup to do that. The problem of such recognition is it means that Russia officially invalidates Minsk agreements and trying to force Kiev to follow these agreements was their entire policy since 2014.

At any other time that recognition would be far more likely to face sanctions. But as you said, it's unclear that doing that actually brings any benefits.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Good thing they’re not leaving bits of hair and dead skin cells at that table!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Good thing they’re not leaving bits of hair and dead skin cells at that table!

The trick is to take a baggie full of random hair and skin flakes from hundreds of people and dump it onto your chair before you sit down so the Russians will never be able to identify yours

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Inject someone else's piss into your bladder than piss it out in a Kremlin toilet as a funny prank. Two years pass, and Russia installs a cloned horse as Germany's chancellor.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Inject someone else's piss into your bladder than piss it out in a Kremlin toilet as a funny prank. Two years pass, and Russia installs a cloned horse as Germany's chancellor.

olbig. Lavrov?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

fatherboxx posted:

Now I'd like to see how much this stupid loving flex costed (in addition to another kick in ruble's balls)

don’t forgot to include the hundreds of millions the west dumped into ukraine the past few weeks over this incredibly obvious farce

E: b =/ m

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Orthe US president, who famously even gets their turds collected from a portable toilet by a secret service agent out of the same fear.

I thought that was so no information about potential diseases leak into other countries' hands?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GABA ghoul posted:

BREAKING: Gene sequencing reveals Emmanuel Macron is a mere mortal, not an Olympian deity of the ancient pantheon as previously claimed. What else is he hiding?

If the Russians wanted to analyze any politician's genes because ???? they would just analyze residue from a coffee cup or whatever

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

don’t forgot to include the hundreds of billions the west dumped into ukraine the past few weeks over this incredibly obvious farce

I'll let american posters care about that (can't forget the american feelings, the most important in the world) while most state hospitals are overworked to the point of implosion and my president plays a dumb map game

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
You know the scene in Alien Resurrection with the failed Ripley clones? That but with Scholz. It's also interesting to see the White House tee off on ZeroHedge. I don't care for them that much but Biden's admin appears to embrace you're either with us or against us very heavily (see the Kabul airstrike for another example). Oh well, maybe we'll get some clarity tomorrow.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I imagine foreign leaders just don't trust Russian doctors with shoving anything into their noses. Probably not that justified, but whatever, security protocols are weird.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Raskolnikov38 posted:

don’t forgot to include the hundreds of millions the west dumped into ukraine the past few weeks over this incredibly obvious farce

I mean Javelins are expensive but they're not that expensive.

e: didn't catch your edit

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I thought the "Americans are completely unable to understand the world without America at its center" line from the last thread was a little overblown, but oh boy have all the posters who suddenly popped up to use this crisis as a backdrop against which to whine about Biden proven me wrong.

For slightly less "posting about posting" content:

It's heartening to see initial signs of Putin backing down from his threats, though we should wait until demobilization has more visible completed to pop the champagne.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 15, 2022

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

West can afford it. Meanwhile Russians continue to live in poverty on levels that don't make sense for a nation with such resources

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mmkay posted:

I thought that was so no information about potential diseases leak into other countries' hands?

Maybe, I dunno?

Here is the first google result on the subject, an Atlantic article from 2012 citing unconfirmed sources that the secret service tries to collects everything that touches the president's lips.

I only skimmed the article but it also claims that the WikiLeaks cables contained orders from Clinton to collect DNA samples from foreign heads of states and UN officials whenever possible. So that may actually be a thing that states do nowadays

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/11/hacking-the-presidents-dna/309147/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Putin would lose the option to exploit vaguely written Minsk agreements in the event where Russia recognises LDNR sovereignties. If he doesn’t mean to achieve his goals by force here, the agreements constitute one of the better pathways towards a de jure blockade of Ukrainian membership in Western organisations.